The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): Study in Dunedin, New Zealand

By The Education Abroad Network (TEAN)   Reviews (17)   99% Rating

TEAN's partnership with the University of Otago provides an opportunity to attend one of the country’s top ranked schools while living in New Zealand’s college town. Dunedin is ideally located with access to all the beauty and adventure of the South Island.

The semester begins with an exciting 6-day Orientation Excursion in Queenstown, adventure capital of the world, on New Zealand's South Island. Our in-country staff will guide you through orientation sessions and all the unique activities planned for the week, including wine tasting and jet boating along the Dart River. All included in the TEAN program at no extra cost.

Oceania › New Zealand › Dunedin

Laura
Florida

Adventuring in Dunners

Overall 10

Participating in this program was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my entire life. My study abroad experience was all I wanted it to be and more. Dunedin was an incredible location on the South Island of New Zealand. I was near a beach, and the weekends I used to travel. TEAN made me feel comfortable and supported the whole way through. There was a point of contact in case anything were to ever happen and she met with us periodically throughout the semester. I wanted to stay the whole year I was so incredibly happy!

To be honest, I cannot think of one thing to improve this program. I was 100% happy with it.

Emily
Houma, LA
Villanova University

Still have my "Adventure in Mind"

Overall 10

The University of Otago was a great place to spend a semester, and TEAN was the perfect program through which to do it. I was able to earn credits for my degree while taking classes with local students. The University of Otago has many resources that it encourages all students to use, and there is good support for international students. In fact, the large population of international students was one of my favorite things about the University!

The Education Abroad Network is an organized, helpful, and reputable study abroad provider. All my interactions with TEAN staff have been pleasant. TEAN staff is always willing and able to help! TEAN excursions are a good value for money and tons of fun. I consistently felt encouraged and looked after by my program.

Dunedin is an awesome spot to live. There is an abundance of shops and restaurants to enjoy, neat places to check out, and nature excursions to undertake. I also appreciated Dunedin's close proximity to other areas of New Zealand that I wanted to explore, such as Queenstown, Fiordland, and Mount Cook National Park.

My semester at the University of Otago pushed me to grow emotionally, mentally, and academically. With the support of TEAN, I fostered a better sense of independence and self. I learned to let go of the small things in order to learn the big things. I grew an even greater spirit of adventure, happily surrounded by other students and staff who understood and supported my journey.

Kasie
Easton

New Zealand made me a better version of ME

Overall 10

My semester abroad was challenging, rewarding, and filled with new activities and experiences! Thankfully TEAN was able to guide me, someone who had never traveled outside of the country before, towards the best memories and experiences of my life. They helped me not only find the right school to study at, but also gave me great trip ideas, local advice, and opportunities to explore New Zealand whichever way I wanted to!

Challenging- Studying abroad, especially going to a country without knowing anyone else, is challenging. Adjusting to a new academic structure and country culture is challenging. Hiking in snow, sun, wind, and rain storms was challenging. Learning to budget, cook, and take care of myself was challenging but it was all rewarding.

Rewarding- For every challenge faced, it was extremely rewarding to overcome them and learn that I am more capable than I thought I was. Studying abroad was by far the most challenging experience of my life, but learning to overcome these challenges made it the most rewarding experience too.

New-I chose the word new to describe studying abroad because everything I experienced was new-the food, the culture, friends, and environment. Each day there was something new to try, eat, see, or do. Little or big things- trying pavlova or hiking to Mt Cook-these new experiences made the best memories for me abroad.

Virginia
Dallas
Rollins College

An Experience of a Lifetime

Overall 10

I was hesitant to go through with going to New Zealand, but I'm so glad I did. I have grown so much as a person. It gave me time to think about my life and what I want to do with my time. I loved traveling within New Zealand because Kiwis are some of the nicest people I have ever met. If you have an opportunity to travel to New Zealand, take it, because it is beautiful and is a hidden gem few experience!

Kc
Charlottesville, Virginia
University of Virginia

Hands Down the Best Five Months of My Life

Overall 10

My experience studying at The University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand was a more enriching, thrilling, and overall life-changing experience than I ever could have imagined. I embraced the affable, genuine Kiwi culture, while also growing as an individual as I learned to live on the opposite side of the world. My flatting situation could not have been better, my friendships could not have been stronger and the scenery of New Zealand could not have been more breathtaking. I left New Zealand heartbroken to say goodbye, but also more fulfilled than ever by having my eyes opened to the adventure and excitement of a semester abroad. This experience was absolutely worthwhile, and I encourage anyone considering studying abroad to take the leap and go for it, because it will change your life in so many positive ways!

This incredible experience, however, could not have been possible without the help provided by The Education Abroad Network, whose staff—both at home and abroad—was there every step of the way to facilitate the process. My decision to choose The Education Abroad Network was by the one of the best decisions I made during my study abroad process. The TEAN staff was incredibly accessible, friendly, and knowledgeable. I had countless questions before leaving for New Zealand, and TEAN was there every step of the way. This was not a program hosted through my home University, so my decision to choose TEAN was based all on my own research, and I was confident that TEAN was the best program out there. This program was also the most affordable of all the options I researched-all while including a pre-semester 5 day excursion to Fiji and another week of traveling the North Island. Not only were the American TEAN staff incredibly helpful, but the TEAN members in Dunedin were just as amazing. I lost my phone my first day in Dunedin, and the staff was there right away to take me through the city and get me a new phone. Throughout the semester we had coffee catchups and various other excursions with them. I especially became good friends with our local TEAN guide, and I plan on continuing to keep in touch with her for the years to come! Even after returning home, TEAN has been there to help with the transcript process and the transition of coming home. I would absolutely recommend this program to anyone unsure of a program.

I wish it hadn't ended so soon! I could have stayed forever.

Alex
Burlinton, VT
Champlain College

The Trip of a Lifetime

Overall 10

Getting out of town was very easy and pretty affordable. On any given Thursday night, I might have not had any plans to travel but by the time mid day on Friday rolled around, somebody would have come up with a plan to go out of town for the weekend. One example of a shotgun trip like this was my trip that I took from Dunedin to Auckland. In a matter of days, I found a group of people to rent cars, buy plane tickets, and find places to sleep throughout the country as we drove and flew around both islands of New Zealand.
Over the course of the semester, I was able to make connections and network with people all across the country so that on this 1100km drive, we would have friends to stay with the entire time. On this weeklong trip, we made stops in Christchurch, Wellington, Rotorura, and finally Auckland. I personally hold this trip with such high regard because it had a perfect combination of city life as well as the experience of being in some of the purest natural settings that the world has to offer.
Usually when I have to go for a long drive, I feel rushed to get to my final destination in a timely fashion. I found that when I would travel around New Zealand, I wouldn't feel this urge to rush and would instead take my time to take in the scenery and see the sights.
So when you go to New Zealand, make sure to take your time, don't do too much planning, and make all the stops to ensure that you don't miss a thing.

Tiffany
Uncasville, Connecticut
University of Hartford

Upgrade From Tourist to Traveler

Overall 10

Sometime around February or March my friend brought up the brilliant idea of going abroad. It was my junior year and I thought, "I have nothing to lose." Why not end my college career with a bang?

The past six months has been more than exploring a country and going to uni. Through TEAN they prepared an orientation that brought the students together and gave us a vast amount of knowledge about New Zealand, all while having fun in Fiji, to seeing a Māori cultural dance and white water rafting in Rotorua. TEAN kept coming through and during the semester our TEAN advisor at our university would still have several meet-ups and awesome excursions in our surprise.

