TEAN: Study Abroad in Dunedin, New Zealand

A beautiful day to bike around Lake Wanaka
A beautiful day to bike around Lake Wanaka
Otago Highlanders Rugby Game
Tunnel Beach, Dunedin

TEAN's partnership with the University of Otago provides an opportunity to attend a top ranked school while living in New Zealand’s ultimate college town - the country's first university was established here in 1869. Boasting incredible wildlife, a range of outdoor attractions, one of the country’s best-preserved Victorian and Edwardian cities, Dunedin is a rare place that seamlessly blends history, culture and nature. Students study at Otago University. The school focuses on the traditional arts and sciences, has an AACSB accredited Business School and is ranked among the world’s top schools for psychology.

The semester begins with an exciting 5-day Orientation Excursion in adventurous Queenstown on New Zealand's South Island where TEAN's in-country staff guide students through orientation sessions and an array of activities, including exploring Maori culture more deeply, jet boating along the Dart River or discovering the stunning Milford Sound.

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. It's an annual scholarship that can be used for any TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees and orientation (up to $15,000 value).

Popular Programs

Agriculture and Environmental Sciences in New Zealand

Have you dreamt of studying your undergraduate or graduate degree in Agriculture or Environmental Sciences at a university in New Zealand but don’t know where to start? Navigating a different educational and admissions system can be difficult but The Education Abroad Network (TEAN)’s experienced staff can assist you through the whole process.

Brian

An Unforgettable Experience Made Easy

My time spent studying abroad in New Zealand was truly phenomenal. Being based in Dunedin was excellent for a variety of reasons. The city itself is a very comfortable size. There are always things to do, but I never felt overwhelmed by any sort of extreme hustle-and-bustle. It is located in a perfect location, only a few hours' drive from some of the South Island's most beautiful sights. I was able to take weekend trips to Mt. Aspiring National Park, Fiordland National Park, The Lakes District, Abel Tasman National Park and many more incredible places. TEAN effortlessly made an arduous preparatory process seem quite simple. They provided useful tips and effectively kept me on task during my prior semester to meet all of my required deadlines. I would absolutely recommend entrusting TEAN with ensuring that you have the best semester of your life in a brand new place.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
While in Thailand with TEAN, I ate a roasted grub.
Rachel

The Best Decision

Studying abroad in Dunedin was the best decision I ever could have made. I experienced more in 5 months than I ever could have imagined and I made an amazing group of friends right from the start who become my travel and adventure buddies. I quickly felt right at home because everyone was always so friendly and welcoming. Whether it was attending a rugby game, a night out in town, or just hanging out in my flat with my flatmates there was never a dull moment in Dunedin. With the beach just a 10 minute bus ride away, hiking trails within walking distance and streets filled with cafes, shops and restaurants right downtown, this city had everything to offer. By the end of the semester, I had close bonds with people from all over the world which made leaving New Zealand one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unfamiliar thing I ate was duck and lamb.
Kaylee

TEAN is an amazing program

TEAN is a great program. They go above and beyond to prepare you for your trip abroad. I went to Dunedin NZ for a semester and the TEAN staff is simply phenomenal. They are easy to get in contact with and they really want you to have an amazing experience. They more than adequately prepare you before, during, and after your trip. The orientation program when you get to your country allows you to get acclimated in a comfortable environment. TEAN also allows you to meet fellow students who will be going abroad with you. TEAN staff is present within your country and are always available if you need anything. TEAN also has activities for you to participate in while you are in your country. I highly recommend studying abroad through TEAN.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Going bungy jumping! It was so scary but going with friends made it an amazing experience!
Sarah Grace

Best Six Months Exploring the Wilderness of the South Island

Studying abroad in New Zealand through TEAN (The Education Abroad Network) was hands-down one of the best academic decisions thus far. As an outdoorsy person, Dunedin was a perfect match. Almost everyone at the university loves exploring which makes it super easy to find an adventure to a nearby glacier, mountain, or beach most weekends. On top of that, having an American-Kiwi transplant residential advisor nearby at all times made my semester 110% better. My TEAN RA was like a supportive aunt for all of us; she was always there to get a meal or talk if we needed a hug or any advice but wanted us to have our own adventures separate from the other American students we came over with. I couldn't have asked for a better semester abroad experience.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I were to do the semester all over again, I would have traveled up to further parts of the country. It is so easy to get stuck visiting the thousands of utopian sites only a few hours away that it is easy to run out of time to get to visit parts of the country that are completely different such as Auckland or any of the north island.
Amy

Studying abroad with TEAN was the best decision I've ever made!

