This program is no longer offered. View more programs from ISA (International Studies Abroad).
ISA Alumni Network

ISA Alumni Network

Whether it's your first time abroad or you're a seasoned expat, ISA aims to provide quality study abroad programs spanning the globe for students all over the world. As one of the largest study abroad providers on the market, the ISA alumni network page is dedicated to programs that have come and gone, but still hold a special place in the hearts of their participants.

Alumni of programs no longer in session are encouraged to leave a review of their past experience with ISA. To view alumni reviews, click on the "Ratings and Reviews" tab below. For more information about ISA and for a current list of all available programs, check out the ISA website or the fabulous ISA profile on Go Overseas!

J-Term
Maymester
Winter
Year Round

Eduardo
Laredo, Texas
Texas A&M International University

Summer at Tsinghua

When I first decided that I wanted to study abroad, I was not sure of where I might want to go. My choices were France, Italy, and China. My goal was to learn a 3rd language, as I already speak English and Spanish. Ultimately, I took a chance and went with China because visiting the great wall was always a dream of mine. This summer language program in Beijing was not only packed with intense language learning, but also with what seemed like never ending options of what to do after class. Beijing is a huge and vibrant city full of culture, and history. I had no previous travel experience, and I did not know how to speak any Mandarin. I was amazed at the quality of the university to which we were given access to. Tsinghua University is a top university not only in China, but in the world. Every time people would ask me where I studied, they all reacted with amazement. Unfortunately, with a popular university there also comes some negatives. We were not allowed to stay on campus due to lack of space, and so had to stay at a hotel for the duration of the program. Studying in Beijing widened my view of the world, and left me with a thirst for travel.

Going back to the ISA website I found that this program is not currently available. I hope this program can be reinstated so that others can benefit from the opportunity of studying in Beijing and Tsinghua. With that in mind, if the issue of dormitory space could be resolved, the program would be even better.

Jacob
Salt Lake City, Utah
Westminster College

I love Chengdu

If you are at all interested in China, I highly recommend Chengdu. Everything about the program was great, the location, university, classes, and social environment were all ideal for having a good international experiences. The University is very large and has tons of international students from all around the world as well as plenty of locals who are eager to make friends. The classes were intimate and the English taught classes were informative and fun. The class structure was surprisingly similar to college classes in the United States, perhaps just a bit less rigorous than at my school in the U.S. Just show up, take notes, do the homework, and some studying for the test and everything should go great. I felt as though it were very easy to manage a full semester worth of credits while still exploring everything China had to offer. Which is great, because Chengdu is an amazing city and Sichuan University is in a great location downtown. There are lots of good music venues, clubs, and bars that are all within walking distance of the school. With all the different international and local friends you will make its hard to not have something to do on the weekends. ISA takes pretty good care to get adjusted and the resident staff can help you take care of anything you might need. The program also includes a variety of excursions which were some of my biggest highlights from the trip.

I wouldn't have minded an excursion that took us out of Sichuan Province. Chengdu is amazing and exploring Sichuan was really fun but I feel like China had more things to offer than I could experience in 4 months.

Casey
Houghton, Michigan
Michigan Technological University

Semester in Santo Domingo

The DR is one of the chillest, most relaxing places in the world, and Santo Domingo is no exception. My four months there were the best of my life. I loved my homestay situation! My host mom was great. She was a great cook, and a majority of the other students in my group were either in the same apartment complex as me, or within a block of me. We were also very close to the colonial city, which is the place in Santo Domingo to go for entertainment. The university was good. Classes were pretty easy, and there are a lot of students who speak English, so if your Spanish isn't great, don't be turned away! There were a few students in my group who knew no Spanish going in, and by the end they could understand conversations just about as well as me, and I completed my minor in Spanish while I was there. I'm just gonna let you know about a few of the things that surprised me or that I didn't see coming. One is that Santo Domingo is a really populous city, but it's not a big city. Like, there aren't big buildings with bright lights and all that jazz, but it's still a great place with a ton to do. Also, even though SD is right on the coast, the nearest swimable beach is still about an hr guagua ride away, which is only like 2 bucks. My group and I ended up going every other weekend. The beaches are beautiful. My walk to campus was about 20-25 minutes, but keep in mind the temps will be around 90 and the humidity is always high. Also, be prepared for street harassment if you're a woman. Catcalling, whistling, and staring at women is all very normal in the DR, especially if you're alone or with other girls. You'll get used to it though. It's only dangerous if you're alone at night. How are you with mosquitoes? All the girls in my group were constantly being eaten alive. I don't think I was bit the whole time I was there, though. I hope this helps! Let me know about any questions that maybe I didn't answer for you!

