BCA Study Abroad: Dunedin, New Zealand

BCA Study Abroad: Dunedin, New Zealand

As a city with a population that is mainly comprised of students, Dunedin is truly a University city — 1 in 6 Dunedin residents are students! The city of 120,000 is perfect for nature lovers, with sandy white beaches and volcanos to penguins and seals living in the nature reserves. It’s also known for the combination of Victorian and Edwardian architecture that fills the city. With plenty to see and do, Dunedin is a natural escape for residents and visitors alike.

As a BCA student at the University of Otago you will live in the university flats. Usually three or four international students live with one or two New Zealanders. The flats range from houses right next to campus to some new townhouses a bit farther away. Each flat has individual bedrooms, shared bathroom(s) and a kitchen/common area. You will receive a monthly meal stipend to purchase groceries and cook for yourself.

Oceania » New Zealand » Dunedin
-On-Site Resident Director Support
-Official Overseas Transcript
-Academic Advising
-International Health and Evacuation Insurance
-BCA Study Abroad support services before, during, and after the program

Scholarships available-Visit the BCA Study Abroad website for more information and to apply for scholarships!
Dunedin

Nicole
Pennsylvania

Missing NZ everyday

I absolutely loved my experience being abroad. I lived in a student house and was able to live with other international students and a Kiwi student. I made friends from all over the US and also in NZ. My favorite memory is hiking Roy's Peak (3 hour uphill hike) it was so tiring and hard, but we finally made it, and it was so rewarding. It's definitely one of my biggest accomplishments. University of Otago also offers so many different classes that you can take. I ended up taking classes that gave me more insight into the social classes of New Zealand and the history of New Zealand, just so that I got a better understanding of the culture. If you love the outdoors New Zealand is the right choice. It has the most breath taking scenery.

Katie

Best 4.5 Months of My Life

Dunedin, New Zealand is the perfect place to study abroad. The culture within the country is unlike anything I've ever experienced. Everyone is so friendly and the entire country is extremely clean. If you are looking for a clean, safe, and gorgeous place to travel, then this is definitely the place for you! Classes are not extremely hard, so you have a lot of free time to travel and explore the city. I went to a new place in the country almost every weekend I was there... and still couldn't see everything I wanted to. There is so much to do and see there, you will never get bored. The landscapes are out of this world beautiful. It is amazing how you can go from the rainforest to beaches to mountains to rolling hills all in one area. In one day, I slept at the top of a mountain, walked down into the rainforest, and ended up on a beach by the end of the day. I loved every single second I was there and the only regret I have is that I did not stay for the full year. The program directer Ashley was very helpful and while she was on maternity leave, Jan was just as friendly and helpful as well! From a school aspect, there are so many things to get involved with. While there, I had many opportunities to volunteer and try new things, such as volunteering at a nearby after school programme, replanting native plants on wetlands, and joining intramural type teams for lawn bowl and volleyball. This trip was the most life-changing experience of my life. I was able to depend only on myself which allowed me to grow as a person and become much more independent than I thought was possible. I also met some of the most amazing people, both those studying abroad from all over the world and kiwis too. I highly recommend this program, you will not regret it.

Alyssa
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania

Dunedin is the BEST!

If you would have asked me freshman year if I was going to study abroad, I would have said no. Never in a thousand years did I ever think I would travel and live half way across the world for 5 months, but it was the best experience of my life! New Zealand is absolutely amazing!

BCA is a great program to study with. The resident director, Ashley, is extremely helpful and makes Dunedin feel like home from the very beginning. She took us on many excursions including a trip to the marae, Wanaka, and a sheep farm in Cromwell. BCA allowed me to experience the New Zealand culture and I wouldn't have changed anything. If you are planning to study abroad, I would highly recommend going to Dunedin with BCA!

Leanne

Dunedin

Dunedin, New Zealand.....
1. GO!!
2. Its something you will want more of
3. Everyone there is friendly and down to get out and do things
4. Otago University is beautiful
5. Adventures galore (beaches, mountains, fields, rivers all within 30 min drive)
6. Good housing

Georgianna
Buffalo, New York
Houghton College

Life Changing Experience

Not only was New Zealand the best place I have ever been to, but this program helped me feel so comfortable in a place I have never been. Ashley was my program director and from when we got off the plane to when we left, she was always checking in on us and planning excursions. I really didn't know what to expect when going to New Zealand when studying abroad besides that there is so much of the country to explore. Right away it was easy how to figure out how to get around and being in the program made it so easy to make friends. I got to travel the whole country and even go to Australia. Most people are in the same boat as you when you get to New Zealand so it is easy to find people who want to travel and explore. I am so grateful to have had this experience and the only thing I would have changed was I would have started traveling earlier on in my experience. I waited a little too long to start exploring and ended up not doing one or two things I wanted to do. New Zealand is amazing and I wish that everyone could experience the country and culture.

