AIFS Study Abroad in Rome: Semester or Academic Year

Spend a semester or year in the vibrant and historic city of Rome. Earn up to 19 credits studying at Richmond. Courses are taught in English or Italian, and no previous Italian study is required. Students take courses in art, art history, journalism, film, fashion, history, business, political science and more.

Live in a homestay or a shared student apartment in different neighborhoods of the city center, both with meal options and internet. Enjoy cultural and social activities such as visits to the many museums and cultural sites of Rome, Italian cooking classes, ballet and opera performances, and visits to Hadrian’s Villa, Ostia Antica, Viterbo and the hot baths and more. AIFS includes trips to Naples and Pompeii, Florence, and a day trip to Assisi and Spello. Optional excursions include trips to Milan, Krakow and Auschwitz, Venice and Palermo.

With its sunny climate and unparalleled wealth of ancient history, Rome has more to offer than any other city in the world.

• Homemade pasta and cooking classes
  • Day trip to Bracciano Lake and Castle
  • Pizza and Gelato tasting
  • Day trips around Rome

Catherine

A semester in Rome

Studying abroad through AIFS in Rome, Italy was a truly life changing experience. The program provides an all inclusive package that makes you feel stress-free as you're planning to live in a different country for five months. Being able to reside in a city that has so much history made me feel like I always had something to see and do. I highly recommend AIFS to anyone - you will not be disappointed.

Blair

A Semester In Rome Italy with AIFS

A semester in Rome with AIFS Study Abroad was more than I could have ever asked for or expected in an experience. I am currently a senior at St. John Fisher College, majoring in Human Resources Management. I never thought I would be able to see so much of the world being from such a small area myself. When abroad AIFS gave me the opportunity to go to 7 countries and 28 cities.
The resident staff at the school truly made the program for me. They went above and beyond to make sure everything was perfect for us and that we were all assimilating well. The classes at Richmond were very interesting and challenging. The professors made sure to keep class engaging by bringing you to an onsite location almost every meeting. I mean, how many people can say they learned about Caravaggio paintings and then got to walk 2 minutes and see his breath taking work live and in person.
I would not trade my study abroad experience for anything in world. AIFS is an all inclusive program (meaning the flights, food, and housing is all planned out and included in the price) so it took almost all the stress out of planning for me!

Justine

Home in Rome

Ciao! This program with Rome was an amazing and life changing experience. Throughout my time abroad the onsite staff continued to make sure we were immersed in the local culture. I got to travel to so many Italian cities and experience them how the locals do. In Naples I got to eat at one of the first pizzerias, ever. In Rome we had the chance to take cooking classes to continue eating this amazing food upon returning home.
The resident director, Rosanna, was amazing. You could always go to Rosanna to talk about academics, living situations, or personal situations and she would welcome you with open arms.
Choosing AIFS was the perfect fit for me and my study abroad experience.

Nathan

Experience of a LIfetime!!!

The greatest day of my experience abroad was only made possible by AIFS. AIFS provided excursions that were included with the program to different places all over the country. For one weekend, they brought us down to the Amalfi Coast. This is a gorgeous stretch of coastline on the east of Italy. For one day, they took us all to a gorgeous island off the coast called Capri and to this day, it stands firmly on top as the best day of my life. Exploring an island off the coast of Italy with all of my new friends was the pinnacle of an amazing experience that was only made possible by AIFS.

The ONLY thing I would change about this is a better job of integrating students with other Italians. While I definitely experienced the culture of Italy and everything Rome had to offer, I felt that I didn't meet that many Italians. Seeing the culture through their eyes and being able to practice my language with a true Italian would have been really enjoyable.
Ariel

Flooded Venice

The program I studied abroad through, AIFS Richmond in Rome, provides all students with an excursion to Venice. Before departing, the weather prediction showed flooding throughout the city. We all prepared and bought rain boots, jackets and umbrellas. On the first night in the city, most of the students in my program were all hiding from the cold weather in a hotel room. My friends and I were curious about the flooding, so we decided to go check out Saint Mark's Square, the lowest point in the city. We took off on the drizzly, wet streets of Venice, following signs to our destination. As we neared the piazza, we walked across elevated paths, or cat-walks, that the city set up above the water. The piazza was flooded with about one foot of water, with city lights reflecting into the flood. We danced around in the water to the flood sirens that blared throughout the city and had one of the most memorable nights of our lives.

Provide a means for students to learn Italian before departure.
Nessa

A summer in rome

Biggest difficulty was the language barrier with staff and locals. Other than that the city is beautiful and a great place to learn on your own. Most of the days are spend packed with different activities.

No, I don't recommend
April

My days in Rome

Studying abroad in Rome was such a great experience and I learned a lot. My highlights were the side trips to Pompeii and Capri. From an academic standpoint, I really enjoyed my history class. Being able to walk around the city and envision where and how historic events took place was fantastic!

Location of housing and choice of roommates. The people I ran around with ended up being in apartments that were 20 minutes from me.
josh

aifs rome

i had a fantastic experience with aifs in rome. the staff is always there for you, the accommodations are excellent, and the organized trips are a lot of fun. classes arent too challenging, which allows you plenty of freedom to spend time enjoying the city and traveling. rome is a small enough city that you never feel overwhelmed but at the same time there are always new things to do and places to see. id go back in a heartbeat

Michelle

La bella vita...

