IES Abroad Siena - Study in Tuscany

IES Abroad Siena - Study in Tuscany

This program’s core course, Presence of the Past, makes Siena and the Tuscan countryside your classroom through activities that explore important sites in and around the city, introducing you to the beauty of Siena’s cultural and artistic heritage.

While you’re in Siena, you’ll not only have time to see the sites, but also to interact with Italians and improve your Italian speaking skills. With an integrated curriculum of English- and Italian-taught courses led by Italian faculty, IES Abroad Siena offers you the opportunity to increase your Italian language skills no matter what your proficiency level.

If you have four or more semesters of Italian, we encourage you to enroll in courses alongside local students at the Università degli Studi di Siena.

Siena will be your classroom. Explore the many piazzas, cathedrals, and squares inside Siena’s city walls that harken back to the Middle Ages. This isn’t just an exhibit at a museum—this is where you live. Welcome to study abroad!

Europe » Italy » Siena

Nataly
1 month old
Gambier
Kenyon College

Loved Siena and the program!

I had a blast living in Siena for a year! I thoroughly enjoyed all the classes that were offered, got to do an internship, and loved exploring Siena. The program is well organized, I loved my host family, and I can't wait to go back again soon to see all my friends there. I recommend this program to those who are interested in medieval Italy, Tuscan art history, and those who love exploring small towns (with so many wine varieties!).

Kristina
Clifton, NJ
George Washington University

Rewarding Abroad Experience

If your goal is to be immersed in your host city's culture, Siena is perfect. In larger cities, the tourist aspect can overshadow the true culture but Siena is not a big tourist town until the spring and summer so I was able to see what the city is really like. I think that I learned more Italian in Siena than I would have in a more major city because the locals were more willing to treat me as a student rather than a tourist. It is definitely a great program if you want to find an authentic Italian city.

Perhaps more programs that would allow the students to interact with University of Siena students would be beneficial for everyone. The program is small so it would have been nice to meet more people outside of the program.

Taylor
Richmond, VA
University of Richmond

Small Town Charm

My experience in Siena was absolutely incredible. I did not know much about this small city before I arrived, and instead had the opportunity to discover what it means to be Sienese in the city itself. I had no sense of Il Palio, or the importance of the contrada (neighborhood) until I was living with a host family in La Civetta (the owl contrada), who had won Il Palio just three weeks before I arrived. The members of the neighborhood were eating huge dinners that lined the streets in celebration for the first month I was abroad, and I could hear them celebrating and singing long after I'd gone back to the apartment. Pro Tip: If you hear Christmas carols in August, it means you're in a Contrada that won, who are bragging by telling the other contradas through song that their year is over, and they'll have to wait to have another chance at glory until next summer.

Because the program is very small, it can feel isolated from Siena at times. On the program you study in a separate building and on a separate schedule from the University of Siena, so if you're not an outspoken person, willing to introduce yourself to strangers (I was), then it can be a bit difficult to meet and connect with the local students. The program provides language tandems and community service opportunities to help bridge this gap, but I think if they advertised more local events where you could meet people naturally, it would facilitate meeting locals.

Maria
Ithaca, New York
Ithaca College

Semester in Siena

Walking to class on cobblestone in a town that is rich in history is something I'll always cherish. Siena was my home for over three months and even though it was an adjustment in the beginning, I met people and saw places that I wouldn't trade for anything. If you study in Siena, you have to go to the cafe in Piazza Del Campo for great espresso. The best part about eating in Siena (aside from the delicious cuisine itself) is that the workers will remember your face and who you are for the next time you go in.

I think I would change the orientation process. Our orientation was two weeks long and one week would have been plenty.

Jess
Holbrook, NY
Lehigh University

Experiencing Siena

Initially, I was a little worried about choosing a program in a smaller city but I couldn't have made a better decision. This city became a second home to me and transformed my life. I was really able to get to know the city and become familiar with its traditions and history. I was also able to dramatically improve my Italian and immerse myself in the culture. From my amazing host family, to the wonderful professors and the people in my program, everything was absolutely perfect!

Nothing!

Nick
Colby College

Siena in the Fall

Going to Siena was the best decision I've made since I started college. The people and the program were amazing. When dealing with the professors and the program I felt like I was talking with my friends and not my superiors. Siena is small as far as abroad destinations go but every day I felt like I stumbled on a new statue or restaurant that made my day. Of all the things I did in Europe, hanging out in the Piazza del Campo, Siena's center, at night was the thing I'll remember most. People think Siena is a city you can see in a day. I don't even think a semester was enough time.

A little less class time. But I'm being greedy. I traveled whenever I wanted and saw all of Europe I wanted to.

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to