Scotland: St Andrews - Undergraduate Courses

Live and study in a medieval city and centuries-old university, all while enjoying Scottish culture and everyday life in a charming seaside college town. St Andrews is situated just north of Edinburgh and includes wonderful old buildings, city walls, shops, and houses of stone. While the street plan is still medieval, there are excellent road and rail connections to the rest of the United Kingdom. Unique university traditions such as Raisin Monday, the May Dip, and the iconic red academic gown are yours to fully experience in addition to modern clubs and societies, elegant balls, and traditional Scottish dances (ceilidhs). In this ancestral home of golf, you can play all seven world-renowned golf courses in town (including The Old Course) at a discounted rate. St Andrews is also the alma mater of Prince William and Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge.

• Study at the oldest university in Scotland and the third oldest university in the English-speaking world
  • Benefit from an overall academic staff to student ratio of 1:12
  • Join in a range of extracurricular activities and over 100 student societies
  • Live in a charming city with medieval architecture and easy travel access to all of Scotland, Wales, and England
  • Play all seven world-renowned golf courses in town at a discounted student rate in the ancestral home of golf

Caroline

Studying In St. Andrews

I spent a semester in St. Andrews wandering the adorable streets and studying in the cutest coffee shops. The classes were interactive and challenging in a way that made me grow my academic knowledge and made me a better student. I got to travel around Scotland via train and car, exploring all of the amazing landmarks and historical sites that have shaped the life of the Scots. I had the most amazing time on the field trips put on by USAC, and I was able to make lifelong friends with others in this program also at St. Andrews. The leaders of the trips hired by USAC were charming and engaging, letting us play our own music in the vans and giving us insider tips about how best to travel around Scotland. My accommodation was in university housing; I was in the dorm St. Salvator's which just so happens to be the same dorm that Prince William and Princess Kate stayed in while they were at St. Andrews, so that was pretty amazing. Not to mention all of the outstanding events the hall put on including a Harry Potter themed dinner, a ball, and hall sports! I had the time of my life in St. Andrews and am already planning my trip back to Scotland! I 10/10 recommend studying in this unbelievably gorgeous and inviting country!!

The first field trip I took as part of the USAC program was quite disorganised. The leader of the trip was not the same person as we had been told in the emails, so we were all a little confused at first. Also, upon arrival to St. Andrews, the communication between USAC and me was pretty much nonexistent. I was fine with this as I was able to gain a lot of independence and figure things out for myself, but it would have been nice to have a little bit more of a connection with the USAC employee about getting around St. Andrews and my resources there.
Shylie

Time of my life

I had the best time in St. Andrews. The academic aspect of studying abroad was very challenging but I have learned a lot. Before coming abroad I heard USAC was very accommodating and was like a concierge service for you abroad. I was told I would be picked up from the airport and if I got sick I would have someone to contact. However, I rarely heard from my advisor. I had a problem when I was coming abroad and when I called my advisor I learned she had left town and was no receiving calls the entire time I would be traveling and moving into housing. When I had to apply for a visa and needed questions answered she often told me she wasn’t sure what the correct answer was and when I researched he question myself the answer she had given me was wrong. I would expect a study abroad advisor to at least have more knowledge in applying for a visa. I highly recommend coming to ST. Andrews, but I do not necessarily think you should pay the extra price for USAC.

Have the advisors more involved with the students. The advisors should be in contact with students regularly. I would suggest they learn more about visas and immigration, and be accessible during their programs time of travel.