The ISA office isn't located on campus. It was about a 15 minute walk out of the way.

Emily
Alabama
Auburn University

ISA Staff is the BEST

Honestly, one of the best and most impressive parts of my study abroad experience with International Studies Abroad was the staff that was there to help me. I don't know what I would have done without them! They helped me with trains, planes, money, hostels, events, and so much more. They even spent hours helping me plan a trip with my boyfriend after the program!

Going to San Sebastian instead of Santander for our beach excursion.

Abigail
Mississippi
Queen's University Belfast

My Time in Belfast

The Spring semester I spent in Belfast was one of the best experiences of my life. The other students I lived with in the dorm varied from locals to a guy from Turkey, and we all became the best of friends. Also, the ISA's on-site staff was available anytime I needed, took us on amazing outings and trips. I would highly recommend this program to anyone going abroad.

J
Virginia
Virginia Military Institute

James Clark ELAP Experiences

My ISA-ELAP experiences were great. Each day, I went into work and enjoyed learning what went on in the employees daily lives. It was great to interact with them through my language skills and talk to them about how it differs in America. Overall it was a great experience.

Mina
Lansing, Michigan

My Thoughts

Some difficulties I encountered included my own fears of teaching, and my age. I had a certain thought process which made me think that, because I am not fluent in Korean, or because I have never taught before, I would not be able to communicate to the students as well as I'd like. Teaching English, for me, was a bit difficult. It is nothing like teaching dance, you actually have to teach someone how to speak, and you have to explain to them why certain things are said the way they are said.

An example of this is when one of my students asked me what YOLO means. Though it is slang, I still felt the need to explain it. In Korea, as I heard, there is no such expression in slang. It is just used as a phrase when you talk about deep things such as "It has always been my dream to be a dancer, well I may as well try. You only live once." It is not used as an acronym in every day life. Another example was when a student asked me what "Lates" means. {Lates as in "see you later," or "later" in the "goodbye" or "see you soon" sense.} One of his other teachers dismissed the class and said "lates" to indicate that they would see each other soon. It was not as difficult to explain as YOLO, because YOLO was both an acronym and used for simple things. "Lates" was just a shortened version of "see you later/later."

My age was also of worry to me because most of my students were older than me by a few years. I had a few students which were my age and maybe one or two that were younger. I feared my age because I knew that in Korea even a year can make a difference within a relationship. So I kept quiet about my age. My students behaved in a respectable manner as expected in a proper student/teacher relationship, until a student came across my passport. Word circulated between classes and the students behaved a bit differently. They acted cutesy and childlike. They did not in anyway misbehave nor did they talk in a rude sense they just acted almost childlike. But it made things a little simpler and I grew closer to them quicker. So I am actually more thankful that this happened.

Sadly, I cannot choose one thing. I have two things that I'd change. The first thing that didn't appeal to me was the partner teaching that I experienced. I wish I could have taught on my own. Teaching with a partner was not my favorite thing simply because my partner and I did not get along too well. There was a time where she took a marker and drew on my face with it, and another time where she kicked me in my thigh. These situations all happened with the students in the room with us. I was humiliated and disrespected all at once. The other thing was the shortness of students. I only had between 3 and eight students per class. I wish the classes would have been bigger. However, now that I re-read this paragraph, I realize these are not ISA things, these were the university's choices. Still, I felt the need to voice that for the future students, and for the mere fact that ISA may have a way of approaching Konkuk about this and they may have a potential influence on Konkuk to change the program slightly. The only thing I would change about ISA is the cost. The previous year when I wanted to apply the cost was about 1,600USD, but this summer it was almost 2,600USD which was a little hard to pay along with the plane ticket. But if I had to do it over, I would because it is very very worth it.