New Zealand in general... is an incredible experience. Towards the end of my time there, I had found another place I could call home. My intentions to "go here" and "try that" didn't need an Instagram post every time. All I need was the memory of that moment. At the end, my time abroad was about growing the drive the see what the rest of the world has to offer.

Upgrade From Tourist to Traveler
Erin
North Easton, MA

A New Home

Overall 10

Living in Dunedin for four months was one of the easiest transitions I've ever gone through (easier than going to college!). With the help of TEAN, I knew so much about where I was going and how to navigate the city within a few weeks of being there. I also learned very quickly how to travel the country and did it almost every weekend! The South Island was perfect for me because of the endless hiking tracks, ski mountains, camp sites, bungy jumping, and breathtaking scenery around every corner. I also had the opportunity to visit three other countries (Australia, Fiji, and Tonga) and explore the majority of New Zealand was something most people weren't able to do in four months. The TEAN leaders were very helpful by emailing us often to check up, give travel suggestions, or let us know of any upcoming events. While going abroad was at first out of my comfort zone, I quickly settled in and still consider Dunedin to be my home.

Colin
Easton, Massachusetts

Unbelievable Experience With TEAN

Overall 10

Going to New Zealand was the best life choice I have ever made. The Education Abroad Network is definitely the best program to go with - they were truly amazing. The staff is wonderful as well; they truly care about their student's abroad experience, no matter where they go. I would use TEAN again if I went abroad. The pre-semester trip to Fiji with TEAN was absolutely amazing. That was one of my favorite experiences. In terms of New Zealand, I loved it. It's such an amazing country. It's beautiful, safe, and easy to travel around. I now have so many memories that will remain with me forever. I met really spectacular people in my travels. Dunedin was such a fun city to study in; I can't wait to go back someday.

The Education Abroad Network is perfect! No improvements needed.

Haley
Des Moines, IA

The Perfect College Experience

Overall 10

After having a rough time deciding where I wanted to study, I finally decided on going to the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand. It could not have been a better decision for me. Without a doubt it was the best semester of college thus far.
The city of Dunedin is great in and of itself. It is a college-town and thus is built perfectly for the college lifestyle. There is an endless array of museums, exploring the nearby parks and trails, or having fun downtown in the social scene. Although the city is large, it is extremely walkable. Furthermore, it is located right next to a harbor so if you want to sail or have fresh fish these can be easily found.
How they house students is a lot of fun. You have the opportunity to cook for yourself and live with around five other students. In addition, the other houses nearby become like family as well. The only downside to the housing is that there is little insulation and it becomes quite cold in the fall and winter. However, you learn to be best friends with your sleeping bag and everything is fine.
The university itself is phenomenal. There is an endless array of clubs and organizations you can join while there. There is no way you can be bored. In addition, the classes I had the chance to take were great. I would recommend taking a Maori class while there. When else will you have a chance to learn about the Maori people of New Zealand?
Lastly, the adventures that await you in the South Island are beyond comparison. You can visit the beach and then hike up a mountain into the snow in the same day if you really want to. Multi-day hikes in the wildnerness without cell-phone service, internet, or access to roads is the norm. Get ready to meet an array of adventurous, kind-hearted people from around the world! If you are a person who loves the outdoors, than Dunedin, New Zealand is the perfect place for you!

Choosing classes, suggestions about how hard the classes would be in comparison to American classes and suggestions about what classes students had enjoyed in the past would be helpful.
Possibly having a few more options for things the TEAN group in Dunedin could do as a group.
Offering rides to get to the airport when leaving the country at the end of the semester.

Luke
Grand Rapids, Michigan
University of Otago

This is the place you should be!

Overall 10

I'll start off by saying how difficult it is to fully describe my experience in New Zealand. The scenery, people, nature, and culture were all so different from any other place I've ever been in the world. For over four months, I had the constant feeling that I was living an incredible dream.

