The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): Study in Dunedin, New Zealand

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship 2019

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. The scholarship can be used for any Summer or Fall 2019 TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees, orientation and housing (up to $26,000 value).

TEAN's partnership with the University of Otago provides an opportunity to attend a top ranked school while living in New Zealand’s ultimate college town - the country's first university was established here in 1869. Boasting incredible wildlife, a range of outdoor attractions, one of the country’s best-preserved Victorian and Edwardian cities, Dunedin is a rare place that seamlessly blends history, culture and nature. Students study at Otago University. The school focuses on the traditional arts and sciences, has an AACSB accredited Business School and is ranked among the world’s top schools for psychology.

The semester begins with an exciting 5-day Orientation Excursion in adventurous Queenstown on New Zealand's South Island where TEAN's in-country staff guide students through orientation sessions and an array of activities, including exploring Maori culture more deeply, jet boating along the Dart River or discovering the stunning Milford Sound.

Kelly

TEAN helped me find my home away from home!

New Zealand is a place I had never even thought about until I discovered TEAN hosted a study abroad program there that my university was affiliated with. I don't know think I would have ultimately decided to live on the other side of the world for an entire semester if it wasn't for TEAN. After meeting with them, I had this new found confidence to do something for myself for once in my life. That is what my study abroad experience brought to me. Studying abroad with TEAN made me realize what I deserve- which is so much more than what I was giving myself credit for- and also how much I am capable of. Studying abroad made me realize I can do so much more than I ever thought I could. I can climb mountains, I can get good grades at a new university, I am strong, have a good heart and am a great friend. I learned what I should tolerate and when I should stand up for myself. Studying abroad gave me a new found confidence that needed to come out. And for that, I can thank TEAN's study abroad program. With TEAN's help, I was comfortable throughout the entire semester, incredibly well introduced to New Zealand's lifestyle and culture, and supported the entire time. Thank you TEAN!

Ashley

Semester with TEAN in New Zealand

My semester abroad in New Zealand was the experience of a life time. The TEAN staff made it easy to become integrated into the culture and feel safe and welcomed. They were always available to talk and truly cared about each of the students in the program. I spent a lot of my time hiking around the South Island and making my memories in the mountains. There was so much to do while abroad and the staff made sure that we knew about all of it and that everyone was having the experience they wanted. Being in a foreign country so far away from home is always scary, but New Zealand quickly became my home-away-from-home because I had all of the support that I needed to make it that way. I will definitely be returning to this country in the future to either visit, further my education, or eventually to live!

Baldwin Street
Sierra

The Best Part of My Undergraduate Education

I didn't want to graduate college without studying abroad, I am so glad I chose TEAN as my program because they made everything very easy and fun. The 5 day Queenstown orientation was packed with awesome activities and adventures, like the scenic Milford Sound tour and bungee jumping! The orientation was a great way to get to know everyone else one the program and made my first few weeks in Dunedin much more fun and comforting because I had already made some friends. One of my favorite aspects of TEAN is their optional mid-semester break excursions. I traveled to Thailand for 9 days which was somewhere I had never really thought of going before and had the best time of my life!
Studying in New Zealand made me really appreciate the Earth and understand the negative impact we have on its environment. I love TEAN because they are environmentally conscious and promote ways to benefit the environment through recycling and other energy-saving facts.
I was really happy I chose Dunedin to study and live in. Dunedin is perfect for college students! The city and campus are filled with historic and beautiful buildings, but have modern touches added throughout. There are so many coffee shops, thrift stores, art displays, and gardens to explore! I also loved how it didn't take too long to travel outside the city and experience nature, whether it was hiking the local trails or driving a few hours to different national parks.
The living situation in Dunedin is slightly different from most other places. Students live in "flats", which are apartment-style buildings or quaint little houses. This is so unique because everyone's flat looks different! Most flats house 4-6 students. I lived with 5 other girls: 2 were Canadian, 1 was American, and 2 were from New Zealand!! I loved living with international students (especially Kiwis) because I learned so much about their culture and differences in language. It was also an amazing way to connect with other international students, so I wasn't always surrounded by Americans.
The Education Abroad Network provided everything I was looking for in my study abroad experience, and more! I absolutely loved every minute and would do it all over again if I could.