Kaylee

Seriously Life Changing

As cliche as it sounds, this program will change your life. As a geology student, I was most excited about exploring the unique landscapes from active volcanic fields to glaciers. I wasn't expecting that the people I'd meet and the experiences I'd have would change my life and teach me what was really important. Ashley, the resident coordinator, and the BCA program was excellent at answering my questions, making me feel welcome, and guiding me through several truly New Zealand experiences. I don't think I would've had as valuable of an experience in NZ without this program.

This isn't necessarily the BCA program, but the academic system is very different than my small, liberal arts school and I struggled with the teaching style. Most classes have multiple professors, who have different styles of testing, and there aren't weekly graded assignments to check your comprehension. Of course, when approached, professors were more than willing to help me and I imagine it has less to do with NZ's academic system and more that it's a large school. I just hope future applicants will take this in to consideration.

Alaina

Do This

I had a lovely time in Dunedin, it is by far the best decision I’ve ever made! Even when moving houses halfway through the semester The BCA directors helped to make sure I had all the support and help I needed during this time. When I got sick, Jan even brought me soup! Not only is BCA easy to work with they are so supportive and helpful, they make it easy to feel at home in your new city. We took so many trips as a group and saw so much, the time I spent there will never forgotten!

Esther
Accra, Ghana

Be apart of something bigger!

I honestly had no idea what to expect when I came to New Zealand. I was sure that I would have great adventures and see some very beautiful scenery. What I did not know is that I would fall in love with the country. All of it. The beautiful sun rises and sunsets, the magnificent beaches, the amazing wildlife, but most of all the people.

As soon as I landed in Dunedin, the BCA program director, Ashley was very welcoming and made me feel right at home. Throughout the semester, she was always there to help with anything, whether it was advice with trip planning or encouragement with your classes and daily life.

In fact, it was Ashley who helped me get involved in volunteering for Rock Solid, an organization that works with the youth in South Dunedin. Through my volunteering I was able to meet a lot of people from different walks of life, some students, some full time in the work force, and many from different countries and backgrounds. I was also able to give back to the city that was now my home.

Looking back on my experience, the trips were neat, the other students were great, class was well class, but some of my favorite moments were playing games and hanging out with the staff and kids at Rock Solid.

So, my advise would be; enjoy the sightseeing, nature, and student life, but take time to volunteer and be a part of something bigger than yourselves. I did - and it made my time in New Zealand something that I will cherish forever.

Ashley
Pennsylvania

DO MORE than just EXIST

Being out from my experience longer, I can only keep reiterating the utter invaluable experience studying abroad has on your life!! I studyed abroad in Dunedin, New Zealand, on the lovely south island :D

Unique, exquisite and breath-taking are words that describe New Zealand's natural wonders and experiences it has to offer. Rather than talking about skydiving, bungee-jumping, and tramping (of course great options, but typical of NZ travelers), I seek to offer a different perspective. I was able to study art history while at the University of Otago, and for all the Art History lovers and art lovers out there, this place is a gem! My professor was from America and I am from America, so I felt an innate connection to her and felt completely comfortable in her classroom. Her teaching style was like no other -- so comforting, knowledgeable, and yearning in want for the students to learn how to learn, appreciate, and articulate what we love and what exists in artwork. Dunedin has multiple galleries and museums that my class walked to in order to go over how Modernism is reflected in current works of art. What do you see? What is the artist trying to convey to the audience? How does the color pallete effect the the mood? It was a great opportunity discuss the works with my professor and classmates. We went to the Dunedin Public Art Gallery and the Hocken Library to review works of art and see first-hand local artists and their work, internationally recognized works, and local art events where you could be surrounded by curious and passionate people! It was a time to bond and become more passionate about art and art history!!! I have to honestly say that through my professor's teaching style and my curiosity of art, I gained an unquenchable thrist for gaining knowledge and skills in the arts and art history! I came to New Zealand knowing that my passion for earth, healthy living, traveling, and appreciating animals would grow stronger during my discovery of pure natural beauty of NZ, but I left with more than that. I left with a deep growing love of art, of turning strangers into friends, of embracing "Sweet as", of loving the flightless birds, of smooth sailing on the TransAlpine, and of watching sunrises against snow-capped mountains on the Routeburn track. So come to Dunedin, New Zealand or at least some part of the Land of the Long White Cloud. Grow your passion, free your spirit, and learn to embrace life come what may. So join me with the great, proud alumn travlers of NZ and DO MORE than JUST EXIST.