Aside from our program orientation in Fiji, I was able to travel all over New Zealand in my free time, whether that meant taking a bus, renting a car, or flying for much cheaper than in the United States. During this travel, I got to meet people from all over the world, experience fresh scenery full of life, and exercise my mind, soul, and body.

I was thrown into a flat with three random American girls and a Kiwi guy, but I absolutely loved it. On our street, we built a great community of people, mostly Americans, but from all over the world. University life was nice because I got to take courses I genuinely wanted to take. They were equivalent to courses I took here, and I got credit for them, but they were from a New Zealand perspective. This was a great learning experience, because so much of what I was doing outside of the classroom was related to this.

I'm a bit of an adventurer, so a lot of my preferences in things I did might be a bit biased, but I'll share them anyways. Some of my favorite hiking experiences outside of school were Mount Aspiring, Arthur's Pass, Milford Track, and the Routeburn Track.

Aside from that, some of my favorite experiences were bungy jumping in Queenstown, kayaking in Abel Tasman and Bay of Islands, parasailing and Bay of Islands, seeing rare wildlife on the Otago Peninsula, participating in the Relay for Life at the University, watching the All Blacks rugby team play in Dunedin, glowworm viewing, abseiling/canyoning down waterfalls with TEAN outside of Auckland, a Stray Travel bus tour of the South Island, and rock climbing in Castle Rock (where I unfortunately broke my ankle. But still, it was awesome.).

Some of my favorite viewing places aside from hiking were the Catlins, Lake Matheson, Murchison, Wanaka, Glenorchy, and Arrowtown.

My typical week looked like this: Monday - Thursday afternoon I would study, do homework, go to all my classes, and experience university life. Thursday late afternoon or early Friday - late Sunday I would travel as much as I could. This consisted of incredible scenery, bungy jumping, parasailing, hiking, meeting new people, and traveling with various friends.

I have personally developed and matured a great deal because of this experience. I learned to travel (flights, bus systems, rental cars) independently, how to better take care of myself, and overall how to live well and adventurously. I even had a scare with a broken ankle near the end of my stay, but fortunately the health care system was incredibly reliable and helpful. Even with that, I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Today I'm still in contact with a handful of friends from my university and program, and would consider them some of my best friends.

I grew so close to so many TEAN friends that I hosted many in Dunedin, as well as visiting them in Christchurch, Wellington, and Auckland. This was great because I got to stay with them, eat with them, and have them show me around--usually for free. Many of the things I did I previously mentioned I did with these incredible people.

A majority of this program I was absolutely in love with. They were a great middleman help to figuring out the study abroad process in regards to tips, living situations, security, visas, passports, flights, other general forms, etc.

The only thing I wish was more detailed and taken care of was the courses/classes segment. I felt like I was thrown in semi-prepared with most other things, but when it came to taking courses I needed to take, I was lost. There was not much guidance in this area.

Nicole
Seabrook, New Hampshire
University of Otago

Already planning my trip back!

Overall 10

I just want to start off by saying that without TEAN, this experience would have been completely different. My time in New Zealand was absolutely amazing. Hard to describe, but believe me when I say it was the best 5 months of my life. To be completely honest, I was really upset to leave my home university at first; what would I miss, what would my friends do while I was away, which, at first, sounded like a lifetime. As soon as I got to the airport, I knew I had made the right decision.

Dunedin is an incredible college town. Thousands of college students, everything is in walking distance, and all kinds of student deals everywhere. I loved staying there and calling it home. It was easy to travel to the rest of the country, via plane and bus, and my kiwi host was extremely helpful, fun, and was an adventurer himself, so was happy to show us all around. My whole flat (apartment), which consisted of myself, a Canadian girl, another American guy, and my kiwi host, got along perfectly. Uni flats and TEAN really do a great job placing people together. At first, its scary to hear you won't be living with other TEAN students that, by the time you have made it to Dunedin, have made lifelong friends with, but it ends up being a great way to expand the amount of people you meet.

