View Other Details
Examine independence movements in Spain and Scotland and explore the future of the nation state and regional autonomy in Europe and beyond.
Here, you’ll begin your examination of cultural manifestations of tensions between nation states, the EU, and national minorities. You’ll look at discontent embedded in cultural and aesthetic expressions such as art, cinema, literature, or sports and consider what they add to the national discourse.
- Live in Bilbao, one of the most beautiful cities in Spain, with unique culture, architecture, arts, and cuisine.
- Travel to Barcelona and Girona, the French Basque Region, and Scotland on excursions.
- Meet with politicians, policy makers, and activists to get an inside perspective on issues related to independence movements.
- Study Spanish at the University of Deusto’s International Spanish Center.
- Examine current human rights issues in Spain and Europe.
SIT Robert Kantor Memorial Scholarship
Each year one student will be granted $10,000 in scholarship aid to study abroad with a SIT program. Funded by individual donors and foundations, the requirements are tight: seeking first-generation college students who've never traveled abroad before, currently attend an HBCU, and demonstrate strong financial need.