Zoey
Ellensburg, Washington
Central Washington University

How China Changed My Life

China was my first foray into international life, and I couldn't have picked a better country or study abroad program. Globalinks made sure that my day-to-day experience was exactly what I wanted. My mornings consisted of challenging classes catered to my interests, and my afternoons and evenings exploring the city and even going on excursions with both students from my program and other international students. I was able to really immerse myself in Chinese culture, both traditional and modern, and had numerous opportunities to practice the language. I don't even know where to begin with the food...I know a lot of students have that as a concern when thinking about studying abroad. They tend to wonder "what will I eat?" But if I can only have one response to that, it would be, "what WON'T you eat?!" I still crave Chinese street food to this day.

I wish there had been a little bit more overseas staff support. The person that was supposed to be in charge of helping us out and taking us on excursions in the city we lived in was MIA most of the time. Other than that, I don't really have any complaints.

Alisa
Lincoln, NE
University of Nebraska- Lincoln

Best Decision of My Life!

I can not explain how enormously India has influenced my life in a small 'review bubble'. ISA did a great job with my pre-departure orientations. They have AMAZING support in America and in India. I spent 4.5 months in beautiful India and I am in complete love with the country. I met the most amazing friends I have ever had in Hyderabad- we still talk daily, even a year later! India is a curious place... it is dirty, crowded, busy, loud, hot, etc. but at the same time, it is completely magical... I have never felt so at peace in my life. During the week, I would go to school, go into the city with friends, hang out, play with my adopted street dog, and do homework. During weekends, we would all travel together around the country. The relaxed class structure allowed us to do this easily. ISA also made their trips extremely easy and stress free, but it was still fun to explore on our own. Luckily, our on-site advisor would help us with anything we needed (like setting up train tickets, sharing advice as to where to go, etc.) I have never known more beautiful people then I did in India. I have never seen a more beautiful place then I did in India (Munnar, to be exact). There are numerous opportunities to volunteer too! NGO's are plentiful and easy to sign up for. I taught at a migrant school down the street from my hostel and, even now, I think of my students every day. It was such an amazing experience. I can't wait to go back!

Safety is definitely an issue in India, as it is in every other country, but sometimes we didn't even feel safe in our hostel (and it was considered the most secure on campus!)

lfreud
Foley, MN
University of Wollongong

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This experience was absolutely fabulous for me and all of the other American friends that I met in Wollongong! I stayed in a housing unit called "Keiraview". At first I didn't know if I would like where I was living because it wasn't as nice as some of the other places to live, but it turns out that it was the best place I could have asked for! Each individual has their own room and bathroom in Keiraview and you share a kitchen with 7 others on your floor. It was great having my own room and bathroom because all I had to worry about was my own mess and I didn't have to wait to use the bathroom! I met so many wonderful people living in Keiraview because they make sure that many activities are planned for meeting and visiting with other individuals! A few other nice things about living in Keiraview were that it was located within walking distance from all of the shopping, dance clubs and beaches! It also has a uni bus that stops directly outside of Keiraview, which is not true for most of the other living units. I loved every aspect of my stay in Wollongong! Definitely a fantastic choice!

The unfortunate part about going to the University of Wollongong was the fact that it is a very prestigious school and the classes can be very difficult if you end up with the wrong professors, which for a number of my classes I did. Make sure you don't take too many difficult classes at once because getting use to the schooling in Australia, along with the tough classes, makes the experience that much worse!

ktmt
Turnersville, NJ
Richard Stockton College of New Jersey

Best 6 months of my life!

Studying abroad at Lancaster University was phenomenal. Not a day goes by where I do not think back on my time there. The area is beautiful and conveniently located for travel throughout the UK. I was able to hop on a train and be in Scotland in about 2 hours or London in 3. The classes were really fascinating. A lot of the classes are centered around independent learning, so you need to be motivated and diligent.

One of the only complaints I had was that most of the coursework came during the last weeks of the semester. So it felt a bit crammed. Other than that, I don't have complaints.

CRick
Nowra, NSW, Australia
University of Wollongong

Wollongong and Shoalhaven Campuses

Wollongong is a metropolitan town, close to Sydney and beautiful Jervis Bay, Berry and Gerroa/Gerringong. As I am based at the Shoalhaven campus in Nowra, I only spend 1 day a week at the Wollongong campus. The Shoalhaven campus is small but offers free parking and kangaroos! The Wollongong campus has excellent amenities (food, UniBar, sporting facilities) and a wide range of clubs/societies to join. There are many resources for International students, including planned outings and adventures to take part in to help you make friends and explore Australia. The town itself is easy to navigate with many ethnic restaurants, night clubs and of course North Gong Beach.

ptcruiser
Massachusetts

Study Abroad in Swansea, Wales!

