IFSA/Alliance: Summer in Shanghai

Spend your summer in Shanghai! Our Summer in Shanghai program allows students to benefit from this cosmopolitan city’s many resources over the course of eight weeks. Students may focus on immersion in Chinese language or within a Chinese workplace, contextualized through the study of contemporary Chinese society and economy.

The program center is located on the campus of Shanghai University of Finance and Economics (SUFE). You will have the opportunity to participate in weekly cultural activities and take a weekend excursion outside of Shanghai.

Adrian

The Best Way to Learn Chinese Quickly

I did the Intensive Chinese Language summer programme in Shanghai, and my Chinese language ability advanced more in two months than it had in a year of studying Chinese at my college in the U.S. The programme is designed perfectly for students to learn a lot of Chinese in a short period of time: daily Chinese classes, fantastic teachers, a language pledge, a Chinese homestay family, living in China!!! From discussing Chinese culture with my teachers to telling my homestay family about South African politics (I'm from South Africa), all done in Chinese, not only my language ability but also my confidence to tackle complex conversations grew immensely. I would recommend this programme to anyone who wants to learn as much Chinese as possible in a few months, as well as learning a lot about Chinese culture and society and living in a different country.

The only thing that was somewhat inconvenient was having to make the commute from homestays to classes every day. It would be better if the homestays were closer, but I also know that this is a very difficult issue to solve as it is hard to find families willing to host international students and who are suitable as homestay families, particularly to find such families within a close proximity of the school.

About Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA)

The Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1988. Our primary goal is to provide quality study abroad opportunities, plus academic and personal support services, for qualified North American undergraduates seeking to...