• Costa Rica
Term
Academic Year, Fall, Short Term, Spring
Biology Earth Sciences Ecology Economics Education Environmental Studies Field Studies Geography Global Studies Hispanic Studies History Humanities Latin American Studies Liberal Arts Life Sciences Natural Sciences Photography Psychology Public Relations Service Learning Statistics Sustainable Development Tourism Wildlife Sciences +14

Program Details

Direct Enrollment
Dormitory

Pricing

List price prior to Federal financial aid (grants and loans) and scholarships that may be applied tuition price after completing the FAFSA. About half of Verto students receive scholarships, financial aid, or both. Depending on your Expected Family Contribution (determined by the FAFSA), Verto can reduce your Turrialba semester tuition by up to 67% through Verto’s Opportunity Grant. You can also apply for federal aid, external grants, and scholarships to further reduce your semester cost.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Classes Meals Some Meals SIM cards Transportation Visa Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Dec 07, 2021
Feb 18, 2022
3 travelers are looking at this program

Verto is designed to give you a life-changing academic experience –– all while earning college credit. You'll make Costa Rica your classroom. Environmental Science while standing on top of a volcano? You got it. Latin American history while examining an ancient archaeological site? Hands-on learning is a core component of Verto’s immersive curriculum.

Connect to the World: Explore Costa Rica as your classroom & soak up the incredible scenery with kayaking, ziplining, jungle hikes, and more!
Sharpen Your Mind: Watch your coursework come to life through hands-on experiences like Merengue dance classes, permaculture farm work, and NGO workshops!
Discover Yourself: Get out of your comfort zone, explore new passions, & build the confidence that you are ready for anything.

With Verto, there’s no need to worry about deferring admission or waiting to apply to college. We offer direct enrollment & seamless credit transfer to our 70+ partner colleges.

Program Highlights

• Earn up to 16 college credits while taking courses in Costa Rica
  • Academic credits transfer seamlessly into one of our partner institutions, or attend the non-partner college of your choice.
  • Direct Enrollment to one or more of our 70+ US partner colleges
  • Sample Courses: Environmental Science, Latin American History, Introductory & Intermediate Spanish, Beginning Digital Photography, Cultural Geography

Verto Education Opportunity Grant

This grant awards students between $5,000 and $10,000 based on their household income, as long as it is under $125,000/year. Households that have been negatively affected by the COVID-19 pandemic may also apply for the Opportunity Grant in Latin America.

$5,000 - $10,000

• 9-10 rating 93.94%
  • 7-8 rating 6.06%
Srijana

One of my Best Experiences!!

Verto Education is an institution that truly emphasizes experiential learning, where students aren't limited to the four walls of a classroom. Although offering a variety of amazing, substantial courses, with accredited teachers, Verto is unique because it gave me (and will give you) opportunities to grow as an individual, through meaningful excursions, networks with individuals who continuously support you, and through the experiences you may want to embark on yourself through independent travel! <3

Make the best out of the excursions! They're meaningful!
Mads

Spring Semester Abroad in Costa Rica

Studying Abroad in Costa Rica has been an amazing and life changing experience. At first I was concerned it was a scam, but I applied anyways, and the rest was so easy. Being in Costa Rica now, I feel genuinely supported by the staff and like I’ve made productive and genuine connections with my professors. I’ve been given the opportunity to connect with the culture in an immersed way that has been so eye opening. I feel like this program has helped shape me into a global citizen. I am beyond grateful for what this experience has provided me both academically and personally.

What was your funniest moment?
My interactions with the staff, my cohort, and the locals
Rea

Verto Educación

I loved this school. It is amazing for those who want to travel and want to make fun memories that last forever. The best part is you can get your degree as you travel, and you get to create memories that you could never have at a regular college. Each day is filled with unexpected adventures and classes packed with information. This school is a place that you want to go if you want to have the best time of your life your first year of college. I recommend the school for anyone who loves to travel and loves to be adventurous.

What was your funniest moment?
When our program leader fell on a hike, it was a time of nonstop laughter for everyone there and it is a moment I will always remember!
Shanylla

Great experience but some downsides

Let me start by saying a good group dynamic is definitely need for this to be an enjoyable semester and I am so happy to say I was put with the best group ever very understanding and we worked through any problems that arose with the help of our wonderful program leaders. Also a big shout out to Chris morales he opened my eyes to ways to solve problem and combat things with healthier options. With that we got through so much, the activities are fun and more outdoors. I made so many good friends. Now the down side is the WiFi and the food for people who do not consume meat or any other animal products. The WiFi wasn’t great in the first base house and the nor in the second because it didn’t really work inside your rooms and that can be a bummer hopefully this is something verto takes into consideration about checking before hand. As for the vegan /vegetarian options they could use a lot of work it wasn’t all bad but there would be time frames where it just wasn’t good I can understand not knowing the lifestyles that well but some people should be educated on the matter and plan out the alternative options for people like us. Thankfully to my program leaders whom heard my feedback and helped me achieve if not the best better food :) Andrea and Shannon and MEMO are truly the best program leaders you’ll come across and I strongly recommend you recommending to be in their group.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Zip lining was the most scariest thing I have ever done and I can’t say I’ll do it again but at least I tried it once
Joseph

Costa Rica 2021 Spring Semester

Traveling to Costa Rica this semester has been one of the best decisions I have made in my life so far. It wasn’t just to boast to your family and friends that you have gone abroad, but it was also the the opportunity to learn so much, whether it may be a new language, tour historical destinations, participate in adventurous activities like zip lining, water-rafting, and even spend time with people outside of your home community back home and gather newer perspectives. I’m personally glad to come across wonderful people in the program and I highly recommend registering for the program, especially college freshmen.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I had the chance to start over ene thing I would have change is my overall knowledge of the Spanish language. That would have helped me so much more when guiding myself in the city and asking questions and making orders at restaurants and going shopping.
Hana

Verto Education Spring Semester

Verto is a once in a lifetime opportunity. It helped me create goals I never knew I had and taught me what I want to do with my life. I have the experience to do a million things I would have never done before and the courses actually resonated with real world problems while seeing the cause and effect first hand. The schedular allows you to have enough time for school, exploring and all extra activities. I will forever recommend Verto to undecided college students. And forever cherish all my memories.

enjoy every moment and experience everything to the fullest
Ahnesti

Global Impact Year

In the fall I was doing the online semester which was apart of the Global Impact Year/ Hybrid Semester. Online was ok because it was quarantine and we were not allowed to leave our homes. In the Spring of 2021, I came to Costa Rica. Coming to Costa Rica was the best decision I could have made. My program leaders were the best leaders anyone could ask for. All of the people in my group or Cohort were very loving. The best group I could have asked for. All of us got along and just clicked. I highly recommend Verto to any person that wants to study abroad.

What was your funniest moment?
My funniest moment was when I was in the student talent show that my cohort hosted. I was able to be a back up dancer for one of my classmates. It was so fun and awesome.
Lucas

Verto Spring Semester

My experience was unique simply by that fact that I was able to study in Costa Rica. Everything about this was unique. The ability to take forest surveys in the middle of the jungle for environmental science, or surf on the Caribbean Cost after the end of our first classes, or visit two indigenous tribes for International Development and Latin American History. There were so many incredible and unique experiences like these that were littered throughout the trip. The amount of adventures we went on, and the incredible life long friendships that I made on this trip make it an unforgettable experience, and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in traveling.

What was your funniest moment?
My most fun moments were those of adventure. We went surfing on the Caribbean Cost, zip lining through a jungle, white water rafting, and rode bikes down a volcano. These are just a few examples of the adventures that I had on this trip that made me the happiest.