Betsy

NZ is a dream, especially with TEAN!

To kick off my semester abroad in New Zealand, TEAN treated my orientation group to an amazing welcome week in Queenstown! It was a great way for all of us study abroad students to get to know each other! We adventured in Fiordland, which including a boating excursion through Milford Sound as well as a day hike near Mirror Lakes. In addition, TEAN also hosted information sessions in local, historic venues in Queenstown and helped us get acclimated to the New Zealand way of life. Once we got settled at the university, TEAN hosted a bunch of really fun catch-up events where we could all eat lunch & do an activity together. These check-ins were a really fun way to see how everyone was doing. Towards the end of our semester, TEAN hosted an emotional farewell dinner where we said our goodbyes. Going to New Zealand was an absolute dream. The places I adventured, the people I met, and the experiences I had while abroad were some of the most magical times of my life and it wouldn't have happened if it weren't for TEAN. I'm forever in debt to TEAN for helping me have the best semester of my life.

Nothing! TEAN was absolutely amazing and extremely helpful! I couldn't have asked for a better program! They truly want their students to have the best time and to thrive while abroad.
Teagan

10/10 TEAN Program @ University of Otago Experience!!

My time spent studying abroad with the The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) at the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand was truly an experience of a lifetime made possible by the TEAN Staff. I spent my week days enjoying my classes, learning about the Māori culture, and exploring everything the wonderful city of Dunedin has to offer. I spent almost every weekend camping, tramping, traveling, and taking in the beautiful country. Although studying abroad is a great way to stay on track with your education while gaining a global perspective, it is not all about studying. Explore, push yourself out of your comfort zone, become a local, and you will have an experience that you will never forget. Before I left for this adventure, someone gave me the advice to say yes to everything. At times I felt a little out of my comfort zone, but I took this advice and experienced more than I could have ever imagined. I now have friends from all over the world that I will always keep in touch with. My study abroad experience was unforgettable, and one that I will cherish forever.

Marissa

The Best 5 Months of My Life

Studying abroad in New Zealand is easily the best decision I have made in my college. When I finally decided to do it, I knew NZ would be the perfect place. And perfect it was! Dunedin is always bustling with activity. It has such cute coffee shops on George Street, a bunch of local beaches, and plenty of places to go out at night. I took really cool classes at UOtago including Global Marine Systems, Environmental Sociology, and Maori Society; it gave me the opportunity to learn about topics of interest but through the lens of a different culture. On top of this, I was able to volunteer with two local organizations, and this really helped me immerse myself into the local community.

I also spent every weekend traveling all over the South Island doing tramping trips and sight seeing. I highly recommend Queenstown and Wanaka :) Overall though, the process of studying abroad was so smooth because TEAN helped organize all the logistics. If youre thinking about studying abroad, do it. I promise you won't be disappointed!

Alyssa

The Time of My Life

New Zealand really gave me the study abroad experience of a lifetime! Every weekend I was off on a new adventure with friends from home and within my program. In just 5 months I was able to travel to 23 different cities within the country, some even more than once because I couldn't stay away (Queenstown, Wanaka, and Wellington). From the very first day, while I was a bit homesick, I was able to take my mind off of it by getting out of my comfort zone, going on hikes, skydiving, bungee jumping, skiing and so much more! The bonds I formed with my roommates, and the friendships I made with classmates and other local students and neighbors is something that I will cherish forever. Be prepared for spontaneous road trips and fantastic views and lots of sheep and lambs, which are the absolute cutest things I have ever seen. Don't for one second hesitate about doing something, because you never know when you will have the chance to do it again. Dunedin itself is a classic college town, full of students and faculty, and with downtown only a 10 minute walk down a street lined with restaurants, cafes, and shops, the social scene is out of this world. Personally, there were so many things to explore, I feel like I didn't have enough time! Always remember to sit back and take in the moment, though, because time moves fast. My study abroad time in New Zealand may be complete, but I am determined to go back some day!

Kim

The most incredible 5 months of my entire life!

