• New Zealand
    • Dunedin
Term
Fall, Spring
Arts Biology Business Chemistry Earth Sciences Ecology Economics Education English Film Geography Geology Humanities International Business International Relations Marketing Mathematics Natural Sciences Physics Political Science Psychology Social Sciences Sociology Sports Science Women's Studies +15
Need-based funding, Merit-based funding, General grants/scholarships, LGBTQIA+ funding, BIPOC funding
Health & Safety

Program Details

Pricing

Jun 20, 2024
Jul 12, 2024
19 travelers are looking at this program

TEAN's partnership with the University of Otago provides an opportunity to attend a top ranked school while living in New Zealand’s ultimate college town - the country's first university was established here in 1869. Boasting incredible wildlife, a range of outdoor attractions, one of the country’s best-preserved Victorian and Edwardian cities, Dunedin is a rare place that seamlessly blends history, culture and nature. Students study at Otago University. The school focuses on the traditional arts and sciences, has an AACSB accredited Business School and is ranked among the world’s top schools for psychology.

The semester begins with an exciting 5-day Orientation Excursion in adventurous Queenstown on New Zealand's South Island where TEAN's in-country staff guide students through orientation sessions and an array of activities, including exploring Maori culture more deeply, jet boating along the Dart River or discovering the stunning Milford Sound!

Diversity & Inclusion

BIPOC Support

Here at TEAN, we strive to be a leader in supporting students from all backgrounds to be able to travel and learn abroad. Our aim is to empower our students and help prepare them for a life-changing experience. Everyone's identity is unique to them and can be an integral aspect on where a person chooses to study or intern abroad. Our entire TEAN team is here to help you feel informed, comfortable, empowered and supported throughout every step of your journey. In addition, we have a dedicated Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) team that is ready to act as your resource! The DEI team is passionate about advocating against social injustices, racism, homophobia, xenophobia and all discriminatory social constructs. It is their priority, along with TEAN’s, to ensure students of all backgrounds have access to and are encouraged to travel, specifically through study abroad.

LGBTQIA+ Support

Neurodivergent Support

TEAN is committed to facilitating quality programming to students with varying levels of neurodivergence. Our entire TEAN team is here to help you feel informed, comfortable, empowered and supported throughout every step of your journey. In addition, we have a dedicated Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) team that is ready to act as your resource! It is their priority, along with TEAN’s, to ensure students of all backgrounds have access to and are encouraged to travel, specifically through study abroad.

Accessibility Support

TEAN is committed to facilitating quality programming to students with varying levels of accessibility. Our entire TEAN team is here to help you feel informed, comfortable, empowered and supported throughout every step of your journey. In addition, we have a dedicated Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) team that is ready to act as your resource! It is their priority, along with TEAN’s, to ensure students of all backgrounds have access to and are encouraged to travel, specifically through study abroad.

Impact

Sustainability

TEAN’s Choose Earth initiative is our way of building environmental and social responsibility into the ethos and outcomes of education abroad. At TEAN, we believe that studying abroad should include learning about – and finding solutions to – our most challenging societal problems, such as sustainable development, climate change, biodiversity, resource use, habitat preservation, gender inequality and social injustice in a globalized world.

Ethical Impact

To this end, TEAN is committed to providing experiential learning opportunities abroad that help build the knowledge, skills and attitudes students need to become locally engaged, civically minded and globally responsible. We believe that studying abroad should include learning about – and finding solutions to – our most challenging societal problems, such as sustainable development, climate change, biodiversity, resource use, habitat preservation, gender inequality and social injustice in a globalized world.

Program Highlights

• Dunedin is the gateway to Fiordland National Park, Queenstown, and Wanaka, some of the most ridiculously beautiful scenery this world has to offer.
  • The University of Otago is ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world by QS Global University performance rankings.
  • Heavily involved in volunteering with ample opportunities at Otago’s Social Impact Studio.
  • 30% of New Zealand is a natural reserve, with untouched landscapes, stunning national parks, and incredible hiking trails.
  • Orientation Excursion in Queenstown.

Popular Programs

TEAN, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand

Dunedin is home to the oldest university in New Zealand, the University of Otago, and literally grew around the university – 85% of the university’s students living within a 15-minute walk of campus. With a focus on the traditional arts and sciences, the university offers a broad spectrum of courses for study abroad students paired with an unbeatable location from which to explore the incredibly beautiful South Island of New Zealand.

