The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): Study in Dunedin, New Zealand

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship 2019

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. The scholarship can be used for any Summer or Fall 2019 TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees, orientation and housing (up to $26,000 value).

TEAN's partnership with the University of Otago provides an opportunity to attend a top ranked school while living in New Zealand’s ultimate college town - the country's first university was established here in 1869. Boasting incredible wildlife, a range of outdoor attractions, one of the country’s best-preserved Victorian and Edwardian cities, Dunedin is a rare place that seamlessly blends history, culture and nature. Students study at Otago University. The school focuses on the traditional arts and sciences, has an AACSB accredited Business School and is ranked among the world’s top schools for psychology.

The semester begins with an exciting 5-day Orientation Excursion in adventurous Queenstown on New Zealand's South Island where TEAN's in-country staff guide students through orientation sessions and an array of activities, including exploring Maori culture more deeply, jet boating along the Dart River or discovering the stunning Milford Sound.

Marissa

The Best 5 Months of My Life

Studying abroad in New Zealand is easily the best decision I have made in my college. When I finally decided to do it, I knew NZ would be the perfect place. And perfect it was! Dunedin is always bustling with activity. It has such cute coffee shops on George Street, a bunch of local beaches, and plenty of places to go out at night. I took really cool classes at UOtago including Global Marine Systems, Environmental Sociology, and Maori Society; it gave me the opportunity to learn about topics of interest but through the lens of a different culture. On top of this, I was able to volunteer with two local organizations, and this really helped me immerse myself into the local community.

I also spent every weekend traveling all over the South Island doing tramping trips and sight seeing. I highly recommend Queenstown and Wanaka :) Overall though, the process of studying abroad was so smooth because TEAN helped organize all the logistics. If youre thinking about studying abroad, do it. I promise you won't be disappointed!

Alyssa

The Time of My Life

New Zealand really gave me the study abroad experience of a lifetime! Every weekend I was off on a new adventure with friends from home and within my program. In just 5 months I was able to travel to 23 different cities within the country, some even more than once because I couldn't stay away (Queenstown, Wanaka, and Wellington). From the very first day, while I was a bit homesick, I was able to take my mind off of it by getting out of my comfort zone, going on hikes, skydiving, bungee jumping, skiing and so much more! The bonds I formed with my roommates, and the friendships I made with classmates and other local students and neighbors is something that I will cherish forever. Be prepared for spontaneous road trips and fantastic views and lots of sheep and lambs, which are the absolute cutest things I have ever seen. Don't for one second hesitate about doing something, because you never know when you will have the chance to do it again. Dunedin itself is a classic college town, full of students and faculty, and with downtown only a 10 minute walk down a street lined with restaurants, cafes, and shops, the social scene is out of this world. Personally, there were so many things to explore, I feel like I didn't have enough time! Always remember to sit back and take in the moment, though, because time moves fast. My study abroad time in New Zealand may be complete, but I am determined to go back some day!

Kim

The most incredible 5 months of my entire life!

Going abroad completely alone was nerve wracking to say the least. It was my first time out of the country for more than a week. Was I going to make friends? Was it going to be life changing like everyone says it is? Fast forward five months and I can't believe I ever questioned these things. Going abroad was the most life changing thing I have ever done for myself. I was lucky enough to travel through the TEAN program. They were so helpful when setting up flights, housing, classes, and other traveling outside of the country! During the first week we had an orientation in Queenstown, which was the most exhilarating week of my life. For 7 days I barely slept because I was constantly meeting new people, going on new adventures, and learning everything there was to know about life as a Kiwi. TEAN set up speed boats through Glenorchy, afternoons at local wineries, and dinner at some of the best spots in town. Once orientation was over and we were adjusted to life in Dunedin, they set up activities throughout the semester to catch up with everyone. We went to rugby games, explored the Otago peninsula, toured the Cadbury chocolate factory, and dined at incredible restaurants. Throughout my semester, I took full advantage of everything around me. I slept in caves on a beach with penguins, I bungy jumped, I walked on an active volcanic island, I hiked mountains, traveled to Thailand, and did so much more. My trip to Thailand was also set up through TEAN. We visited two cities and three islands during our 9 day getaway. We went to an elephant sanctuary, snorkeled, relaxed on the most beautiful beaches, and spent the night in a traditional thai village. Going abroad is the most eye opening, thrilling, and life changing experience that I wish I could return to everyday that I'm back home.

