Study Abroad in Berlin, Germany with FuBIS - Winter and Summer Semesters

FUBiS classes make use of the vast historic, cultural, and political institutions and resources Berlin offers. Study and field trips to museums, memorials as well as politicial and cultural institutions are integral parts of the curriculum.

FUBiS arranges appropriate off-campus accommodation (dorm, single apartment, homestay) for the duration of the program as an optional service at the student's request.

Our goal is to provide a stimulating and rewarding experience - academically, culturally, and personally.

Simon

Experience.

I stayed at Studentdorf Schlactensse in Dahlem district of Berlin. It is an hour-long commute to the FU campus, but the transportation is far better in Berlin than in NYC. The housing was fine, the rooms small, showers clean, kitchen large. The FU campus is beautiful, the Winter program staff were extremely friendly and likable. The Professor was German-born American raised, highly knowledgable and interesting. Class excursions were amazing- it was worth the trip just for those.
The Menso food is cheap and delicious, but leaves you feeling like you haven't eaten. The students were from every continent and brought a huge amount of knowledge to the class - it was worth coming just for that as well. Overall amazing experience,
Tschüss !

By having more group class, like a lecture to all the participants, or by having an activity that brings people into discussion about issuing being studied. Or by meeting real German in professional or academics fields to get a feel for the culture. Just suggestions.
Guilherme

Excellent Experience

It was incredible! It was possible to learn a lot about the subject as also from other students who were from different countries. My professor was really good. She encouraged the students to participate and share backgrounds which was important to my learning. Therefore, we visited one prison and we could see the German reality about prisons. Also, we had an excellent support from staff's people. They were really nice and helpful.
I loved Berlin because it has good public transport (a little bit expansive, though) and all the city transpire history. Although my apartment was far from Berlin's downtown, it was close to the university.

In my opinion, although we had people from different countries, it would be better if there were more diversity. I really think that different backgrounds can improve more the classes and the process of learning.
Ty

A Truly International Experience

When I arrived at FUBiS, I was expected it to be another program filled with American students like myself. Boy, was I mistaken. I lived in shared housing with 25 other students that hailed from 5 different countries (Brazil, Columbia, Malaysia, Australia, and South Korea). In addition, I met students from the Caribbean, Mexico and Argentina. During my 3 weeks in Berlin, I learned more about different cultures than I ever knew before and connected with people that came from entirely different backgrounds than myself. I cannot stress enough how much I gained from this experience alone.

As for the academics, I found them to be fairly challenging, but not over the top. The professors and staff were incredibly helpful, and made sure to leave time outside of class to plan events together (Karaoke Night was my favorite!). Overall, I loved my FUBiS experience and I recommend it ot anyone that would like to spend time in one the world's best cities while getting a scholastic and cultural education.

The living units had not been updated in years and were very far off campus (45 mins), making the commute pretty difficult.
Response from

With Berlin being the biggest German city, longer distances here are rather the rule than the exception. For locals it is completely normal to commute 45-60 minutes to get from A to B. Unlike in the US, student dorms in Germany are usually not located directly on campus. Amongst others, this is due to the fact that in general, German universities do not own student dorms, but work with housing providers like the Studentenwerk (student union). Therefore, being a commuter student like probably 99% of the students in Berlin is very usual.

About FUBiS