IFSA: SOAS, University of London Partnership

Are you interested in the study of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East? Then SOAS is for you. Spend a summer or semester exploring the cultural and political topics of this critical area of the world, and do it with the personalized support of the IFSA team. We'll help you achieve your personal, academic, and professional goals - and experience the rich multicultural metropolis of London at the same time.

• Personalized support from a local London team
  • Excursions and activities included in the program fee
  • Take classes with local and international students
  • 24/7 health and safety support and insurance included

About School of Oriental and African Studies

IFSA Scholarships and Financial Aid

We believe that study abroad should be within reach of every student, so we offer a wide range of scholarships and funding opportunities for all our participants.

$500 - $2,500

Lauryn

Exploring Blackness in London

As a Black Africana Studies major, I was ecstatic to see IFSA at SOAS and immerse myself at a school where non-Western perspectives are the default. In my classes, Language in Africa and Contemporary African literature, we explored African voices and stories that have been severely lacking in my studies even as an Africana Studies major due to a US-centric approach. Connecting with such knowledgeable professors was invaluable and their lessons stick with me still as I casually bring up Africa’s incredible linguistic diversity and find lessons from African literature continue to follow me. I explored my Blackness further outside of the classroom as I traveled around South London after a 20 minute bus ride. It felt amazing to be surrounded by Black communities both long-established and newly formed as they create boisterous communities full of life and joy. I felt so seen walking around and felt so full after eating the amazing food there was to offer. An added bonus was that South London was much cheaper than King’s Cross where I lived. There were also a number of museums that featured work from artists of the African diaspora that left strong impressions both as a member of the Black community and as an artist that focuses greatly on identity. I have brought much of what I learned back to the classroom here and continue to de-center the US in discussions of Blackness because of my time in London.

Particularly for those who are low-income, I would suggest avoiding restaurants and, instead, choosing to cook with groceries that are often much healthier than those in the US, much cheaper, and locally grown. For special nights, traveling to South London to eat will allow you to stretch your money and have far tastier food. While the tube is convenient and quicker, it is also more expensive than the bus. Taking the bus allows you to see more the city and note places you might see from the bus to travel to later! For souvenirs, avoid touristy areas and go to markets, such as the Camden Market, to get great gifts!