I had the best experience of my life in Swansea! The staff at GlobalLinks and Swansea's study abroad centre helped to make students at home right away!

I lived in Hendrefoelan Student Village in a house with 9 other students (2 from US, 4 from Wales, 3 from England), which was only a short bus ride or about a 1.5 walk from the main campus. The orientation program and field trips were a great chance to meet the other American students before classes started and the GlobalLinks program in Manchester was also very informative and a lot of fun!

I had an amazing experience overall and thoroughly enjoyed meeting new people, traveling, experiencing the epic night life on Wind Street (Yates, Odyssey, Oceana), and taking classes across the street from the beach! I definitely recommend living in the student village and London is only 3 hours away by train. If you want to travel, I recommend getting a Young Person's railcard and also to book train tickets way in advance. Finally, definitely explore the Gower Peninsula. Buses leave from the Quadrant and from the bus stop at the bottom of the student village and go all the way to Rhossili. Caswell Bay, Three Cliffs Bay, Oxwich Beach, and Rhossili were my favorites. There is a wicked long break in April so plan ahead to do lots of traveling then!

Thamus
Oslo, Norway

The experience of a lifetime

Being able to live with Japanese host families, and see so many different places in Japan during such a short period of time is amazing.
I got to speak a lot of Japanese, learn so much about the culture, eat amazing home cooked meals every day from my host families and share and compare my experiences with people from all over the world.
I'd definitely recommend this program for anyone who's interested in learning more about Japan and make friends from all over the world.

I have friends from Uzbekistan now. I never thought that would happen.

Mertz028
Duluth, Minnesota
University of Minnesota

Perfect

The University of Waikato is an extremely diverse school with students from all over the world. Living on campus was both convenient and played a large role in the number of friends I was able to meet. Nearly every other international student also lived on campus and we formed a large network of friends. Also, living on campus made it easy to meet kiwis that I normally would not have met. During the week I would normally go to my classes, work out at the campus gym (and take one of the many AWESOME work out classes offered), and see all of my friends every single day. Typically 1 or 2 nights a week we would go into the bars in town or take a friday off to travel. Hamilton is probably the best location on the north Island. It is close enough to Auckland (1.5 hours) that it is possible to take day trips there, only 45 minutes from Raglan which has amazing surfing and black sand beaches, and centrally located to every other destination on the North Island (no more than 5 or 6 hours drive). While Hamilton is a 45 minute plane ride or an 8 hour drive + ferry ride from the South Island, we took our 2 week fall break to go to the south island. It was AMAZING. New Zealand is the most beautiful country in the world and truly impossible to describe. You have to see it with your own eyes.

JPStull
Hamden, CT

The greatest 4 months of my 21years

Unequivocally the greatest experience. EuroLearn provided a 4 day orientation in London that proved boring and valuable. After that there was a three week orientation at Swansea that was only international students. That was cool getting to know the Americans before everybody got there. I still see some of them time to time. Swansea has epic nightlife on Wind Street and the Kingsway. Three hour train from London, then a 90min flight to almost anywhere in Europe. Get the young person's rail card for sure, it pays for itself quickly. Be sure to check out the Welsh National Museums as well as the local ones. They are a great foundation to construction your own definition of "welshness", which is something that escapes most people...even the Welsh!

daniel
Madison, Mississippi
University of Alabama- Birmingham

Wollongong has everything you need

The University of Wollongong is in an ideal location no matter what you do for fun. For those that like to surf, Wollongong has some of the best beaches in Australia located just minutes away from most of the housing communities. Like to hike/climb/explore? The city is located between the ocean and the mountains with tons of trails to hike and rock climbing routes. The city's public transportation is very efficient and has a free bus that runs until 10 on weekdays and 8 on weekends that gets you to uni and downtown. The nightlife is great with tons of clubs and pubs depending on what you prefer and the dorms provide safe transportation to and from these venues. You can also get to Sydney easily if you like the large city scene and going out at night is not hard because you can take the train back as late as 4am. The school system is also one of the top in the world and the staff is extremely helpful for internationals and make sure you understand how things may be different than you are used to. The only down part to my experience was the first 2 weeks I was here(end of July) it rained almost every day and was cold but the locals said it was the worst winter they've ever had. Since then it has been paradise! Definitely consider UOW if you want to get away from the large cities like Sydney but still want to have all the activities conveniently close.

