Intensive Spanish Classes

Intensive Spanish Classes

When it comes to learning a language, immersion is absolutely the way to go! The Spanish Immersion Program at Instituto Estelar Bilingüe is designed to help you learn fast while experiencing Costa Rican culture, meeting new people, seeing amazing places, and getting involved in the community of Liberia. We offer intensive Spanish classes with highly-trained teachers, homestays with local families, cultural activities, bilingual events, volunteer opportunities, and more! In one week, students are able to advance one level and speak with fluency, accuracy, and confidence.

This program is available year-round, starting each Monday and ending the following Friday. Students can sign up for one week, or fifty!

We also offer private Spanish classes, classes on the beach for long-term vacationers, and Spanish for expats living in Costa Rica. All of our programs are dynamic, interactive, and incorporate a variety of teaching methods that make it easy to learn fast and enjoy the process.

North America » Costa Rica
Phone / Skype Interview
This price range is based on one week in the Spanish Immersion Program. It includes 20 hours of intensive classes, a private room and two meals per day with a local host family (if desired), access to all school facilities, daily extracurricular activities, and volunteer opportunities.
Private Spanish classes, classes on the beach, and Spanish for Expats are all within this price range as well. They are, however, cheaper and include fewer activities.

Colin
Fonthill

Fantastic Spanish Immersion Program!

I completed the 2-week Spanish Immersion Program at Instituto Estelar Bilingue and I was thrilled with the quality and care the staff offered. I completed a Spanish level-testing exam which the staff used to place me in the appropriate class. My Spanish teacher was helpful and friendly. I had issues with conjugations and when to use each tense. I improved in the 2-weeks and was able to use my new grammar in everyday situations. I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking to venture to Costa Rica. Well done!

Danon
Philadelphia

An amazing week

I just completed my first week of Spanish class. I am an English teacher at Estelar, and so taking advantage of the Spanish classes was at the top of my list. This week was amazing. My Spanish is not strong and in 5 days I am so much more confident. A lot of words came back to me from high school. Lol. But best of all were the small classes with great teachers, the field trips and learning how to cook a Costa Rican favorite. I can't wait to take on this opportunity again. Gracias Merlyn!

Jennifer
Houston

Great Experience in Liberia, Costa Rica!

When I came to Costa Rica, my Spanish was intermediate and I was much better at reading and writing than speaking and listening. I signed up for tutorials at Instituto Estelar to work on my language skills. The school uses Costa Rican teachers, so I not only improved my Spanish, I also learned more about the local culture. Walter was an excellent teacher, very patient and fun. I would definitely recommend this program. They are flexible, so you can plan your own schedule of classes or join a full-time immersion program.
I also like the location in Liberia. It is close to fun tourist activities and beaches, but it is not a tourist town, so you get a more "authentic" experience of Costa Rica.

Richard
Playa Hermosa Costa Rica
San Francisco State University

Expats learn Spanish in Costa Rica

My wife and I had the great of experience of learning Spanish from the experts at Insituto Excelar Bilingue. Bethany runs a tight ship and her teachers were patient and competent. Also the homework task materials where challenging and educational. Overall, a very good experience.

Put back the soda pop vending machine.

Brittany
University of Wisconsin- Madison

An amazing experience!

I had the wonderful opportunity to teach English at Estelar for over a year. Estelar has an amazing environment of both English and Spanish learners: a diverse cultural experience for everyone. While in Costa Rica, I was not only able to participate in weekly bilingual conversational groups, attend various events organized by the school, and share exchanges with Spanish speaking friends, but I participated in the Intensive Spanish program as well. Classes were dynamic, engaging, and fun; there was never a dull moment. Conversation is greatly emphasized the entire class time, making practicing the language both interesting and entertaining. The grammar taught is intricately designed to be real-life, situational grammar that is applicable and practical. In addition to class time with the creative and energetic teachers, the cooking, dance, and artisan classes were always so much fun! Learning a little bit more about the Tico culture makes the experience of being in Costa Rica and studying the language all the more memorable and enjoyable. I would highly recommend Estelar to anyone eager to learn Spanish (or English!!!) and excited to immerse themselves into a fun, diverse, and educational environment while in Costa Rica!

Maggie
Rochester, NY
Allegheny College

Great Place to Improve Your Spanish and Have Fun!

In the 2 short weeks that I spent at Instituto Estelar Bilingüe, my Spanish improved tremendously. My teachers, Ana and Sonia, were great. They were experienced, prepared, and fun! They were willing to be very flexible to account for what I already knew, and for that I am thankful.

The Instituto set me up with a wonderful homestay family. They screen the families well to know that you're being cared for.

The extracurricular activities were great too-dance, cooking, and artisan classes were a fun way to practice outside of the classroom. They also set up one-on-one exchanges with English students so that you can both practice. I loved these! I highly recommend Instituto Estelar Bilingüe!

This program would benefit from more publication. Their English program is extremely well attended, but the weeks that I spent there, I was the only Spanish student. It's a great program, and more students should take advantage of it!

Adam
Canada
University of Waterloo

Learn Spanish in an Authentic Environment!