• 5 rating 97.83%
  • 4 rating 2.17%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Eleanor

Sem1 2024

Dee was an amazing programme director. We went on so many great adventures and saw the most beautiful places. If you are a big nature enthusiast I definitely recommend going to Dunedin. Don't forget your umbrella or raincoat! The locals know the best places around and will offer up great advice on where to go. Some of my favorites around Dunedin was the Otago museum, especially the void room and butterfly exhibit. The botanical gardens has an aviary with all kinds of birds, and a herb garden where you can sample herbs.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Definitely what I would pack. I guessed what I would be doing and wearing. Definitely bring a good pair of walking shoes, rain jacket/ umbrella, and some warm clothes if you are there during the winter/fall
Pros
  • Great people
  • Amazing sights
  • Good school environment
Cons
  • Expensive
1 person found this review helpful.
Holly

University of Otago Study Abroad 2024 through an Environmental Science Majors eyes

The Uni of Otago was the perfect place in New Zealand to experience a study abroad semester, especially with my passion for the environment. There is so many activities you can do: beaches galore, the Royal Albatross Center, the OPERA, and Lanarch Castle are just some of the ones I recommend. Dee was an amazing resident director, always there to help and act as a mom figure! The classes were challenging but synced with NZ concepts and I learned so much and got to push myself. The people of New Zealand are the most friendly, always there to help you. The culture and hospitality made me feel right at home even at first moments of arrival in my host city. My kiwi host was lovely and a friend to be there to guide me through this experience. Overall, my experience abroad was the most amazing thing I could have experienced in my undergraduate career. I met so many diverse people, ate local foods, traveled the country, and learned so much from my classes and professors. I truly found a new home in another country, and I am so keen to go visit asap!!!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
My most surprising moment has to be on my road trip up to Wanka, New Zealand. I went camping with a few of my friends near my birthday weekend to celebrate. One night we were in the campsites kitchen room to make dinner and warming up by the heater because it was freezing outside. Two of my friends went back to the car to get the food things out of the trunk. All of the sudden my friend comes bursting through the door screaming at the top of his lungs "THE AURORAS!!! GET OUTSIDE!!!" We were all like WHAT?? in disbelief running outside and as I looked up the sky was glowing pink. We all jumped for joy together screaming and laughing because we could not believe what we were seeing. And as a bonus he even got the moment all on his tripod camera so we can rewatch it over and over. What a truly amazing night to see this stunning phenomena and all thanks to my friend who just grabbing some food.
Pros
  • Nature & environment
  • Excellent education & professors
  • New Zealand culture & hospitality
  • Otago students party life
  • Public transport lacks throughout country
Alexia

Best decision of my life!

Studying abroad in New Zealand was hands down one of the best decisions of my life!

I learned so much about the world and myself while I was abroad and it has even helped me discover my future interest in travel nursing and international nursing missions. My favorite memories studying abroad were exploring the South Island with my new friends! For example, I went sea kayaking with fur seals in Abel Tasman National Park and hiked up snow-covered Mt. Olliver to watch the sun rise over the clouds!

TEAN was so helpful in walking me through everything I needed to get done before leaving to go abroad and Meaza and Anikka were both super helpful with their prompt responses to any questions I had. The weekend trips they planned helped me to explore parts of New Zealand I otherwise would not have seen on my own and encouraged me to try new local foods and experience more of everything NZ has to offer.

You won't regret your time abroad with TEAN!!

Get to the west coast as much as you can! It's definitely the most beautiful part of NZ!
Pros
  • TEAN makes it easy to make friends upon arrival
  • TEAN makes it an easy transition arriving in a new country and culture
  • TEAN allows you opportunities to have exciting and authentic local experiences
Cons
  • It took a long time for them to send out flight information so prices went up
Ashlyn

Great program!

My semester abroad with TEAN was life changing. Upon arriving, I was welcomed by TEAN staff and spent a week with other students at orientation in Queenstown, helping me to make friends and adjust to life abroad. TEAN supported me before, during, and on my way home, which made the whole process super easy and a lot less scary. A semester abroad was way out of my comfort zone, but New Zealand quickly became my second home with stunning landscapes, happy people, and a unique culture. I highly recommend this program for adventure seekers!