By the time you make it down to Dunedin, TEAN has already brought you on weeks of fantastic, incredible adventures. Exploring Auckland and learning what city life is like, seeing the sites of this popular place, and getting oriented to New Zealand is an indescribable experience, that you'll love! Dinners are planned for you, which is wonderful, and you get to meet and interact with the other TEAN students, and then are given free time to relax, or explore.

Aside from Auckland, the orientation in Fiji was one of my favorite parts of my whole trip. I would go back in a heartbeat. Being on this beautiful island and having nothing to worry about for a week is so enlightening, and such a great way to bond with everybody you are getting to know, all while learning and understanding an entirely different culture.

Overall, TEAN sets up everything, so you have nothing at all to worry about except packing (which is daunting!) and I know it was an excellent decision on my part to travel with them. The staff are so helpful, all the way through to the flights home! I had friends who did a direct exchange, and really struggled with planning and coordination, all of which was taken care of!

The one thing I felt could use a little bit more attention is choosing classes, or at least being given some suggestions of classes past students have enjoyed! I would be happy to tell you what I took and liked!

Alex
Allendale, New Jersey
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Overall 9

Words cannot begin to describe my experience, but I'll try...
I came into going abroad not really knowing what I was looking for out of the experience. I was stuck in a rut in life, stuck in my routine, and knew I needed to get out of it. I left having gotten more out of it than I ever could have imagined.
First, New Zealand itself was a dream come true. Everywhere I turned, I saw incredible landscapes, and it felt like the sky itself was the image on a Windows computer. I spent my weeks in class, but because I had no job or other obligations, I had a lot of free time. I'm someone who has NO free time at home, so this was a weird change for me. But it was really what I needed to enjoy NZ to the fullest. I got to travel so many places and meet so many people! I met Kiwis in classes and in the tramping club, and made friends I know I'll have for a while despite the distance.
New Zealand itself would have been perfect any way, but TEAN really was the icing on the cake. From the beginning, they were so helpful with paperwork and processing and getting everything sorted, and I didn't feel too stressed because of their help. They took us to Fiji and Aukland, so by the time the semester started, I had traveled more than most of the internationals. Throughout the semester, we had a few get-togethers, we all went and saw a Rugby game, and had a final dinner. They treated us like adults rather than just college students. I couldn't have been happier. I highly recommend TEAN in whatever country you decide to go to (though I'm biased and think New Zealand is the best).
I came back having such an appreciate for life that I've never had before. I was a driven student prior to studying abroad, and had an impressive resume. But now that I'm back, I value the simple things more. I have the travel bug, and my desire to see new cultures and travel the world has gone from a small "that would be cool" to a "you HAVE to do this."
Adventure is out there. No matter where you go, you will have such a life-changing experience

I wish we had a get-together somewhere in the middle of the semester, or a trip, because we only traveled together at the beginning of the semester. We did have two coffee-catchups, but I wish we'd had another weekend trip all together.

Laura
Chicago, IL
University of Otago

Best semester of my life!

Overall 10

I didn't think it was possible, but my semester in Dunedin was a truly amazing experience I'll cherish forever. Everyone was always eager to go out; whether it was a weekend trip to another region or just around town. Even on the weekends I didn't travel it always seemed like there was something to do like the Speight's brewery tour, the Dunedin craft beer fest, or just exploring the botanical gardens. The classes were all pretty interesting since I choose to take New Zealand specific classes (I figured why not! New Zealand history would be more interesting than more US history) and the whole lifestyle was just simple and relaxed.

It took a bit of adjustment with the no central heating, the data cap, and hanging out the washing in the flats but it was pretty easy to get used to that. It meant people weren't attached to their computer and it made me more aware of my own usage of electricity. If you study abroad in the NZ winter, blankets and layers will become your best friend.