Richmond in Rome with AIFS is hands down the best study abroad program in the eternal city. Since meal plans, accommodations, and excursions are included you really do get the most for your money. For me, the program was the perfect size (about 75 students and 15 staff members) which was intimate enough for engaging classes, and large enough to meet new faces throughout the semester. The school itself was located in an amazing location, allowing me to explore the city between classes, and to enjoy the scenery on my walk to school every morning. In fact, I chose the home-stay option, and my apartment was just a block from the Vatican! That placed me right in the historical center of Rome, and coincidentally during one of the most epic moments in history-the resignation of Pope Benedetto XVI, and the election of Pope Francesco! Now of course, not everyone will be so fortunate to be there in such heightened times, however, this is just to illustrate the point that Rome is an incredibly busy city, with some of the worlds richest and growing history. This study abroad program helped me be a part of that.

Many of my classes were taught onsite by knowledgeable and passionate professors. The excursions were very well organized. Each of them had a balance between faculty-led activities and free time for exploring on your own. The accommodations in Venezia, Napoli, and Firenze were cozy and centrally located. Excursions were a great way to bond with other students in my program. In addition to the excursions, the cultural events such as wine tastings, cooking classes, museum and villa trips helped expose us students to the culture and become closer with one another at the same time.

Another plus for this program when comparing it to others, is that it comes with meal vouchers! Eating in Rome as one would imagine can become pretty expensive, however these costs can be greatly reduced with these vouchers. Because they were accepted in many restaurants and grocery stores in all of Italy, I was able to better budget my expenses so that I could travel more.

If I every had a question or concern, or was in need of a simple suggestion, a staff member was just a phone call or email away with a quick response. Any student on my program will tell you how amazing the Richmond staff was: Rosanna, Marco, Chicca, instructors and interns put forth great efforts to give us an unforgettable experience and they succeeded. They were also just very caring and approachable people that many of us students, including myself still keep in touch with.

Undoubtedly, my favorite part of my study abroad experience was my Italian host family. My host family and I became very close. They showed me Rome from the eyes of Romans, and taught me a lot about their culture and way of life in a way that I wouldn't have been able to learn on my own. My months in Rome have forged a relationship with them and my Italian friends that will last a lifetime, and that's something you can't put a price tag on. I cannot wait to go back!

I wouldn't say that this is necessarily a fault of the program, because not many students proficient in the Italian language enrolled my semester. However, for me personally, and others at the advanced speaking level, the program could be improved by adding courses (other than the language courses) that are taught in Italian.
noah82689

amazing program

this program was an amazing experience. the staff did an amazing job organizing outings and housing. they were very helpful with any questions we had. Rome was a great city to study in, the city and the nightlife were lots of fun. Rome is a great city to study in.

Romie

Roma

The people were great!! The shopping was amazing!! The food was to die for and worth every minute of the flight... It was the first time I've ever been out of the country but I still felt at home. You're so close to many different cities which are a train ride or quick flight away. If you only take one class, which I did, you will have plenty of time to explore the city! I took a renaissance class where we visited the Vatican for class as well as the pantheon among many other amazing sights. Bring comfortable shoes and try the bruschetta!

TPink

An Experience to Remember

AIFS Richmond in Rome is an absolutely wonderful program. The staff are friendly, inviting, and want to help you to have the best experience in Rome as possible. The location of the school is in the heart of the city, and my apartment arrangement was fantastic - it overlooked the Tiber River and was only feet away from the Roman Forum. There is no better way to experience and learn about history and art than to do it with AIF in Rome. Classes are taught mainly on site and not in classrooms, making learning so much more of an experience and adventure rather than a boring task.

Kristin

Best Experience of My Life

Everyone was nice, helpful and fun. I made friends amazing friends and had the best 4 months of my life. I had class Monday - Thurs and used the weekends to travel. The food in Rome is absolutely amazing and this program includes so much!!

I would go back in a heart beat!!

Alli

They care about the experience

The staff at Richmond in Rome honestly and truly care about each individual's experience in Rome. They go out of their way to have a packed schedule of not only awesome classes, but events most nights of the week. Including: Wine tasting, dinner with Italian friends, Museum visits with personal tour guides, Excursions and Soccer games. And the best part--the staff usually comes with you to these events, so they become more like you're friends than the front office workers. The academic scene is typical of a study abroad program-- light, but informational. There are tons of trips to museums, churches, and monuments so you actually learn the information onsite, which makes it not only memorable but exciting as well. The apartments are actual apartments, with actual Italian landlords that speak only italian. This helped you get a feel of living in Rome rather than just going to school there and living in a dorm with only american students. This program was the best decision, and I would never have changed it.

Kalie

Roaming around Rome

This trip was definitely the trip of a lifetime and one I will never forget or ever be able to replace. I learned so much during my time abroad that now I want to travel the world! The social scene was fantastic in Italy and the classes outside in front of the real architecture was to die for! I would go back in a heart beat. I recommend this study abroad experience to everyone and their mother!!! IT IS SO WORTH EVERY PENNY! You will never get the life experiences anywhere else! CIAO! ~Kalie

No, I don't recommend

About AIFS Study Abroad

AIFS is a leading provider of study abroad programs. Since 1964, more than 1.5 million students have traveled abroad with AIFS. Comprehensive program fees make it convenient for students to study abroad and experience all that the world has to offer....