Ireland: Galway - Irish Literature, History, and Music

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, USAC has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Study Abroad at NUI, Galway
Study Abroad at NUI, Galway
Study with USAC in Ireland
Study with USAC in Ireland
Study Abroad in Galway, Ireland with USAC

The summer Galway program is ideal for students interested in learning about Irish studies in a lively, student-oriented city on Ireland’s west coast. Galway's magical combination of ancient history and contemporary culture makes it a great location for Irish studies.

The Galway program consists of one 5-week Summer session offering academic coursework in literature, history, theatre, music, and the Gaelic language taught by established Irish and US scholars. Many of these courses include enticing field trips offering hands-on experience with the subject matter, such as walking tours of Galway, outings to the Connemara gaeltacht (Irish-speaking area), live theatre, and guest lectures by leading playwrights and directors, private Irish film screenings, and private in-class music concerts by leading traditional musicians and singers. Those with Irish roots can enroll in a 1-credit course to trace your family’s genealogy.

• Enjoy summer festivals, especially the Galway Film Fleadh, Ireland’s most prestigious film festival, and the Galway Arts Festival, one of the most vibrant celebrations of music, theatre, and arts of all sorts in Europe
  • Join in field trips that include the ancient Aran Islands and the rugged mountain landscapes of Connemara
  • Explore one of the cultural capitals of Europe on the optional tour/field study of Dublin
  • Trace your Irish roots through a genealogy course

Summer Virtual Internships & Online Classes are Here!

Let USAC bring the world to you through our new online Global Perspectives Program where you can gain an international perspective and develop intercultural experience through online courses and virtual internships. Students who complete a USAC Global Perspectives Program during Summer 2020 are eligible for a discount on future USAC programs.

USAC Scholarships
USAC Scholarships and Financial Aid

USAC awards over $2 million in scholarships and discounts each year to assist students with their study abroad expenses.

$500 - $1,000

Maia

I cannot recommend enough

I had a blast in this program. Everything was great and the timing was wonderful with the GIAF. Perfect for students on the quarter system who still want to be able to work in the summer.
Do not skip the day trips and go to the arts festival whenever you can, they're so much fun and a great way to see the country and culture. Bring sea bands or ginger for the trip to the Aran Islands though.
I highly recommend taking an afternoon to walk to Menlo Castle, it's just across the river and has some interesting history.
If you take a trip to Blarney, DO NOT KISS THE STONE.
Bring at least 2 pairs of good walking/hiking shoes, one pair will get wet and you want a dry pair to change into.
The music class is fun, but I wouldn't say it's terribly enlightening if you're a music major already. The theater class is very much worth it.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
It's easy to stay in you're room when it gets wet and windy, but with the arts festival going on there's lots of great shows to see in town so be sure to get out and experience all the great art.
Allie

Best Experience of My Life!

Studying abroad in Ireland, with USAC, was one of the best things I ever did for myself. I am a musician and being in the cultural heart of Ireland was the best way I could explore this. The streets are filled with Irish talent, and pretty much every local I talked with was very kind and accommodating.
The dorms were located in Corrib Village. Had my own room, with a shared kitchen and bathroom alongside 5 other girls. It was very convenient and also offered a free shuttle into the city centre every hour.
I never had a problem with safety, *but always be cautious*.
The academics were great as the teachers very much cared about whether you learned the material or not.
The field trips were some of the best parts. My favorite- Inishmore. We took this trip to the Aran Islands and it was one of the most beautiful things I've experienced. HOWEVER, when you go to the Aran Islands, make sure you wear long pants, because some of us (not me) on the group got ticks while walking through the brush.

If the students had more opportunity set up to interact with Irish Locals. I found I was the only one in the program who really took advantage of interacting and befriending the locals. It would be better if everyone else could as well.
Leanne

fantastic and truly Irish experience!

Everyone talks about what's "truly Irish," but this experience captured it all. Fantastic history class with field trips to forgotten places of real historical impact; theater class where we got to participate in the Galway Arts Fest along with locals; in-depth Dublin tour; it's hard to list everything that made me feel like an honorary Irish citizen before I came home! (And it made me want to become one for real!)

I wish we watched even more Irish films than we already did for fun - they were really educational and great choices of film.
Bee

Amazing Experience!

I participated in this program in the summer of 2009 and it was an absolutely amazing experience. Galway is a beautiful city on the west coast of Ireland that is near the Connemara Gaeltacht (Irish speaking areas of Ireland). The teachers that I had were amazing and they were able to get through quite a bit of material in just a five week time period. I participated in the music class and learned how to play the tin whistle within the first week.
There were several field trips that were part of the five weeks. During the time of the program, Galway has three different festivals, the Galway film fleadh, the Galway Arts Festival, and Race week which are all important parts of a summer in Galway that not many people get to experience.
I found my teachers and the rest of the support staff to be incredibly nice and helpful and worked hard to give us such an amazing experience. I also created a close group of friends who I still keep in touch with and can't wait to see again.
I highly recommend this program to anyone looking to spend time in Ireland or someone who just wants to get an experience that they will never forget.