Medical and Nursing Shadowing Placements in Prague

Do you wish to join a professional team in Neurosurgery, Anesthesiology, Children's Heart Center, Cardiology or another 17 specialties?

Would you like to discover what are the daily tasks and challenges of doctors, nurses, paramedics, and physical therapists while witnessing all side by side?

Do you want to undergo your experiential learning in a top hospital facility in Europe and work in a clinical environment on the same level as the one in your country?

Then the Czech Hospital Placements Program is an ideal choice for you. We offer specialty placements for pre-medical, medical, pre-nursing, and nursing students and to all of you who are motivated and willing to learn as much as possible from our mentoring teams.

With us, you know in detail all about the specialized centers and departments and also all about each of our mentors even before you apply. You get the specialty study materials to be ready for your placement and many more advantages.

• Know everything before you arrive, including your department and mentoring team.
  • Be ready to get the most out of your placement with exclusive study materials.
  • Gain the CHP Program Certificate and Personal Recommendation from the best specialists.
  • Network and connect with young students from around the globe who already took part in the CHP Program.
  • Boost your university application and excel during interviews thanks to a real clinical environment experiential learning.

Mira

Amazing Experience for Aspiring Health Care Professionals

As a high school student in the US who is interested in medicine, it was a rare and amazing opportunity to shadow doctors in the Children's Heart Center and Obstetric and Gynecology departments with the CHP program. While I was nervous at first, Barbora the program manager was so kind and helped me feel comfortable and prepared for the program. During the 2 weeks I was mentored by amazing doctors and got to be in OR almost every day. In the Children's Heart Center I worked in the catheterization lab where I saw heart biopsies, the insertion of ports for oncology patients, and an ablation. Andrea my mentor was so kind to me, and in between surgeries we would sit in the break room, drink tea, and talk. As only a high school student, my medical knowledge is limited, but Andrea always took the time to explain everything that was happening so that I understood. When she was conducting an ablation, she allowed me to place the electrodes on the patient! In Obstetrics and Gynecology, I got to see one vaginal birth and many c-sections. I even got to see a hysterectomy and laparoscopic surgery to remove an ectopic pregnancy. The accommodation was wonderful and in a super convenient part of Prague so it was super easy to explore the city after my shift! We made our own breakfast in the morning and ate lunch at the hospital, but every night we got to eat dinner at a really nice restaurant so we were fed well! I went to the program with a friend from school but while I was there I made many new friends and we explored Prague together. Overall CHP was a wonderful program where I learned so much and had so much fun.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
It was amazing to see a hysterectomy. I got to stand right above surgeons in the operating room (on a stool cause I'm short) and see into a woman's abdomen. This particular patient was obese and so the procedure was more difficult. I was amazed by the amount of fat that covered her intestines. The surgeons did an amazing job and it was an amazing privilege to see them work.
Grant

professional service, a choice i won't regret

I did a 2 week program with CHP in July 2016 for a supplementary experience for my medical school application in UK. I compared a few different programs, but CHP really gives me a feeling of professionalism. The program takes place in a large, modern hospital in the centre of Prague, doctors are very friendly and I was treated like a medical student in specialty training. Accomodation is very nice and quiet, easy to travel around the city and to the hospital. There is really nothing to blame and i had a delightful and inspiring two weeks!

Otakar

A great opportunity for young students - future healthcare professionals

I helped with the launch of the Czech Hospital Placements Program, and I will do my best to ensure that the entire process of student placement in our teaching hospital goes as smoothly as possible. I believe that the CHP Program is a great opportunity for both students and mentors. Students who want to get familiar with their future profession will see real professionals in action as well as the everyday realities of having a job in a hospital environment. This experience will surely help them in choosing the right field or specialty. Mentors, who once were students themselves, can share the details of their everyday work in a prestigious hospital. They can explain to students the personal fulfillment they feel as healthcare professionals and show them how important the decision between the various specialties is. This sharing of experiences and personal bonds among experienced professionals and promising young students will consequently bring benefits to our patients in the form of improved treatment and quality of care.
- MUDr. Otakar Buda, Head of the Quality Control Department at University Hospital in Motol, Doctor in the ER for Adults