Ecuador Study Abroad Semester - Fall and Spring

Living and Learning is an academically excellent semester abroad where students will engage the challenges of a developing nation and learn to respond with an appropriate Christian Worldview. We're based in Quito, Ecuador and almost every aspect of your experience is organized and run by our in country staff. We value the personal and spiritual well being of every student that joins us so you'll meet with a resident coordinator once per week and participate in weekly chapel. During the semester you'll live in Christian community, participate in homestays for 4 weeks, engage in a local internship or service learning project, and go on trips to the Amazon Jungle and the Galapagos Islands.

Our program requires students to abstain from alcohol during the semester. This requirement is not based on a moral stance for or against alcohol but is in place to show respect for the primarily catholic culture and to create a environment that focuses on personal wellbeing & development.

• Christian Community
  • Weekly one on one with staff
  • Homestay
  • Internship
  • Excursions to Jungle, Beach and Galapagos

Elena

Elena's Review of Living and Learning International

This program is amazing! Not only do you get to live in Ecuador-- a country full of warm and interesting people, but you also get to be part of a very strong and special community within the program. One of the most impactful aspects of this program was the spiritual teaching and guidance. The staff of Living and Learning really care about each student and push them to become who they were created to be by God. Although the trips, sights, and crazy experiences were fun, the focus on God is what really mattered most to me.

I honestly can't think of anything of great import that this program could improve on. It is very intentional and well-thought out in all of its activities.
Jordan

The Experience of a Lifetime

Deciding to study abroad in Ecuador with Living and Learning is easily one of the best decisions I have made. There are many things to highlight from this incredible experience, but some that stand out are the people, the places, and the cultural practices. I felt welcomed and supported by staff from the very beginning- even before we had arrived in Ecuador. They do an amazing job of making everyone feel valued and seen. Additionally, the staff coordinates all the details of the excursions, so it is nice that you don't have to worry about anything and can just enjoy the fun trips- of which there are plenty! Not only did we travel all over Ecuador, but we also got to experience Peru! Lastly, this semester program does a great job of immersing students in Ecuadorian culture. From living with a family for a month to traveling to internships on public transportation, there are many opportunities to experience the culture firsthand. I would highly, highly recommend this program.

I have no suggestions- it was a fantastic program!
me
Gabriella

Living & Learning International Semester Abroad

L&LI Semester Abroad was an amazing experience full of spiritual, intellectual, and relational growth. Being fully immersed into Ecuadorian culture while taking classes, having an internship, living with home-stay families, and going on trips that allow you to see the four regions of Ecuador is something that not very many people have the opportunity to do. Being able to do all this with amazing staff that is there to support you spiritually, mentally and physically 100% of the time is an incredible gift and added bonus. The teachers are there to challenge you in a variety of ways all while incorporating the culture and history of Ecuador. You have the chance to build life long relationships with staff, fellow students, and home-stay families that radiate Christ and that are built on a strong foundation for the love of Ecuador and the city of Quito that you are living in. This program helps you grow in independence, sense of curiosity and in your knowledge of Spanish.
Going into this program, I had no idea that it would have been this life changing, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I highly recommend this program!

My semester was the first one to go to Peru and get to see Machu Picchu which was incredible! However, waking up at 3am almost every day to get started was rough. This was because we only had a few days in Peru, so I would definitely say that the length of that trip could be a bit longer to allow for some rest and more sightseeing.
Miku

Wow

When people asked me the one question of, "How was it?!" My one answer was always, wow. Starting and finishing with the staff, they made the semester the best it could be for us. They poured into us students and we got to pour into them as well. Not only did the staff change my life, but so did the students I walked with these past four months. Some closer than others, but all so loving and authentic. We traveled to Peru and the four worlds of Ecuador with each other. Outside of these amazing trips, we studied together and grew in the knowledge of Spanish language and other academics. Professors were always so supportive of the next steps you wanted to take in life and truly cared for you. This program is so unique because of its' people. They make you feel like home no matter how uncomfortable you are. Prepare to be vulnerable, loved, and scared. This trip was filled with all emotions, but knowing that I wasn't alone on this trip felt amazing.

Honestly, I would not change any of what this program has to offer.
Andre

The Most Life Changing Semester

In short, my time with Living & Learning International changed my life! I couldn't have asked for a better semester. Prior to embarking on this journey with L&LI, I did not know what to expect. I was mostly just looking forward to having all the fun (I mean promises of climbing a volcano and going to the Galapagos Islands should hype anyone up). However in the midst of all the fun, I had not anticipated to grow as much as I did, spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. The staff of L&LI truly take the time to pour into their students and disciple them to be better leaders over their lives so that they in turn know how to lead others well. In just the course of 4 months, I had learned from L&LI what it means to live in authentic and genuine community with others where vulnerability and honesty is welcomed and fosters personal growth. There's not one thing with this semester that I regret or wish could've been different.

