Study Abroad in Stellenbosch, South Africa: Semester or Academic Year

Top of Lion's Head
Top of Lion's Head
Visiting the Southern most tip of the African Continent
Playing with the elephants of Knysa elephant park
Riding in ostrich in Cango
an awesome aquarium in Cape Town
Safari
Boulder Beach

Spend a semester or academic year in Stellenbosch with AIFS. Earn up to 15 credits studying at the University of Stellenbosch. Courses are taught in English.

Choose your course of study on the Full Curriculum Program. Focus on South African history and culture through the General Education Program. Volunteer opportunities and a Learning for Sustainable Community Engagement Program are also options.

Live in the student resident hall at the heart of campus life.

You’ll enjoy cultural and social activities such as:
• Sporting events
• Beach excursions
• Trips to local craft and food markets
• Vineyard tour
• Hiking trips
• 6-day trip along the famous Garden Route
• Day trips to Cape Town, Robben Island, Cape of Good Hope Nature Preserve and Boulder’s Beach (home of 3,000 African penguins).
Optional excursions include a 3-day trip to the Cederberg Mountains and a 5-day visit to Addo Elephant Park and

• 6-day Garden Route Tour
  • Day trip to Cape of Good Hope and Boulders Beach
  • Earn up to 15 credits and transcript issued by Stellenbosch University
  • Volunteer and service learning opportunities
  • Meal allowance and group dinners

AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships
AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships, Grants & Financial Support

We believe a study abroad experience is an essential component of well-rounded university education and we are committed to providing financial assistance to as many students as possible in support of their goal to study abroad.

$500 - $5,000

When I went I used Facebook to meet up with the others who were in my program. If they search "South Africa Spring 2016" into Facebook they will probably find their program, or another program around them and can join the group there. The cost of living there was very cheap when I was there a few years ago when $1 was equal to about 7 rand. Right now $1 is almost 15 rand so it is probably even...

Sarah

South Africa will change your life!

The best part of this program was our onsite director, Hestea. She is a Stellenbosch local and took us on excursions to see the most beautiful parts of her hometown. Being able to travel with her was a unique opportunity that added so much value to all of our trips. The academic life in Stellenbosch is very different from a standard university in the United States. Classes meet once a week, and there is usually only a paper and a final. It takes a lot of independent commitment to make sure you do well. Class discussions were interesting because there are students from all over the world. This made group projects a challenge, especially with some language barriers, but I always looked forward to gaining new perspectives from my international peers. I liked that our class schedules made it easy to have time for seeing more of the town and taking trips to Cape Town (about 40 minutes away). Stellenbosch is a fun town for college students. There's always something to see or do, and it's fairly easy to navigate. I enjoyed walking or cycling most places, but uber is also a very affordable option. The housing situation looks different each term depending on how big the group of international students is. I had a great experience with housing. I lived in an apartment with 3 other girls from the United States, and we had plenty of space. It was cool to live in a building with other international students, because I made connections from all over the world. It did make it more difficult, however, to connect with local South African students. Still very doable, but it's definitely something you have to seek out for yourself! There is so much diversity in South Africa, and I'm thankful for the friends I made there. Can't wait to visit again soon!

More opportunities to connect with local South African students.
Molly

Stellenbosch, South Africa

My experience in Stellenbosch, South Africa with AIFS was one of the most influential moments of my life so far. My time there was a really pivotal moment in both my personal life and career plans. There were many opportunities for myself and others to learn about and experience the rich culture. South Africa has eleven national languages, so it was so different and great to meet people who spoke completely different languages from town to town. Living there, we were able to experience the every day lives of South Africans and feel extremely welcome there. We also experienced the diversity that is present in an individual town and from town to town across the country. It was extremely important to me to be able to travel to different parts of the country and learn about their culture. This experience allowed me to be immersed in their culture and be challenged. It allowed me to grow as an individual and I believe that it presented me with a purpose in life that I plan to pursue.

