Placemaking: Sense, Space & Strategy

This three-week programme will explore the web of relationships between people and place. This innovative and interdisciplinary course borrows from human geography, experimental- and environmental-psychology, history, and sociology to ask important questions about the urban environments in which we live. It also addresses the right to the city, and views urban environments as contested places of interaction and change.

The course will unravel the practice, theory, policies and politics of placemaking, taking Amsterdam as a site for analysis. Placemaking is more than a method; it is a philosophy for the development and experience of cities. We extend our methods of learning beyond the classroom and take to the outdoors daily. Experiencing the city through the many different sensory lenses is at the heart of this programme, and presents exciting alternative ways to understand how people live in, respond to, and imagine their cities.

• International classroom of limited size to ensure personal interaction.
  • Enjoy Amsterdam as your living lab!
  • Join us in exploring this truely innovative and interdisciplinary way of interpreting and analysing the city!

LunaticMu

Great summer experience

It's a fantastic summer program. Professors gave us interesting lectures and provided us with basic knowledge of the social policy in Amsterdam. The most amazing part is that we went to different sights to see what it was in reality. That's pretty easy for us to understand what the conception and idea professor taught in class.

I would say the program is a little bit too loose from academy perspective. Most students didn't read literature after class.
Shawna

Awesome program!

This program consisted of some of the most interesting material that would not be found in any other country.The staff was friendly, helpful, and fun to be around. We had many interesting lectures, with a large quantity of time for tours and excursions. The cultural experience you will receive from this program will not disappoint you.

rhg

Good Times

My experience with the Social Policies & Pragmatic Tolerance was great! The professors were so helpful and knowledgeable about what they were teaching. The guest speakers brought in we also informational and beneficial to my learning experience. The entire experience was great! I appreciated the staff's suggestions on other excursions we could do on our own. The food was good as well. I felt like we were treated very well, both physically and academically. I would participate in study abroad again at the drop of a hat. Thank you!