Regional Studies in French in Rabat, Morocco

This program has been paused and is currently not being offered. View more programs from AMIDEAST Education Abroad Programs.

Bienvenue au Maroc! Study in Rabat, Morocco’s bustling capital in which Arab, European, indigenous Amazigh, and sub-Saharan African influences intersect to create a cultural dynamic unlike any other.

The AMIDEAST Education Abroad Regional Studies in French program offers a unique study abroad opportunity for intermediate-advanced students of the French language. The diverse array of courses are taught in French (with the exception of Arabic courses). Colloquial Moroccan Arabic is required, and blended Modern Standard and colloquial Arabic is available as an optional course. Homestays with local French-speaking Moroccan families grant students an intimate look at the local culture as they hone their language skills in a distinctly non-European Francophone environment. Students also have the opportunity to take a Community-Based Learning course allowing students to work directly with local organizations. The program also includes exciting organized excursions around Morocco.

• Comprehensive in-country orientation with survival Moroccan Arabic component
  • Immersive French-language opportunity in a non-European Francophone country
  • Service-learning option with local French-speaking organization in Rabat
  • Modern Standard Arabic course option. Course selections in political science, religion, sociology, women's studies, and history.
  • Students benefit from small class sizes and instruction by French-speaking professors from local Moroccan universities.

Fulton

Amazing and unique way to study French

Going Morocco with AMIDEAST is an amazing option for anyone looking to learn French outside of Europe. My courses were challenging and interesting, and we went on many field trips to French NGO's. Not only that, but my French speaking host family was a wonderful group of people and I'm still in contact with them. I was worried at first about not speaking Arabic, but in Rabat, French is spoken by everyone, and I was quickly put at ease. Plus, since many of American the students on the program do speak Arabic, my friends could help me out. The amazing help and support I received from AMIDEAST staff was crucial as well! If my language skills were ever put to the test (for planning trips, bartering, etc.), the staff was immediately eager to help. Doha, who runs the abroad program in Rabat, will meet you anywhere at any time. She will pick up her phone 24/7 just to chat, or in case you have an emergency, she'll come to help you whether it's 4pm or 2am. Same goes for the rest of the staff. It really put me at ease to know I had that kind of support. Plus my French skills greatly improved and I made amazing friends for life.