iXperience Study/Intern/Explore Abroad

2019 Applications Open!

2019 applications are open. Get yours in early and benefit from premium room choices, and additional gifts.

iXperience is an innovative career-accelerating program founded by Yale graduates. With campuses in four beautiful cities, students who are accepted into our program take immersive classes on high-demand skills.

Courses instructed by industry experts include Full Stack Coding, Data Science, Product Management, Investment Finance, Virtual Reality, Blockchain for Business, Digital Design and, Management Consulting.

After a 2 week intensive course, you will be placed in a 4-week internship, with an influential company where you'll flex your skills and beef up your resume, all while supported and upskilled by your teaching team and mentors.

We don’t just teach students and send them on their way. We're creating a movement: a network of like-minded people who share an incredible experience abroad, all serious about bettering themselves. Today this network is 1000-strong, with alumni working at firms including Google, Bain, McKinsey, Facebook, and Morgan Stanley.

• 2-weeks of intensive classroom learning taught by industry professionals
  • 4 weeks interning with a top-tier company designed to give you real-world experience and beef up your resume
  • Cultural and personal exploration in a vibrant city with arranged excursions
  • Access to a powerful network of alumni – many of whom work at big companies like Google, Apple, Uber, Bain and more
  • Ongoing support and access to the tools you need to succeed in your chosen field

Hi, great question! Unfortunately due to visa restrictions, these internships are unpaid. However you will gain priceless experience through interning overseas :)

Diyan

The greatest four weeks of my life

Doing Ixperience in Lisbon was truly the greatest four weeks of my life. You are surrounded by brilliant, career-driven students who constantly challenge one another in the classroom and then exploring Lisbon in summer together in between makes all the hard work worth it.

The course I took (management consulting) is intense and fast-paced but I was so surprised at the quality of work I produced when put under pressure to deliver daily deadlines. I found I kept up with the pace with help of my very skilled and enthusiastic teaching assistant, who constantly motivated the class. Now that I am back home, this course has instilled a new drive to kick-start my career upon graduation and I can't wait to apply my new skill-set in the workplace.

Most nights there was something epic planned by the IX team - whether it be a unique traditional Portuguese dinner, a sunset cruise, a classy rooftop bar event or even dancing lessons - this was motivation enough to complete my homework efficiently and join in on the fun. Not to mention - on weekends the team took us on excursions such as: Learning to surf, rock jumping and canoeing, castle tours and wine tasting and of course day trips to the magnificent Portuguese beaches.

Discovering and embracing Lisbon with Ixperience was incredible and the friends I made on the course are surely friends for life. My only regret is that I didn't stay for the four week internship because I really got attached to the place and all the people.

AC in the accommodation
Emanuel

An Invaluable Experience

iXperience was an eye-opening summer program that had a real lasting impact on me. The program is structured such that for the first 4 weeks you have class for 3 hours a day with manageable daily homework assignments and lots of down time to enjoy and explore with friends. The second 4 weeks involve working as an intern at a company of your choice and is pretty much can be as legitimate as you want it to be. During my first 4 weeks I learned how to fully create, build, and deploy an app from scratch in class, whilst going on wild excursions over the weekends, and having unforgettable nights out with my friends. Learning a real world skill that I could apply to a work setting was an extremely satisfying experience that I rarely (if ever) experienced in a University setting. Aside from the learning we went surfing, climbed waterfalls and mountains, visited the most southern tip of Africa, saw penguins, ostriches, and baboons, and explored the coolest bars, clubs, and restaurants the beautiful city of Cape Town had to offer. There are endless opportunities here from paragliding to wine tours to repelling to going on safaris...etc. I could go on and on.

The second session of the program I interned for Invictus Capital, an up and coming blockchain investment company that was THE MOST funded startup in South African History. While there, I learned a completely new field of coding with cryptocurrencies. I applied these skills by creating BTC and ETH transaction simulations for testing the ICO investing process, built smart contracts for Ethereum for their Crypto Index fund and a lot more. All in all, I had the most amazing summer, developed real world skills that I can now take with me to into the real world (and put on my resume), made lifelong friends, and grew so much as an individual. I recommend this 100% to anyone, its a once in a lifetime opportunity for developing yourself as a professional and at the same time retains the fun, relaxed, and enjoyable time every student looks to have during their summer off-season.