Going abroad completely alone was nerve wracking to say the least. It was my first time out of the country for more than a week. Was I going to make friends? Was it going to be life changing like everyone says it is? Fast forward five months and I can't believe I ever questioned these things. Going abroad was the most life changing thing I have ever done for myself. I was lucky enough to travel through the TEAN program. They were so helpful when setting up flights, housing, classes, and other traveling outside of the country! During the first week we had an orientation in Queenstown, which was the most exhilarating week of my life. For 7 days I barely slept because I was constantly meeting new people, going on new adventures, and learning everything there was to know about life as a Kiwi. TEAN set up speed boats through Glenorchy, afternoons at local wineries, and dinner at some of the best spots in town. Once orientation was over and we were adjusted to life in Dunedin, they set up activities throughout the semester to catch up with everyone. We went to rugby games, explored the Otago peninsula, toured the Cadbury chocolate factory, and dined at incredible restaurants. Throughout my semester, I took full advantage of everything around me. I slept in caves on a beach with penguins, I bungy jumped, I walked on an active volcanic island, I hiked mountains, traveled to Thailand, and did so much more. My trip to Thailand was also set up through TEAN. We visited two cities and three islands during our 9 day getaway. We went to an elephant sanctuary, snorkeled, relaxed on the most beautiful beaches, and spent the night in a traditional thai village. Going abroad is the most eye opening, thrilling, and life changing experience that I wish I could return to everyday that I'm back home.

TEAN is an incredible program. Any time you have a question, someone is there with an answer. They are so helpful and truly want you to have the best experience possible.
Ally

Incredible semester, incredible places, and incredible people!

I never wanted to leave Dunedin! TEAN was an incredible resource and did a fabulous job getting us all acquainted and comfortable in our new homes. I had the greatest time of my life on this program! I absolutely loved being able to take courses with both international students and native New Zealanders, and thought the resources available (especially the international students' office) were phenomenal. The "flatting" experience was one of the highlights of my whole semester -- getting to live with other international students was an amazing experience, and my fellow flatmates become some of my closest friends I made while abroad. There was no shortage of delicious food (and yummy flat whites!), which made it easy to find fun things to do with friends. Of course, I couldn't forget about the outdoor activities -- I'm a HUGE outdoors enthusiast, so Dunedin was heaven on earth to me. TEAN made it easy to find hikes and other activities to do, as well as took us to see some really beautiful places on our orientation. I felt so grateful to have these beautiful outdoor spaces made so accessible to us. Overall, my time abroad was a life-changing experience, and I would recommend this program to anyone!

N/A -- program was great!
Kelli

Forever Longing a Return to NZ with TEAN

My time in New Zealand was more than I could have ever imagined, and I credit TEAN for setting me up with the friends and resources I needed to excel to have the trip of a lifetime. After having an action-packed orientation with 35 other studying abroad students, I felt that I was moving into my new home with a great group of friends already. I kept these friends for the duration of the semester, roadtripping around and bungee jumping and hiking, and I am also confident that these are friendships I will hold for years to come. My TEAN contact in Dunedin met us for coffee dates, dinner, and was always available when we needed her expertise. TEAN encouraged our independence and sense of adventure but also made sure we were always prepared enough to have an enjoyable time. I could not be happier with choosing to study abroad though TEAN, and I will be forever grateful for the memories they led me to.

I honestly cannot think of any more TEAN could do to help us before or during our time abroad. They constantly were there to answer questions and to help prepare us for the transition, and then once we moved in they were always there to help us plan hikes and take us for an afternoon coffee.
Laura

Adventuring in Dunners

Participating in this program was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my entire life. My study abroad experience was all I wanted it to be and more. Dunedin was an incredible location on the South Island of New Zealand. I was near a beach, and the weekends I used to travel. TEAN made me feel comfortable and supported the whole way through. There was a point of contact in case anything were to ever happen and she met with us periodically throughout the semester. I wanted to stay the whole year I was so incredibly happy!

To be honest, I cannot think of one thing to improve this program. I was 100% happy with it.
Emily

Still have my "Adventure in Mind"

The University of Otago was a great place to spend a semester, and TEAN was the perfect program through which to do it. I was able to earn credits for my degree while taking classes with local students. The University of Otago has many resources that it encourages all students to use, and there is good support for international students. In fact, the large population of international students was one of my favorite things about the University!

