The Alliance: Alumni Network

The Alliance: Alumni Network

The Alliance for Global Education is a division of IFSA Butler and has been in operation since 2007. Since then, they have sent 2,000+ undergrads to China and India from 300 US colleges and universities.

Alumni of programs no longer in session are encouraged to leave a review of their past experience with The Alliance. To view alumni reviews, click on the "Reviews" tab below. For more information about The Alliance and for a current list of all available programs, check out The Alliance's website by clicking on "Visit Site" above. Also be sure to scope out their current listings on Go Overseas!

North America

Kaily
Hamilton College

Everything is for your benefit

Everything that I did abroad was either suggested by the program director and the assistant director or stemmed from their suggestions. They really have your best interests in mind and want you to have the best experience. They are the best resource for learning what fun activities can be had.

I loved shopping and haggling and walking around the city trying to find new places to eat and explore. I loved the food and although I had my favorites I always tried to find new cuisines.

Hui Min Jie is honestly my favorite place in Xi'an. The food is great, the people are friendly and it's a great place to learn to haggle and practice speaking.

We stayed in Beijing for three days at the beginning of the trip. Although it was probably convenient to have everyone convene there I thought that it was an unnecessary portion of the trip that delayed my arrival to Xi'an.

Justine
Philadelphia, PA
Temple University

Xi'an Study Abroad

The best thing about the Xi'an study abroad was the fact that they pair you up with a Chinese roommate, forcing you to practice your Chinese. The hardest part was that many of these Chinese students were very bright and therefore already spoke English fairly well. Because of this it takes self-control to make sure you don't "cheat" and speak English with these students. It's difficult, but The Alliance program promotes it strongly and encourages students to interact together so that you learn as much as possible. The Alliance program also has incrediable Chinese teachers. I've never been worked so hard in my life! Every day there was a quiz, then a review of the chapter with questions in Chinese and a in depth discussion.

The Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University (IFSA-Butler) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1988. Our primary goal is to provide quality study abroad opportunities, plus academic and personal support services, for qualified North American undergraduates seeking to earn academic credit through study abroad.

IFSA-Butler