Explore! New Zealand has so much to offer and it's really easy to navigate. Whether it's taking a weekend trip on the InterCity bus or staying close to Dunedin, the views are breathtaking.
Pros
  • Full support from on-site staff
  • No language barrier - mainly English speaking
  • Opportunities to learn about and explore Maori culture
Cons
  • Very long flight (if from USA)
  • Big time difference
Brianna

The Best Decision - Dunedin, NZ

My time in Dunedin, New Zealand was all that I could have imagined and more. I was able to explore the majority of the country when I didn't have classes and I also got to spend a week in Australia! I was afraid to travel across the world by myself as I didn't know anyone going, but I was welcomed by an amazing staff and had support whenever I needed it throughout my semester abroad. I was able to get immersed into the culture and make friends from all over the world as well as make some amazing friends from my home country that I have already visited since being home! One of my favorite memories is camping in Fiordland with my young adults group where I experienced the clearest sky that I have ever seen absolutely filled with stars.

New Zealand was absolutely beautiful and I am so thankful that I was able to experience such a unique landscape! Not only was I able to explore through hiking, surfing, and camping, but I was also able to experience an entirely new academic setting. I learned how to adapt to new environments and ways of doing things! Now I have an incredible experience that has shaped the person that I am today, I have visited two new countries, and I have many skills to add to my resume!

Go in with your arms wide open. Get involved in something like a club or a sport and don't be afraid to say yes to things! But also remember that rest is important too. I made myself feel like I had to do as much as possible in as little time as possible but there was so much beauty in taking slow days and appreciating the world that was right in my backyard!
Pros
  • Long-lasting friendships
  • Experience of a new culture and setting
  • New skills such as flexibility and the ability to work well under pressure
Cons
  • Reverse culture shock when you return home
Anaston

Everything SO Beautiful

Participating in this program was so beautiful: the location, the campus, the people, all of it! The location of the school is great because there are hiking trails within 20 minutes of campus, and there is a beach nearby where you can surf. There are also a lot of opportunities on campus to get involved in volunteer opportunities or on campus ministries, meet new people, and join any clubs. New Zealand is such an amazing country and has some of the most beautiful nature and people I've ever seen!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing I did was do the world's largest bungee swing. New Zealand is home to bungee jumping, and being able to do a bungee swing in the valley of a mountain was insane.
Pros
  • Amazing mountains
  • English speaking country
  • Free national parks
Cons
  • Lacking in public transportation
  • On the more expensive side (gas, electronics, groceries, etc)
Lauren

Best experience of my life

I must start by saying that my time abroad in New Zealand was absolutely the best experience of my life. I stayed there for the full 6 months that my student visa allowed me to, and I am so grateful to have gone through TEAN's program. I met some of my best friends (from all over the globe), went on multiple road trips around the entire country, walked on a glacier, surfed, and so much more.

TEAN was absolutely AMAZING. They were always just a quick email or phone call away if I needed anything. My university did not have any courses pre-approved for the University of Otago, but TEAN helped me immensely throughout this pre-approval process. Additionally, I was very unsure about what university I wanted to study abroad at in New Zealand. I switched around three times before settling on the University of Otago! TEAN was so incredibly flexible and understanding and helped me ultimately decide on Otago (which was undoubtedly the right choice for me).

The TEAN representatives at the University of Otago were also outstanding. They were Kiwis (from New Zealand), and were a great resource for any questions about Kiwi culture, recommendations for travel, food, or just about anything! They went above and beyond to plan fun outings for their TEAN students. What I really appreciated was that they were there if we needed them, but they also let us explore and have our own individual experiences. Planned events were frequent enough to keep in touch and check in, but spaced out enough to let us explore on our own. I really can't say enough good things about how TEAN takes care of its students while they are abroad, while still allowing them to be independent with their experience. Thank you TEAN!!

Honestly can't think of anything! TEAN was amazing.
Allison

Unforgettable Semester and Experience

Dunedin is amazing. I've been home for a few months and I'm ready to go back. TEAN made the transition to New Zealand go smoothly and relieved a lot of my (and my parents') arrival stress. TEAN's orientation sets you up for success and the continued events during the semester showed me attractions in Dunedin that I did not know existed. The outdoors were incredibly accessible and close and every place that I visited was my new favorite location. The whole country is right out of an adventure blog. I traveled as much as my class schedule would allow for, but still have a massive list of everything that I still want to see. Dunedin and New Zealand will always hold a place in my heart.

Please take advantage of all the nature surrounding you. There is no other place that allows you to be able to drive 15 minutes in one direction to hike a volcanic cone, then be able to drive 15 minutes in the opposite direction to lay in the sand at the beach. You don't have to go far to find adventure in Dunedin.