Summer Institute on Sexuality, Culture, & Society

The study of human sexuality involves understanding its complexity and how it represents changing interactions over time involving the self, the body, culture, and power -- and as well, how this complexity is conceptualized and organized culturally, politically and epistemologically.

During this four-week advanced programme, students will gain knowledge of sexuality as it intersects with ethnicity, nationality, class, and religion, and will become more familiar with how sexuality is conceptualized and practiced within research, programmatic, and advocacy venues.

• international classroom

Kiran

A must do

This summer institute was a great experience from academic, professional and social point of view. The composition was excellent and I got to meet very good set of people from diverse backgrounds, from academics to professionals and social workers in field of sexuality studies/ research/work. The faculty were no less. in four week period we covered in depth, diverse topics from concepts and theories to art and media to urban tours of sex districts and sexual politics. Such a diversity with depth combination is hardly covered in any usual sexuality courses where they are limited by disciplinary boundaries. But Summer school at UvA just did the unusual. The teachers were distinguished and well versed and also open to critiques and sensitive to contextual differences. I made great friends with faculty and students and hope to reap these professional connections for my professional work in future.

Apart from school Amsterdam is a great place to explore, given its openness in attitude and tolerance to sexual difference. The gay pride gave a taste of its vibrancy as much as the sex district or Dutch people themselves. AS walk through the city lets you learn so much. I enjoyed my daily doze of Frites and felafel, fresh cheeze and lots of dutch friends. I miss the WTF parties very much.

Birce

Once in a lifetime opportunity

The location, the lecturers, the people were all amazing. This was something i would never forget. My only difficulty was speaking English everyday, but I managed to handle it after a while. It was the best way to spend your summer; making friendships, staying in an amazing city, and learning the most valuable subjects by very good lecturers.

I believe the weekly topics could be different. I would like to see something related to TV or print media; since they are highly relevant for the subject of gender and sexuality.
sian

Summer Institute on Sexuality and Society

The course was extremely academically beneficial, with fantastic teachers and support staff. I felt instantly welcomed and the whole thing was very well organised.
In terms of a social experience, it scores 10/10, it gives you the opportunity to meet such an array of interesting people who you can learn an infinite amount from.
Amsterdam as a backdrop to the study is perfect, a welcoming and vibrant place to spend a summer!
I would highly recommend the programme to anyone considering it.

About University of Amsterdam Summer Programmes GSSS

A modern university with a rich history, the University of Amsterdam (UvA) traces its roots back to the Golden Age. Today, UvA boasts more than 30,000 students, 5,000 staff members and 250 study abroad programs including options in Bachelors and...