Summer Institute on Addiction

Addiction and its accompanying health social concerns are major problems in today's world. From substance abuse to technological and sex addictions, there are often tragic consequences for individuals, families, and the societies that they belong to. But what does it take to think through these challenging interdisciplinary problems, and how do we begin to tackle them?

While addiction is not a new problem, few countries have sufficient resources allocated to address it. Further, the language and scope of addiction studies has grown in recent years. As our hyper-globalized world brings people, substances, ideas, and potential sources of addiction closer together than ever, researchers, care providers, academics and professionals need to look at addiciton studies in a new, dynamic light.

This two-week Summer Institute seeks to provide an interdisciplinary approach and lens to the study of addiction. The course will focus on a variety of topics, including policy models, prevention, and

• international classroom

Greg

A great course!

This is a fantastic program. The lecturers were excellent and covered many different topics of theoretical addiction models, policy, and treatment. We looked at local and international policy; adolescence; prevention and education; genetics and addiction; treatment via internet; future policy and trends; psychology, behavior; international research; novel treatment programs and much more.
We had great excursions to facilities around Amsterdam such as a Dutch youth prison; 'coffee' shop management; residential facilities for chronic substance users; AA meeting; drug testing
Accommodation was with student housing so it was basic but good and very inexpensive. My partner and I had an apartment for less than 30 Euros a night. It's even cheaper if you are single and share rooms.The student housing was good as you also got to mix with all the other students and go out socialising in Amsterdam together.
Our course had 17 students from 14 nations so we had a really great mix of ideas and experiences from around the world. It was a fantastic group and we all became good friends very quickly.
Amsterdam is a lovely little city and is especially great in Summer. We had beautiful weather for the entire 2 weeks. Sunny and warm everyday!
There is much to do and see in Amsterdam and all the other students are very friendly so we had a great time going out after classes finished for the day. It has been really great staying in touch via Facebook with the friends that I met during this course. This is a fantastic course and I had the best time!

Mohamad

Was I challenged academically

Studying summerschool drug and alcohol addiction really gave me new perspective of how deal with drug and alcohol addicts. My knowledge about alcohol, drug and addiction improved after I attended this course. The course provided me with the range of experiences how to deal with alcohol, drug and addiction. The course surely equiped me with thorough understanding of the complexity of social problems come up with addiction, what are contemporary theories and concepts that have been developed in the field of addiction studies, and what are the treatment strategies in dealing with it. In addition, I learned policy models and multi disciplinary approaches to solve the problem of addictions.

For the University I am currently working, as well as the Center for Psychological Services which is newly established in 2009, this will be great opportunity to upgrade my knowledge about addictions. In addition, as the university still lack of the expert who are concerned with alcohol, drug and addiction, this will fill in the scarcity of the lecturer who can teach the students with proper understanding and comprehensive approaches in dealing with these problems.

About University of Amsterdam Summer Programmes GSSS

A modern university with a rich history, the University of Amsterdam (UvA) traces its roots back to the Golden Age. Today, UvA boasts more than 30,000 students, 5,000 staff members and 250 study abroad programs including options in Bachelors and...