Study Abroad in Rabat, Morocco at Middlebury School

The Middlebury School in Morocco is designed for students with high intermediate proficiency in Arabic, who adhere to the Middlebury Language Pledge while studying abroad. By promising to speak only Arabic while in Rabat, students have the best chance of acquiring fluency and actively engaging in the local environment. All coursework is conducted in the Arabic, and students take their courses in a variety of subjects, from advanced Arabic classes including Moroccan Colloquial Arabic to electives in North African Studies.

The program is based at Mohammed V University, which was founded in 1957 as the first modern university in Morocco. As a city which has hosted a mix of Berber, Arab, African, and European peoples for thousands of years, Rabat offers an excellent environment for cross-cultural exchange.

• All course work is conducted entirely in Arabic
  • Students adhere to the Middlebury College Language Pledge
  • Housing with host families
  • Internships for full-year students in their second semester
  • Co-curricular excursions and activities

Abdel

Great opportunity to immerse yourself in a beautiful North African country

I studied in Morocco for two semesters. It was a wonderful experience. Morocco is a beautiful country where everything is relatively cheap, so there are a lot of opportunities for travel, eating out on a regular basis is doable and the food is great, and you'll meet a lot of interesting and welcoming people. The program itself offers a unique opportunity to study both Standard Arabic and Moroccan Arabic in a setting where you later have the chance to put those skills to use. The people that work in the program are always accessible and more than willing to help, and in my experience do their best to make everyone feel at home.

With time things will only get better.
Aaron

Unique program for ambitious, gifted students

I have completed three language programs with Middlebury college, two summer intensives in California and the study abroad program in Rabat, Morocco. The distinguishing component is the Language Pledge, a strictly (but kindly) enforced policy which forbids use of any language other than the target language. Without a doubt, leaving your native tounge behind is the best and fastest way to learn any language, and Middlebury provides the structure and support to do just that over the course of a semester or a year. While I opted to move to a village in the Atlas Mountains in order to conduct research, but there is no way I could have do e that without the invaluable instruction I received at Middlebury. I couldn't recommend the program enough if your main goal is language learning. That said it is very challenging, so if your goal is to hangout on the beach in Morocco you will be disappointed. But if you would like to return with excellent Arabic skills, this is the program for you!

The facilities at University Muhammed V are lacking a bit, but I hear quite a few improvements since I was there.
Lorenzo

Great program, great experience

I was in Morocco for the entire academic year and it was run very well, especially since it was only the first year of the program. The coordinator and director of the program make sure that the host families and apartments are in line, and academics are very well handled, as they are rigorous and the professors chosen are capable of explaining material in Arabic to non native speakers. The director and coordinator are very responsive to students' needs and are very personable; I did not feel alone because of them. The program was not perfect, as sometimes there were some scheduling issues with tests and some issues with some professors, but considering that it was the first year of the program it was very well run.

Changing professors and scheduling tests and research papers, although since I went the program has already improved on these aspects
Rose

A growing program for students serious about Arabic

I studied in Rabat one semester after the program started in Fall, 2017 and was beyond impressed by how well-run and organized the program was. The two program directors make themselves very accessible: they're fun, attentive, and very serious about what they do. The program is full immersion, meaning all your classes are in Arabic. Despite misunderstandings with one of my professors, I felt culturally and linguistically comfortable in my classes, all of which I took with other Americans.

One major misconception about studying in Morocco is that learning Darija is impossible and ultimately useless if you'd like to end up in the Middle East. I do consider Darija challenging, but you can get around Morocco easily with MSA and, in the end, this experience is only one year (or semester) of your Arabic-learning adventure out of maybe 10 if your goal is to become fluent.

I loved my host family and still talk to them often. Hospitality is very important in Morocco, and my host family made an effort to include me in their parties and group outings while still giving me space. Not everyone felt the same--it's kind of a matter of luck--but you can talk to the program directors if you feel that you and your host family aren't a great match.

I really enjoyed living in Rabat. It's a small, safe city that has a growing art and youth culture (still small), and scenic, un-touristy neighborhoods. Traveling in Morocco is super easy and cheap--a train ticket to Marrakesh costs $12 and the trip takes three hours. Pretty beach towns are only about an hour away. Overall, I really enjoyed my experience and would recommend the program to anyone looking to improve their Arabic.

A female mentor would have been a helpful resource since both the directors are male. I also would have appreciated more opportunities to meet Moroccan students; our only connection to the university was through the language partner program. Some of the teachers need training in how to teach non-native Arabic speakers.

About Middlebury C.V. Starr Schools Abroad

The Middlebury C.V. Starr Schools Abroad feature 38 sites in 17 countries and are characterized by a focus on integration with the host culture, both linguistically and socially. In addition to taking academically rigorous courses, students are able...