IFSA-Butler: University of Edinburgh

IFSA-Butler: University of Edinburgh

Hallo agus fàilte! Study abroad amid beauty, history and friendliness by making Scotland your home for a semester, year or summer. The country is an impressive mixture of fertile farmland, rugged cliffs and mountains, yet it also has its share of sophisticated cities and friendly towns. Scotland’s long history shows in the architecture and preserved ruins throughout the country, but Scots of all ages are also enjoying a cultural and artistic renaissance.

Edinburgh is a wonderful study abroad destination, combining the rich history of an ancient city with the modern feel of a capital city. Founded in 1583, the University of Edinburgh is located in the heart of the city and has consistently ranked as one of the top 50 universities in the world.

Europe » Scotland » Edinburgh
Sociology
Theology
Zoology and Wildlife Sciences
Letters of Recommendation
IFSA-Butler doesn't believe in the nickel-and-dime approach to the study abroad experience. All of our programs include events and excursions exclusively for our students throughout their time abroad. We see these extras as a part of the larger academic experience. There are no hidden fees or expenses on an IFSA-Butler program. All of our fees, deposits and any supplemental charges such as meal plans are clearly outlined in our program fees.

IFSA-Butler has awarded millions of dollars in merit- and need-based scholarships over the past five years. Awards range from $500 to $5,000. We also believe that study abroad should be within the reach of every student, so we offer a wide range of scholarships and financing opportunities for our students.

Rachel
Saint Paul
Arizona State University

Do it do it do it do it do it do it

I AGONIZED over whether to pick a program in Scotland or in Ireland. The most important thing to me was being in an interesting place where I could both explore independently and have the opportunity to make really close friendships. Scotland ended up being PERFECT for me. I fell in love with Edinburgh, with my classes, with the people I met. The IFSA-Butler staff are SO NICE and knowledgeable and helpful about literally everything - from practical questions like registering to class to finding a hostel in Nice for Spring Break. It was a big program, sure, but there definitely was a strong sense of community in our cohort and I wouldn't trade the experience I had for anything.

Anna
Providence, RI
Providence College

The Best Decision I've Ever Made

I always knew I wanted to study abroad, but I really had no idea how incredible the experience actually is. During my time at the University of Edinburgh, I made lifelong friends, explored places in Scotland and Europe as a whole, learned a lot, and gained the ability to truly call someplace my second home. I did not want to leave, and my only regret is the fact that I went for just a semester and not the entire year. Edinburgh is, in my opinion, the perfect city. It's small enough that by the end of your time there, you can actually feel as if you know it inside and out. There's a mix of culture and history and nature, tons of amazing restaurants, museums, bars, and other venues. The people are ridiculously friendly and though whenever I told someone I was going to Scotland they commented about the weather, I really came to like it. IFSA-Butler was an amazing resource, with welcoming and accessible program directors. I particularly loved the various weekend excursions they offer (if you have the chance to go to the Isle of Skye, do it) as well as the homestay weekend, which allowed me to see part of the Lake District. Overall studying abroad was, as the review headline suggests, absolutely the best decision I've ever made.

Kevin
Tuscaloosa, AL
University of Alabama- Birmingham

What an awesome city.

After five months in Edinburgh, I never wanted to leave. The excellent quality of the University of Edinburgh, the city's myriad attractions, and the friendly and welcoming nature of the locals all made this a memorable trip. I can't wait to go back and visit.

Maddy
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Colorado College

A Year at the University of Edinburgh

My year at the University of Edinburgh was challenging, bewildering beautiful, and life-changing. The chance to study at an international university brought new angles and light to my studies back at home-- the classes that I took at the University of Edinburgh have inspired my thesis topic for my upcoming year. Edinburgh is the first UNESCO City of Literature, and studying lit there was a very moving experience. One of my favorite memories from the University of Edinburgh was when my art history professor took a group of students an hours drive outside the city to see the garden-installation by the internationally renowned artist Ian Hamilton Finlay, called "Little Sparta" (in conversation with Edinburgh's nickname "The Athens of the North"). The chance to see that piece really brought together the things that I valued most about my time at the University of Edinburgh-- amazing professors, a beautiful country, and unique, location-specific experiences.

The Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University (IFSA-Butler) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1988. Our primary goal is to provide quality study abroad opportunities, plus academic and personal support services, for qualified North American undergraduates seeking to earn academic credit through study abroad.

IFSA-Butler