Study Abroad in Rome, Italy: Semester or Academic Year

Verona Italy
Gelato in Venice, Italy
Gelato in Venice, Italy
AIFS Rome, Italy

Study in Rome in Spring 2020 and you will receive a $2,000 discount!
Spend a semester or academic year in Rome with AIFS. Earn up to 19 credits studying at Richmond University in Rome. No previous Italian language study is required. Live in an Italian homestay or a shared student apartment. All programs include a meal plan valued at $1,400.

All programs begin with a 1-week language and cultural orientation. Choose between 4 academic programs:
• Traditional Academic Program
• Italian Language and Culture Certificate Program
• International Internship Program
• Music Program

Volunteer opportunities are also available.

You'll enjoy numerous social and cultural activities including a:
• 3-day excursion to Sorrento, Naples, Pompeii and Capri
• 3-days in Florence
• Day trip to the villages of Assisi and Spello.

Optional excursions include 3-days to Venice, 3-days to Auschwitz and Kraków, Poland and 3-days in Palermo, Sicily.

• $2,000 Discount Spring 2020
  • 3-day trip to Sorrento, Naples, Pompeii and Capri Island.
  • 3 days in Florence
  • Earn up to 19 credits and transcript issued by Richmond, The American International University in London.
  • Meal plan valued at $1,400

AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships
AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships, Grants & Financial Support

We believe a study abroad experience is an essential component of well-rounded university education and we are committed to providing financial assistance to as many students as possible in support of their goal to study abroad.

$500 - $5,000

Justin

For a First Timer

For someone who was studying abroad for the first time, AIFS made the process extremely easy. It was evident that the onsite administrators cared about the student's first and created programming with the students' wants and needs in mind. While it was difficult to find courses for my major (political science) if you are an art, history or other liberal arts major there will be plenty for you to pick from. This program was well catered to first-time Italian speakers/learners. One of my favorite aspects of the program were the on-site interns that were present in our everyday classes. The interns made it easy to connect with Italian culture as well as pick up the language. The fact that they were our age made them a lot of fun to hang out with.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have attended more of the tours, day-trips, and excursions planned by the staff. They were so much fun and gave us exclusive access to many sites and venues we would have normally not been able to see.
Zenya

Semester of Personal Growth.

From learning about Ancient Rome in my early history classes and dreaming of visiting a world wonder, I knew Italy was the one place I had to visit. When I got to college, I knew that I wanted to study abroad but thought it was too expensive. When I got to my study abroad office they had recommended me using AIFS because it was probably going to be the program with the most inclusive benefits, and they are extremely good about accepting financial aid and are all around very helpfully. Throughout my entire process of applying to leaving Italy, AIFS was amazing and very responsive to all my needs and questions. I could not have asked more a better hands on program that made me feel safe, protected, yet let me have my own room to grow at the same time in Rome. The amount of cultural and social activities that AIFS and Richmond provided me enriched my experience, and I am forever grateful for having the experience of being able to live out my dreams for four months.
I was nervous for typical things like I wouldn’t meet anyone I connected with or I would feel like the odd one out, but most people in your abroad experience are feeling the Sam way and embark on the journey on their also. I already felt like I was a friendly person who didn’t struggle to make friends, but this experience really made me turn into someone who can talk to anyone in the room confidently. Dealing with foreign language barrier and cultural differences paved a way for me to grow and expand my horizons.

Amie

Rome: The Eternal City

Ciao! My name is Amie and I studied abroad in Rome, Italy in the Spring of 2018. I went through the program AIFS and was not disappointed! From the pre-departure process to my arrival back in the US, I felt that I was constantly helped with each new experience. As for the location, Rome is an amazing city. Everywhere you go, you are surrounded by art. Also, while observing the Colosseum or the Vatican you are surrounded by a cultural mix to people who are Italian and foreign.
While in Rome, I spent the semester living in Prati which is one of the safest parts of Rome. I lived in an apartment with five other students. I enjoyed the apartment, but I also heard awesome reviews about living in homestays. I attended classes Monday through Thursday at Richmond in Rome. The study center was small, but coming from a smaller university at home, it was comforting. Richmond in Rome was in a very central location, surrounded by restaurants and back to back with the famous Piazza Navona. Grabbing a cornetto (croissant) at the local breakfast place before a photography class will forever be one of my favorite past times. Besides taking classes AIFS also had given me the opportunity to volunteer at a primary school. There I taught English to third graders. All in all, AIFS added a lot of positivity to my study abroad experience. As for Rome, it will eternally be a place I call home, where beauty lurks on every corner and friendships, will last a lifetime.