I loved studying abroad with TEAN! I was super nervous to go all the way to New Zealand for a semester last fall, but TEAN made my experience really enjoyable. The first week/orientation was primarily meeting other students in the same program and learning a bit about the culture in New Zealand. The fact that I was able to know a bunch of students before actually going to class was so helpful because I was able to recognize people on such a large campus. Additionally, TEAN was very organized and really cared about their students. Every month, we had the opportunity to meet with our Resident Advisors for food or for an event and just talk with them about life and things we were doing which I truly enjoyed. Words cannot describe everything that TEAN did for me!

Make friends with travelers! If you want to buy a car while abroad, split it with friends and also split gas with friends. Gas in New Zealand is much more expensive than in the US. I only had class three days a week, so I was able to take long weekends to travel around the South Island. There are a lot of hidden gems around the area, so talk to the resident advisors and locals about places to go to!
Jennifer

An Amazing Experience in New Zealand

I picked New Zealand for the nature and sense of adventure traveling to the other side of the world offered, but what I got was so much more. I was immersed in the nature and gained so much independence that I could not have from any other experience. TEAN orientation provided a small introduction travel and kiwi culture that was perfect to springboard into my own adventures. The program gave me the support and confidence that allowed for amazing day trips and week long adventures. Using a program like TEAN helped form friendships early on in the trip that have lasted far beyond time abroad to home. Forming those early friendships was crucial to have fellow adventurers for the rest of the semester abroad. Choosing TEAN for my semester abroad was the best and most seamless choice I could have made as they made everything so easy to do and fun.

N/A perfect combination of support and hands-off independence
Rachel

Incredible Experience

I had the best abroad experience possible that I could have imagined! From arriving at the airport, TEAN ensured that I was taken care of and surrounded by friends. One of my favorite aspects of TEAN is their week long orientation program- I was able to connect with people in my program and establish a network of friends who attended different universities across New Zealand. TEAN continuously organized activities and "coffee catch ups" throughout the semester, and representatives were always willing to help with any questions! One example of TEANs incredible staff is when I was unsure about how to spend my week long semester break, one of TEANs representatives agreed to meet with me to make a plan. She came prepared with a map of New Zealand, and enthusiastically shared her knowledge with me to help me plan a my first ever independent road trip!

I can not think of anything to improve the program
Jessica

An Unreal Adventure

Going abroad to the University of Otago in Dunedin New Zealand with TEAN was the best choice I have ever made. There are many like-minded amazing students who are also embarking on this adventure right alongside you. TEAN does a great job of helping organize the logistics of studying abroad and always made me feel supported without ever taking away my freedom. It was hard to decide what to do each weekend between camping in beach caves along with penguins, hiking amazing mountains, swimming in clear blue rivers, hanging out in the awesome college-town of Dunedin, and more. I met some of the most amazing peers I have ever met in my life. TEAN provided us with a week to get to know one another in an orientation before the semester started. This made such a difference because once I arrived at school I already had 40 amazing new friends. I am so glad that I took the leap and went abroad to the University of Otago with TEAN.

Trevor

Studying abroad in Dunedin was the best choice

TEAN gave me the best semester of my life and led me to meeting multiple life long friends. They helped me grow as a person and experience things that I truly could not have experienced or seen anywhere else in the world. TEAN did an amazing job of getting their students into a position where we could succeed in a new environment so that we could grow as people and see the world.
I had high expectations set for my semester abroad but they were most definitely exceeded, and I have countless amazing experiences and memories that I will cherish for a long time.
I would definitely recommend this program to anyone interested in studying abroad in New Zealand, and if you are on edge they are very helpful in giving you more information by chatting with someone on their website.

Kyle

Such a wonderful program!

TEAN is full of incredible people who all want to help you with your studies abroad. They guided me in every step of the way from signing up for the program to getting me back home. Not only was it great support but was full of cheerfulness that furthered the enjoyment of my time in New Zealand. They made the transition to a foreign country stress-free and fun. When you arrive in New Zealand, they are prepared to meet you and bring you to where you need to go. Furthermore, they provided us with sleeping accommodations that were very nice. We had the chance to go on a tour of Milford Sound and see something so beautiful. Another aspect that was really really awesome was the chance to learn more about the culture that exists in the country. This allowed me to be prepared and feel confident when it came to interacting with other people in the country. If you are choosing a program, TEAN is the best possible one, hands down.

Amanda

Formative and rewarding in so many dimensions

Study abroad was certainly the most worthwhile experience I have ever pushed myself to undertake. I learned all the cliche lessons that you read from study abroad alumni - they only sound so cliche until you take the jump and do it and realize they are all true. I feel more independent, more self-sufficient, and confident in my ability to navigate the world. I learned that people from other countries are FAR more similar to me than they are different, and that every single experience is either a good one, or a lesson learned. The TEAN staff were incredibly helpful and served as an invaluable resource before, during, and after my semester in Dunedin. You'll be in very good hands if you study abroad through The Education Abroad Network! The experience has inspired me to want to live abroad after finishing my undergraduate degree and continue to lead a different, mind-expanding life and seek to better understand the world and its people.

