IFSA-Butler: Study Abroad Programs in New Zealand

IFSA-Butler: Study Abroad Programs in New Zealand

Top-notch academics meet exquisite natural beauty and Maori culture in New Zealand. Enjoy outdoor adventure by taking advantage of hiking, skiing, fishing, camping and river rafting opportunities throughout the country, or simply take a stroll through the famously beautiful countryside. New Zealand has plenty of urban excitement, too. From the vibrant capital city of Wellington to sophisticated Auckland to college-town Dunedin, New Zealand’s cities feature sports, entertainment, cultural attractions and lots to see and do. It’s no wonder Lonely Planet named New Zealand the top destination in the world two years in a row!

The flexibility of the New Zealand university system gives you a great selection of courses and subjects, as well as the opportunity to truly immerse yourself into the Kiwi culture.

Programs are available at the following New Zealand universities:
Social Sciences
Sociology
Theater, Drama and Dance
Letters of Recommendation
IFSA-Butler doesn't believe in the nickel-and-dime approach to the study abroad experience. All of our programs include events and excursions exclusively for our students throughout their time abroad. We see these extras as a part of the larger academic experience. There are no hidden fees or expenses on an IFSA-Butler program. All of our fees, deposits and any supplemental charges such as meal plans are clearly outlined in our program fees.

IFSA-Butler has awarded millions of dollars in merit- and need-based scholarships over the past five years. Awards range from $500 to $5,000. We also believe that study abroad should be within the reach of every student, so we offer a wide range of scholarships and financing opportunities for our students.

Riley
Vanderbilt University
University of Auckland

University of Auckland with IFSA-Butler

This past semester was amazing from the beginning to the end. IFSA-Butler made the departure process simple and easy, which relieved a lot of potential stress right off the bat. Throughout the semester they scheduled excursions and weekly meet-ups that allowed us to explore parts of New Zealand that we might not have been able to otherwise (some of my favorites were white-water rafting, visiting Hobbiton, and seeing the geothermal pools). If we ever had any problems or questions we knew that there was an adviser right in Auckland (ours was Amanda, she is the coolest). I really loved the classes that I got to take at the University of Auckland. One of them was Kapa Haka, which is a form of Maori dance employed by the famous All-Blacks before each of their rugby games. I also got to take Introduction to Wine Science, which included a field trip to the nearby island Waiheke, known for its many vineyards. I made most of my friends through IFSA-Butler. Most of us were from different places in the US, and we ended up getting along great right off the bat. Almost every weekend we would travel to a different area of New Zealand. I didn't have much experience travelling before this, so it was nice to have a group of friends as well as IFSA-Butler for support. New Zealand is an amazing country and I'm so glad I got to study there!

Nothing I can think of.

Aubrey
Nashville, TN
Vanderbilt University

Go to NZ with IFSA!

NZ was a dream, and I still can't believe it happened. IFSA really made it the awesome experience that it was with the amazing excursions and incredibly nice, helpful staff. People from other programs were always jealous to hear about all the things we were doing and how responsive our student coordinator was, and I felt bad that they didn't have as great a support system as we did. It was such an awesome semester, and I hope to go back someday (and I know I can reach out to the IFSA NZ staff members when I do)!

Emily
Seal Beach, CA
Brandeis University

So Glad To Have Gone

Learning about New Zealand was something that I knew I would do, but I never intended to actually fall in love with the country, and that couldn't have happened without the support of IFSA Butler. It was through this program that I studied abroad in Auckland, NZ, and I have nothing but positive things to say about the program itself. I felt supported the entire time, and if I ever needed anything, there were people whose actual job it was to help me out, and I loved knowing that.

UniLodge is kinda not the greatest place to live...

David
Nashville, TN
University of Auckland

Just don't.

I am the sole person that I have ever heard who had a genuinely horrible experience while studying abroad, and I had the displeasure of having this semester abroad at the University of Auckland. University accommodations are in pitiful conditions - I hope you enjoy creepy crawlers in your room, and bedbugs! Also, let me tell you the real truth about academics here. DO NOT come to New Zealand with the idea that grading is easier abroad. Every other person I know that has studied abroad has come to find this to be the case. It may be, however that may be everywhere outside of New Zealand. Read up on "Tall Poppy Syndrome" which New Zealanders fully embrace. The phrase "Cs get degrees" which we use in the US in a more joking way is a way of life in NZ. Cs are all the students expect so as not to be a "tall poppy," hence, the professors also feel the same way. You will not receive an A at this institution, you will barely get a B, BUT if your grades transfer as P/F then you're set, because everyone is guaranteed a C. The final thing I would like to point out is that New Zealand is a small country, the physical size of Colorado with the population of Kentucky. There is only so much to do in the country, and once you have run out of these things and you would like to explore "the region" you've got a minimum 4 hour flight and $800USD ahead of you.

Response from IFSA/Alliance

We are very sorry to hear that your experience didn't live up to your expectations. We would love to have a follow-up conversation with you to chat about how we can better prepare students for the academic expectations in New Zealand. Please drop us a line at [email protected] at any time!

lal19
Corvallis, Oregon
Miles College

IFSA Butler New Zealand

IFSA Butler staff was incredibly supportive throughout the entire experience. IFSA Butler provides a great orientation and various day and weekend events throughout the term abroad. They make sure they are available for any needs and concerns.

The Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University (IFSA-Butler) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1988. Our primary goal is to provide quality study abroad opportunities, plus academic and personal support services, for qualified North American undergraduates seeking to earn academic credit through study abroad.

IFSA-Butler