Catherine

A semester in Rome

Studying abroad through AIFS in Rome, Italy was a truly life changing experience. The program provides an all inclusive package that makes you feel stress-free as you're planning to live in a different country for five months. Being able to reside in a city that has so much history made me feel like I always had something to see and do. I highly recommend AIFS to anyone - you will not be disappointed.

Blair

A Semester In Rome Italy with AIFS

A semester in Rome with AIFS Study Abroad was more than I could have ever asked for or expected in an experience. I am currently a senior at St. John Fisher College, majoring in Human Resources Management. I never thought I would be able to see so much of the world being from such a small area myself. When abroad AIFS gave me the opportunity to go to 7 countries and 28 cities.
The resident staff at the school truly made the program for me. They went above and beyond to make sure everything was perfect for us and that we were all assimilating well. The classes at Richmond were very interesting and challenging. The professors made sure to keep class engaging by bringing you to an onsite location almost every meeting. I mean, how many people can say they learned about Caravaggio paintings and then got to walk 2 minutes and see his breath taking work live and in person.
I would not trade my study abroad experience for anything in world. AIFS is an all inclusive program (meaning the flights, food, and housing is all planned out and included in the price) so it took almost all the stress out of planning for me!

Read my full story
Justine

Home in Rome

Ciao! This program with Rome was an amazing and life changing experience. Throughout my time abroad the onsite staff continued to make sure we were immersed in the local culture. I got to travel to so many Italian cities and experience them how the locals do. In Naples I got to eat at one of the first pizzerias, ever. In Rome we had the chance to take cooking classes to continue eating this amazing food upon returning home.
The resident director, Rosanna, was amazing. You could always go to Rosanna to talk about academics, living situations, or personal situations and she would welcome you with open arms.
Choosing AIFS was the perfect fit for me and my study abroad experience.

Nathan

Experience of a LIfetime!!!

The greatest day of my experience abroad was only made possible by AIFS. AIFS provided excursions that were included with the program to different places all over the country. For one weekend, they brought us down to the Amalfi Coast. This is a gorgeous stretch of coastline on the east of Italy. For one day, they took us all to a gorgeous island off the coast called Capri and to this day, it stands firmly on top as the best day of my life. Exploring an island off the coast of Italy with all of my new friends was the pinnacle of an amazing experience that was only made possible by AIFS.

The ONLY thing I would change about this is a better job of integrating students with other Italians. While I definitely experienced the culture of Italy and everything Rome had to offer, I felt that I didn't meet that many Italians. Seeing the culture through their eyes and being able to practice my language with a true Italian would have been really enjoyable.
Ariel

Flooded Venice

The program I studied abroad through, AIFS Richmond in Rome, provides all students with an excursion to Venice. Before departing, the weather prediction showed flooding throughout the city. We all prepared and bought rain boots, jackets and umbrellas. On the first night in the city, most of the students in my program were all hiding from the cold weather in a hotel room. My friends and I were curious about the flooding, so we decided to go check out Saint Mark's Square, the lowest point in the city. We took off on the drizzly, wet streets of Venice, following signs to our destination. As we neared the piazza, we walked across elevated paths, or cat-walks, that the city set up above the water. The piazza was flooded with about one foot of water, with city lights reflecting into the flood. We danced around in the water to the flood sirens that blared throughout the city and had one of the most memorable nights of our lives.

Provide a means for students to learn Italian before departure.
Nessa
No, I don't recommend this program

A summer in rome

Biggest difficulty was the language barrier with staff and locals. Other than that the city is beautiful and a great place to learn on your own. Most of the days are spend packed with different activities.

April

My days in Rome

Studying abroad in Rome was such a great experience and I learned a lot. My highlights were the side trips to Pompeii and Capri. From an academic standpoint, I really enjoyed my history class. Being able to walk around the city and envision where and how historic events took place was fantastic!