I think that maybe placing more than just the BCA program members together to explore and get involved at the University of Otago would be advantageous for the students. The BCA groups are usually really small, and initial group events can be just BCA members in order to feel comfortable with each other and the new environment, but having a larger group to explore with would be nice. I also think, if possible, to review flats to live in would be a nice touch. I would have liked to see where I was staying (like the inside of the home) before I actually got there so I could be emotionally and mentally prepared for my living environment/arrangement. Other than these few items, I believe everything at Otago and the professors/international workers themselves are wonderful.

Melissa
Falmouth, Maine

Best Decision I Ever Made

Deciding to study abroad in Dunedin, New Zealand is one of the best decisions I have ever made. A part of me had always wanted to study abroad, but for the longest time I was too nervous to actually go. But then I was convinced into it and I am so glad that I was because it was an amazing experience. The five months that I was living in New Zealand were life changing, and I learned so much about myself and the world. When it was time for me to go home I didn't want to leave as New Zealand had become a second home to me. I wouldn't trade my experience for anything and if you are considering studying abroad I would highly recommend it!

I don't have any complaints about this program, BCA was amazing and did a great job helping me all throughout my study abroad experience. They made all the paperwork easy that had to be completed before leaving, and once we arrived we had the nicest, most caring resident director ever. She was always there to help us with whatever we needed, even if we just needed someone to talk to. I would highly recommend going through this program!

Alyssa
Danbury, Connecticut

BCA 2015, Dunedin

I, like any other person who considers studying abroad, thought about all the things that could possibly go wrong. I was nervous about making friends, about fitting in and about missing home. It wasn't before long that The University of Otago, The Brethren College Abroad Program, and Dunedin, New Zealand became my home also. Within the first week, I felt confident enough to go out on my own, explore and experiment with public transportation. By the end of my time, I had seen all corners of the lower-south-island: from the beautiful beaches that were right in the city I was living to the southern most point of the south island to the beautiful mountains and lakes of the west coast.
Aside from travel, I learned an exceptional amount of information about Maori culture and society. I was able to dive into first hand opportunities like: Haka performances, Maori Literature, Religion, visiting a Marae (and participating in traditional ceremonies), and other preforming arts. Dunedin, New Zealand is one of the only places that allows BCA students to engage in such rich cultural experience.
As a Social Work major, I also spent a significant amount of time engaging with the community. As part of my degree, I interned at SCOUTS, New Zealand as a community development social worker. I was about to work towards accessibility and affordability for scouts, well being a Cub Scout Leader and participating as a scout myself. The SCOUTS organization allowed me to make kiwi friends, create a sense of self awareness and confidence. SCOUTS NZ lets you grab the reins on your adventure while helping to build a better world where young people are self-fulfilled. SCOUTS offers the one thing that every person studying abroad is afraid of missing, a friend.

The BCA study abroad program was the best program I could have asked for. I felt safe, comfortable and aware of the benefits of the program. I'm not sure that I would change much about the program. The Dunedin, BCA Coordinator was the most kind hearted, helpful and knowledgeable person. I do wish that I had known about my housing plan before purchasing my flight because my housing did not end until Mid-December but, my group flight was booked for Early-November. Had I known that I could have had housing for long, I would have spent more time there. Overall, my experience abroad was exceptional.

Kelly
Rockaway, New Jersey

GO ABROAD

Studying abroad was one of the best decisions I've ever made. The whole expierence was a such an eye opening and life changing event! At first it seemed daunting to live in another country for so long but at the end of my time abroad I didn't want to leave!

Maybe the day we get to the country, we are dropped off and let into our new housing instead of just on the street our flat is on.

Kaitlyn
Elizabethtown, PA

Thank you, BCA!

