The Everyday City and Beyond

Cities and the lives of inhabitants are intrinsically connected: both give meaning to and form one another. As citizens and visitors of cities move through urban spaces, how are their actions and reactions molded by their encounters with the urban environment? How does the methodology of placemaking play a role in understanding the connections and tensions between people and space?

This three-week interdisciplinary course unravels the practice, theory, policies and politics of ‘placemaking,' taking Amsterdam as a site for analysis and action. Placemaking is more than a method; it is a philosophy for the development and experience of cities, combining disciplines such as sociology, environmental psychology, (micro)political science, architecture and urban design. Situating placemaking in a mixed academic context, this course focuses on topics such as public space, community, diversity and 'the right to the city'.

• international classroom

LunaticMu

Great summer experience

It's a fantastic summer program. Professors gave us interesting lectures and provided us with basic knowledge of the social policy in Amsterdam. The most amazing part is that we went to different sights to see what it was in reality. That's pretty easy for us to understand what the conception and idea professor taught in class.

I would say the program is a little bit too loose from academy perspective. Most students didn't read literature after class.
Shawna

Awesome program!

This program consisted of some of the most interesting material that would not be found in any other country.The staff was friendly, helpful, and fun to be around. We had many interesting lectures, with a large quantity of time for tours and excursions. The cultural experience you will receive from this program will not disappoint you.

rhg

Good Times

My experience with the Social Policies & Pragmatic Tolerance was great! The professors were so helpful and knowledgeable about what they were teaching. The guest speakers brought in we also informational and beneficial to my learning experience. The entire experience was great! I appreciated the staff's suggestions on other excursions we could do on our own. The food was good as well. I felt like we were treated very well, both physically and academically. I would participate in study abroad again at the drop of a hat. Thank you!

About University of Amsterdam Summer Programmes GSSS

A modern university with a rich history, the University of Amsterdam (UvA) traces its roots back to the Golden Age. Today, UvA boasts more than 30,000 students, 5,000 staff members and 250 study abroad programs including options in Bachelors and...