I have absolutely no complaints about The Education Abroad Network. They were nothing but friendly, helpful, and competent. You'll be in very good hands if you go abroad through TEAN.
Kelly

TEAN helped me find my home away from home!

New Zealand is a place I had never even thought about until I discovered TEAN hosted a study abroad program there that my university was affiliated with. I don't know think I would have ultimately decided to live on the other side of the world for an entire semester if it wasn't for TEAN. After meeting with them, I had this new found confidence to do something for myself for once in my life. That is what my study abroad experience brought to me. Studying abroad with TEAN made me realize what I deserve- which is so much more than what I was giving myself credit for- and also how much I am capable of. Studying abroad made me realize I can do so much more than I ever thought I could. I can climb mountains, I can get good grades at a new university, I am strong, have a good heart and am a great friend. I learned what I should tolerate and when I should stand up for myself. Studying abroad gave me a new found confidence that needed to come out. And for that, I can thank TEAN's study abroad program. With TEAN's help, I was comfortable throughout the entire semester, incredibly well introduced to New Zealand's lifestyle and culture, and supported the entire time. Thank you TEAN!

Ashley

Semester with TEAN in New Zealand

My semester abroad in New Zealand was the experience of a life time. The TEAN staff made it easy to become integrated into the culture and feel safe and welcomed. They were always available to talk and truly cared about each of the students in the program. I spent a lot of my time hiking around the South Island and making my memories in the mountains. There was so much to do while abroad and the staff made sure that we knew about all of it and that everyone was having the experience they wanted. Being in a foreign country so far away from home is always scary, but New Zealand quickly became my home-away-from-home because I had all of the support that I needed to make it that way. I will definitely be returning to this country in the future to either visit, further my education, or eventually to live!

Read my full story
Baldwin Street
Sierra

The Best Part of My Undergraduate Education

I didn't want to graduate college without studying abroad, I am so glad I chose TEAN as my program because they made everything very easy and fun. The 5 day Queenstown orientation was packed with awesome activities and adventures, like the scenic Milford Sound tour and bungee jumping! The orientation was a great way to get to know everyone else one the program and made my first few weeks in Dunedin much more fun and comforting because I had already made some friends. One of my favorite aspects of TEAN is their optional mid-semester break excursions. I traveled to Thailand for 9 days which was somewhere I had never really thought of going before and had the best time of my life!
Studying in New Zealand made me really appreciate the Earth and understand the negative impact we have on its environment. I love TEAN because they are environmentally conscious and promote ways to benefit the environment through recycling and other energy-saving facts.
I was really happy I chose Dunedin to study and live in. Dunedin is perfect for college students! The city and campus are filled with historic and beautiful buildings, but have modern touches added throughout. There are so many coffee shops, thrift stores, art displays, and gardens to explore! I also loved how it didn't take too long to travel outside the city and experience nature, whether it was hiking the local trails or driving a few hours to different national parks.
The living situation in Dunedin is slightly different from most other places. Students live in "flats", which are apartment-style buildings or quaint little houses. This is so unique because everyone's flat looks different! Most flats house 4-6 students. I lived with 5 other girls: 2 were Canadian, 1 was American, and 2 were from New Zealand!! I loved living with international students (especially Kiwis) because I learned so much about their culture and differences in language. It was also an amazing way to connect with other international students, so I wasn't always surrounded by Americans.
The Education Abroad Network provided everything I was looking for in my study abroad experience, and more! I absolutely loved every minute and would do it all over again if I could.

Betsy

NZ is a dream, especially with TEAN!

To kick off my semester abroad in New Zealand, TEAN treated my orientation group to an amazing welcome week in Queenstown! It was a great way for all of us study abroad students to get to know each other! We adventured in Fiordland, which including a boating excursion through Milford Sound as well as a day hike near Mirror Lakes. In addition, TEAN also hosted information sessions in local, historic venues in Queenstown and helped us get acclimated to the New Zealand way of life. Once we got settled at the university, TEAN hosted a bunch of really fun catch-up events where we could all eat lunch & do an activity together. These check-ins were a really fun way to see how everyone was doing. Towards the end of our semester, TEAN hosted an emotional farewell dinner where we said our goodbyes. Going to New Zealand was an absolute dream. The places I adventured, the people I met, and the experiences I had while abroad were some of the most magical times of my life and it wouldn't have happened if it weren't for TEAN. I'm forever in debt to TEAN for helping me have the best semester of my life.

Nothing! TEAN was absolutely amazing and extremely helpful! I couldn't have asked for a better program! They truly want their students to have the best time and to thrive while abroad.