Taking trips was much easier than I thought it would be. Just get a car full of people together, pick a place, rent a car, and you're good to go! My personal highlights were abseiling into a cave in Waitomo, Milford Sound (I never made it to Doubtful Sound but it was highly recommended!), Aspiring National Park by Wanaka, and Waiheke.

It would have been nice if the program helped out a bit more at the end of the semester. When we got there they had our bedding pack and stuff waiting in our flat for us and drove us into Dunedin from the airport. But when we were leaving we were on our own. There's literally nothing else I can think of I'd change!

Sarah
Windham, Maine
University of Rhode Island

the farthest country away in distance but the closest to my heart

Overall 10

TEAN took us to Fiji, let us jump off the Skytower in Auckland and provided us with numerous advantages just by being a part of the program. The staff was alway eager to help and just a email away at all times. They constantly were updating us on things to do in Dunedin and around New Zealand in general and really cared! I knew that New Zealand was going to be one of the most amazing experiences in my entire life and TEAN really helped me achieve that.

Alessandra
Amherst, Massachusetts

TEAN- University of Otago

Overall 10

I was fortunate enough to spend my spring semester in Dunedin with several other students from the Education Abroad Network. I felt at home in Dunedin by the end of my 4 months there, and really came to love the entire country of New Zealand. I was happy with my decision to live on the South Island because there is so much to see there, and most sights are pretty accessible by bus or car. TEAN did a great job at introducing us to New Zealand and everything it has to offer, and was supportive throughout the application process and any help that we needed throughout the semester.

I would have appreciated discounts with travel (car rentals/bus tickets etc) and possibly some sporting events or adventure type of stuff. I do appreciate TEAN's relationship with Stray travel, although I did not utilize it.

Nick
Massachusetts
Stonehill College

Dunedin: Epitome of Prestigious College Towns!

Overall 10

I will start off by saying what you have probably heard already: New Zealand is beautiful. But just hearing it over and over again is not enough. You have to apply yourself and get on the plane to see just how spectacular it all is. I applied to The Education Abroad Network(TEAN) as a study abroad provider. They helped me with every concern I had before leaving: applying, finances, flights, etc. They also provided an unforgettable orientation experience: four days in Fiji, followed by five days in Auckland, NZ. During these nine days I snorkeled in coral reefs, abseiled down waterfalls and became acquainted with the Maori, the indigenous people of New Zealand. Upon landing in my host city, Dunedin, and until the day I left I had TEAN staff to contact whenever I needed assistance with anything. The TEAN staff was kind enough to stay in contact with me after the semester was over because they understand the challenge of reverse culture shock.
I highly recommend studying in Dunedin if you are going to New Zealand for its beautiful natural landscapes. The South Island is where you can find the country's greatest natural parks, including Milford Sound, Arthur's Pass, Abel Tasman Coastal Track, etc. Dunedin by itself has so much character as well. The students love the feel of the large college town with campus located in the center of town. I attend a small private school in the US so I wanted to have this experience for at least one semester. Everything I put into preparation for the semester was completely worth what I experience in New Zealand! Trust me, studying abroad is just as amazing as everyone says it is.

Now YOU have to take the first step and apply to TEAN in Dunedin. I challenge you to follow your dream and see what the world is like down under!

I wish that TEAN would offer discounted ticket prices to an All-Blacks rugby game!

The Education Abroad Network is a relatively small and innovative organization that thrives on giving each and every student deserved personal attention, extensive program preparation, and quick answers to every question under the sun. Creating partnerships with many of the best universities in the Asia Pacific has allowed The Education Abroad Network to become experts at planning and delivering programs in the region. Dedicated and experienced staff provide unparalleled individual service every step of the way. Online applications, extensive pre-departure consultations, in-country orientations, on-site resident directors, cultural excursions, and high quality accommodations provide for the ultimate experience abroad. Check out one of the many awesome programs below, and visit The Education Abroad Network's website to make your study abroad dream a reality!

Community Photos: