Arcadia University- Bond University

Arcadia University- Bond University

With its small class size and modern campus, Bond University offers a study abroad experience unlike that of other Australian universities. Bond's community fits perfectly in the modern campus built to capitalize on the school’s small size. The 10:1 student to faculty ratio further heights the sense of community. Arcadia’s study abroad program at Bond also boasts three full semesters a year, including one in the summertime, rare among Australian schools.

Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. Excursions may include: Broken Bay, North Stradbroke Island, and the Great Barrier Reef

Arcadia University opens the doors to new experiences, different academic learning, people, cultures and perspectives so you can build your own lifelong learning and memories. With Arcadia, you can: Enjoy academic success, explore a new world, get to know yourself, rely on us for support, and boost your resume.

Oceania » Australia » Gold Coast
Oceania » Australia
Communications
Health Sciences
Media Relations
Social Sciences
See website for details. Scholarships available!

Kristina
Brick NJ
Arcadia University

Amazing time at Bond

Bond was one of the best experiences of my life. I made life long friends, had the time of my life. I was give opportunities that I could not have anywhere else, like skydiving 14000 ft. in the air over the ocean, bungee jumping, and cave diving with sharks. Australia made me grow as a person and made me realize that I can do anything. Arcadia's support system was amazing and the way they ran there program is amazing. Going to school at Arcadia state side really prepared me for my trip abroad.

The program is perfect

Cait
Washington DC
George Washington University

All about working to live

7 months later, and I still get incredibly emotional thinking about never being in the same time and place with the same people at Bond Uni. Within my first week of being on campus, I realized when you read "Will respond in 24 hours" at the end of the email, it really means "maybe you'll hear back in 2 weeks". I needed to relax and bond taught me to do this. It taught me to look around at my settings and take every moment in. For the first time, I was encouraged to do what makes me truly happy. Not do what will make me happy in 10 years. Bond is a small community that provides everything you need right on campus: housing (rooms get cleaned every week plus your sheets changed), lounges, cafeteria ("the bra"), gym with free classes, swimming pool and hot tub, great study spaces, and beautiful outdoor space. I literally had "no worries". During club sign-on day, I seriously thought I was in the movie "Pitch Perfect". Everyone was so happy, and it was cool to be there (this is not normally at my school). I had classes 4 days a week: 1 long lecture per class per week and 1 small discussion ("tut") per class per week. Rarely had homework. Instead each class normally had a paper, midterm, and final. While you had to be more independent and manage your time well, I was significantly less stressed about school work. Australian Popular Culture is a great and fun way to learn about the country (mostly an American student class). Every week we watched a movie including "Crocodile Dundee". However, it was my classes with more Australian students (like Sport Development and Food, Nutrition, and Health) that I really got a great sense of Australian culture and perspective. But class was not my main focus and also did not take up the majority of my time. I spent most days catching the bus to Broadbeach or Burleigh Heads Beach, exploring different farmers markets, or just going to the pool to relax and play beach volleyball. I could spend every moment outside in the sun and heat, so this was a perfect place for me. Weekends were for traveling. No Friday class made this incredibly easy, and Bond's location (central on the east coast) made most places very accessible. I made it to Byron Bay (twice!), Morten Island (my favorite), North Stradbroke Island (free with Arcadia!), Brisbane, Mount Tamborine, Melbourne, and Cairns. The majority of these trips were either through Arcadia or the travel agent on campus (Student Flights). They provide great weekend trips that are mostly all-inclusive (HUGE bang for your buck and makes life easier). Australian GroupOn also had great trips. All were super easy and filled with adventures like hiking, surfing, kayaking, learning about Aboriginal culture, and more. Overall, Australia is a place were you learn to have the mentality "work to live" (not "live to work"). It has this beautiful appreciation for life and your surroundings. If you like outdoor adventures and don't want an intense cultural shock (although sometimes you will think they're speaking a different language), this is a great option. The best part? I still talk to my abroad friends (there were only 15 people on my program) almost everyday. They are my family, and I wasn't expecting to gain that.

I knew I was going to go abroad to Australia for 5 years and had extremely high expectations. Even though Bond completely surpassed these expectations, there were still parts I would change (although very hesitantly). Here they are.
1. Orientation was pretty boring and some of our activities got cancelled because of bad weather. Arcadia takes you to a small beach town outside of Melbourne, and you just sit through meetings. It was a nice and easy transition for having such intense jet lag, but some other programs go to really cool places (like Cairns or Sydney) and do more iconic things.
2. I didn't met a ton of Australians. I lived with everyone on my program, and Bond has a very high international student body. Furthermore, most Australians live off campus (I lived on campus). Well this was a disappointment at first, I ended up making great American friends that I still see and stay in contact.
3. Campus is kind of isolated. You have to take the bus to get pretty much anywhere (beach, more restaurants, shopping, night life). Except The Hub, a block off campus, is the best restaurant/cafe ever (check out their instagram). But you get used to it. Get a bike on sign-on day...they sell used ones for $40 (I regret not doing this)!!

Students from colleges and universities throughout the U.S. study abroad with Arcadia University through The College of Global Studies, the first college of its kind in the U.S. With over 130 programs in 12 countries, we offer a wide range of programs in many study