Read my full story
Maya

It's the Little Things

After I began to settle into my new surroundings at Stellenbosh (or as the locals call it "Stellies") I began to start searching for a club or an activity to join to get more involved on campus. I decided to join the surfing club and I am so glad that I did. We had lessons every Thursday evening for about a month and they provided us with surf boards and wet suits. I live in Rhode Island so water sports are almost second nature to me, this does not mean I am any good at surfing but I like to think I have gained some experience now looking back at it. All the students piled in a bus and we drove about 20 minutes to strand beach. The scenery was gorgeous with mountains on either side. We usually finished up right as the sun begun to set and it made for the most beautiful, perfect ending to the day. I still remember catching some baby waves getting up with this cheesy grin on my face and everything just became so surreal to me how fortunate and greatful I am for such an amazing opportunity to study in South Africa.

If I could improve this program I would make for more opportunities for the international students to interact with the local students. After living and traveling with only other Americans in my program I think I would of been more immerged in the culture if I was able to live or learn with the local students.
Catherine

the most magical country in the world

I chose to go to South Africa after always dreaming to make it to Africa in my lifetime. Now I am so in love with that country and wish I could share it with all of my family and friends. The culture is awesome, it's literally the most beautiful place in the world, there are tons of things to do in Stellenbosch and you are just a short train ride from Cape Town for weekend trips. If you love adventure there is plenty of hiking around and different trips offered from Cape Town throughout the country. I was there in the summer and it only rained maybe 5 times in the entire 6 months I was there. The accommodation was awesome and was even better than back in the states (I had my own bathroom and a wonderful cleaning lady). Mama H provides you with nothing but the best support, and is there for any question or qualm you may have about anything. You can drink the tap water which I was surprised about and there is no danger of malaria or any other diseases unless you travel. Stellenbosch and Cape Town are very safe as long as you practice the same safety measures that you would if you would visit a strange place or a big city at home.

I honestly never had any issues with my program or wished it to be anything else than what it was.
Lexi

Why Go Anywhere Else?

South Africa was the most incredible experience of my life! The people are amazing, the food is great (best sushi), the trips allow you to do everything from jumping off the worlds highest bungee bridge to seeing the big 5 up close, and these are just the trips included in the program. At the end of the semester a number of us were able to travel with our closest friends! Five friends and I went backpacking and drove from South Africa to Botswana to camp on the Okacango Delta to Zambia to see Victoria Falls and back! In South Africa you'll get to experience the best wine tasting and student life as well as daily trips to the beach, hiking, shark cage diving, paragliding, shopping, and so much more! You'll make life long friends and you may end up going back after graduation like myself! Trust me, you do not want to miss out on this!

Cheaper flight! Haha :)
kirstenewee

Best Experience of My Life!

This was one of the best experiences of my life! I got outside of my comfort zone, experienced new people and places, and met life long friends! I would not trade this experience for anything in the world!

More chances to meet local students
Daniela

The best experience of my life!

The AIFS Study Abroad program in Stellenbosch was the best decision I've ever made! I had a wonderful time, made great friends, and created so many memories. South Africa is the most beautiful place on earth and I can't wait until the day I can go back. The program coordinators and directors were great and really helpful during my stay. All of the staff was wonderful and so easy to get along with! The living situation works out perfectly too and allows you to make close relationships with those you are living with, but also have your own space. Stellenbosch is an amazing University and there are so many ways to get involved in regular student life while you are there. Overall, I wouldn't trade my experience for anything, I would only do it all over again!

I wish that after exams there were only 2 weeks left until returning home just because the weather is getting colder and traveling for so long is expensive.
Mary

My Experience in Stellenbosch

My experience in the Learning for Sustainable Community Engagement program at the University of Stellenbosch was truly life-changing. Our classes were informative and interesting, and our time spent in the community was invaluable. We really came together as a group and formed lifelong friendships.

The residence in which we stayed was broken into while we were staying there, and some of the students' belongings were stolen. Heightened security may be something to consider.