Arcadia University- Bond University

With its small class size and modern campus, Bond University offers a study abroad experience unlike that of other Australian universities. Bond's community fits perfectly in the modern campus built to capitalize on the school’s small size. The 10:1 student to faculty ratio further heights the sense of community. Arcadia’s study abroad program at Bond also boasts three full semesters a year, including one in the summertime, rare among Australian schools.

Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. Excursions may include: Broken Bay, North Stradbroke Island, and the Great Barrier Reef

Arcadia University opens the doors to new experiences, different academic learning, people, cultures and perspectives so you can build your own lifelong learning and memories. With Arcadia, you can: Enjoy academic success, explore a new world, get to know yourself, rely on us for support, and boost your resume.

Bryanna

Surf and Studying!

When a snowstorm pushed my departure date back I was nervous that I was going to miss out on meeting everyone at orientation and be lost the whole program. This was not the case at all, as soon as I arrived everyone (the advisors and other students) were super helpful and welcoming. I never had an out of place or homesick moment being surrounded by everyone. We all quickly became a little family through sharing meals, going on little trips, surfing and living it up at the beach.

My tips:: don't be afraid. There are so many opportunities for insane and memorable things to do in Australia. Come in with a positive mindset and don't be afraid to branch out or do things out of your comfort zone. Skydiving, surfing, even traveling to South East Asia were huge milestones for me but I wouldn't trade them anyday.
:: Try to go to Whitsundays. A somewhat expensive trip but completely worth it. Located between Cairns and Brisbane, this place has the most amazing beaches and sea life. One of my favorite and most memorable places of this whole semester abroad.
:: Don't sleep in. Most days I tried my best to wake up early and do something with my day. 4 months went by really fast, so it's really worth trying to spend every day outside or going to the beach (which is only 7 minutes away). The more time I spent away from technology or outside, I had a better outlook on everything.

We were able to have two orientations, one in Melbourne and another in Byron Bay and throughout the semester little trips within our program were available. I lived in the Blocks, which were single dorms but still communal. Even though I was living on my own I was still able to be friends with all the other girls on my floor. This whole semester was unforgettable, everyone was so nice and helpful. While we all live in different places across the United States, we still keep in contact every day and are planning trips around the world for the future. This was the best four months of my life, you become so close with the people and the memories will last a lifetime.

I wouldn't change much about this program. They were very informative and helpful. Some of my friends did have issues with their return flights, as the program told us we could depart one day but the school had scheduled finals that same day.
Kristina

Amazing time at Bond

Bond was one of the best experiences of my life. I made life long friends, had the time of my life. I was give opportunities that I could not have anywhere else, like skydiving 14000 ft. in the air over the ocean, bungee jumping, and cave diving with sharks. Australia made me grow as a person and made me realize that I can do anything. Arcadia's support system was amazing and the way they ran there program is amazing. Going to school at Arcadia state side really prepared me for my trip abroad.

The program is perfect
Cait

All about working to live

7 months later, and I still get incredibly emotional thinking about never being in the same time and place with the same people at Bond Uni. Within my first week of being on campus, I realized when you read "Will respond in 24 hours" at the end of the email, it really means "maybe you'll hear back in 2 weeks". I needed to relax and bond taught me to do this. It taught me to look around at my settings and take every moment in. For the first time, I was encouraged to do what makes me truly happy. Not do what will make me happy in 10 years. Bond is a small community that provides everything you need right on campus: housing (rooms get cleaned every week plus your sheets changed), lounges, cafeteria ("the bra"), gym with free classes, swimming pool and hot tub, great study spaces, and beautiful outdoor space. I literally had "no worries". During club sign-on day, I seriously thought I was in the movie "Pitch Perfect". Everyone was so happy, and it was cool to be there (this is not normally at my school). I had classes 4 days a week: 1 long lecture per class per week and 1 small discussion ("tut") per class per week. Rarely had homework. Instead each class normally had a paper, midterm, and final. While you had to be more independent and manage your time well, I was significantly less stressed about school work. Australian Popular Culture is a great and fun way to learn about the country (mostly an American student class). Every week we watched a movie including "Crocodile Dundee". However, it was my classes with more Australian students (like Sport Development and Food, Nutrition, and Health) that I really got a great sense of Australian culture and perspective. But class was not my main focus and also did not take up the majority of my time. I spent most days catching the bus to Broadbeach or Burleigh Heads Beach, exploring different farmers markets, or just going to the pool to relax and play beach volleyball. I could spend every moment outside in the sun and heat, so this was a perfect place for me. Weekends were for traveling. No Friday class made this incredibly easy, and Bond's location (central on the east coast) made most places very accessible. I made it to Byron Bay (twice!), Morten Island (my favorite), North Stradbroke Island (free with Arcadia!), Brisbane, Mount Tamborine, Melbourne, and Cairns. The majority of these trips were either through Arcadia or the travel agent on campus (Student Flights). They provide great weekend trips that are mostly all-inclusive (HUGE bang for your buck and makes life easier). Australian GroupOn also had great trips. All were super easy and filled with adventures like hiking, surfing, kayaking, learning about Aboriginal culture, and more. Overall, Australia is a place were you learn to have the mentality "work to live" (not "live to work"). It has this beautiful appreciation for life and your surroundings. If you like outdoor adventures and don't want an intense cultural shock (although sometimes you will think they're speaking a different language), this is a great option. The best part? I still talk to my abroad friends (there were only 15 people on my program) almost everyday. They are my family, and I wasn't expecting to gain that.

I knew I was going to go abroad to Australia for 5 years and had extremely high expectations. Even though Bond completely surpassed these expectations, there were still parts I would change (although very hesitantly). Here they are.
1. Orientation was pretty boring and some of our activities got cancelled because of bad weather. Arcadia takes you to a small beach town outside of Melbourne, and you just sit through meetings. It was a nice and easy transition for having such intense jet lag, but some other programs go to really cool places (like Cairns or Sydney) and do more iconic things.
2. I didn't met a ton of Australians. I lived with everyone on my program, and Bond has a very high international student body. Furthermore, most Australians live off campus (I lived on campus). Well this was a disappointment at first, I ended up making great American friends that I still see and stay in contact.
3. Campus is kind of isolated. You have to take the bus to get pretty much anywhere (beach, more restaurants, shopping, night life). Except The Hub, a block off campus, is the best restaurant/cafe ever (check out their instagram). But you get used to it. Get a bike on sign-on day...they sell used ones for $40 (I regret not doing this)!!

About Arcadia University Study Abroad

Students from colleges and universities throughout the U.S. study abroad with Arcadia University through The College of Global Studies, the first college of its kind in the U.S. With over 130 programs in 12 countries, we offer a wide range of...