Kristin

Ecuador Summer 2017

My time in Ecuador in the summer of 2017 was priceless and far exceeded my expectations. The staff was invested in discipleship and in the lives of the students. I learned a huge amount from my education internship. I've been to about 5 or 6 countries (some on multiple occasions), and my time in Ecuador was probably the most enjoyable of them all. I seriously plan to apply for teaching jobs in Ecuador when I graduate next year. I would recommend this program to anyone and everyone.

When I arrived in Ecuador, I had next to no idea of what to expect from Living and Learning as a program, because I don't feel like we were told much what to expect at all. However, I was the co-guinea pig so to speak from my university, so that kind of made sense. It wasn't an overly frustrating experience though, and everything that my study abroad was far outweighed that one minor con. :)
Quito, Ecuador
Peyton

Fall 2017

Going to Quito, Ecuador was the most impactful part of my college career. Not only was I able to travel to South America and go on countless adventures, leaving me with stories and experiences of a lifetime, but I also was immersed into a culture that stretched me and changed the way I see the world. Living in Quito in an apartment with other people from the program was beneficial because I was able to adjust to Ecuador with others who were also experiencing the change of living in another country and adjusting to a new culture. However, when I moved to my homestay and lived with an Ecuadorian family for a month, I realized that before, I had simply been studying abroad. When I moved in with my Ecuadorian family, I was then living abroad. I was able to grasp the culture in an entirely new way when I had Ecuadorian parents, brothers, and sisters. I learned a lot of Spanish, and I learned what it means to be a good host and to open your home to family and friends. I lived in an environment in which family comes first, relationships are more important than work, and you are treated as though you are a daughter of the family.

The only aspect of the program that I believe could be improved would be the organization of the application process as well as the explanation and description of what we are going to be doing when we actually do get to Ecuador.
Mary

Best Semester of My College Career

I absolutely love this program. I went into the semester as not only the only person from my school who was going, but as the first student from my school to attend this program, and I was more than intimidated not knowing what I had gotten myself into. As soon as I was picked up at the airport by the staff, saw my apartment, and met my RC, I felt at peace about the semester ahead. I loved every aspect of my semester. The classes were interesting, the professors were not only some of the most amazing teachers I know, but also deeply cared about me and the other students. The community was incredible, the staff helped the students become very intentional about having meaningful relationships throughout the semester. Ecuador is a beautiful country and through this program you get to see all four of it's diverse worlds, the Andes mountains, the Amazon rainforest, the coast, and the Galapagos islands. I'm so thankful that the staff have built this program the way that they have and that they invest in students the way that they do.

male headshot
Gary

Intention

Everything about this program is intentional. From having conversations about the beautiful and ugly sides of Quito's culture, to the timing of the jungle mission trips and allowing students to lead the second one, to the community in the apartments - everything is intentional to allow students to grow spiritually, relationally, and experientially. The staff is fully invested in supporting the students and allowing them to flourish. Most of the activities are planned by the program, which I was at first nervous about. But that actually allowed me to see much more of the country than I would have otherwise. Overall, the loving community defines this program.

The application process can be a little confusing, but in country, the program is on top of everything. The academics are solid, but not super challenging.
Nicole

Living and Learning International

Living and Learning International: Quito serves as an amazing academic program overseas. The program emphasizes the importance of the students and the development of their character while also encourages and strives for academic success. This program separates itself from others by its intentionality. What I mean by this is that the program prides itself with the fact that they provide opportunities for the students to see and experience every region of the country. Along with that, the intercultural immersion with a host family has been crafted to support both the students and the families. The staff creates an environment that allows every individual to be both known and cared for. Any student that desires to invest in not only their education, but their lives as well should consider Living and Learning International.

Rachel

Amazing Community & Cultural Experience

Living & Learning International is an amazing study abroad program that goes above & beyond to serve students. When I was initially searching for a study abroad program, I knew I wanted to be in South America with a Christian program that included a homestay. L&LI was just that! The staff works hard to make sure that students are getting the most out of their experience. They have programmed the semester perfectly to allow for Christian community to form, fun to be had, & cultural challenges to wrestle with. Every aspect of the semester has been taken into consideration, & the staff shows their immense love & care. I thoroughly enjoyed studying abroad in Ecuador, & can't imagine in without L&LI's support & guidance.

Lauren

GO

This study abroad program is a level above any other study abroad program. You are surrounded by people who are there because they love you, want to get to know you, and want to develop you as a person. You live in the city of Quito and get to interact with locals every day, as well as during your month of homestays! The staff they hire is incredible. This semester will change your life. The staff does an excellent job of helping you integrate into the country, teaching you how to live safely and how to navigate where to go, and they prepare you how to return to the United States.. Which is crucial!
I cannot say enough good things about this program. You also get to meet and hear stories of long term missionaries in the jungle. The best things about this program are 1) you get to explore the coolest places in Ecuador!
And 2) you will get so close with your community that it will deeply impact you,and your relationship with Jesus
I wish I could send everyone through this program!!

About Living and Learning International

Living and Learning International is an academically excellent semester abroad where students will engage the challenges of a developing nation and learn to respond with an appropriate Christian Worldview. We're based in Quito, Ecuador and almost...