API at Libertas International University in Croatia

The API study abroad program at Libertas International University is unlike any other in Croatia. The university, nestled on the coast of the Adriatic Sea, provides an idyllic setting for students to delve into Croatia's recent economic and political developments (all while enjoying a uniquely rich culture that most tend to overlook!).

The program courses are taught in English and students participate in smaller group classes with other international students. This intimate setting allows for a deeper understanding of international relations and diplomacy, ultimately preparing students for careers in a global environments. The majority of courses are taught in English in an intimate setting with an average of less than 10 students per course. The student body consists of a diverse group of international and Croatian students. API students may also elect to take an introductory Croatian language course during their time abroad. See you there? Check out API's website for more info!

• Most LIU professors are working diplomats or professionals in their field of study
  • Internship opportunity with local NGOs and/or local media and news agencies!
  • Courses offered in English in a variety of subject areas with a focus on international affairs
  • Study and live in the picturesque walled city of Dubrovnik, the site of King's Landing from HBO's "Game of Thrones"

Lianne

The best part of my college experience!

One thing I loved about studying in Dubrovnik was that there were only 22 people in the program, and because the program was so small we were forced to interact with and develop relationships with the locals, which is an important part of understanding the culture you are living in. Nada and Ivana, the Resident Directors, are extremely helpful with everything and anything, including academic, housing, and travel issues. The apartment I stayed in was amazing with beautiful views (see photos), and Dubrovnik is an incredibly safe city. The school is in an old monastery, and the professors included former ambassadors and politicians. The class schedule is not on a traditional American schedule - oftentimes a class will be every day for 4 weeks and then finish, so if you schedule your classes accordingly it leaves a lot of time for traveling or hanging out on the beach. I learned so much about Croatia, and really fell in love with this city and the Croatian way of life.

Response from API

Thank you for sharing your experience Lianne! We agree - Dubrovnik is amazing!

Isaac

Being an International Student

It was the best experience of my life! You grow up and learn so many things about yourself and the world. Navigating a new country and others that you visit is not only fun and challenging but also prepares you for life as a professional. The housing was amazing with a wonderful view, also having Croatian students just down the street was great benefit! The college was in a beautiful monastery rich with history. A unique dynamic that I don't get at my college at home is that you can walk around this ancient walled city and find a unknown locals cafe for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I think the most fun part was learning the culture and some of the language, there also comes benefits with learning the language as many restaurants and bars give discounts if you order in Croatian.

Response from API

Thanks for sharing your experience with us Isaac! We're so pleased that you enjoyed your time in Dubrovnik with API!

Abby McD
Abby McD

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Our university shared a building with a Dominican Monastery and only had 100 kids. When I was there it was 10 Americans, 9 International students and then around 80 Locals. There was really no campus but the school is inside the Old Town Walls. It's a very new program which makes it quite an interesting place to study. I cannot say enough good things about it. I 110% reccomend this for anyone who wants to stay in Europe but wants to go somewhere different than the "usual" destinations of Italy, Spain, France... ect...

Traveling outside of Dubrovnik could be a bit of a pain. They arent connected to the EuroRail and the local airport is pretty small. We would usually either fly to Zagreb (Capital of Croatia, 1 hour flight) or bus (14 hours) and then catch flights out of Croatia from there.

About API

The mission of API is to transform lives by providing enriching academic and cross-cultural experiences that foster increased self-knowledge, cultural sensitivity and understanding of the global nature of our contemporary world.

*The former API...