A great school with excellent Spanish teachers, classes at Instituto Estelar never have a dull moment. The classes are always well-prepared, informative, interactive, and fun. The instructors are very knowledgeable and patient, really helping you learn in a comfortable and relaxed setting. I myself have taken five intensive Spanish courses (one week each), which always include extracurricular activities such as cooking the local cuisine and learning how to dance the salsa! An awesome program, do yourself a favor and check it out.

The program is great, but the city is on the quiet side. There aren't a huge variety of activities for those who need a constant and different event every night, but there are enough to get by. The school itself supplements this by planning its own activities, such as a hot springs tour and a hike in one of the many close National Parks.

Sharai
Hayward, California
University of California- Merced

Great experience!

I learned so much at Instituto Estelar and it was just a fantastic experience for me. My Spanish improved a ton, I made new friends, I saw super awesome places, and I learned a lot about Costa Rica! I loved my teachers, my host family, and the staff was awesome too! Highly recommended!

More trips!

Marikay
Vienna, Virginia

Everything I Wanted

The school has a well-rounded curriculum that includes evidence-based language learning techniques, and in-vivo cross-cultural awareness. The homestay and regular interaction with all kinds of Costa Ricans was really a highlight for me. I was a little timid about doing a homestay but I am so glad I took advantage of the opportunity. This experience was everything I wanted it to be.

Miriam
Nepal

This school is great!

I want to thank the staff and administration of Instituto Estelar Bilingue for the great Spanish classes and cultural learning opportunities. I hadn't studied Spanish in a class for about 39 years, and I really improved a lot. My teacher was excellent and we used a variety of activities to help me learn. I am a professional language teacher and I can attest to the fact that this school is great, is lots of fun, and creates really effective learning experiences.

Greta
Upton, Massachusetts

A Unique Experience!

Studying Spanish at Instituto Estelar Bilingue is a unique experience. The school has international students learning Spanish and Costa Ricans learning English in the same colorful environment. I was an English teacher at the school for over a year and thoroughly enjoyed participating in the Spanish program, volunteer opportunities, and weekly language exchange events. Living among and learning from Costa Ricans is both linguistically and culturally beneficial to a living abroad experience. I highly recommend studying Spanish in Costa Rica, and Instituto Estelar Bilingue is the perfect place for a thoughtful and fun language exchange!

Lisa
Playas del Coco, Costa Rica

Highly Recommended

The school is a great place for learning Spanish and English and your learning can be endless here. The staff makes learning easy and fun. There are many ways to learn. I am impressed with everyone here and would highly recommend it to anyone learning a new language of Spanish or English.

It was a little too intensive for me, but it's because I was working and taking the 20-hour course.

Neil
UK
University of Cambridge

The best experience I've had

This was my second experience of a Spanish language program, and it was by far the best. Bethany made me feel really welcome and went out of the way to accomodate me at short notice. All the staff were helpful and friendly. I particularly liked the intercambios that were organised with students of a similar ability from Costa Rica. If you want to study Spanish in Costa Rica then Instituto Estelar Bilingue is the place to go. Liberia is a lovely venue. A small quiet city with everything you need.

Maria
Moscow, Russia

Solid program at Estelar

Loved the academic level of Instituto Estelar. I wish the materials of this high quality were in some other schools - shame it's only one institution. I was the advanced level student and that's the point everyone struggles to get the level better, when you can already converse. Our teacher Rosa really made us work. Proud of her :)

Zoe
Madison, Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin- Madison

Fantastic Experience

Instituto Estelar helped me become more confident in my Spanish language abilities. The intercambios were a great way for me to use what I learned in my advanced course. The cooking class, artesan class, and dance class were also fun ways to practice. The teachers were always open for questions. Overall, I am looking forward to returning!

Caleb
Sonora, California
University of California- Berkeley

Couldn't ask for more!

My teacher was absolutely great at simple conversation (I was a beginner), and she made every class enjoyable and interesting. Great activities! Dance class was perfect! The faculty and staff at ESTELAR are the best! Everyone is so kind, helpful, and fun. Couldn't ask for more in a school. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Diana
New York City, New York
New York University

A Great Experience, Wouldn't Change a Thing!

I loved Instituto Estelar Bilingue! Each day I took four hours of classes that were really useful for me because there was a lot of conversation, games, and activities that made it easy and fun to learn. My teacher was professional and super sweet, I still keep in contact with her and she is a good friend. On top of the excellent classes, there were a bunch of extra events that were really fun - I loved dance class and cooking class but my favorite thing was Spanglish. Spanglish was an event in the middle of the week where Spanish students and English students go to a local restaurant/bar and speak for half an hour in each language. It was fun because I met new people and really got to practice conversation in a relaxed atmosphere. I really loved everything about my experience with this school and I hope to return to visit in the future!

To be honest, the only thing I would change is the amount of time I was there. I wish I could have had another week or two!!

Located in the Guanacaste region in northwestern Costa Rica, Instituto Estelar Bilingüe is committed to helping people of all ages and backgrounds learn a new language and improve their lives. Becoming bilingual is a challenge that takes time, dedication, and perseverance on the part of