Location of housing and choice of roommates. The people I ran around with ended up being in apartments that were 20 minutes from me.
josh

aifs rome

i had a fantastic experience with aifs in rome. the staff is always there for you, the accommodations are excellent, and the organized trips are a lot of fun. classes arent too challenging, which allows you plenty of freedom to spend time enjoying the city and traveling. rome is a small enough city that you never feel overwhelmed but at the same time there are always new things to do and places to see. id go back in a heartbeat

Michelle

La bella vita...

Richmond in Rome with AIFS is hands down the best study abroad program in the eternal city. Since meal plans, accommodations, and excursions are included you really do get the most for your money. For me, the program was the perfect size (about 75 students and 15 staff members) which was intimate enough for engaging classes, and large enough to meet new faces throughout the semester. The school itself was located in an amazing location, allowing me to explore the city between classes, and to enjoy the scenery on my walk to school every morning. In fact, I chose the home-stay option, and my apartment was just a block from the Vatican! That placed me right in the historical center of Rome, and coincidentally during one of the most epic moments in history-the resignation of Pope Benedetto XVI, and the election of Pope Francesco! Now of course, not everyone will be so fortunate to be there in such heightened times, however, this is just to illustrate the point that Rome is an incredibly busy city, with some of the worlds richest and growing history. This study abroad program helped me be a part of that.

Many of my classes were taught onsite by knowledgeable and passionate professors. The excursions were very well organized. Each of them had a balance between faculty-led activities and free time for exploring on your own. The accommodations in Venezia, Napoli, and Firenze were cozy and centrally located. Excursions were a great way to bond with other students in my program. In addition to the excursions, the cultural events such as wine tastings, cooking classes, museum and villa trips helped expose us students to the culture and become closer with one another at the same time.

Another plus for this program when comparing it to others, is that it comes with meal vouchers! Eating in Rome as one would imagine can become pretty expensive, however these costs can be greatly reduced with these vouchers. Because they were accepted in many restaurants and grocery stores in all of Italy, I was able to better budget my expenses so that I could travel more.

If I every had a question or concern, or was in need of a simple suggestion, a staff member was just a phone call or email away with a quick response. Any student on my program will tell you how amazing the Richmond staff was: Rosanna, Marco, Chicca, instructors and interns put forth great efforts to give us an unforgettable experience and they succeeded. They were also just very caring and approachable people that many of us students, including myself still keep in touch with.

Undoubtedly, my favorite part of my study abroad experience was my Italian host family. My host family and I became very close. They showed me Rome from the eyes of Romans, and taught me a lot about their culture and way of life in a way that I wouldn't have been able to learn on my own. My months in Rome have forged a relationship with them and my Italian friends that will last a lifetime, and that's something you can't put a price tag on. I cannot wait to go back!

I wouldn't say that this is necessarily a fault of the program, because not many students proficient in the Italian language enrolled my semester. However, for me personally, and others at the advanced speaking level, the program could be improved by adding courses (other than the language courses) that are taught in Italian.
noah82689

amazing program

this program was an amazing experience. the staff did an amazing job organizing outings and housing. they were very helpful with any questions we had. Rome was a great city to study in, the city and the nightlife were lots of fun. Rome is a great city to study in.

Romie

Roma

The people were great!! The shopping was amazing!! The food was to die for and worth every minute of the flight... It was the first time I've ever been out of the country but I still felt at home. You're so close to many different cities which are a train ride or quick flight away. If you only take one class, which I did, you will have plenty of time to explore the city! I took a renaissance class where we visited the Vatican for class as well as the pantheon among many other amazing sights. Bring comfortable shoes and try the bruschetta!

TPink

An Experience to Remember

AIFS Richmond in Rome is an absolutely wonderful program. The staff are friendly, inviting, and want to help you to have the best experience in Rome as possible. The location of the school is in the heart of the city, and my apartment arrangement was fantastic - it overlooked the Tiber River and was only feet away from the Roman Forum. There is no better way to experience and learn about history and art than to do it with AIF in Rome. Classes are taught mainly on site and not in classrooms, making learning so much more of an experience and adventure rather than a boring task.

About AIFS Study Abroad

AIFS is a leading provider of study abroad programs. Since 1964, more than 1.5 million students have traveled abroad with AIFS. Comprehensive program fees make it convenient for students to study abroad and experience all that the world has to offer....