N/A
Rohit Jethwani
Rohit

The More You Travel The More You Grow

iXperience is such an innovative program. You get to experience the best of all worlds - cutting-edge courses taught by industry leaders, interning at a start-up or a multinational company where you can make a significant difference, and immersing yourself in a culture that is so warm and welcoming. Moreover, you get to experience all of this in one of the most beautiful cities in the world: Cape Town.

I did this program in the summer of 2017 and it was one of the best decisions I made during my college career. I have grown so much as a person through this program as it challenged me to step out my comfort zone every day. I gained tangible real-world skills that I can apply to many industries, I was able to make global connections, I connected with the locals who gave me a new perspective on life, co-taught a Bhangra workshop to people who didn't know what Bhangra was, climbed the Lion's Head three times, Bunjee jumped off a bridge, learned how to surf and made some of the best friends from across the world.

I realized that if you travel and if you are challenged you are bound to grow because the real magic happens when you placed in your uncomfort zone.

Highly Recommend

Internships could be designed better. The skills learned in class weren't aligned with the projects at the company I interned at.
Ayman

EDU-TOURISM!

I was part of the Data Science program at iX this summer in Cape Town. Here's how I'd describe the amount of new stuff I learnt over the course of 4 weeks: Imagine you're thirsty, you can take a glass of water but in an alternate situation you could prop open a fire hydrant and your thirst will be quenched, but do you really need so much water gushing at you? iX is like that, but along the lines of education. You take in so much through the course, you're a ninja at your internship afterwards and a master at concentrating.

The internet at the residence is overloaded at times and some rooms don't receive signal. So that's an improvement I see that's needed.
Response from iXperience

Ayman, thank you for that amazing analogy! Glad we could be the fire hydrant to your experience in Cape Town. :)

Thank you for reporting WiFi issues at our accommodation. We know how important connectivity is during the program. The good news is that for 2017 and beyond, students will be placed into newer, more comfortable and modern residences. Each of our residences will have 1Gbps fibre connection, as well as Ruckus Access Point systems installed building-wide for full coverage in each room. Plans have already begun being implemented!

Thanks again for being a part of iX 2016. Community is what makes this experience so meaningful. We hope to see you soon again!

- Seth from iXperience

Luis

iXperience review - Finance Student

My experience with iXperience has been great so far. The finance class was fascinating and Wesley, our instructor, was very knowledgeable and approachable. We not only learned how to model and value companies, but also crucial skills for interviews and our future careers in general.

Cape Town is a fantastic city, and it has it all! Its food is excellent; its hikes have magnificent views, and its nightlife is great as well. The program includes shark cage diving, wine tasting, surfing and an overnight safari, but apart from that you can go skydiving, paragliding, take a helicopter ride, and more!

If you think safety is an issue, you don't need to worry. Uber is widely used and extremely safe. You can get around Cape Town by yourself or with a couple of friends with no problem!

However, there are a couple of issues. First, the housing ([email protected]) is far from ideal. Rooms are small and fit up to 10 people for only one bathroom. Second, although the classes are great, if you're coming for the internship I'd say there is a 50-50 chance you'll be disappointed. My internship has been very instructive, and I have been able to apply what I learned in class, but I know that several of my classmates have been placed on internships that are either not related to what we learned or have little to no work at all.

The housing can be improved.

The internship process is very confusing and abstract, and can also be improved. In my opinion, iXperience's main weakness is that it provides more than one session per summer and companies are not accustomed to receiving more than one 'batch' of interns. Thus, at many internships, the first session students finished projects and left the second session students with little or no work to do.
Response from iXperience

Luis, thank you so much for your thoughts on iXperience! We're so glad you enjoyed your time in Cape Town and that you'd recommend it to others.

Thank you for raising a few issues with housing and the internship process. We learned a lot this year! We've taken the feedback this year and have already begun plans to drastically improve in both of these areas.

We're excited to announce that for 2017 and beyond, we will be providing new, modern, and comfortable housing.

To expand on the internship from this pas year, we acknowledge that there were (and that we expected there would be) a few hiccups in the first week of internships, which is why we built a robust feedback system where interns could continuously communicate issues and concerns back to their internship managers. Overall, students rated their internships 8/10 by the fourth week, which is an exceptional result that we are proud of.

We work continuously to build meaningful internships that are easy to transition into, and we also enjoy teaching students to take control of the opportunity to work to produce the most value that they can. We believe taking initiative is a core part of the iX culture.

The internship is an integral part of iXperience, and we have already begun securing partnerships and projects for 2017, and hope to push this up to a 10/10 rating!

Salo

Feel Like Google, But Abroad

Every week is a new adventure here in iXperience. You learn an unbelievable amount during the week and then take a breathtaking exploration every weekend. For example, last Sunday I took a trip with three friends to Cape of Good Hope (the south-western most point in Africa). From there, I witnessed the most unbelievable scenery, from old rock formations to the meeting point of two grand oceans. It was at that moment that the difference between an experience and a photo hit me. You can see the most beautiful picture ever taken, but nothing can compare to the feeling of actually being there.
From there we traveled to boulders beach where we got to run around chasing penguins and jump into the clear ocean blue to try to keep up with these adorable creatures.

Let me remind you this was just one weekend. Every weekend is filled with this type of exploration which makes coming here so worth it. From shark cage diving, to sandborading, to surfing, to chasing penguins, the exploration you can do here is unbelievable. (and this is on top of all the extraordinary learning you receive during the week).

Some of the housing facilities could be improved.
Alex

Creating iOS apps in cape town

I had an amazing time learning and working in Cape Town. My class on iOS development was challenging and engaging and I learned how to code in Swift from scratch. The teaching staff was so helpful that I even learned how to code Ruby on Rails on the side to build a server for my final project. I would recommend this program to anyone who is excited about learning to code. Cape Town is also an incredibly beautiful city. Table Mountain on one side, the ocean on the other. Hiking is so convenient and incredibly fun, as is surfing and many other exciting activities.

Kelly

Coding in Cape Town

I first heard about iXperience through my cousin, Mikenzie, who was a student here the first summer it was offered. Since then, she has raved about what an incredible experience it was and has urged me to take advantage of the opportunity to come to South Africa to both explore and learn. However, although she had sold me on the trip, I was extremely intimidated by the fact that I was about to fly half way around the world to take a web development course without any prior knowledge of coding. I would have never thought that in just four short weeks, I would have learned the foundation of programming and gained the essential skills needed to build a comprehensive, user-friendly website. Although the learning process is long and difficult, I have come to appreciate the process and the hard work it takes; I have come to look forward to the feeling I get when my code finally is correct after spending hours trying to figure out what is wrong. iXperience has helped me realize what I want out of a future career and has helped me find new passions along the way, including coding and design.

In addition to the curriculum, living in Cape Town, South Africa is incredible and nothing can compare to it. I have had the opportunity to hike famous mountains, visit interesting museums, learn about the local culture, and discover new things about myself and about this city. As my final week in Cape Town approaches, I am filled with regret that I did not sign up to stay for more than four weeks. Yes, I am excited to go home and see my friends and family, but I am going to miss waking up every morning to the view of Table Mountain, our Saturday morning trips to the Old Biscuit Mill Market, and laughing with my new friends and iX family. It was truly a life changing experience and something I will always remember.

Braden

The best summer of my life got me a job in Investment Banking

My summer with iXperience was hands down the best summer of my life. From skydiving and surfing to learning finance both in the classroom and at a local company, the iXperience program prepared me for landing my current summer internship while also having the time of my life. This summer, I will be working for Wells Fargo Securities in San Francisco in their Technology Investment Banking Division, and I have iXperience to thank. While in Cape Town, I learned the essentials of financial analysis and modeling in Excel and then applied those skills in an internship with a local venture capital firm. Following this uniquely designed program, I had a leg up when interviewing for summer jobs as well as an amazing summer experience to share. Overall, iXperience was the best summer of my life and it got me a job in Investment Banking.

If there were one thing to change, I would want all of the iXperience students to be living in one single place. The students were split between two campuses and I know it has been part of their goal to expand to a bigger housing space. I hope that they can achieve this goal.
Phoebe

I wish I could do it again!

Spending 8 weeks in Cape Town with iXperience was one of the best decisions I made as a college student. As a history major going into my senior year, I had only interned at law firms previously and thought that law school after graduation was my only option. iXperience changed that- after the 4 week consulting course and 4 week internship I had access to a world of prospects for postgrad work! Entering a new field after being committed to another can be daunting, but with the help of the immersive course I felt confident in my internship and was able to really hone my consulting skills and sharpen my business acumen. Of course, Cape Town is also an incredibly beautiful place. When we weren't working hard in the classroom or at our internships, we made the most of what the city had to offer! From shark cage diving to safari adventures, Cape Town and iXperience did not disappoint. I only wish I could do it again!

