Learn French at NYU Paris

Broaden your knowledge of French at NYU Paris, where study of the language is complemented with courses in French history, politics, society, and culture. In Program I, beginners gain proficiency through French language courses and take courses in English. Language workshops and walk-in tutorials are also available. Students may also take some courses at several French universities. In Program II, students with prior language experience take all of their classes in French, including courses like Writing Paris and France and the European Union: Europe in Crisis. Program II students can also take courses in art history, cinema studies, French and comparative literature and linguistics, history, sociology, politics, studio art, and more. Learn more and access the online application on the NYU Global Programs website, and secure your spot for an amazing semester abroad!

Joelle

Paris for a Year

I have been here for a semester already and overall it is what you would expect. The city of Paris will grow on you and unsurprisingly, I am in love now. The classes that are offered here in general are easier than they are on the Washington Square campus but if you want to push yourself, you can take them in French.
The greatest value that I have gotten from being in Paris thus far is the exposure I have had to art here. "High culture" art it present everywhere here in a way that I don't find even in New York. Galleries are more accessible, the theatre, cinema, there is a more classic feeling that is novel for the typical American study-abroader.

Carly

Study Abroad at NYU Paris

My semester abroad in Paris with NYU was a very memorable experience. I was able to thoroughly immerse myself within French culture through my homestay, dance lessons, and internship. The academics at NYU Paris were alright, there were a few courses that were pretty tedious and I also felt that uninformed in terms of what my options were for Pass/Fail, and uninformed in general regarding academic support. There are a few truly incredible members of the NYU Paris staff but in general I didn't necessarily feel welcomed at times.

Better support from the site staff
Asli

Take advantage of every day

By saying to take advantage of every day, I don't mean to pressure you in any way. Speaking from experience, I didn't really notice my surroundings until it was a bit too late. During my time at NYU Paris I didn't really realize the amazing opportunity I had in my hands; I was living in Paris, one of the most stunning cities in the world yet at the moment I couldn't really appreciate my experience well enough. Do not over stress yourself with your courses, try to get your work done early so that you can take advantage of where you are and to explore the city, meet new people, hang out with your friends at a cute cafe you discovered last week or just sit in the park and read a book. Just live in the moment and don't forget how many people would kill to be in your position.

Facilitate more outings where students can meet Parisians and actually take their French skills to the task.
Teresa

Great experience abroad!

I absolutely loved my time abroad in Paris! The NYU staff is one of the kindest and most helpful staff I’ve ever met. NYU has cultural events ranging from trips to other French cities, dances, wine making, macaron tasting, etc. that really helped shape my experience in Paris. My friends and I joked that our time abroad was like an extended summer camp; you make incredible friends in a short time and get to experience the beauty and magic of Paris with them.

Kaity

NYU Paris

NYU Paris is a great place to study for a semester, especially for music and art students. There are a ton of cool things to see and do in the city and NYU makes them easily accessible to students. They also strongly encourage you to step outside of the NYU bubble and interact with French students through programs like Tandem and the partnership with le Sorbonne.
My french has definitely improved during my time at NYU Paris and I love that I am able to actually take classes in French through NYUs program. I highly recommend this abroad program to anyone interested in spending a semester in Paris.

I think they could offer a wider range of classes, the emphasis really is on art which is nice but also hard to make a full course load for non-art majors.
Patrick

Overall good experience

The experience was great—living with other French and international students, going to school in the Latin Quarter, etc.—leaving me with only two main complaints. Firstly, NYU housed students in the Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris (CIUP), which was disastrous; far from campus, a completely useless staff (who often weren't there, often leaving the building completely unguarded with no security), trashy unfinished rooms, etc. My understanding is NYU no longer houses students in CIUP.
The other main concern is they do quite a bit to baby students; many students talked about how with how much hand-holding there is, how many strict/specific rules there are, etc., it felt more like a high school program than a college program.
That being said, the professors are all excellent and incredibly qualified in their respective fields, NYU spends a lot of money on providing programs for students, and, of course, living abroad for a semester any way is a very enriching and eye-opening experience.

A change of dorms (preferably closer!) and a more relaxed staff—basically, run it more like NYU New York and it'll be great.
Nicole

Amazing!

I was able to travel so many parts of Paris, and even got to go to the South of France for free. I didn't ever want to leave Paris because our campus and the overall environment was so amazing. It was a lot of French, which could at times be tiring, but overall amazing. The classes were all amazing, with very flexible schedules. I didn't regret anything! I would say that it was annoying making up classes on Friday's, and our fall break was less than a week, but overall scheduling was amazing.

Probably just remove MDIF out of housing.
Eniola

NYU Paris

I love going to school at NYU Paris. My French has greatly improved and the school does a great job at creating a fun educational atmosphere. We go on trips around France as well as excursions in Paris that help us really take advantage of the perks that come along with being in a new country and culture. The classes are nicely interactive with lots of great conversations and we often take the learning outside of the classroom by going to art shows or exploring a part of Paris related to what we are learning.

Nothing comes to mind, except maybe a couple more creative classes.
Meghan

Fall at NYU Paris

The NYU Paris semester abroad program is amazing! The amount of immersion you have with the language and the culture is up to you, but the staff and faculty are amazing and always willing to help students find the best experience for them. Paris is centrally located to be able to do a lot of great travelling, but there's also so much to do in the city that it will be hard to decide whether to stay or go on the weekends! NYU gets students tickets for a variety of cultural events like operas and concerts throughout the semester that are great; there are a few overnight trips each semester too that always include a multi-course French meal. Academically, the classes are demanding but manageable, and many of them will utilize the museums around the city in the curriculum. The program is pretty small, especially in the fall, which is a nice change from NYU in New York. I would recommend this program to anyone - this program is definitely once in a lifetime and I will never forget the experiences I had and the people I met here.

There were a few issues with housing like rooms not being cleaned/ready for students when they first arrived and the heating shutting off pretty often. For this semester in particular, NYU just started using a new residence that had just finished being built, so there were quite a few issues with that throughout the semester. Academically, I can't think of anything that could be improved - the professors I had here were some of my favorites of my whole time at NYU.
Guillermo

Paris is awesome

To those of you who may be on the fence about studying abroad, do it! My time spent in Paris can only be described as incredible! It is a great city to live in (museums, parks, teather, concerts, nightlife...), as well as to travel around. With airports, trains and buses the whole of Europe is easily accessible. During daily life I got to indulge in fresh, buttery breads, rich cheeses and fine wines. I not only observed the hustle and bustle of daily life but actually lived it; experiencing the city as any French student would. I was welcomed by a warm and friendly community wherever I would go and I met many people whom I would consider friends for life. The NYU Paris staff did a great job of making this easy by organizing all the logistics behind the scenes so that I could truly focus on the experience. They were always there to help whether it be for a major emergency or just to provide a smiling face and a place to chat over a cup of coffee. Meeting students who came from all corners of the world really helped give me a better global perspective and the teachers are all invested in the success of their students.This has been by far one of the most influential experiences of my life.

Ryan

Great experience

This program has an exceptional staff who do a great job at making students feel at home overseas. They offer trips to other countries, cultural events, and a top notch teaching department. The dorms are within 25 minutes by the RER and the school location is in the beart of Paris. We're five minutes from Notre Dame and right by the RER which gives access to most of the city. I highly recommend this program to anyone looking to spend a semester in Paris

About NYU Global Programs

NYU Global Programs provides study abroad experiences at 11 academic centers in Accra, Ghana; Berlin, Germany; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Florence, Italy; London, England; Madrid, Spain; Paris, France; Prague, Czech Republic; Sydney, Australia; Tel...