ISA Study Abroad in Galway, Ireland

ISA Study Abroad in Galway, Ireland

ISA offers students an amazing opportunity to study abroad at the National University of Ireland, Galway (NUI Galway). Students can take courses alongside other international and local students from a large list of options including arts, business and law. NUI Galway was established in 1845 and attracts students and faculty from around the globe for its innovative approach to research and teaching. NUI Galway has a student population of over 17,000 and a sizable number are international. Sign up with ISA today to make your next semester or academic year one of the most memorable in your life! Check out all of the details by consulting ISA's extensive website right now!

Europe » Ireland » Galway

Annie
Redlands, CA
University of Redlands

Best Experience of My Life

I had such an amazing experience in this city, this school, and this program. I had never been out of the country until I traveled abroad, and IFSA made it so easy to figure out where I was supposed to be. They set us up in our apartments, had a multiple day orientation, and gave us a ton of good advice. The people in the program always ensured my safety and my health, and helped me get on the right track from the start. I became really close with our program adviser, and she was always there for us when we need anything. The school aspect of this program was the most challenging; NUIG enrolls their international students with regular students, and this was great, but difficult. Irish style of education is different than American in terms of testing instead of work, but this challenge is one of the reasons I'm so proud I went there. I was able to navigate a new education system, and receive a transcript from another institution that was complete and real! I really believe I earned the transcript I got, in comparison to people who just take joke classes that don't matter. That is why IFSA was amazing, it is an academic focused study abroad program that cares about you and your grades while abroad. I loved everything about Galway and the NUIG and I wish I could go back right now! Overall, the best experience of my life!

Deirdre
Lynchburg, Virginia
Lynchburg College

Galway Girl

Studying abroad in Galway with ISA was the best decision I ever made! Everyone has heard that studying abroad is a life changing experience, but what a lot of people don't focus on is the people who make that possible. My study abroad experience would not have been anywhere close to as great as it was without ISA there to assist me every step of the way.

When I was trying to decide what provider to use, ISA responded quickly to my e-mails, answering every question I had; in addition, when an ISA representative was on my campus, they took the time to meet with me to discuss my study abroad options. One of the greatest features of ISA is that they have on-site support in every country they send students to! My Resident Director was there for me 24/7, taking my group on excursions and around the city for cultural events, and taking the time to talk to me when I was having a bout of homesickness. With ISA, I had the chance to be independent in a new country while also knowing I wasn't alone.

Having ISA plan our excursions, which was included in the program fee, was also fantastic. I got the chance to explore Ireland without having to plan the trips myself or figure out extra funds. With ISA, I got to see everything from the hillsides of Connemara and the bustling streets of Dublin. When I went to explore more of Europe with a friend, my Resident Director helped me with the planning, making sure I didn't end up with nowhere to sleep or stranded in another country!

Galway itself was a beautiful city, with its main pedestrian shopping street leading down to the Galway Bay which features the Old Long Walk (a row of colorful houses on the water). The National University of Ireland, Galway was just a fifteen minute walk away from my apartment and the walk itself was gorgeous, overlooking an expanse of green only interrupted by the River Corrib.

Although you may think that Ireland wouldn't have that different of a culture from the U.S., I can assure you that that is not the case! I had so much fun learning about the Irish culture and immersing myself in it, talking to locals and making friends along the way. Most people think of Dublin when they think of Ireland, but Galway is most definitely the cultural capital. I had the experience of a lifetime there, finding myself with a second home, and I could not recommend Galway, or ISA, any more highly to you.

Just to know to wear hiking shoes for the Aran Islands excursion!

Danielle
Springfield, Missouri
Evangel University

Home Sweet Galway

The second that I stepped off of the bus in Galway for the first time, I knew I was home. Galway is truly the most incredible place I have ever been, and I immediately fell in love. The laid-back, simplistic way of life in Galway is one that I will never forget. The Irish people are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. They were almost always willing to chat and lend you help when you needed it.

Galway is so rich in culture. From music to art to cuisine, there is so much life and beauty in the city that I will never forget.

When studying abroad, I think it is easy to underestimate the amount of time you will actually spend doing coursework. It is definitely not easy, but the reward of learning about the history of Ireland from a local or learning about the archaeology of Ireland by being able to physically go visit excavation sites far outweighs the work that you will put in. NUIG was a great school, and my experience with the professors was nothing but wonderful.

ISA was such an incredible program to study with, and I am so thankful that they are who I picked to go abroad with. The on-site staff was absolutely wonderful, and the cultural excursions that were planned with ISA were so much fun. Even from before I left for Ireland, the ISA staff was so helpful in any way I needed, and they were so encouraging throughout the entire process.

I honestly don't know that I have any changes that I would make with the program. My experience with the ISA program and in Galway in general was honestly the best experience of my life, and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Maura
Lawrenceville, NJ
Rider University

Galway

Galway is a beautiful city with fantastic people. I loved getting lost down the winding, colorful streets. There was always something fun to do or new to discover. NUIG was easy to get to from our apartment, and I was happy with the course selection.

The culture shock was minimal since English was the spoken language, but it was fun to compare American and Irish slang with new Irish friends.

ISA made me feel comfortable navigating a new city. The directors showed us around and were always helpful.

Elizabeth
Port Huron, MI
Saginaw Valley State University

Galway

First of all, Galway is a beautiful city. It's in the west of Ireland and is full of traditional Irish culture, much more than Dublin, which is a lot more cliche for the benefit of tourists. You truly get the sense that you are in Ireland when you are in Galway. Be sure to take in all the street performers and the Marketplace that happens each weekend.
More insider tips of where to go: King's Head pub. It's great, and claims to be the oldest pub in Ireland. In the beginning of the Spring Semester they host comedy nights. Be sure to check them out! Griffin's Bakery is delicious. You're going to want to eat there all the time. Finally, don't be afraid of the clubs in Galway. Clubbing is a part of the culture, and chances are you will eventually go. Just be smart and stay safe and you will be fine.
The program director, Dermott (Call him Derm) is absolutely amazing. He is a great guy and a great program director! The group that I was with was his very first group and he handled everything so well right from the beginning. He is easy to talk to if you need help, and his office is almost always open, so make sure you visit him! He's absolutely awesome!
NUIG is a great university. The only thing you need to be prepared for is a lot of independent studying. That is the major focus of Irish education. Independent studying, with one final exam at the end. You still have to go to class, though, so don't think you can get out of that.
The excursions are fantastic! You'll love them.
Finally, the weather. Don't bother bring an umbrella, it'll just break. Don't bother bring rain boots, they are a sure way to tell you're American. Bring a jacket that can withstand water and is warm. It'll be your best friend.
Most of all, enjoy your experience in such a beautiful and awesome city, and don't be too sad when you have to go, because you know you will be back one day!

The weather could have been a wee bit better.
But in all honesty, I think the one thing that I would change is the amount of Irish Language tutoring available. Derm did a fantastic job getting us altogether before the exam, and his office was always open, but sometimes he was busy. I think more times throughout the semester with emphasis on Irish Language outside of the Irish Language class would be really beneficial.

Abby
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Virginia Wesleyan College

NUIG Summer 2013

Galway was such a beautiful city and was so much fun to explore. The college is situated in the middle of the city and is close to all of the major points of interest. The staff at the college is so nice and always willing to help students. The ISA staff is amazing and so great to go to with questions.

The housing was a long walk to the college

As a leader in international education for over twenty-five years, ISA is dedicated to providing university level students with the opportunity to discover, learn, and enjoy a way of life other than their own. ISA offers a diverse portfolio of education abroad programs across Africa,