ICDS, Hospital Clínica Bíblica, and Universidad Latina de Costa Rica work jointly to bring students a dynamic study abroad experience in Latin American and Caribbean health issues. Students learn about Costa Rica's unique health care model, the way global public health issues unfold in the region, and the language to work and interact with Spanish-speaking patients. Additionally, students gain hands-on experience via clinical rotations at Hospital Clínica Bíblica (for advanced Spanish speakers) and community work in social welfare services (for beginner and intermediate level Spanish speakers). All courses, with the exception of Spanish, are taught in English by ICDS' bilingual faculty.
- Field trips and excursions around Costa Rica
- Hands-on clinical rotations and/or community work in social welfare services
- Spanish classes designed for medical professionals and the health care industry
- An international field trip to neighboring country, Panama
- Homestays with local host families that include meals, laundry, and WiFi