The Education Abroad Network is an organized, helpful, and reputable study abroad provider. All my interactions with TEAN staff have been pleasant. TEAN staff is always willing and able to help! TEAN excursions are a good value for money and tons of fun. I consistently felt encouraged and looked after by my program.

Dunedin is an awesome spot to live. There is an abundance of shops and restaurants to enjoy, neat places to check out, and nature excursions to undertake. I also appreciated Dunedin's close proximity to other areas of New Zealand that I wanted to explore, such as Queenstown, Fiordland, and Mount Cook National Park.

My semester at the University of Otago pushed me to grow emotionally, mentally, and academically. With the support of TEAN, I fostered a better sense of independence and self. I learned to let go of the small things in order to learn the big things. I grew an even greater spirit of adventure, happily surrounded by other students and staff who understood and supported my journey.

Kasie

New Zealand made me a better version of ME

My semester abroad was challenging, rewarding, and filled with new activities and experiences! Thankfully TEAN was able to guide me, someone who had never traveled outside of the country before, towards the best memories and experiences of my life. They helped me not only find the right school to study at, but also gave me great trip ideas, local advice, and opportunities to explore New Zealand whichever way I wanted to!

Challenging- Studying abroad, especially going to a country without knowing anyone else, is challenging. Adjusting to a new academic structure and country culture is challenging. Hiking in snow, sun, wind, and rain storms was challenging. Learning to budget, cook, and take care of myself was challenging but it was all rewarding.

Rewarding- For every challenge faced, it was extremely rewarding to overcome them and learn that I am more capable than I thought I was. Studying abroad was by far the most challenging experience of my life, but learning to overcome these challenges made it the most rewarding experience too.

New-I chose the word new to describe studying abroad because everything I experienced was new-the food, the culture, friends, and environment. Each day there was something new to try, eat, see, or do. Little or big things- trying pavlova or hiking to Mt Cook-these new experiences made the best memories for me abroad.

Virginia

An Experience of a Lifetime

I was hesitant to go through with going to New Zealand, but I'm so glad I did. I have grown so much as a person. It gave me time to think about my life and what I want to do with my time. I loved traveling within New Zealand because Kiwis are some of the nicest people I have ever met. If you have an opportunity to travel to New Zealand, take it, because it is beautiful and is a hidden gem few experience!

Kc

Hands Down the Best Five Months of My Life

My experience studying at The University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand was a more enriching, thrilling, and overall life-changing experience than I ever could have imagined. I embraced the affable, genuine Kiwi culture, while also growing as an individual as I learned to live on the opposite side of the world. My flatting situation could not have been better, my friendships could not have been stronger and the scenery of New Zealand could not have been more breathtaking. I left New Zealand heartbroken to say goodbye, but also more fulfilled than ever by having my eyes opened to the adventure and excitement of a semester abroad. This experience was absolutely worthwhile, and I encourage anyone considering studying abroad to take the leap and go for it, because it will change your life in so many positive ways!

This incredible experience, however, could not have been possible without the help provided by The Education Abroad Network, whose staff—both at home and abroad—was there every step of the way to facilitate the process. My decision to choose The Education Abroad Network was by the one of the best decisions I made during my study abroad process. The TEAN staff was incredibly accessible, friendly, and knowledgeable. I had countless questions before leaving for New Zealand, and TEAN was there every step of the way. This was not a program hosted through my home University, so my decision to choose TEAN was based all on my own research, and I was confident that TEAN was the best program out there. This program was also the most affordable of all the options I researched-all while including a pre-semester 5 day excursion to Fiji and another week of traveling the North Island. Not only were the American TEAN staff incredibly helpful, but the TEAN members in Dunedin were just as amazing. I lost my phone my first day in Dunedin, and the staff was there right away to take me through the city and get me a new phone. Throughout the semester we had coffee catchups and various other excursions with them. I especially became good friends with our local TEAN guide, and I plan on continuing to keep in touch with her for the years to come! Even after returning home, TEAN has been there to help with the transcript process and the transition of coming home. I would absolutely recommend this program to anyone unsure of a program.

I wish it hadn't ended so soon! I could have stayed forever.

About The Education Abroad Network

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is a full-service international education provider specializing in immersive study and internship programs throughout Asia Pacific. Creating close partnerships the best universities in Australia, New Zealand and...