Karen
Long Beach, California

Unforgettable

My summer in Beppu was an unforgettable experience. The program is only 8 weeks long, but it was more than enough time to learn the beautiful language, befriend students and locals, and experience a new culture.

The program emphasizes intensive Japanese language classes with twelve 95 minute class sessions each week. Although this sounds daunting, it was actually quite feasible. Class levels are split into four groups depending on your language proficiency, and the individual class sizes are small enough that the teachers can assess your progress better. The teachers themselves are amazing. We spent as much time laughing as we did learning.

Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU) is unique because it is composed of so many international students. Sometimes it may seem difficult to practice the language skills you are learning, but the program does assign you an APU buddy to provide support and a friend with whom you can practice. There are also your dorm-mates! We lived in the dorm buildings, which made it very convenient to get to classes. If you hang around the lounge, there's always someone new to meet.

And as with any university, you're more guaranteed to make friends when you become involved in the student organizations, or 'circles.' Don't be afraid to check them out in the beginning!

It is also possible to practice Japanese within downtown Beppu as you shop or explore the night scene. The locals are quite accustomed to foreigners thanks to the university, and everyone I met was welcoming and so polite even when I accidentally annihilated their language. Going downtown takes about 30-40 minutes by bus, and trips can become expensive. Buy the triple tickets to save money!

Most of my language skills were put to practice just to eat though. Food can be purchased at the university cafeteria, where you can select from Japanese, Western, or the current week's ethnic selection; the co-op, which functions like a convenience store; nearby supermarkets if you'd prefer cooking your own meals (there are kitchens in the dorms); and of course, restaurants. Japanese ramen- not the instant you survive on in college- is delicious and addicting. And cheap!

Aside from language study, the program will provide cultural experiences as well. We had a weekend trip in Nagasaki, learned about calligraphy and the tea ceremony, and spent a weekend in the rural community with a host family. I enjoyed every minute of these activities. Your appreciation of the people, their history, and their lively culture grows exponentially each time.

If I could do anything differently, it would have been to check the weather conditions. The program pamphlet will warn you that June is the rainy season, and it wasn't kidding. Bring a sturdy umbrella! And remember that this is island weather: it will be hot and humid. Pack accordingly!

In the end, I wish I had more than 8 weeks. I would go back in a heartbeat.

hrichards
San Luis Obispo

Program Desription Not Accurate

Overall, I had a great time in Chengdu! I love the city and the people I met during the program really made the trip amazing. I would go back to China in a heartbeat, maybe a few different cities, but I can see myself spending more time learning the language possibly working there.

Best parts about this program:
The friends I made (cheesy I know, but they are amazing people).
The food! Oh my god, Sichuan food and Chinese food in general is the greatest in the world, and I am severely craving ShanDong jian bing!
Lui Ming. I hope he continues to teach the program in further years. He was the professor for some of the cultural classes, and he was the most honest and honorable professor.
Night life. The campus is ridiculously close to bar street, and little bar street so it makes the weekends super fun - definitely stop and get street skewers and play with a monkey on your way back.
Our Mandarin professor. Honestly dont know her name, we had a rough start, but by the end of the program that class was my favorite!
Cost of living. You can live like a king in China for really cheap! Im pretty sure on the of guys that went actually only spent like $400 while he was over there. (I may have broken the bank a little bit more haha)
The 'Tibetan' village trip. Absolutely a great time!

Worst parts about this program:
Some of the random lectures, i.e. environmental issues, international business. These were long, circular lectures. Most of us walked away from these wondering why we sat through it. Most had NOTHING to do with China.
Dawn, the university rep. She wasnt the nicest person in the world and didnt always tell us everything. She also might have copped an attitude with us a few times.
The misleading information given to us when we signed up. You dont stay in a university dorm, you stay in a hotel on campus. You dont go to a Tibetan village, you go to a BaiMa village, etc.
The weather. Okay this isnt really the worst thing about the program, but I definitely wasnt the most prepared for Chengdu weather. It rained A LOT, and it was super humid. I am not used to humidity at all so it took quite a while to get used to.

