Study Abroad at Victoria University of Wellington in New Zealand

Wellington prides itself on welcoming people from around the world and providing an experience of a lifetime. New Zealand has an endless list of adventures awaiting any who dare to be bold.

As well as AACSB approved Business courses, Sciences, Architecture and Design, Education, Engineering, Health and Music, Victoria provides a wide variety of courses in NZ's largest Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences. Subjects popular with our Study Abroad students Maori/Pacific/NZ/Antarctic studies, Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Design and International Relations.

Located in the southern tip of New Zealand’s North Island, between a beautiful harbor and rolling green hills, the vibrant and cosmopolitan city of Wellington is the political, cultural and creative capital of New Zealand. Sign up with VUW today to make your trip to New Zealand one of a lifetime!

A direct enrollment option is available for students attending a non-affiliated university.

• Study in NZ's political, cultural and creative capital!
  • Choose from over 120 different subject areas
  • Take part in the Victoria International Leadership Programme (Service & Leadership Programme)
  • Join the hiking/tramping and club and see more of NZ!

Depending, courses are 15/20 points. The normal thing is to choose 3 or 4 depending on the number of points it has. So around 50/60 points would be the normal thing
The only really fun/ interesting lighter load class that I took was MAOR 123. It was super great to learn about the history of the Maori people and New Zealand in general. There are tons of international students in it and I would highly recommend it.
The hall is around 4.000 NZ $ and you have to pay it all together at once before coming and obviously the flight is also a bit expensive but once here you won't spend much. Traveling is cheap, food is at european price more or less... But there is always a cheap option. It depends on you. I live in a catered hall so food is included so i don't spend more than 50$ per month.

Sylvia

My Experience At VUW

Wellington is a wonderful city full of life, culture, and lot's to do, see and explore. VWU is run differently from my home school in Canada, there are fewer assignments, but each is worth a lot more. I found most lectures pointless because we were not tested on the material that was went over in class. It was much more 'self-taught' then I'm used to, which made it hard to find motivation to go to class. Overall the school was decent, but I would not pick VUW for its academics.

Claire

Claire Treu in Welly

School is much more challenging than my home university in the states. It seems that professors are less likely to hand out A's to hardworking students. The housing situation and accessibility of the whole city has been incredible in helping my study experience and also helping in balancing school and travel/exploration. Victoria university is a big school with a small feel. The cafe's around campus make studying throughout the day fun and exciting. The library is easy to use and accessible, although it did take a little for me to figure out how to use it. All in all the transition was made easier by friends who came abroad with me in my program and all of us working together to adjust and embrace unusual situations.

Emily

Having the time of my life

New Zealand has proven to be such a unique place to spend time in! With interesting classes and lots of things to do, places to explore, cultures to learn about and more I have had an extremely positive experience at Victoria. I also love how the environment around Wellington encourages you to go explore and try new things all over the country and beyond! The city is also a great international city and I have found it hard to become very homesick because there is so much to enjoy here. My favorite activity so far was taking a camper van with some friends all over the south island for a week during the mid-semester break and getting to explore some of the most beautiful natural sights I have ever seen. The Milford Sound and Fiordland National Park was definitely my favorite destination on that journey.
One of the things I have found very useful here is trying new foods! The cuisine here has much more of an Asian influence than what I see at home, and really getting to taste the flavors from the Asia-Pacific has actually helped me assimilate into a healthy diet and lifestyle without breaking the bank. As well as going to the farmers market every weekend to get fresh produce, I have felt more at home while also being adventurous.
Overall, I know for a fact that my experiences in New Zealand have changed my life. I feel like I have become more confident in myself and in my studies, I have learned a lot of new things, and expanded my horizons and learned a lot about the Maori culture, which is truly one of a kind. I feel more globally aware and I am getting more and more excited to travel the globe more in the future. I will be going home without regrets!

Can't think of anything right now. The Vic International staff is super welcoming and helpful.
Michael

Wisconsin to Wellington

It was really great to have a chance to go to such a far away continent. As part of my major, I will be seeing many different nations over the course of my study, but I chose to take this program specifically because I saw it as an opportunity to really test myself and go as far away from home as physically possible, while still being somewhat culturally and socially similar to home - a bit of a training situation, if you wish.

The campus of Victoria University is varied, modern, and inviting. Amenities are available to students around every corner from quiet areas to study, food and snacks, or even pleasant places to hang out and relax. I have no complaints, and only compliments to give about the infrastructure of VUW as well as the city it resides in, Wellington.

Wellington itself, despite the capital of New Zealand, will seem quite small to students familiar with the city life. If you are willing to walk for a bit, you could easily make it across the town in an afternoon, though admittedly a bus or taxi is recommended to make it past the massive Mt. Victoria cutting the city roughly in half. There's plenty to do in the city, and the weather is consistently mild (though when it rains, expect it to continue for days at a time!) The only real negative I can focus on is that, as far as I can tell, buildings aren't very insulated against the cold, so when it DOES get a bit chilly there is little to stop your bedroom from dropping to surprisingly low temperatures overnight - bring an extra blanket!

New Zealand and its people is a beautiful nation, and those inclined would be happy to discover that one can drive a car across most of the northern island in a single day, but that day will be spent in perpetual awe at the sights abound in the landscape. If you go here, you MUST take a roadtrip of some sort, no matter how brief - the destination doesn't even matter! Just pick a highway and stick to it until you want a break, then find something interesting to stick to!

All in all I would highly recommend anyone who has the option to visit this country to do so, and to use Victoria University as an avenue for the stay - they made every effort possible to keep my stay a pleasant one, and frankly the dorms are almost as good as my house.

OK seriously who forgot to insulate these buildings? It gets chilly at night!
Andrea

Fantastic Place

I could not be happier I studied abroad in New Zealand. From the Tararuas to Queenstown and Wanaka to Tongariro, the outdoor opportunities for tramping are limitless. New Zealand is both a comfortable and challenging place to study abroad with some surprising differences from home. Victoria has a very strong academic program with a very close community of exchange students. I would strongly recommend any student sho loves being outdoors to come to New Zealand.

Gabriel

Vic Uni is Awesome!

As an America, I was a little hesitant about how much I'd fit into an international university. But as time went on and although the education system is more independent than in America, I found that Victoria is a great university. The Hub is always a great place to study and socialize and the campus is clean and welcoming. Being an American the most important thing to note is that independent studying is crucial to success in courses at Vic, but the material isn't much more difficult than what I was already used to. It's so nice to have experienced a new educational culture and I'll bring back to America a fresh and eager drive to study on my own and get better grades. I highly recommend studying abroad at Victoria!

Johanna

Studying in Wellington

New Zealand is a beautiful country with friendly people and many opportunities. I feel at home in Wellington, which is a small, creative city where it is easy to be queer and vegan. Victoria University is a much bigger and better structured school than what I am used to, with clubs and events for all kinds of students. Wellington is based in the middle of New Zealand, which makes it easy to travel and explore the rest of the country on weekends and holidays.

Be sure that there is no mould in the uni halls.
William

I’m in love with New Zealand

This study abroad experience has been the best experience of my life. I have always wanted to travel and this allowed for me to to travel out of the United States for the first time ever. I went to all of the places I wanted to go: Roy’s peak, Milford sound, mt cook, Abel Tasman and bay of islands. I even bungee jumped! This has truly been a life changing experience that I will never forget. I wish to come back some day

Eleanor

Study Abroad

My study abroad experience has been amazing. There has been so much support from the moment I landed in New Zealand. The Kelburn campus is great and i love the unique view you get from the library. My modules have been well co-ordinated and enjoyable. I will be sad to leave the beautiful city of Wellington. This programme has allowed me to develop myself as a person by taking me out of my comfort zone and in tern my confidence has grown and allowed me to meet some wonderful people.

The one improvement would be the lab work for my modules could be a little more hands on and challenging.
Nick

A True Kiwi Experience

Coming to UVic was a stark contrast to my home university; I went from a small, suburban university to one 10x as big in the heart of one of New Zealand's biggest cities. I came here to study biology, and see the approaches to conservation in a country with so many challenges, and so many unique species at risk. Overall, I would say that the classroom was not where I learned the most during my time here. I was able to interact with so many people, whether local or international, who were all able to give me new perspectives on life around the globe. Although the classes I took greatly influenced my education, and were definitely worth waking up early for, the exposure to an entirely new set of cultures, values, and experiences is what makes coming to this small corner of the world such an incredible time.

