Study Abroad in Israel at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev

By Ben-Gurion University of the Negev   Reviews (5)   94% Rating

The Overseas Student Program (OSP) of Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (BGU) offers students the opportunity to enroll in semester, year, or short-term programs. Students take courses taught in English in a variety of academic disciplines, including specializations in Entrepreneurship & Innovation, Global Health, Israel Studies, and Sustainable Development & Environment. Students can enroll in for-credit academic research with BGU faculty while on the program. All semester and year students start the program with six weeks of intensive Hebrew language (ulpan) and continue language study throughout the semester; no prior knowledge of the language is required. All program participants live in on-campus apartments with Israeli roommates, a unique aspect for study abroad programs in Israel. Volunteering and community engagement are pillars of the university with over 2/3 of the student body engaged in some form of activism; study abroad students are encouraged and able to get involved.

Asia › Israel › Be'er Sheva
Statement of Purpose
Letters of Recommendation
Age Requirement
Cost
Costs vary depending on the length of time on the program.

Significant scholarships available!
0.00

Rating Values

Evan
Bronx
City University of New York

Great Students, Faculty & Staff

Overall 8

A very vibrant campus, hospitable faculty and staff, and a more local feel than a 'large' city like Tel Aviv. A wide variety of people to meet and places to see. Traveling is constantly encouraged, and their 'study abroad /foreign student' office is always helpful in giving tips, helping translate, or assisting in trip logistics (critical for those trips over Shabbos).

The local students are very active both in Beer Sheva and other cities, so there's always something to do if not 15 minutes away, an hour and change into Tel Aviv.

I can't leave 5 stars due to issues during my last month and half, which is a shame since everything was great for the first few months. The dorms are also lacking (and more expensive than) renting or rooming off campus. If you are quite social definitely look for somewhere to rent instead of dorming.

Aside from this, I believe most will love their experience as much as I did if not more so.

Assistance for finding off-campus housing.

More student independence.
Amanda
Cherry Hill
University of Virginia

OSP Fall 2016

Overall 10

I highly recommend studying abroad in Israel, and specifically at Ben Gurion University. I had such an incredible, formative, memorable, fun, and adventurous experience during my six months in Be'er Sheva. The international program is comprised of students from all over the world, and is small enough so everyone gets to know one another. Because of this, I have friends all over, and I learned just as much about Israeli culture as I did other cultures. Additionally, the international students at BGU integrate into the BGU student population, so I really felt like I was part of the school. I really felt like I lived there, not like a visitor. I loved the authentic experience of living in Be'er Sheva. I traveled all over Israel each weekend- I went to Tel Aviv and Jerusalem all of the time, but it was great to return home to Be'er Sheva each week. We had amazing hiking trips on the weekends, and the counselors were so helpful. They really care about each student and are so much fun. I especially loved the Minorities of Israel class, in which we learned about many minority groups I did not know much about before, and visited some of their villages. I would choose to study abroad at BGU again without a doubt.

Tzippy
Queens

Best Decision Of My Life

Overall 10

The Overseas Program at Ben Gurion University was the best choice I ever made. I had been to Israel in several different contexts prior to it, mostly religious. This was a totally different experience because I was integrated in university with native Israelis in the dormitories. The OSP program itself was extremely eye-opening, because I had classmates from all over the world, Germany, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, France, the US, and Canada. Not only did I get the opportunity to integrate with Israelis, but with Europeans for the first time too. The program took us on endless trips all over the country and the staff was always extremely helpful. The classes were eye-opening, and I had the unique experience of taking a masters level course in Sde Boker once a week and working in David Ben Gurion's Archive. To this day, those were the best five months of my life. I'm really glad I chose to do the summer Ulpan as well. We had access to the sports center across from the dorms and went to the pool daily. Be'er Sheva is an extremely therapeutic, student oriented city and the campus is beautiful. There was always something going on for students. I made the friends of a lifetime there. I was fortunate enough to meet Mr. Ginsburg and thank him for this amazing opportunity.

Ashley
Kirksville, MO
Truman State University

Incredible Experience!!

Overall 9

Studying abroad at BGU was an amazing experience! I learned more than I ever could've imagined about more subjects than I would've dreamed of (mostly because I didn't know anything about them when I started the semester). While combining in-the-classroom learning with out-of-the-classroom field experiences, BGU OSP provides students with a real-world view of current issues related to health, immigration, environmentalism, political science, and Israeli culture. Aside from the coursework, the travel opportunities were immense. In my time there, I traveled to Turkey, Jordan, Egypt, Cyprus, and Greece, as well as thoroughly traversing all of Israel. The group trips that you can participate in are a great way to get to know the country and see all of the beautiful places you might not find on your own. The professional and student staff who work for this program are so creative and attentive; I really couldn't have asked for anyone better. Most importantly, the nature of this programs draws in a crowd of students who are looking for an adventure. If you're a motivated and curious learner who wants to explore the Middle East and learn Hebrew along the way, I'd highly recommend looking into this program for yourself. You'll never forget the experience!

Jamie
Gainesville, Florida
University of Florida

Amazing Experience!

Overall 10

Being an OSP Student was the best decision I ever made! Not only are the people amazing, the city, the classes, and the University is the best in the World! All my classes were fun and informative while being appropriate for a study abroad program. We went on trips around the country and we had time for ourselves to travel. If anyone is interested in a study abroad trip, this is the ultimate experience!

It would be longer :)

Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (BGU) remains true to its founding purpose by actively promoting high-technology, desert preservation, water resource management, alternative energy, international health services, and education in the Negev region, while also building bridges of peace between Israel and its Arab neighbors through initiatives in science, research and development. As Israel's only non-commuter based campus, BGU has been consistently ranked the #1 university for student life by Israeli students. The university is located in Beer-Sheva, Israel's fourth largest city, and an ideal location to immerse in Israeli life and culture. A train station next to campus takes students to Tel Aviv in under an hour, and bus service provides transportation to Jerusalem and other cities in Israel. With approximately 2/3 of the student body involved in community engagement/volunteerism, there are many options for study abroad students to get involved outside the classroom.

Community Photos: