Study Abroad in Rome, Italy: Semester or Academic Year

Study in Rome in Spring 2020 and you will receive a $2,000 discount!
Spend a semester or academic year in Rome with AIFS. Earn up to 19 credits studying at Richmond University in Rome. No previous Italian language study is required. Live in an Italian homestay or a shared student apartment. All programs include a meal plan valued at $1,400.

All programs begin with a 1-week language and cultural orientation. Choose between 4 academic programs:
• Traditional Academic Program
• Italian Language and Culture Certificate Program
• International Internship Program
• Music Program

Volunteer opportunities are also available.

You'll enjoy numerous social and cultural activities including a:
• 3-day excursion to Sorrento, Naples, Pompeii and Capri
• 3-days in Florence
• Day trip to the villages of Assisi and Spello.

Optional excursions include 3-days to Venice, 3-days to Auschwitz and Kraków, Poland and 3-days in Palermo, Sicily.

• $2,000 Discount Spring 2020
  • 3-day trip to Sorrento, Naples, Pompeii and Capri Island.
  • 3 days in Florence
  • Earn up to 19 credits and transcript issued by Richmond, The American International University in London.
  • Meal plan valued at $1,400

Meredith

The best 3 months of my life

The best semester with the best company. AIFS gave me the support I needed from day one to day ninety-nine. I will never be able to repay them for the love and kindness they shared toward me. The program in Rome was safe, supportive, and so much fun! There was always something to do and I will never forget the memories made. My apartment was perfecta and we made friends with the barista underneath us! The school provided us with professors that were so kind, they really wanted us to succeed. It was so easy to travel.

Caleb

Life Changing

I understand that study abroad being life changing is a cliche and I used to roll my eyes at it too! But then I did it, twice, both times through AIFS in Rome and I can truly say my life is changed. I went from a shy introvert who longed to go home after being home sick for 2 days, to suddenly someone with many friends and a new zest for life and desire to explore. The classes were scheduled to fit well with allowing for cultural out of classroom learning and the on site staff made you comfortable and were so welcoming. My experience was so incredible the first time, that immediately upon getting back to my home university, I worked hard with my academic counselor to make going back a possibility. I then returned to do an internship and grew even more. I cannot recommend this program enough!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would use a paper and pen journal to reflect on each day. The photos are nice, but even if you don't realize it at the time, you feel some many new things that can only be captured by words. The semester feels like it only lasts a week, so being able to save some small part of it is crucial. That and read up on reverse culture shock, as it is harder coming back, than going abroad
Justin

For a First Timer

For someone who was studying abroad for the first time, AIFS made the process extremely easy. It was evident that the onsite administrators cared about the student's first and created programming with the students' wants and needs in mind. While it was difficult to find courses for my major (political science) if you are an art, history or other liberal arts major there will be plenty for you to pick from. This program was well catered to first-time Italian speakers/learners. One of my favorite aspects of the program were the on-site interns that were present in our everyday classes. The interns made it easy to connect with Italian culture as well as pick up the language. The fact that they were our age made them a lot of fun to hang out with.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have attended more of the tours, day-trips, and excursions planned by the staff. They were so much fun and gave us exclusive access to many sites and venues we would have normally not been able to see.
Zenya

Semester of Personal Growth.

From learning about Ancient Rome in my early history classes and dreaming of visiting a world wonder, I knew Italy was the one place I had to visit. When I got to college, I knew that I wanted to study abroad but thought it was too expensive. When I got to my study abroad office they had recommended me using AIFS because it was probably going to be the program with the most inclusive benefits, and they are extremely good about accepting financial aid and are all around very helpfully. Throughout my entire process of applying to leaving Italy, AIFS was amazing and very responsive to all my needs and questions. I could not have asked more a better hands on program that made me feel safe, protected, yet let me have my own room to grow at the same time in Rome. The amount of cultural and social activities that AIFS and Richmond provided me enriched my experience, and I am forever grateful for having the experience of being able to live out my dreams for four months.
I was nervous for typical things like I wouldn’t meet anyone I connected with or I would feel like the odd one out, but most people in your abroad experience are feeling the Sam way and embark on the journey on their also. I already felt like I was a friendly person who didn’t struggle to make friends, but this experience really made me turn into someone who can talk to anyone in the room confidently. Dealing with foreign language barrier and cultural differences paved a way for me to grow and expand my horizons.

Amie

Rome: The Eternal City

Ciao! My name is Amie and I studied abroad in Rome, Italy in the Spring of 2018. I went through the program AIFS and was not disappointed! From the pre-departure process to my arrival back in the US, I felt that I was constantly helped with each new experience. As for the location, Rome is an amazing city. Everywhere you go, you are surrounded by art. Also, while observing the Colosseum or the Vatican you are surrounded by a cultural mix to people who are Italian and foreign.
While in Rome, I spent the semester living in Prati which is one of the safest parts of Rome. I lived in an apartment with five other students. I enjoyed the apartment, but I also heard awesome reviews about living in homestays. I attended classes Monday through Thursday at Richmond in Rome. The study center was small, but coming from a smaller university at home, it was comforting. Richmond in Rome was in a very central location, surrounded by restaurants and back to back with the famous Piazza Navona. Grabbing a cornetto (croissant) at the local breakfast place before a photography class will forever be one of my favorite past times. Besides taking classes AIFS also had given me the opportunity to volunteer at a primary school. There I taught English to third graders. All in all, AIFS added a lot of positivity to my study abroad experience. As for Rome, it will eternally be a place I call home, where beauty lurks on every corner and friendships, will last a lifetime.

Catherine

A semester in Rome

Studying abroad through AIFS in Rome, Italy was a truly life changing experience. The program provides an all inclusive package that makes you feel stress-free as you're planning to live in a different country for five months. Being able to reside in a city that has so much history made me feel like I always had something to see and do. I highly recommend AIFS to anyone - you will not be disappointed.

Blair

A Semester In Rome Italy with AIFS

A semester in Rome with AIFS Study Abroad was more than I could have ever asked for or expected in an experience. I am currently a senior at St. John Fisher College, majoring in Human Resources Management. I never thought I would be able to see so much of the world being from such a small area myself. When abroad AIFS gave me the opportunity to go to 7 countries and 28 cities.
The resident staff at the school truly made the program for me. They went above and beyond to make sure everything was perfect for us and that we were all assimilating well. The classes at Richmond were very interesting and challenging. The professors made sure to keep class engaging by bringing you to an onsite location almost every meeting. I mean, how many people can say they learned about Caravaggio paintings and then got to walk 2 minutes and see his breath taking work live and in person.
I would not trade my study abroad experience for anything in world. AIFS is an all inclusive program (meaning the flights, food, and housing is all planned out and included in the price) so it took almost all the stress out of planning for me!

Read my full story
Justine

Home in Rome

Ciao! This program with Rome was an amazing and life changing experience. Throughout my time abroad the onsite staff continued to make sure we were immersed in the local culture. I got to travel to so many Italian cities and experience them how the locals do. In Naples I got to eat at one of the first pizzerias, ever. In Rome we had the chance to take cooking classes to continue eating this amazing food upon returning home.
The resident director, Rosanna, was amazing. You could always go to Rosanna to talk about academics, living situations, or personal situations and she would welcome you with open arms.
Choosing AIFS was the perfect fit for me and my study abroad experience.