It would have been nice to live in housing with only iX students, rather than sharing a hostel with other visitors to Cape Town.
Blake

A Truly Holistic Experience

Ixperience is the perfect study abroad program for someone who lives the "work hard, play hard" lifestyle. When it comes to learning, expect small classrooms filled with vocal students eager to master class material together. However, what you do outside the Classroom while on Ixperience separates the program from any other high intensity professional bootcamp...

About the Instructors and Staff: The instructors and TA's are world-class and teach a fast-paced, yet well-organized curriculum. To illustrate how amazing the staff at Ixperience was, let me describe Erica Du. Erica, one of the 2015 web development TA's, is an MIT bachelors and masters graduate who graduated with a perfect GPA in computer science. Apart from being a genius, Erica is also one of the most outgoing people I have ever met. She was always with us on daytime excursions and was definitely a part of our nightlife experience as well. Erica was not what I was expecting from a TA at a young professional boot camp start-up. She was always there when we needed help with course work, but also took time to assimilate into our session’s culture. Every member of the Ixperience staff is like Erica. These people work extremely hard behind the scenes while simultaneously making time to hang out with the students. This family feel that Ixperience creates is ensures success inside and out of the classroom.

About Everything Else: Ixperience is far more than just a regular professional boot camp. On Ixperience, you have the once in a lifetime ability to explore Cape Town, SA. Before Ixperience, I knew nothing about Cape Town. The city had little to do with my summer decision. After spending two months in Cape Town, I realize it is one of the most underappreciated cities in the world. Cape Town is a tropical paradise filled with so much to do and the Ix staff is always looking for ways to make your unique experience in Cape Town fun and memorable. If you want to go on a safari, sky-diving, bungee-jumping, shark cage diving, surfing, sand-boarding, etc. (yes we did all of these things), the staff will make it happen. Other than exciting excursions, the city has an incredible nightlife, which is comparable to any big city in the United States. There are lots of bars and clubs to choose from, and you can make this a big part of your experience if you want. The food in Cape Town is also incredible. There are so many new and trendy restaurants to choose from it can be overwhelming at times. As a student, you get to experience all of this without a guilty conscious. Why? Most global currencies across the world are strong against the rand (South African currency). So this means that you can eat, explore, drink and live like a king for a very low cost while in South Africa.

If you study abroad at Ixperience, you will come out a more interesting person. You will acquire a valuable skillset, develop a network of great friends and brilliant minds, and be pushed to go beyond your previously perceived boundaries. If you have any more questions about my experience, please feel free to reach out!

I honestly have no comments for improvement. I am confident in the Ix staff and their constant goal to improve the flexible program.
Britt

Do Something You've Never Done

One of my favorite, unexpected days was the morning I woke up at 6am and went to a silent disco at the top of this skyscraper. About thirty other people and I danced around like idiots as we watched the sun rise over Cape Town, and it was one of the happiest moments I've had in my entire life. Afterwords I went for breakfast at the number one coffee shop in the world (literally), Truth Coffee, and had a fanastic egg, toast, avocado breakfast - they put "avo" on everything; one of the many reasons why Cape Town is awesome.

That day was just a snapshot of all the outrageous, fun things there were to do on this trip. And the program coordinators helped organize it all. Whether it was surfing or sky diving or going out on the town, they handled everything and made it really easy and enjoyable.

It's still a young program, so they have some logistics to work out. For example it's hard to find fulfilling internships for all 150 students in such a short span, all in the same city. But they are doing good a great job, and I have full confidence that as they continue to grow they will continue to improve.
Allie

The Perfect Summer

iXperience challenged me academically in completely new ways. I learned an insane amount in the four week course and even changed my major to computer science as a result. I did real work at the internship and made some great friends along the way. The best parts were the weekend excursions. I went great white shark cage diving, wine tasting, hiking, and so much more that I still can't believe I did. The fun wasn't just on the weekends either - we watched the sunset by the beach, biked around the city under full moons, and had an incredibly amazing summer.

I wish I could have stayed longer! The main area for improvement is how connections are maintained after the trip ends among alumni.
Response from iXperience

Allie, thank you so much for your reflection on iXperience! You and others in our 2014 cohort are the foundation of what iXperience has become today. Thank you for your continued support and feedback as we constantly work to improve. You are dearly missed in the Mother City. :)

About iXperience

Founded by Yale alum Aaron Fuchs in 2013, iXperience is an innovative career-accelerating program. With campuses in four unique cities (Cape Town, Lisbon, Berlin, Tel Aviv), students who are accepted into our program take immersive classes in high...