Food and Culture in Siena, Italy

The Piazza del Campo during the reveling of the Contrade's chosen to compete during the Palio horse race. Hear the cheers of excitement from each Contrade members as their flag is presented and they are going to participate in the next Palio!
Wine tasting at the Enoteca la Fortezza in the beautiful Montalcino! Just a short distance from Siena, it is the perfect place to have a relaxing weekend getaway and to truly experience life in the tuscan hillsides. Simply divine!
Graduation day from La Scuola di Cucina di Lella Cesari Ciampoli! Learned traditional Sienese and Tuscan recipes that have been passed down through the generations. Truly an unforgettable experience.
Italian pastries
Italian pastries

This spring quarter program delves into complex food-related issues and helps students gain new insights into the ways in which food mediates social, political, environmental, cultural and economic processes and landscapes. Students study Italian food and culture in the contexts of Siena and Tuscany, which are the birthplace of agritourism and well-known for the quality of their foods and wines. The program offers opportunities for classroom, field-based, and service learning, and students will have the opportunity to learn from farmers, family cooks and professional chefs, and creative entrepreneurs who are building sustainable food businesses with worldclass offerings that celebrate their regional heritage. The courses are all instructed in English and students have the option to enroll in additional courses in Italian language, business, politics, culture, etc.

Students will earn approximately 15-20 quarter or 13-16 semester credits and live in shared apartments in Siena, Italy.

• Study Italian food and culture in the heart of Tuscany
  • Share an apartment with other students in picturesque and safe Siena, Italy
  • Gain a greater understanding of the role food plays in social, environmental and economic issues in Italy and worldwide

Samantha

Amazing Italy!

This was the most amazing experience I have ever had. I would recommend this program to anyone interesting. The classes are very interesting, the staff is so sweet and generous and traveling around is amazing and so easy. For future participants know that class is still a priority but you still have a ton of time to travel. Book flights in advance to save as much money as you can and consider staying in hostels because some are very cute and trendy

Rachel

Siena Experience

I had such an amazing time in Siena. Before studying abroad, I was looking for a program that really allowed me to immerse myself into an entirely different culture and truly understand what it was like to live in a different country. I wanted to experience what it was like to live in a different country, not just as a tourist, but as a person who was genuinely living the daily life as a local. This is what swayed me away from a program in London, for example, but what pushed me to study abroad in Siena. To future participants, if you are looking for a similar experience, Siena is the perfect place to go. Being able to experience normal daily life in a different country allowed me to broaden by horizons and learn that there is more to life than just what I am used to. I definitely feel more worldly and independent after studying abroad in Siena.

I was placed in an apartment that was about a mile away from the school. I wouldn't mind this if the apartment was located in a busy area, but it was outside of the city walls and very secluded from everything and everyone. We were the only ones in the program that lived in this apartment and everyone else lived relatively close to the school and to each other. I felt unsafe, at times, walking home at night or even sometimes during the day. I would've felt more safe and comfortable if the program gave us living quarters that were located inside the city walls.
Emily

Spring in Siena

Spending nearly three months in the beautiful Siena was truly a life changing and unforgettable experience! Walking the medieval streets and learning the history of how they came to be was surreal. Weekend adventures, discovering new foods, and the life long friendships and memories that I have made throughout the course of this program are what, I can honestly say, some of the best months of my life!

About GEO Study Abroad

At Global Education Oregon, we create pathways to international, experiential learning for students, faculty, and university partners. Founded on the belief that international engagement is integral to developing global citizens, we prepare students...