Study Water Resource Management & Sustainable Practices in Peru

Home to a unique culture rooted in water & agricultural foundations of the ancient Inca empire, recently ranked as top global culinary destination, and one of the 8 World Wonders, Peru is undoubtedly the destination for sustainable travel. Combined with the nation’s historical technologies for water initiatives and resource management, our exclusive facility access allows students and participants alike to dive into Peruvian culture and education like never before. Focused on community and engagement, students participate in developing sustainable implementations with a local elementary school, participate on bucket-list adventure excursions, and build global awareness, Peru is the ideal destination for students passionate about the mission toward global water stewardship and sustainability solutions.

Katalina

Take me back!

The GREEN program has granted me the opportunity to create memories of a lifetime! From adventure, education, and connection with nature and people. This was and will be one of the best times of my life. Being a native Spanish speaker in Peru made my experience all the more authentic. My family being originally from Mexico allowed me to make connections in another country that made it feel like home. The program did an amazing job of immersing us in the culture and daily lives of a Peruvian. It was a very short 10 days but everyday was filled with excitement. From small things like learning about local bread, to hiking the ancient ruins of the Incas such as Tipon and Machu Picchu. The fun did not stop there! White water rafting, zip lining, and salsa dancing. Since I took my first over seas trip I knew traveling was part of my soul, and being able to learn and experience Peru through The GREEN program only reinforced my love for travel and education. No place is without its problems, but within these problems lies beauty that is just waiting to be discovered and shared with the world. I hope to one day go back to Peru and share my knowledge about sustainability, and enact changes that help communities similar to those in my city, and our sister city Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. The class was great, food was to die for, adventure was breathtaking, and memories lasting a lifetime. Thank you TGP for this amazing life experience!

Better structure of capstone projects to be inclusive of introverts and extroverts. Possibly look into brainstorming activities that will allow interaction for both types of people.
Benjamin

Incredible Experience in Peru

The trip lasted only 10 days, but a thrilling and transformative 10 days! When arriving in Cusco on the first day, I was exhausted from traveling and began to have minor altitude sickness symptoms. Nonetheless, I had a great time getting to know new people and exploring the beautiful city! Everyone was welcoming, and I learned so much from the engaging lectures and field trips.

We spent several days away from Cusco—visiting a lake, driving through the Andes Mountains, stopping by shops/museums, exploring Machu Picchu (including a hike), relaxing in a hot springs pool, going zip lining and river rafting, and more. One of my favorite memories was rock climbing beside a waterfall. Towards the end, we did service projects in a rural community. Overall, I loved the variety of Peruvian food, music, dancing, languages, traditions, and history!

I believe that anyone can benefit from this program. As a meteorology and atmospheric science major, I focused on the effects of climate change on hydroelectric power and, more broadly, the environment and society. Others looked at irrigation in agriculture or river water pollution for their capstone projects. We looked at the interplay of the government, economy, society, and environment. The discussions we had were truly profound, and I gained a better understanding of certain global issues. Each person in my group (now friends) had interesting backgrounds, stories, and ideas to share!

Don't expect to have everything planned out. We were usually told about the next day's activities the evening before. For me, this made the trip more exciting and memorable. However, be prepared to take many awesome photos and videos! Even though I didn't get academic credit or full funding for this program, I think the experience was well worth it!

By allowing more time to work on capstone projects and perhaps more opportunities to converse with the locals.
Shelby

Best Choice I Ever Made!

Okay this is gonna be cheesy but it's from the heart lol

Before the Green Program, I always dreamed of traveling one day but it seemed impossible since I barely traveled outside of my hometown.

Not only did The Green Program provide me a golden ticket to make my dreams come true but they gave me every resource to become successful not only in the workforce but in life. This program gave me a beautiful perspective of people and the environment everywhere. They gave me the confidence I needed and now I feel 100% capable of traveling anywhere in the world and to places I thought were once impossible.

Thank you to The Green Program for the memories and the amazing experiences. Thank you for making my dream a reality!

Possibly more scholarship opportunities but I know they are already working on that.
Micaela

Peru Winter 2016 - An educational adventure of a life time

I am so happy I decided to participate in the GREEN Program. I was nervous to travel alone to a different country with people I didn't know, but it was such a good experience that changed my life. I learned so much and from the classes but even more from the hands on projects that went with it. I made new friends and had a blast the whole trip. I fell in love with the country and saw incredible sights. I ate delicious new foods and was immersed in the culture. This is such a great program for anyone in the environmental field!

More financial aid through schools, it was expensive.

About The GREEN Program

The GREEN Program (TGP) serves to bridge the gap between traditional textbook learning and career development for positive change through our short-term, accredited, experiential education programs abroad. With the launch of the SDGs, we are fusing...