IFSA: University of Edinburgh Partnership

Hallo agus fàilte! Study abroad amid beauty, history and friendliness by making Scotland your home for a semester, year or summer. The country is an impressive mixture of fertile farmland, rugged cliffs and mountains, yet it also has its share of sophisticated cities and friendly towns. Scotland’s long history shows in the architecture and preserved ruins throughout the country, but Scots of all ages are also enjoying a cultural and artistic renaissance.

Edinburgh is a wonderful study abroad destination, combining the rich history of an ancient city with the modern feel of a capital city. Founded in 1583, the University of Edinburgh is located in the heart of the city and has consistently ranked as one of the top 50 universities in the world.

Joseph

Amazing Study Abroad Experience

I didn’t know anyone in Scotland or in the IFSA program and ended up meeting one of my best friends through the program. I also found Edinburgh to be the perfect study abroad experience as the culture was easy to integrate into, the school was a quick walk from my housing, and the city was a lot of fun. IFSA did a great job of providing resources for getting to know the country and city as well as a comfortable transition into the study Abroad’s experience.

Make the homestay optional as it made it seem difficult for me to join the American football club team.
Maya

IFSA Really Made The Experience!

When I decided to study abroad, I wasn't completely sure what I was getting myself into. Others had told me studying abroad was a life changing experience, so I took the opportunity and pushed myself outside of my comfort zone. I'm extremely thankful that I went with IFSA's University of Edinburgh Partnership because I felt that they really made the difference. They told me everything I needed to know about navigating life and academics at Edinburgh, provided great resources and support for dealing with culture shock, and our trip to Inverness in the Scottish Highlands was the highlight of my semester. I met a lot of incredible people thanks to IFSA and I feel like they greatly reduced the stress of adjusting to a new country and made the entire experience so much fun. I recommend that even if you're not planning to go to Edinburgh to try and find a program through IFSA because they know a lot about the local culture and host school and the staff really want to make your time abroad special.

Rachel

Do it do it do it do it do it do it

I AGONIZED over whether to pick a program in Scotland or in Ireland. The most important thing to me was being in an interesting place where I could both explore independently and have the opportunity to make really close friendships. Scotland ended up being PERFECT for me. I fell in love with Edinburgh, with my classes, with the people I met. The IFSA-Butler staff are SO NICE and knowledgeable and helpful about literally everything - from practical questions like registering to class to finding a hostel in Nice for Spring Break. It was a big program, sure, but there definitely was a strong sense of community in our cohort and I wouldn't trade the experience I had for anything.

Anna

The Best Decision I've Ever Made

I always knew I wanted to study abroad, but I really had no idea how incredible the experience actually is. During my time at the University of Edinburgh, I made lifelong friends, explored places in Scotland and Europe as a whole, learned a lot, and gained the ability to truly call someplace my second home. I did not want to leave, and my only regret is the fact that I went for just a semester and not the entire year. Edinburgh is, in my opinion, the perfect city. It's small enough that by the end of your time there, you can actually feel as if you know it inside and out. There's a mix of culture and history and nature, tons of amazing restaurants, museums, bars, and other venues. The people are ridiculously friendly and though whenever I told someone I was going to Scotland they commented about the weather, I really came to like it. IFSA-Butler was an amazing resource, with welcoming and accessible program directors. I particularly loved the various weekend excursions they offer (if you have the chance to go to the Isle of Skye, do it) as well as the homestay weekend, which allowed me to see part of the Lake District. Overall studying abroad was, as the review headline suggests, absolutely the best decision I've ever made.

Kevin

What an awesome city.

After five months in Edinburgh, I never wanted to leave. The excellent quality of the University of Edinburgh, the city's myriad attractions, and the friendly and welcoming nature of the locals all made this a memorable trip. I can't wait to go back and visit.

Maddy

A Year at the University of Edinburgh

My year at the University of Edinburgh was challenging, bewildering beautiful, and life-changing. The chance to study at an international university brought new angles and light to my studies back at home-- the classes that I took at the University of Edinburgh have inspired my thesis topic for my upcoming year. Edinburgh is the first UNESCO City of Literature, and studying lit there was a very moving experience. One of my favorite memories from the University of Edinburgh was when my art history professor took a group of students an hours drive outside the city to see the garden-installation by the internationally renowned artist Ian Hamilton Finlay, called "Little Sparta" (in conversation with Edinburgh's nickname "The Athens of the North"). The chance to see that piece really brought together the things that I valued most about my time at the University of Edinburgh-- amazing professors, a beautiful country, and unique, location-specific experiences.

About Institute for Study Abroad

The Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1988. Our primary goal is to provide quality study abroad opportunities, plus academic and personal support services, for qualified North American undergraduates seeking to...