Ecuador Study Abroad Semester - Fall and Spring

Ecuador Study Abroad Semester - Fall and Spring

Living and Learning is an academically excellent semester abroad where students will engage the challenges of a developing nation and learn to respond with an appropriate Christian Worldview. We're based in Quito, Ecuador and almost every aspect of your experience is organized and run by our in country staff. We value the personal and spiritual well being of every student that joins us so you'll meet with a resident coordinator once per week and participate in weekly chapel. During the semester you'll live in Christian community, participate in homestays for 4 weeks, engage in a local internship or service learning project, and go on trips to the Amazon Jungle and the Galapagos Islands.

Our program requires students to abstain from alcohol during the semester. This requirement is not based on a moral stance for or against alcohol but is in place to show respect for the primarily catholic culture and to create a environment that focuses on personal wellbeing & development.

• Christian Community
  • Weekly one on one with staff
  • Homestay
Airport Transfers
SIM cards
Travel Insurance
Application Fee
You will need to check with your college or university for exact costs! However, in most cases if you are a student at one of our partner schools a semester in Ecuador will not cost you more than what you are currently paying for school!
Cost Includes: Trip to the Galapagos, Trip to the Amazon Jungle, Homestay with an Ecuadorian Family, Cultural Experiences, All In-Country Food, Lodging, and Transportation, Internship Experience (for credit option)
Does Not Include: Airfare, Passport, Visa, Immunization, Personal expenses like shopping, personal needs or personal travel.

The Most Life Changing Semester

In short, my time with Living & Learning International changed my life! I couldn't have asked for a better semester. Prior to embarking on this journey with L&LI, I did not know what to expect. I was mostly just looking forward to having all the fun (I mean promises of climbing a volcano and going to the Galapagos Islands should hype anyone up). However in the midst of all the fun, I had not anticipated to grow as much as I did, spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. The staff of L&LI truly take the time to pour into their students and disciple them to be better leaders over their lives so that they in turn know how to lead others well. In just the course of 4 months, I had learned from L&LI what it means to live in authentic and genuine community with others where vulnerability and honesty is welcomed and fosters personal growth. There's not one thing with this semester that I regret or wish could've been different.

Ecuador Summer 2017

My time in Ecuador in the summer of 2017 was priceless and far exceeded my expectations. The staff was invested in discipleship and in the lives of the students. I learned a huge amount from my education internship. I've been to about 5 or 6 countries (some on multiple occasions), and my time in Ecuador was probably the most enjoyable of them all. I seriously plan to apply for teaching jobs in Ecuador when I graduate next year. I would recommend this program to anyone and everyone.

When I arrived in Ecuador, I had next to no idea of what to expect from Living and Learning as a program, because I don't feel like we were told much what to expect at all. However, I was the co-guinea pig so to speak from my university, so that kind of made sense. It wasn't an overly frustrating experience though, and everything that my study abroad was far outweighed that one minor con. :)
Quito, Ecuador

Fall 2017

Going to Quito, Ecuador was the most impactful part of my college career. Not only was I able to travel to South America and go on countless adventures, leaving me with stories and experiences of a lifetime, but I also was immersed into a culture that stretched me and changed the way I see the world. Living in Quito in an apartment with other people from the program was beneficial because I was able to adjust to Ecuador with others who were also experiencing the change of living in another country and adjusting to a new culture. However, when I moved to my homestay and lived with an Ecuadorian family for a month, I realized that before, I had simply been studying abroad. When I moved in with my Ecuadorian family, I was then living abroad. I was able to grasp the culture in an entirely new way when I had Ecuadorian parents, brothers, and sisters. I learned a lot of Spanish, and I learned what it means to be a good host and to open your home to family and friends. I lived in an environment in which family comes first, relationships are more important than work, and you are treated as though you are a daughter of the family.

The only aspect of the program that I believe could be improved would be the organization of the application process as well as the explanation and description of what we are going to be doing when we actually do get to Ecuador.

Best Semester of My College Career

I absolutely love this program. I went into the semester as not only the only person from my school who was going, but as the first student from my school to attend this program, and I was more than intimidated not knowing what I had gotten myself into. As soon as I was picked up at the airport by the staff, saw my apartment, and met my RC, I felt at peace about the semester ahead. I loved every aspect of my semester. The classes were interesting, the professors were not only some of the most amazing teachers I know, but also deeply cared about me and the other students. The community was incredible, the staff helped the students become very intentional about having meaningful relationships throughout the semester. Ecuador is a beautiful country and through this program you get to see all four of it's diverse worlds, the Andes mountains, the Amazon rainforest, the coast, and the Galapagos islands. I'm so thankful that the staff have built this program the way that they have and that they invest in students the way that they do.

male headshot

Everything about this program is intentional. From having conversations about the beautiful and ugly sides of Quito's culture, to the timing of the jungle mission trips and allowing students to lead the second one, to the community in the apartments - everything is intentional to allow students to grow spiritually, relationally, and experientially. The staff is fully invested in supporting the students and allowing them to flourish. Most of the activities are planned by the program, which I was at first nervous about. But that actually allowed me to see much more of the country than I would have otherwise. Overall, the loving community defines this program.

The application process can be a little confusing, but in country, the program is on top of everything. The academics are solid, but not super challenging.

Living and Learning International

Living and Learning International: Quito serves as an amazing academic program overseas. The program emphasizes the importance of the students and the development of their character while also encourages and strives for academic success. This program separates itself from others by its intentionality. What I mean by this is that the program prides itself with the fact that they provide opportunities for the students to see and experience every region of the country. Along with that, the intercultural immersion with a host family has been crafted to support both the students and the families. The staff creates an environment that allows every individual to be both known and cared for. Any student that desires to invest in not only their education, but their lives as well should consider Living and Learning International.

Amazing Community & Cultural Experience

Living & Learning International is an amazing study abroad program that goes above & beyond to serve students. When I was initially searching for a study abroad program, I knew I wanted to be in South America with a Christian program that included a homestay. L&LI was just that! The staff works hard to make sure that students are getting the most out of their experience. They have programmed the semester perfectly to allow for Christian community to form, fun to be had, & cultural challenges to wrestle with. Every aspect of the semester has been taken into consideration, & the staff shows their immense love & care. I thoroughly enjoyed studying abroad in Ecuador, & can't imagine in without L&LI's support & guidance.

This study abroad program is a level above any other study abroad program. You are surrounded by people who are there because they love you, want to get to know you, and want to develop you as a person. You live in the city of Quito and get to interact with locals every day, as well as during your month of homestays! The staff they hire is incredible. This semester will change your life. The staff does an excellent job of helping you integrate into the country, teaching you how to live safely and how to navigate where to go, and they prepare you how to return to the United States.. Which is crucial!
I cannot say enough good things about this program. You also get to meet and hear stories of long term missionaries in the jungle. The best things about this program are 1) you get to explore the coolest places in Ecuador!
And 2) you will get so close with your community that it will deeply impact you,and your relationship with Jesus
I wish I could send everyone through this program!!

About Living and Learning International

Living and Learning International is an academically excellent semester abroad where students will engage the challenges of a developing nation and learn to respond with an appropriate Christian Worldview. We're based in Quito, Ecuador and almost...