• Costa Rica
Term
Academic Year, Fall, Short Term, Spring
Biology Earth Sciences Ecology Economics Education Environmental Studies Field Studies Geography Global Studies Hispanic Studies History Humanities Latin American Studies Liberal Arts Life Sciences Natural Sciences Photography Psychology Public Relations Service Learning Statistics Sustainable Development Tourism Wildlife Sciences +14

Program Details

Direct Enrollment
Dormitory

Pricing

19500
Verto is committed to making our experiences abroad accessible to students from all backgrounds and we offer grants and scholarships for all locations.

The tuition for a Verto Semester Abroad Experience may be reduced by as much as 72% through Verto’s grants and scholarships for students who qualify.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Classes Meals Some Meals SIM cards Transportation Visa Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Sep 08, 2022
Nov 21, 2022
4 travelers are looking at this program

Spend Your First Semester of College in Costa Rica!

Embrace la pura vida (“the pure life”) and soak up the incredible natural scenery of Costa Rica’s mountains, jungles, and beaches.

With Verto, you'll:
• Explore Costa Rica's spectacular biodiversity, rich culture, and sustainable communities
• Earn 12-16 official college credits
• Take inspiring courses based on hands-on learning and cultural immersion
• Gain admission and transfer seamlessly to one of our 70+ U.S. partner colleges to finish your degree

Learn more about the application process by inquiring today.
With Verto, there’s no need to worry about deferring admission or waiting to apply to college. We offer direct enrollment & seamless credit transfer to our 70+ partner colleges.

Program Highlights

• Meet an indigenous community and learn about their way of life.
  • Learn about coffee, cacao, and other native plants from sustainable farms.
  • Hike Volcan Turrialba for incredible vistas over the tropical landscape.
  • Check out a Caribbean beach town and remote sea turtle beach.

Verto Opportunity Grant & Verto Scholars Award

The Verto Education Opportunity Grant ($5,000-$14,000) can reduce tuition by as much as 72%. Funding is awarded based on Expected Family Contribution (determined by the FAFSA). Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 to qualify.

The Verto Scholars Award ($5,000) is offered to incoming students based on their high school GPA. Applicants with a GPA of 3.5 or higher will automatically be given a Verto Scholars Award.

$5,000 - $17,000

• 5 rating 89.19%
  • 4 rating 10.81%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Keri

I loved studying abroad with Verto Education!

I absolutely loved studying abroad in Costa Rica with Verto Education. If you love nature and are passionate about environmental science, this is definitely the place to be. One of my favorite things was going on hikes to see amazing waterfalls, and I also had a great time white water rafting on the Pacuare River. One of the most rewarding experiences was planting 1,000 trees in the Pacuare River Basin with the RAFA organization. Overall I had an amazing experience and I met some of the most amazing people I think I will ever meet.

Pros
  • meal plan
  • living in a walkable town
Cons
  • academics were not very challenging
1 person found this review helpful.
Alexis

My experience with Verto education in Costa Rica

I want to start out by saying verto has a lot of support to offer, which I thought was amazing compared to other colleges. Although there have been some bumps in the road with housing, and food. But i understand everything has it’s ups and downs and I have to say verto’s faculty staff has handled it very well. I have made so many connections here when it comes to future colleges and opportunities. This program gives you the opportunity to travel while getting a degree.I recommend anyone to Verto, this experience has been life-changing.

Pros
  • Opportunities
  • Travel
  • Excursions
  • Food
  • Lack of transportation
Janelle

Verto Education

Hello I’m Janelle and I’m currently studying abroad in Costa Rica. Verto is a great way to start your first year of college. You get to travel to a new country and immerse yourself into a new culture while also earning college credits. I am currently earning 15 college credits. The environment and people is very welcoming and helpful. The professors and staff are always available for help and questions. You also get to surround yourself around people from all parts of the world. This experience is one of a kind and I definitely recommend.

Pros
  • Very diverse
  • All meals included
  • New friendships
Cons
  • Small town
  • No fast food
  • Some dorms have bunkbeds
Alexis

My personal experience working with Verto in Costa Rica

I’ve been with verto for a month now and here is experience so far! Overall I’ve had a great experience, from the professors to our ALC and SLC they are all here to see you succeed. Housing is a little hectic, but staff is trying to work on that right now. Food is good for the first 2 weeks but does get repetitive, but there is a cafe on the campus and food can be delivered as well. Safety wasn’t really talked about for the first week, but as time has gone on it’s has been talked about. We also had an Panama excursion and that was very fun and educational! Only thing I feel the staff need to work on it communication, I feel a lot of the time no one is on the same page. But again you make your own happiness and I promise you it’s amazing here!

Pros
  • Education while abroad
  • Small class
  • Traveling
  • Lack of communication
Srijana

One of my Best Experiences!!

Verto Education is an institution that truly emphasizes experiential learning, where students aren't limited to the four walls of a classroom. Although offering a variety of amazing, substantial courses, with accredited teachers, Verto is unique because it gave me (and will give you) opportunities to grow as an individual, through meaningful excursions, networks with individuals who continuously support you, and through the experiences you may want to embark on yourself through independent travel! <3

Make the best out of the excursions! They're meaningful!
Mads

Spring Semester Abroad in Costa Rica

Studying Abroad in Costa Rica has been an amazing and life changing experience. At first I was concerned it was a scam, but I applied anyways, and the rest was so easy. Being in Costa Rica now, I feel genuinely supported by the staff and like I’ve made productive and genuine connections with my professors. I’ve been given the opportunity to connect with the culture in an immersed way that has been so eye opening. I feel like this program has helped shape me into a global citizen. I am beyond grateful for what this experience has provided me both academically and personally.

What was your funniest moment?
My interactions with the staff, my cohort, and the locals
Rea

Verto Educación

I loved this school. It is amazing for those who want to travel and want to make fun memories that last forever. The best part is you can get your degree as you travel, and you get to create memories that you could never have at a regular college. Each day is filled with unexpected adventures and classes packed with information. This school is a place that you want to go if you want to have the best time of your life your first year of college. I recommend the school for anyone who loves to travel and loves to be adventurous.

What was your funniest moment?
When our program leader fell on a hike, it was a time of nonstop laughter for everyone there and it is a moment I will always remember!
Shanylla

Great experience but some downsides

Let me start by saying a good group dynamic is definitely need for this to be an enjoyable semester and I am so happy to say I was put with the best group ever very understanding and we worked through any problems that arose with the help of our wonderful program leaders. Also a big shout out to Chris morales he opened my eyes to ways to solve problem and combat things with healthier options. With that we got through so much, the activities are fun and more outdoors. I made so many good friends. Now the down side is the WiFi and the food for people who do not consume meat or any other animal products. The WiFi wasn’t great in the first base house and the nor in the second because it didn’t really work inside your rooms and that can be a bummer hopefully this is something verto takes into consideration about checking before hand. As for the vegan /vegetarian options they could use a lot of work it wasn’t all bad but there would be time frames where it just wasn’t good I can understand not knowing the lifestyles that well but some people should be educated on the matter and plan out the alternative options for people like us. Thankfully to my program leaders whom heard my feedback and helped me achieve if not the best better food :) Andrea and Shannon and MEMO are truly the best program leaders you’ll come across and I strongly recommend you recommending to be in their group.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Zip lining was the most scariest thing I have ever done and I can’t say I’ll do it again but at least I tried it once