About the Tibetan village trip: This was one of the best nights I had during the entire trip. Sucked that we spent something like 11 hours getting there (7 hours driving, then the rest was lunch and stops because there was construction cramping our style and causing rock slides in the road) but only 14 hours, including sleep time, at the actual village. We danced with locals and had a goat roast and overall it was a great time. Unfortunately, we did not go to a Tibetan village. We went to a BaiMa village. They are not Tibetan. I don't know why AsiaLearn advertises it as Tibetan, and I don't know why the university representative led us to believe they were Tibetan until so close to the actual trip. Sometimes they can be grouped with ethnic Tibetans because they are a minority group but they do not even practice Tibetan Buddhism, but rather BaiMa. A person in my group even asked our Tibetan studies professor if they were Tibetan and he just said, "They don't think so."

I think everyone that did this summer program was let down. We felt a lot of the activities were falsely advertised. A couple of quick examples: One weekend the University representative explained the weekend would include a trip to the Leshan Giant Buddha, then an hour drive to Mount Emei, where we would stay on the mountain in a monastery and wake up the next day at 4am to watch monks chanting. After we would continue up the mountain to the giat golden Buddha. Unfortunately, we were misled. We stayed in Emei Shan City, which is not on the mountain at all, we stayed at a local hotel then walked to the monastery at 4am, where we all felt very intrusive walking around while the monks prepared the chant. We stayed for only about 20 min...

I dont want to discourage anyone from doing this, I just want them to know that the program was a little different than what we were led to believe. I had a great time. The city is a lot of fun and Chinese are really welcoming of Americans. Chinese students always want to hang out and practice their English and older people get a kick out of it if you arent Chinese. As far as safety goes, China is safest country I have been to. Cab drivers are extremely honest, and actually everyone is extremely honest when it comes to money. That doesnt mean people wont try and over charge you for a souvenir, but it does mean they will always give you your change. At night, I felt just as safe as during the daylight.

China is an amazing country that is rich in history and culture. It is beautiful in its own way and I would love to go back and travel more. Especially since that means I can eat more of my favorite foods like Beijing duck.

HappyMemories
Morgantown, WV
University of Chicago

What a Whirlwind of Experiences!

My only complaints would have to be the bug bites are super itchy (be sure to have calamine lotion!), and the fact that there are 2 dryers on a floor and they don't work well. That's easily solve if you bring hangers and just hang things around your room. The R.A.s are very friendly and helpful. I recommend trying to do homework in the lobby or lounge area of your floor where you can work in groups, get things done faster, meet a lot of great people, and hang out with said individuals. It's a great way to make friends!

Class moves fast, but the professors aren't dictators. They're actually really nice, and they're often not too much older than the class, so they can relate to their students well. We have a great time in class and their teaching techniques really make it enjoyable. Cafeteria food is awesome, especially the Ethnic Food line! Joining a circle is another great way to make friends, stay active, and practicing your speaking/listening skills (one of my favorites was salsa circle :D)

zk97
Minneapolis, Minnesota
University of Minnesota

An amazing experience from beginning to end

What an amazing experience! It was especially convenient that the program was only 8 weeks during the summer, because if it had been longer I don't know if I would of had the chance to go abroad. I that with a grain of salt however, as I will truly miss all of the people I met through the program.

While I don't feel the program was incredibly difficult, I still learned a lot, and because I wasn't kept busy with homework 24/7 I had many opportunities to travel, meet new people, and truly experience life in Japan.

I lived on campus which was nice for class, but made it tough to get into the city of Beppu. There is a direct bus which is timely, but it got to be a little expensive. Also if you go during June, don't forget an umbrella. They don't call it the rainy season for nothin'.

Overall I had an amazing experience, and I recommend this program for anyone of any language ability to try this program.

Jessica
New York, NY
Mathematics

Eye-opening Experience!

Attending the Challenge New Zealand course was what I hoped would be a life-changing experience, and it certainly was. My health had gone downhill and I wasn't really sure where I was going in life and going to New Zealand changed all of that. As a group, we climbed to the top of Mount Tongariro, and that was the highlight of the trip for me. It pushed my body to limits I had no idea even existed (I thought for sure, because of my health problems, that my body was going to crumble and I was never going to make it to the top). I learned so much about myself and how much I was truly capable of doing and since then I have been accepted to an amazing school, moved into my own apartment and am realizing how much life has to offer. Anyone, of any age, could most definitely benefit from this program. New Zealand is a gorgeous country full of learning experiences.

