Experience Senegal Program with ACI Baobab - Faculty Led

Experience Senegal Program with ACI Baobab - Faculty Led

ACI Baobab's Experience Senegal Program is aimed at helping students strengthen their cross-cultural competency and language skills, all while immersing themselves in Senegalese culture first hand through homestays, independent research, small courses, and excursions.

We accept independent learners and faculty-led groups from both universities and high schools.

The ACI Baobab staff is extremely welcoming and enthusiastic about our mission and work closely with university staff, professors, and/or individuals to create a customized study abroad program that fits your learning goals.

Faculty Led
African Studies
Cultural Studies
Health Sciences
Liberal Arts
Sustainable Development

Yes! You can do individual one-on-one courses through ACI Baobab and customize your time there however you want. Their courses are very flexible and the staff is super friendly and easy to get along with. Also, when I went with my college group, we actually had students from 19 - 60 in our classes!

Best month abroad

Studying Abroad in Senegal with ACI Baobab was one of the best decisions I made in college. It gave me a greater understanding of full cultural immersion by living with a host family that only spoke French and Wolof. Understanding the culture, food, and be a student at the same time gave me more than I could learn in a book or by watching movies. It was tough using my rusty French but once I was there I could find myself speaking more fluently. The excursions and trips were eye opening as well and gave me a better understanding of daily life in Senegal as well as religion and customs.

I wished I could have stayed longer.

Jessie Beck

Fantastic and Immersive Study Abroad Program

I spent one month studying Wolof, French, and cultural studies at ACI Baobab through George Mason University in the summer of 2007, and it was one of the most fantastic abroad experiences I ever could have hoped for.

The staff at ACI Baobab was incredibly supportive, our classes were well run, and we hardly ever were lacking for great activities, excursions, or courses.

Our host families were fantastic as well -- I ended up being paired with a family that had two daughters my age and a 4-year old nephew (who, by the way, kicked my butt at dancing... naturally). In true Senegalese style, they welcomed me into their family and -- years later -- hope to see them again some day :)

Also, their cultural training before the start of our homestay was incredibly helpful and just another reason why I'd rank them as supportive and fantastic with their academics!

Hard to know at this point if this was part of our orientation or not, but a little run down on how to deal with *ahem* stomach issues (before they happened) would have been helpful.

About ACI Baobab Center

The ACI Baobab Center, located in the suburbs of Dakar, Senegal, was established in 1984 by two former Peace Corps volunteers to provide exchange students with a high quality educational and cultural experience. We offer homestays, language courses,...