Victoria University of Wellington - Graduate Studies programs in New Zealand

Study at NZ's #1 University for Research Quality* in the World's Most Liveable City!**

Victoria offers wide range of graduate programs in more than 100 specialist subjects. Some programs are research-based, many Professional programs and others involve studying advanced courses. Many Master's programs can be completed in one year.

Examples of One Year (12 months) Coursework Master's Programs:
- Master of Design Technology or Design Innovation
- Master of Architectural Science

*PBRF 2015, **Deutsche Bank 2017/18

• Study at NZ's #1 University for Research Quality
  • Ranked in the top 2% of universities in the world (QS World Rankings)
  • Master’s degrees in more than 100 specialist subjects. One year Taught Master's programs available.
  • Triple Crown Accredited Business School - EQUIS, AMBA, AACSB
  • Victoria is home to 43 Research Centres & Institutes

Jacqueline

Adventures of a First Year

I am from the USA, studying music composition at Victoria University’s New Zealand School Of Music. I’m coming near the end of my first of three years here at Victoria, and it’s been an incredible experience!!! I’ve met amazing people - both lecturers/faculty and students, embraced a new and beautiful country, and have learned so much this year. This first year has been an amazing journey.

For starters, Wellington is a fantastic city for Uni students generally, and Victoria University’s location here is truly ideal. You can get practically anywhere you need to by foot, and should you need to travel further, public transportation options are abundant. There are plenty of scenic places to go as well as shops, cafes and restaurants students frequent. I have loved the flexibility I have to get up and go whenever I need to and get everywhere I need to easily. There are, however, LOTS of hills and if you’re not accustomed to that (I wasn’t at first) it can be daunting. But you get used to the terrain very quickly - just take it slow in the beginning!!

Victoria has multiple campuses in Wellington, and I spend most of my time at Kelburn. The facilities at the school have really impressed me - they’ve modernized different sections among older buildings that have been there since the start of the school’s existence and it makes for a great atmosphere. Though the campus is big enough for the many students it houses, it’s still quite easy to find your way around once you familiarize yourself with it.

I fully recommend taking advantage of VUW’s halls of residence for your first year in Welly, especially if you’re new to the area. I’m at an alcohol-free section of a catered hall and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my experience living here.

I know I’m just scratching the surface of the good things I have to say about Victoria - but I’m truly glad I made the decision to come here for university, and am genuinely looking forward to my second year!!

Maja

Semester abroad (Masters)

Wellington is indeed a very windy city, which I came to realize when I first got here. It is not as warm as I would have thought at first. It is, however, a lovely city with loads to experience. The university is very helpful and makes a good effort to meet your needs when you are here. Since I am a masters student I had a difficult time finding the relevant courses, and I still don´t think they fit as well as I had hoped. Therefore I feel I got more out of the experience, rather than the academic outcome. Housing can be difficult if you are looking for a flat outside of uni, took me a while before I ended up in university hall in the end. Wellington is easy to get out and about from, so I highly recommend to do some traveling while you are here.

It is more aimed towards bachelor degree students. Not many students taking a masters degree within the same field.
Alexander

Life-changing experience at Victoria University

I completed a Master of Arts degree in Media Studies at Victoria University of Wellington and it was a fantastic experience which has irrevocably changed the direction of my life and forced me to reassess my values.

The University is large, but the relatively small size of the campus and the city of Wellington makes it feel like you aren't totally lost in the crowd. I experienced some health challenges while studying and everybody was incredibly helpful during that experience. I was able to make changes to my visa, file multiple complicated insurance claims, and work with my professors to adjust deadlines and academic expectations. This was a stressful time made easier by these people.

My academic program required a lot of research and the library and my professors were real assets in helping me get through it. If you do come to VUW for graduate work I'd recommend contacting your professors ahead of time to state your interests and passions, people are really relaxed and welcome proactive outreach students.

As far as lifestyle, Wellington and New Zealand are second to none. I became hooked on the super strong coffee, endless variety of outdoor activities, and the laid back attitude of Wellington. One thing which was not so great was housing. New Zealand houses are often not insulated, which sounds barbaric to people from colder climates like myself. It can be hard to find a house that is suitable, so once you decide to go to New Zealand look early and use social media to find good places. Cost of living is often complained about, but I found if you are a bit flexible with what you eat/purchase you can get by pretty easily (I'm also from a more expensive area of the U.S. so take my comments with a grain of salt).

I have absolutely no regrets about coming to Victoria, and I'm happy to answer any questions about it. I'm still in constant contact with friends I made there and New Zealand will never leave me, which is really awesome.

Potentially more support for finding off-campus housing. It can be a real struggle.
Christopher

Go to Victoria

I did my Master's in computer science abroad at Victoria University of Wellington. The classes and professors were the best of several universities I have attended. I met amazing friends, wonderful industry contacts, and Victoria helped me land my dream job! New Zealand is a beautiful country to explore and live in. After graduation I became a resident of NZ, and never looked back! Definitely check this place out for your study abroad plans.

About Victoria University of Wellington

Located in the southern tip of New Zealand’s North Island, between a beautiful harbor and rolling green hills, the vibrant and cosmopolitan city of Wellington is the political, cultural and creative capital of New Zealand.

Victoria offers a...