Anna
Marquette, MI

Kiwis Love Adventure

This trip was a life changing experience for me. It was jam packed with adventure which also challenged us both physically and mental. Both of the instructors were a blast. I would highly recommend this course for people who love adventure.

mmidgett
Manteo, North Carolina
Northern Arizona University

Ultimate Australian Experience

I've been home for over a month now and I still think about my Australian experience every day. The location--Cairns in Tropical North Queensland--is amazing and has everything you could possibly want: pristine beaches, excellent mountain hiking, a lively night life, a relaxed atmosphere and of course, the Great Barrier Reef. We were housed at the student lodge across the street from the university and the students there welcomed the five of us Australearn students and included us in all of their activities, taking us out, showing us around town, inviting us to their beach bon fires. I made more friends, and close ones at that, than I ever thought possible in 3 weeks. The class, though not quite what I was expecting academically, was really interesting and I learned a lot about community development on our 4 day camping trip into the bush; we visited an aboriginal community as well as Cooktown, the first non-indigenous settlement in Australia. It definitely brought me closer to the other students in the class, as well as to the other four Australearn students. In addition to the field trip, we also had the opportunity of visiting a sea turtle rehabilitation center. If I had to pick the one best thing about this program, it's that it gives you so many opportunities that a normal tourist would never have.

Katie
Long Island, New York
Adelphi University

Once in a Lifetime

I arrived in the UK with two suitcases, enough for a cab to my residence and apprehension for the semester to come. Once finished unpacking, I scrambled together all the courage I had and knocked on someone's door; it was the best decision I could have made. Instantly the people in my hall took me around, showed me the ropes and became a wonderful core group of friends that I would go out with, stay in with, and ultimately spend most of my experience abroad with. There was so much to do and see, and it was so easy to get to other countries in the European Union that I was able to explore and really come to see other cultures and new places.

The most difficult part of the experience though, was definitely academic. The different styles of teaching promoted a much more independent style of learning which I was definitely not accustomed to. Once I did get used to the lecture and tutorial class structure, I was still faced with a lot of outside reading and learning to accomplish what I did. The Eurolearn staff prepared us that our grades may not be as high as we generally achieve. Being very a conscientious student, my grades would have seriously shocked me had it not been for their warning and I'm so glad they gave me that warning. Though challenged greatly academically, I learned so much about my subject (mathematics) that makes me want to study further in fields of mathematics that I didn't know existed.

My study abroad experience at the University of Manchester was incredible and unforgettable. The Eurolearn staff was so helpful in preparing us for the changes in academics and social life that the transition was much smoother than I ever could have imagined. I made friends that I will keep forever, memories that I will always have to look fondly upon and an academic experience like nothing I've ever had before. I would encourage all students considering a study abroad experience to go. The experience changes your life in such a positive way. I have gained so much independence, confidence, and perspective that I am now realizing a world of opportunities that await me.

Steingraber
Wellington, New Zealand
Minnesota State University- Mankato

Learn About Yourself Internationally

I found this to be a great way to grow in many aspects of my life. It is a great way to interact with people from another country and gain valuable experience that can be applied directly into the work field.I was able to work with a variety of businessman as well as a variety of students. One of the highlights was working with the Uni Snow Games. This was an awesome event to be a part of.

Meliss4232
Denver, Colorado
Cape Verde

Sweet As!

I studied abroad with AustraLearn for a year at the University of Waikato in 2004-2005. The university was full of friendy students and staff and the local to international student ratio gave me an outstanding chance to live and learn with local students.

I was the only U.S. student in my housing (1 American, 23 Kiwi's) so I was able to make friends quickly.

Hamilton is a great city for a semester abroad. It's location is ideal for travel, 1.5 hours south of Auckland, 1 hour from Rotorua, 45 minutes east or west to the beach... The proximity of Hamilton to all of these amazing locations made me want to travel every weekend.

AustraLearn was great when it came to setting up my program, their on-site orientation was a lot of fun and gave me a chance to meet other students before I set foot on campus. My AustraLearn advisor was friendly and always available to help me with my million questions.

I would reccommend this university and AustraLearn to anyone thinking about going to New Zealand!

As a leader in international education for over twenty-five years, ISA is dedicated to providing university level students with the opportunity to discover, learn, and enjoy a way of life other than their own. ISA offers a diverse portfolio of education abroad programs across Africa,