• Ireland
    • Limerick
Term
Academic Year, Fall, Spring
Accounting Architecture Biochemistry Biology Business Chemistry Classical Studies Communications Creative Writing Ecology Economics Education Engineering English European Studies Finance Geology History Law Linguistics Literature Marketing Music Nursing Physics Political Science Psychology Public Relations Sociology Theater Women's Studies +21

Program Details

University
University of Limerick
Apartment Host Family

Pricing

See website for details. Scholarships available!
May 18, 2021
Oct 27, 2015

University of Limerick is a modern, vibrant university of 16,000 students, established in 1972. Located in the west of Ireland, it’s host to many of County Limerick’s cultural events (with the first purpose-built University concert hall in Ireland). UL is very popular with international students, with over 3,000 international students from 100 countries, who enjoy easy access to both the city and the surrounding beautiful countryside. It’s also close to Shannon Airport, making it easy to travel further afield.

The University boasts strengths in the sciences, business, technology, and engineering, and fosters numerous international research partnerships, along with close ties to industry sectors in many different research areas. It is one of the leading Irish universities for business, with an AACSB accredited business school, and collaborates with the nearby National Technology Park which houses over 80 organizations.

Program Highlights

• Arcadia excursions are part of the program and enhance cultural immersion while providing meaningful context
  • UL offers a wide range of subjects, including many interdisciplinary course choices, strong STEM offerings, and popular sport and exercise science options.
  • You can cross-register across departments, creating a bespoke courseload that meets your needs and interests.
  • A lively student body, world-class sporting facilities and a warm campus atmosphere, with students housed in seven student villages, along with over 80 clubs and societies
  • #1 in the UK and Ireland for its Students Union and #1 in Ireland for its clubs and societies

Matt

UL is grand

Grand is quite the common word over at UL and an enjoyable experience is also commonplace. The bus availability to Dublin Airport is great, and Cappavilla Village staff and dorms are wonderful. You can't go wrong at Paddock's and be sure to go to the weekly Farmer's market too. It is a large institution so they are hands off and one must search help if needed but all interactions with the staff were positive. The music program is terrific and the campus is beautiful. Be ready for plenty of fags (cigarettes) and wonderful people.

More guidance during on-campus orientation from UL, there was barely any and that could end up ruining a student's experience before it really starts. Arcadia must do a better job with this.
1 person found this review helpful.
Abby

Above and Beyond

My study abroad experience was everything I had hoped it would be. The only problem was a minor miscommunication with the on site staff which ended in a missed meeting with the Arcadia staff. But the UL staff was astounding! They were so caring and helpful, it was like having family in Ireland.

Better communication with Arcadia on site staff.
1 person found this review helpful.
Emily

Never Want to Leave

I attended a semester abroad at the University of Limerick and never wanted to leave. From the day I arrived in Ireland the Arcadia staff met us all at the airport, showed us around Dublin, taught us Irish slang, had us meet with the Gardia(police), gave us traditional Irish food and really helped prepare us for the semester ahead. The orientation was a great way to interact with the other students I would be with and gave us a connection so that we could rely on each other later on. Arcadia staff was always available by email or phone and were extremely helpful in multiple situations including during an unplanned trip to the dentist. We had a coordinator that was like our Irish Grandmother while we were there who showed us around the University campus, taught us how to take the bus routes into the city, showed us around the Market and city and even took us to dinner several times. Arcadia also planned a day trip to the Cliffs of Moher and Bunratty Castle for us and provided all the transportation and everything for only 10Euro. They also planned a huge weekend trip to Belfast for all of the students across Ireland. This made for a great weekend where we could reconnect with everyone we met at orientation and learn about the history of Belfast while exploring the city and the Giants Causeway. Arcadia even supplied with with a turkey and all the fixings to celebrate Thanksgiving while we abroad. Even though the Arcadia office was 2hours away in Dublin I never felt disconnected from them while in Limerick. The University of Limerick was a wonderful place to study as the campus was beautiful and set outside the city so you could be with all the other students but still only a half hour bus ride in to everything. There were numerous activities and clubs to get involved with that really helped me bond with Irish students and others from around the world. The on campus housing was better than any American Residence Hall I've seen. Suites were set up so that six people shared an apartment with a shared kitchen and living room but that each student had their own room and bathroom with a closet and even a double bed. Overall University of Limerick through the Arcadia program was a wonderful experience that I would do again in a heart beat if I could.

There was not as much help with transferring credits back and determining the difference in grading as I would have found helpful.