BCA is an amazing program that makes your study abroad experience so much more rewarding and less stressful! When I first decided I wanted to study abroad I didn't know where to begin. The BCA staff gave me all the information I needed to get started and helped me with any and every question (which was a lot) with the paperwork along the way! Preparation leading up to studying abroad can be really stressful but I promise you the help from a program like BCA makes it much more manageable. And their help doesn't stop there...when you finally get to go they are tremendous with getting you situated and keeping you busy! You will meet your amazing site coordinator, Ashley, right when you get off the plane. From that moment on she will be your mentor, mother and friend. She is amazing to talk to and knows exactly what you're feeling because she's been in your shoes. It's definitely nice to have someone to turn to whereas if you travel alone instead of with a program you may not have that option. I cannot say enough good things about the BCA staff and the impact they will have on you and your journey! (Plus there are some really cool group trips throughout the semester AND Ashley is so amazing that she even adds tons of little adventures on her own time) I highly recommend going through BCA if you are thinking about studying abroad and want the most enjoyable and least stressful experience!! I also wish you the best of luck on your adventure and if you have any questions I am more than happy to answer them the best that I can! Cheers :)

Sherri
Huntingdon, PA

Study Abroad Adventure!

Living in a new country for over 4 months is a challenging experience on it's own, and trying to explore the area and culture and also study on top of that can be overwhelming. It's also very rewarding, though, and very much worth it because no matter what you end up doing you'll end up learning amazing new things about the country and yourself (as cliche as it sounds, it's true!). Even though at first I was frustrated with the extra paperwork I had to fill out to participate in the BCA program on top of the rest of the paperwork to study abroad, it was well worth it. The BCA program really helped me fully enjoy my semester in Dunedin by providing excellent support and resources.

The BCA program helps you get set up with the necessary preliminary steps to studying abroad, such as helping inform you about visas, registering for classes, and providing a handbook with useful background and tips about your destination. They prepared me for traveling in ways I didn't even know were necessary, which I am thankful for. The most helpful part of the program though is the absolutely amazing on-site coordinator, Ashely. It was beyond helpful and comforting to have someone to answer my questions and provide local knowledge and guidance throughout the my time in Dunedin. She's caring, always available to answer questions, and made us feel like we had a little family when we were halfway around the world. It's so reassuring to have the support and expertise of the BCA program when you're so far from home.

Dunedin itself is very much a student city, and especially living in the University Flats (which BCA helps arrange) I was surrounded by both Kiwi (New Zealand) students and other study abroad students hoping to make new friends and explore New Zealand. There's always something to do both on campus and in the city, and there's great access to local hiking and beaches just outside Dunedin. Needless to say, it's easy to take short and long trips and to find friends interested in coming along! The BCA program's built-in trips are awesome as well, and visiting a sheep farm and a marae were both fun and provided great insight into New Zealand's farming and Maori (native people) culture.

I don't really have any complaints about BCA itself. My biggest struggle with preparing to study abroad was the paperwork because I had to apply to study abroad through my home university, the BCA program, and also fill out paperwork for the University of Otago. I had never been to a different country before studying abroad and was unfamiliar with some typical travel details, and was confused at first by some of the requirements and the three sets of applications. Perhaps some of that could have been made more clear by various parties, but overall BCA did a great job laying out what I needed to do and answering any questions I had.

Raegyn
Huntingdon, PA

Studying Abroad Spring 2014

Thinking back, I honestly have nothing bad to say about the program. As soon as I landed in NZ, I was embraced by nothing but warm and friendly people. I instantly felt right at home and had no problem transitioning to another culture. BCA reduces a lot of the stress of arriving because you pay them to cover your housing and meals, which means you don't have to worry about arranging rental costs, etc when you arrive. T

The academic structure is similar to the US and all of the professors I encountered were passionate in what they taught. It was easy to tell that the University of Otago only hires the best. The larger, research oriented school was harder to get used to due to my small school background, but the fact that you live with others in the same situation and are part of program with others makes the whole thing stress free and exciting.

