Intercultura: Total Spanish Immersion with Homestay Family

Intercultura: Total Spanish Immersion with Homestay Family

If you are looking for a constant Spanish immersion and instruction throughout their stay, in a comfortable home with modern amenities, this is the right Spanish study program for you. You receive 20 hours per week of private instruction by a highly qualified professor in your homestay house, in an area conducive to learning, to ensure continuance of the complete immersion concept.

Families are genuinely interested in the cultural interchange experience of hosting a 24/7 immersion student. Price includes 2 local tours per week, which are done with your family, in private transportation, all costs included. Check out all details of the program by clicking on "Visit Site"!

North America » Costa Rica » Heredia
North America » Costa Rica
Spanish

Molly
Iowa
Wartburg College

Be ready to have a smile on your face the whole time!

I have never studied abroad before in my life, so getting the opportunity to go to Intercultura as my first experience was the greatest treat. The program was set up very wonderfully ! The teachers made the classes as much fun as possible with activities in the park, group improvisation, and games to improve our vocabulary and speaking skills. The weekend excursions were also amazing! I did so many new things that I will always remember. Getting to go zip-lining, rafting, and seeing monkeys all in one month? Can't beat that! Overall, I would do to this program every year if I had the time!

The classes could be slightly more challenging, however I had a diverse class who were at different levels of Spanish, so I think the academics were good since my class fluctuated a lot, and if I had it even more difficult, others may have found it too hard. But overall, it was great!

Randi
Baltimore, Maryland
University of Baltimore

Maravilloso! Wonderful en español

I enjoyed a wonderful two week immersion with the best teacher (Monica), and a welcoming family (Jeannette). Many activities: The Nutcracker ballet at the Teatro Nacional in San Jose, the capital. Two films at the San Jose International Film Festival 2015. Two cooking classes and an coffee planation tour. A weekend at the Parque de Nacional Manuel Antonio with parasailing, jet skis and surfing. And fascinating walks through the towns and cities. Plus I learned the verb endings for past tense and future tense!

Eric
Charlotte, NC

Good start....

Really enjoyed my host family. Mi professora was great. The staff were all very kind and helpful. I should have stayed longer.....only one week. The city is beautiful and very easy to get around. Only problem was if there is rain, you will get wet.

In my particular class, there was one man who monopolized the time. That was a bit frustrating. The teacher did what she could to stay on track but it was not very easy or effective.

Natasha
UK

Homestay in Heredia

I took a weeks' course at each of Intercultura's locations, although I only stayed with a host family in Heredia.

The host family experience was fantastic and I thoroughly recommend it! I was impressed by the high standard of the home; the family were really fun, warm and caring and made time to talk to us each day. They spoke almost no English with guaranteed a fully immersive environment and kept me thinking in Spanish all day! Having meals included was really convenient and saved a lot of time (handy when there’s homework to complete!) and allowed us to sample traditional every day Costa Rican food.

I was happy with the facilities at the school and quality of teaching, and I particularly appreciated the way the curriculum was structured into one-week set programmes with an individual textbook. It’s a really great way to accommodate students who are constantly joining and departing each week, and ensures students aren’t placed in a group that has already been running for some time, or don’t end up repeating things to accommodate new students. Having someone arrange excursions was also a huge bonus, as it made it so much easier to get out and about and see the local sights – especially when the school has it’s own transportation.

I really enjoyed Heredia as a city, personally probably more than Samara beach as I prefer urban living to the outdoors. My favourite art was probably going to see a football match – what an atmosphere!

Blake
Atlanta, GA

Caring host, excellent class

My host mother or "mama tica" was a real joy and went out of her way to make me feel at home. We would literally start the day dancing to "Bailamos" on the radio at breakfast. She also took my friend and me to a family friend's house for a traditional epiphany gathering, which was very thoughtful. And I actually loved Heredia--it felt like a very manageable, safe city with fun places to eat and hang out, and it's a short drive to many other destinations in the country. I was also really impressed with the quality of instruction and the use of smart boards in the classrooms at school, I appreciated the complimentary coffee/tea each day, and I sampled delicious pastries from several nearby bakeries during our breaks. Best Spanish class ever.