TEAN is an incredible program. Any time you have a question, someone is there with an answer. They are so helpful and truly want you to have the best experience possible.
Ally

Incredible semester, incredible places, and incredible people!

I never wanted to leave Dunedin! TEAN was an incredible resource and did a fabulous job getting us all acquainted and comfortable in our new homes. I had the greatest time of my life on this program! I absolutely loved being able to take courses with both international students and native New Zealanders, and thought the resources available (especially the international students' office) were phenomenal. The "flatting" experience was one of the highlights of my whole semester -- getting to live with other international students was an amazing experience, and my fellow flatmates become some of my closest friends I made while abroad. There was no shortage of delicious food (and yummy flat whites!), which made it easy to find fun things to do with friends. Of course, I couldn't forget about the outdoor activities -- I'm a HUGE outdoors enthusiast, so Dunedin was heaven on earth to me. TEAN made it easy to find hikes and other activities to do, as well as took us to see some really beautiful places on our orientation. I felt so grateful to have these beautiful outdoor spaces made so accessible to us. Overall, my time abroad was a life-changing experience, and I would recommend this program to anyone!

N/A -- program was great!
Kelli

Forever Longing a Return to NZ with TEAN

My time in New Zealand was more than I could have ever imagined, and I credit TEAN for setting me up with the friends and resources I needed to excel to have the trip of a lifetime. After having an action-packed orientation with 35 other studying abroad students, I felt that I was moving into my new home with a great group of friends already. I kept these friends for the duration of the semester, roadtripping around and bungee jumping and hiking, and I am also confident that these are friendships I will hold for years to come. My TEAN contact in Dunedin met us for coffee dates, dinner, and was always available when we needed her expertise. TEAN encouraged our independence and sense of adventure but also made sure we were always prepared enough to have an enjoyable time. I could not be happier with choosing to study abroad though TEAN, and I will be forever grateful for the memories they led me to.

I honestly cannot think of any more TEAN could do to help us before or during our time abroad. They constantly were there to answer questions and to help prepare us for the transition, and then once we moved in they were always there to help us plan hikes and take us for an afternoon coffee.
Laura

Adventuring in Dunners

Participating in this program was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my entire life. My study abroad experience was all I wanted it to be and more. Dunedin was an incredible location on the South Island of New Zealand. I was near a beach, and the weekends I used to travel. TEAN made me feel comfortable and supported the whole way through. There was a point of contact in case anything were to ever happen and she met with us periodically throughout the semester. I wanted to stay the whole year I was so incredibly happy!

To be honest, I cannot think of one thing to improve this program. I was 100% happy with it.
Emily

Still have my "Adventure in Mind"

The University of Otago was a great place to spend a semester, and TEAN was the perfect program through which to do it. I was able to earn credits for my degree while taking classes with local students. The University of Otago has many resources that it encourages all students to use, and there is good support for international students. In fact, the large population of international students was one of my favorite things about the University!

The Education Abroad Network is an organized, helpful, and reputable study abroad provider. All my interactions with TEAN staff have been pleasant. TEAN staff is always willing and able to help! TEAN excursions are a good value for money and tons of fun. I consistently felt encouraged and looked after by my program.

Dunedin is an awesome spot to live. There is an abundance of shops and restaurants to enjoy, neat places to check out, and nature excursions to undertake. I also appreciated Dunedin's close proximity to other areas of New Zealand that I wanted to explore, such as Queenstown, Fiordland, and Mount Cook National Park.

My semester at the University of Otago pushed me to grow emotionally, mentally, and academically. With the support of TEAN, I fostered a better sense of independence and self. I learned to let go of the small things in order to learn the big things. I grew an even greater spirit of adventure, happily surrounded by other students and staff who understood and supported my journey.

Kasie

New Zealand made me a better version of ME

My semester abroad was challenging, rewarding, and filled with new activities and experiences! Thankfully TEAN was able to guide me, someone who had never traveled outside of the country before, towards the best memories and experiences of my life. They helped me not only find the right school to study at, but also gave me great trip ideas, local advice, and opportunities to explore New Zealand whichever way I wanted to!