My favorite thing about studying abroad was New Zealand itself. Going to NZ was the best decision I have made thus far. I met amazing people and got to visit so many beautiful places. There is not a spot in NZ that isn't picture perfect. The Resident Coordinator, Ashley, was such a blessing. She made sure we were are taken care of and was available at any point if we had questions about anything. She spent a lot of time ensuring that we had an excellent experience abroad. Our group got to visit various friends' farms in NZ which was an excellent way to learn more about the Kiwi lifestyle and farm life as well as the chance to eat some amazing home cooked meals. Aside from these trips, NZ is an easy place to travel throughout and I found myself constantly taking trips. Even with four months of traveling, I still want to go back and see more. I have no regrets in traveling to NZ, except that I wish I had stayed longer!

You will encounter other programs that study abroad, but I know that ours was the smallest group. I liked it because then we got to know everyone and take more smaller group trips. However, I wish additional trips were included in the program. I also wish I would have known exact amounts for the stipend and when I would be receiving it, as well as some other smaller details before I had left.

Tess
La Verne, California
University of Otago

Can I Move To New Zealand Now?

Studying abroad through BCA was one of the best life decisions I have made so far. When I first arrived in New Zealand I couldn't believe how green and peaceful it looked. Almost every person I encountered was warm and loving. I can honestly say I didn't meet anyone that I didn't like. The people in New Zealand have this loving and humble mentality that everyone should be treated like family. People would go out of their way to help me if I was lost or if I need something in general. Living in the flats was also a ton of fun! I grew pretty close with the people that I lived with and they somewhat became my New Zealand family during the time that I was there. We would go out to dinner together and we also devoted wednesdays to cooking and eating together. The university is definitely one of a kind. Not only is is beautiful but the people that go to Otago know how to have fun. (make sure you have a camera because you will take way too many pictures of everything) I would have to say my favorite thing about living in New Zealand was the amount of adventures you can go on. Exploring the land and places in general is really what makes New Zealand amazing.There is so much to do there, I wasn't able to accomplish everything that I wanted to see! One of my favorite places I visited was Hobbiton on the North Island. Having the opportunity to actually be on the real movie set was seriously the coolest thing I've ever done.
Even though New Zealand is much different than my home, I can honestly say I consider New Zealand my home away from home. I loved being in New Zealand so much that I have bought flight tickets to return this January and May. If New Zealand wasn't so amazing, I probably wouldn't want to go back as much as I do. The only difficulty I encountered was having to leave and come back to California.

If I could change one thing, it would be doing more things with my group. I wish we went on more adventures together throughout the semester. Some of the best times I had was when I spent it with the girls in my group. There were a lot of places that I didn't get to visit and I wish that I could have gone with my program. One of the reasons why I am going back to New Zealand is because I want to see some of the places that I didn't get to go to.

Amy
Lancaster, PA

Best Semester

I have been having an amazing experience at the University of Otago. There are many clubs for you to join to get involved, and most students are active on the weekends instead of just studying. The resident director, Ashley, is very supportive and makes sure that we are all happy and have everything we need. She gave us many money-saving tips at the beginning of the semester as well as teaching us many Kiwi terms, which was very helpful. She also planned a few trips throughout the semester for the BCA crew, which were all well organized and catered to the group. The flats in Dunedin are not as warm as I am used to back in the States, but you get used to the cold within the first few weeks.

Adena
Altoona, PA
Juniata College

STUDY IN DUNEDIN: YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!

My study abroad experience in New Zealand through BCA has exceeded every expectation I had. I absolutely LOVE Dunedin and all it has to offer. From great outdoor activities to a very robust social scene, Dunedin and U of Otago has it going on. And going through BCA has been an absolute god-send! I was able to receive so much help from Phil at BCA throughout the application process and even through the visa application. BCA handles so many details that I didn't have to worry about. Plus, the on-site coordinator, Ashley Mountfort, is one of the most amazing people I have ever met. She works so hard to make sure all BCA students are having the best experience possible, and she plans some great trips for us as well as offering a lot of advice for travel throughout the country. I actually feel bad for students who didn't go through BCA because I know how much work they must have had to do on their own to get into the uni. Trust me, going through the BCA Dunedin program will change your life and make you wish your study abroad experience will never end!

There is very little I would change about the program, but I think one thing would be having more group trips. Since the BCA Dunedin program is relatively new, this explains why there isn't as many group trips as other study abroad programs, but this often comes at much higher cost. Other than this small change, I can't think of any other aspect BCA needs to improve.

Established in 1962, BCA Study Abroad has been committed to helping students understand contemporary issues by offering challenging and rewarding study abroad programs. From its start, BCA has focused its educational mission on engaging students with ideas that matter. As a result, students who participate