Plus, Wellington is such a great city - seaside views, and enough going on to never be bored is a winning combination!

There is a high likelihood that international students will not be able to get into a campus housing building, and not just because the deadline to apply is many months in advance. The university does have a system to help find flats available, but to me it proved to be very unreliable and not worth my time. More resources for where to find available flats would have been very helpful, especially considering that this is the most important part about travelling.
Andrea

GO TO NEW ZEALAND!

New Zealand is the most magical country, and if you love hiking and getting outdoors this is the place for you. Absolutely go to Wanaka and Queenstown. The Tararuas provide some really diverse hiking on the North Island. Wellington itself is a really lovely place to live. Some students who study abroad in places like Mexico or Thailand experience some strong culture shock, but living in New Zealand provided a really easy transition with just the right amount of challenge. It's similar to the U.S. in many ways, but there are also some significant differences. Couldn't be happier I studied abroad here.

None
Camillo

Unique and Peaceful Experience!

I am from Italy and I had to opportunity to study one semester of my degree abroad. Among my possible choices, I picked Victoria University of Wellington in New Zealand, and after 4 months spent here I can say that I definitely made the right decision! In general the university's environment has been super friendly and very "international": the staff did everything to make us feel at ease. It's very easy to make new international friendships, especially if you decide to live in University Hall accommodations, who provides for you many occasions (parties and events) for meeting students coming from all over the world! The only problem I had consisted in adapting myself to the academic system and to the different examinations and classes methods, since the Italian-European system is much more different. However, VUW provides for a lot of workshops, where international students can learn how to write essays, make references etc. Wellington is very quiet and peaceful, like all the cities in NZ, that is why it is highly recommended to make new friends, otherwise it could become boring. In general, I can say that I will never forget my experience here and I highly recommend it to all students looking for challenging exchange semesters abroad!

I don't think it needs improvement.
Michelle

Semester Abroad in Wellington

My time in New Zealand was probably the best experience of my life, and I'm already dying to go back! Victoria was a great university, and I enjoyed the courses I took there, especially Plant Biology! I was lucky to live in Uni Hall, which was only a 5 minute walk from campus, and it was really nice to live independently in a flat (well, with flatmates of course) for the first time. I didn't quite participate in as many school activities as I would have liked, but I tried to explore as much of the campus as I could, such as trying the different little restaurants and exploring the art gallery. It was also really nice to have an entire two weeks of break, as I took that time to go on an amazing road trip in the South Island. I was also quite prone to injury, and student health and the physiotherapy center on campus were very helpful, as was the general healthcare policies of the country.

Denise

My Review

It was a really interesting and a new experience to study at a university that uses completely different teaching formats and contents. Everybody was very supportive and helped each other out whenever someone needed help. That was probably what I liked the most. I felt welcome here right from the start.
I wished that the Tutors would have had more experience. Most of the times they are just normal Bachelor or Master students that hardly know more about architecture than I do. So, when I had a question other students couldn't answer, the Tutor couldn't either. The projects of the students and their learning process would be improved a lot if working architects would Tutor them. Universities, which do that, are normally higher in ranking as well.

Construction and technical knowledge should be taught right from the start. The students here have no idea of how to build a proper functioning house. The have a great knowledge in all the rendering programs, which of course sells good, but they should rather concentrate on how to build a proper house. This would improve future housing condition in my opinion.
Hannah

Semester at Victoria

Studying abroad has been the best decision have made for both my academic and personal success. The reason that this experience has been so successful is because of the opportunities and experiences that I have had here in Wellington and at Victoria University. This city's atmosphere has allowed me to experience many new things and has helped me to become a more independent person. Also, at Victoria, I have been able to manage course while being able to travel and see New Zealand. I have had the fortune of meeting many wonderful people from all over the world and making life long friends!

About Victoria University of Wellington