Challenging- Studying abroad, especially going to a country without knowing anyone else, is challenging. Adjusting to a new academic structure and country culture is challenging. Hiking in snow, sun, wind, and rain storms was challenging. Learning to budget, cook, and take care of myself was challenging but it was all rewarding.

Rewarding- For every challenge faced, it was extremely rewarding to overcome them and learn that I am more capable than I thought I was. Studying abroad was by far the most challenging experience of my life, but learning to overcome these challenges made it the most rewarding experience too.

New-I chose the word new to describe studying abroad because everything I experienced was new-the food, the culture, friends, and environment. Each day there was something new to try, eat, see, or do. Little or big things- trying pavlova or hiking to Mt Cook-these new experiences made the best memories for me abroad.

Virginia

An Experience of a Lifetime

I was hesitant to go through with going to New Zealand, but I'm so glad I did. I have grown so much as a person. It gave me time to think about my life and what I want to do with my time. I loved traveling within New Zealand because Kiwis are some of the nicest people I have ever met. If you have an opportunity to travel to New Zealand, take it, because it is beautiful and is a hidden gem few experience!

Kc

Hands Down the Best Five Months of My Life

My experience studying at The University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand was a more enriching, thrilling, and overall life-changing experience than I ever could have imagined. I embraced the affable, genuine Kiwi culture, while also growing as an individual as I learned to live on the opposite side of the world. My flatting situation could not have been better, my friendships could not have been stronger and the scenery of New Zealand could not have been more breathtaking. I left New Zealand heartbroken to say goodbye, but also more fulfilled than ever by having my eyes opened to the adventure and excitement of a semester abroad. This experience was absolutely worthwhile, and I encourage anyone considering studying abroad to take the leap and go for it, because it will change your life in so many positive ways!

This incredible experience, however, could not have been possible without the help provided by The Education Abroad Network, whose staff—both at home and abroad—was there every step of the way to facilitate the process. My decision to choose The Education Abroad Network was by the one of the best decisions I made during my study abroad process. The TEAN staff was incredibly accessible, friendly, and knowledgeable. I had countless questions before leaving for New Zealand, and TEAN was there every step of the way. This was not a program hosted through my home University, so my decision to choose TEAN was based all on my own research, and I was confident that TEAN was the best program out there. This program was also the most affordable of all the options I researched-all while including a pre-semester 5 day excursion to Fiji and another week of traveling the North Island. Not only were the American TEAN staff incredibly helpful, but the TEAN members in Dunedin were just as amazing. I lost my phone my first day in Dunedin, and the staff was there right away to take me through the city and get me a new phone. Throughout the semester we had coffee catchups and various other excursions with them. I especially became good friends with our local TEAN guide, and I plan on continuing to keep in touch with her for the years to come! Even after returning home, TEAN has been there to help with the transcript process and the transition of coming home. I would absolutely recommend this program to anyone unsure of a program.

I wish it hadn't ended so soon! I could have stayed forever.
Alex

The Trip of a Lifetime

Getting out of town was very easy and pretty affordable. On any given Thursday night, I might have not had any plans to travel but by the time mid day on Friday rolled around, somebody would have come up with a plan to go out of town for the weekend. One example of a shotgun trip like this was my trip that I took from Dunedin to Auckland. In a matter of days, I found a group of people to rent cars, buy plane tickets, and find places to sleep throughout the country as we drove and flew around both islands of New Zealand.
Over the course of the semester, I was able to make connections and network with people all across the country so that on this 1100km drive, we would have friends to stay with the entire time. On this weeklong trip, we made stops in Christchurch, Wellington, Rotorura, and finally Auckland. I personally hold this trip with such high regard because it had a perfect combination of city life as well as the experience of being in some of the purest natural settings that the world has to offer.
Usually when I have to go for a long drive, I feel rushed to get to my final destination in a timely fashion. I found that when I would travel around New Zealand, I wouldn't feel this urge to rush and would instead take my time to take in the scenery and see the sights.
So when you go to New Zealand, make sure to take your time, don't do too much planning, and make all the stops to ensure that you don't miss a thing.

