The Alliance in Pune: Contemporary India

The Alliance in Pune: Contemporary India

Explore contemporary India as a complex yet unified multi-cultural, multi-linguistic, religiously pluralistic democracy, and rising economic superpower. Study development, economics, and social issues in Pune, a vibrant, bustling city that has long been considered India’s academic center and has a thriving student scene. Host to many of the country’s most forward-thinking NGOs and multi-national businesses, Pune is also an ideal location to do hands-on fieldwork by electing to complete an internship, documentary film, or directed research project.

The Alliance program center is based at Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics. You will live like a Pune resident, staying with an Indian host family and commuting to campus by auto rickshaw. Two long-weekend excursions will take you out of the classroom and expose you to a different side of India.

Asia » India » Pune
Women's Studies

Elizabeth
Northampton, MA
Smith College

India, a home away from home

I had the most amazing time in India on this program. Though everything was not perfect, it was a great experience to learn how to handle situations on my own and learn a lot about myself. It was definitely hard being in India since it is such a different environment from what I am used to. But it was also the beset decision I ever made. I loved my host family and the others that were in my program, they made my experience so great. I got to learn so much while I was there especially outside the classroom and got to meet such great people in Pune.
Though it was very difficult at times I have no regrets with my decisions.

Angela
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Franklin & Marshall College

India:

I really enjoyed every aspect of studying abroad in Pune, India for approximately four months. The food was so delicious and inexpensive! I really enjoyed interacting with the locals and learning more of the culture by attending festivities like a baby shower, wedding, thread ceremony, and Holi! I lived with a wonderful host mom who included me as part of her family. I lived about fifteen minutes away by rickshaw from the college. I did the internship component and was able to work with an organization that works with slum dwelling communities. During the weekends, I would explore Pune or neighboring places such as Goa, Mahabaleshwar, and local villages. There is also a week of travel and I decided to visit New Delhi, Dharamsala, and Amritsar.

Even though I really enjoyed working with the organization during my internship, I think there are some aspects that need improvement. There was a lack of coordination and accountability.

Gwen
Tuscaloosa, AL
University of Alabama- Birmingham

A summer in India

I studied in Pune, India for 7 weeks over the summer through Alliance for a Global Education. I stayed with a host family near the college where I had class every morning. In the afternoon I worked on a research project using Indian college students. Most everyone else had an internship. Weekends were for exploring the city and short travel trips, including an excursion to a rural village.

The Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University (IFSA-Butler) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1988. Our primary goal is to provide quality study abroad opportunities, plus academic and personal support services, for qualified North American undergraduates seeking to earn academic credit through study abroad.

IFSA-Butler