I have a strong head on my shoulders, so I didn't feel undue pressure to sign up for any of the extra-cost excursions, but I can understand why a few people were put off. People from the U.S. in particular, I think, are sensitive about feeling ambushed into buying something. That said, I enjoyed every extra activity I took part in, even the touristy restaurant and show at the top of the valley.

I also cannot comment on the Samara program, since I didn't enroll there (though the town is nice).

Bruce
Loveland, CO, USA

Good Times

Instruction was very good, the school is very well organized, very professional. Homestays are very nice - I recommend it if you are thinking of making the trip. The families I've stayed with are helpful, friendly, and they don't speak English! Weekends can be great fun if you take advantage of the activities & tours, which are also very well organized. There are also extra acivities throughout the week (dance classes, cooking, movie nights). I've been there twice and I'm thinking about a 3rd trip this winter (2015-16).

Better coffee.

Cecelia
Fort Myers, Florida
Florida Gulf Coast University

Intercultura

This school and homestay was such a pleasure to experience! The school had a cozy, comfortable, and cultural atmosphere and offered amazing courses in not only Spanish, but also dancing and cooking! My friend and I stayed in a warm and welcoming home a few blocks away, we even looked forward to walking to school because it was a safe route that offered a fun view of the city. We also loved the trips planned by Intercultura for experiencing Costa Rican night life! The school is in the perfect spot and is not more than a 10 minute walk from anything you could possibly need!

I think the placement process for deciding what Spanish level the students need should be a little more thorough. I was in a level that was more review than anything, I feel like I would have benefited more from a level that focused on past or future tense Spanish than present. It was a good review and the teacher was amazing, but I really wish I had been in a different level. I would have been challenged more.

Helen
Boston usa

Homestayin Costa Rica

I adored my time in Costa Rica. Having a homestay was wonderful as I was able to use my Spanish at home as well as at school. Also it is so interesting to see how other cultures live their day to day lives.
The school helped me improve my Spanish and give me confidence speaking. I enjoyed every class.
I would definitely return to the same school but I would like to stay longer than the one week I did stay.
Do not hesitate to go alone as I did as everyone was helpful and friendly.

I enjoyed every aspect of the program. I would have liked to stay longer.

Arpad
Serbia

Beach and City Spanish program

In September 2012 I signed up for 4 weeks of Spanish classes at Intercultura, first 2 weeks in Heredia and then 2 weeks in Samara. I had a great time, both in the classes and living with the homestay families. I think the 2 campuses are relatively similar, both with skilled teachers and attentive staff, but the surroundings are quite different (urban vs. the beach). For that reason I'm happy I chose to experience both of these places. As for the language course itself, even though interesting and fun, I wouldn't exactly call it laid-back.

There are 4 hours of classes each day, but you also need to practice a little bit on your own and there's usually some homework too. Thanks to this relatively quick pace you can feel the difference and see your progress each week. I had no Spanish before, but after these 4 weeks I'm able to understand a whole lot and I can express myself to a degree. Obviously you can't become fluent in a new language in a month, but you'd be surprised how much one can advance in only a few short weeks.

Staying with a homestay family is also a great way to be more exposed to the local culture.

The families in Heredia and Samara are different, and the living environment in the latter is often basic, so you need to be a little open-minded and not expect 5 star hotel amenities. With that said I can report that I've enjoyed my time with both of my tico families, learning about their lives and especially eating all their delicious food (though truth to be told there's a lot of rice and beans involved). All in all, I can recommend Intercultura without hesitation to anyone wanting to up their Spanish skills and being immersed in the Costa Rican way of life at the same time!

Intercultura Costa Rica is one Spanish Immersion School with two unique locations. Study Spanish year-round at Vibrant Historic Heredia or at our Sámara beachfront Campus, or combine both locations! We offer Spanish and Cultural Immersion programs for students of all ages: Intensive Group Spanish classes