Tiffany

Upgrade From Tourist to Traveler

Sometime around February or March my friend brought up the brilliant idea of going abroad. It was my junior year and I thought, "I have nothing to lose." Why not end my college career with a bang?

The past six months has been more than exploring a country and going to uni. Through TEAN they prepared an orientation that brought the students together and gave us a vast amount of knowledge about New Zealand, all while having fun in Fiji, to seeing a Māori cultural dance and white water rafting in Rotorua. TEAN kept coming through and during the semester our TEAN advisor at our university would still have several meet-ups and awesome excursions in our surprise.

New Zealand in general... is an incredible experience. Towards the end of my time there, I had found another place I could call home. My intentions to "go here" and "try that" didn't need an Instagram post every time. All I need was the memory of that moment. At the end, my time abroad was about growing the drive the see what the rest of the world has to offer.

Erin

A New Home

Living in Dunedin for four months was one of the easiest transitions I've ever gone through (easier than going to college!). With the help of TEAN, I knew so much about where I was going and how to navigate the city within a few weeks of being there. I also learned very quickly how to travel the country and did it almost every weekend! The South Island was perfect for me because of the endless hiking tracks, ski mountains, camp sites, bungy jumping, and breathtaking scenery around every corner. I also had the opportunity to visit three other countries (Australia, Fiji, and Tonga) and explore the majority of New Zealand was something most people weren't able to do in four months. The TEAN leaders were very helpful by emailing us often to check up, give travel suggestions, or let us know of any upcoming events. While going abroad was at first out of my comfort zone, I quickly settled in and still consider Dunedin to be my home.

Colin

Unbelievable Experience With TEAN

Going to New Zealand was the best life choice I have ever made. The Education Abroad Network is definitely the best program to go with - they were truly amazing. The staff is wonderful as well; they truly care about their student's abroad experience, no matter where they go. I would use TEAN again if I went abroad. The pre-semester trip to Fiji with TEAN was absolutely amazing. That was one of my favorite experiences. In terms of New Zealand, I loved it. It's such an amazing country. It's beautiful, safe, and easy to travel around. I now have so many memories that will remain with me forever. I met really spectacular people in my travels. Dunedin was such a fun city to study in; I can't wait to go back someday.

The Education Abroad Network is perfect! No improvements needed.
Haley

The Perfect College Experience

After having a rough time deciding where I wanted to study, I finally decided on going to the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand. It could not have been a better decision for me. Without a doubt it was the best semester of college thus far.
The city of Dunedin is great in and of itself. It is a college-town and thus is built perfectly for the college lifestyle. There is an endless array of museums, exploring the nearby parks and trails, or having fun downtown in the social scene. Although the city is large, it is extremely walkable. Furthermore, it is located right next to a harbor so if you want to sail or have fresh fish these can be easily found.
How they house students is a lot of fun. You have the opportunity to cook for yourself and live with around five other students. In addition, the other houses nearby become like family as well. The only downside to the housing is that there is little insulation and it becomes quite cold in the fall and winter. However, you learn to be best friends with your sleeping bag and everything is fine.
The university itself is phenomenal. There is an endless array of clubs and organizations you can join while there. There is no way you can be bored. In addition, the classes I had the chance to take were great. I would recommend taking a Maori class while there. When else will you have a chance to learn about the Maori people of New Zealand?
Lastly, the adventures that await you in the South Island are beyond comparison. You can visit the beach and then hike up a mountain into the snow in the same day if you really want to. Multi-day hikes in the wildnerness without cell-phone service, internet, or access to roads is the norm. Get ready to meet an array of adventurous, kind-hearted people from around the world! If you are a person who loves the outdoors, than Dunedin, New Zealand is the perfect place for you!

Choosing classes, suggestions about how hard the classes would be in comparison to American classes and suggestions about what classes students had enjoyed in the past would be helpful.
Possibly having a few more options for things the TEAN group in Dunedin could do as a group.
Offering rides to get to the airport when leaving the country at the end of the semester.

About The Education Abroad Network

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is a full-service international education provider specializing in immersive study and internship programs throughout Asia Pacific. Creating close partnerships the best universities in Australia, New Zealand and...