CISabroad - Summer in Peru

Are you ready for a summer like no other in the Andes? On our Summer in Peru program, you’ll live and study in Qos’o, the Quechua name for Cusco. This World Heritage city is known as the hub of modern indigenous culture in Peru. The city was recently designated the historical capital of the country for its glorious past as the center of Incan civilization. Its colonial architecture and history-filled streets are yours to explore, as are the nearby sights of the incredibly beautiful Sacred Valley of Peru. On our Summer in Peru program, you’ll take innovative classes at the fantastic Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola, all while improving your Spanish and widening your horizons.

• Mix of ancient Andean culture with modern conveniences
  • Easy access to the beautiful Sacred Valley with ruins, market towns, hiking trails, and more
  • Choice between a homestay or dorm-style apartments
  • Inexpensive Andean delicacies, including local specialty cuy (guinea pig!)
  • Colorful indigenous and religious festivals

Jessica

Great summer in Cusco

I had an awesome time studying in Cusco for 5 weeks. I received all the support which I needed. I especially appreciated the easy and free access to medical services, although I was blessed to not have to use them.
I want students to know that staying with a host family is totally the way to go, unless partying all night is your thing. My classmates who stayed in the hotel did not have the same kind of immersive experience as I did, and I dont think they felt as welcome in Cusco. They also ended up spending A LOT more money on food. Staying with a host family is awesome because you get to talk to them every day, have them there to support you, and you get to try all the different kinds of food that they make.

Some of the online info was incorrect. The online listing said that lunches were not included, but my host family graciously fed me lunch every day. This is very important in Cusco because lunch is really dinner, and dinner is a small meal more like a night time snack.
Also, stating what medical services are covered by the insurance in a simple manner would attract more people to the program.
Kylee

Mass confusion

All of the students in my program are confused about what is going to happen and when. It is very hard to plan our own excursions when we don’t even know when the program excursions are. Communication needs to be a higher priority. I have a lot of fun though and would definitely come back. The housing situation is a little stressful too because when we first arrived I was one of 9 international students in the house. It is very impersonal.

A solid schedule would be much appreciated.
Response from CISabroad

We really appreciate your feedback, Kylee. While we try to align our students' expectations with program services and support, the oftentimes less formal and predictable nature of some program institutions and locations can feel different from some norms. We believe you are fully within your rights to expect more advance notice of program activities and we'll work to improve such communications. It's great to see that overall you really value your experience in Cusco!

About CISabroad

CISabroad is committed to providing the best overall value in study and internship abroad opportunities. CISabroad programs are affordable and specialize in providing quality education and support throughout your study or internship abroad experience...