Korea: Seoul - Korean and East Asian Studies, Yonsei University

Study Abroad with USAC in Korea
Study Abroad with USAC in Korea
USAC study abroad programs at Yonsei University
USAC study abroad programs at Yonsei University
Study Abroad with USAC in Seoul, South Korea.
Study Abroad with USAC in Seoul, South Korea.
Study Abroad with USAC in Seoul, South Korea
Study Abroad with USAC in Seoul, South Korea
Study Abroad with USAC in Seoul, South Korea, at Yonsei University

Come study abroad at Yonsei University with USAC in South Korea! Program options include summer, semester, and academic year terms, all in one of the most 'wired' cities in the world: Seoul. Explore the 'Land of the Morning Calm,' which received its title due to the mild coastal and mountainous climate.

Yonsei University is among the top 200 universities in the world according to the Times Higher Education. Students can take a large variety of courses, including Korean language classes at any level as well as Korean and East Asian Studies.

For more information, take a look at the USAC Website.

• Explore historic and modern Korea, known as the Land of the Morning Calm because of its mild coastal and mountainous climate
  • Learn calligraphy, danso (bamboo flute), Korean cuisine, and more from eminent local and foreign professors
  • Enjoy bike or ferry rides along the Han River, entertainment and shopping, and visits to local temples through the center of bustling Seoul
  • Choose from a diverse range of courses at Yonsei or the other University location, Kookmin, all while living in in one of the most “wired” cities in the world
  • Study in Yonsei for a January, Summer, Semester, or Yearlong session.

USAC and COVID-19 Updates

For updates related to COVID-19 and USAC programs, please visit our website.

USAC Scholarships
USAC Scholarships and Financial Aid

USAC awards over $2 million in scholarships and discounts each year to assist students with their study abroad expenses.

$500 - $1,000

Kaitlyn

Seoul Searching

I was able to end my last semester of college in the most spectacular way, thanks to my USAC study abroad program in Seoul, South Korea. I attended Yonsei University, one of South Korea's most prestigious colleges. Before even landing a foot in Seoul, I was able to bond with fellow students as USAC opened opportunities to connect with our study abroad peers. While in Korea, I had constant and speedy communication with my USAC advisors, who helped to sort any travel or academic issues. Through USAC, I was able to learn about so many fascinating aspects of Korean culture ranging from food and cinema to philosophy and history. Seoul would have many fun places to go, including tourist attractions, parks, cafes, restaurants, nightlife, historical sites, etc. On the flip side, Korea is a very mountainous country and there are a lot of places to go hiking and enjoy nature in Seoul and around the country! My study abroad in Korea was filled with delicious meals, karaoke, and new adventures every single day. It was truly, the Seoul search of a lifetime.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unfamiliar food I ate was a popular Korean dish called "Dakbal" aka chicken feet. While going to karaoke with my mentor group, our Korean mentor wanted to give us a very "authentic" eating experience. While I was a little nervous, they were actually very delicious!
Emily

Great Experience Abroad

Studying at Yonsei University through USAC was one of the best and most affordable options for me! Not only was the school beautiful, the campus life was amazing and I learned a lot about the culture and about myself during my time at Yonsei! I was there for a year and got to experience four seasons, two school festivals, form deep relationships, and vastly improve my korean language ability at Yonsei University! I can't wait to go back to South Korea. If you are considering studying abroad in Seoul, South Korea, there really is no better option than studying abroad at Yonsei through USAC!

A designated USAC Employee at Yonsei
Shisha

Seoul Searching

USAC, Yonsei was the best choice I ever made in my life! I've always wanted to visit South Korea in my lifetime and I was lucky to be able to go through a study abroad program and live there for four months. The campus is beautiful! The University experience there was alot different from my home University, but I liked how involved students were in social and academic events.
The culture scene was very fun and exciting. So much music everywhere you go probably because of their ever-growing music industry but i love the buskers who perform at night. It's a nice way to relax for the nigth while still enjoying the culture. I was able to take some trips and see the beautiful places South Korea has to offer. The people are amazing as well! You will always feel at home because they treat everyone like family.
My favorite little restaurant is called 딸기 or Strawberry, and it is down the street from the student dorms. It's very popular with the students as well as people in the neighborhood and I think it's because a nice family owns it (2 generations) and the food is delicious for the affordable price!
More about food, there are so many affordable places to eat at in Sinchon(the district Yonsei is located in) and they fill you up!
I can go on and on about my experience, but I would like to say that it was a very eye-opening experience for me and probably the best trip I've ever taken in my life! Definitely recommend Seoul, South Korea (especially Yonsei 😁)!

I think it's good the way it is 😁
Gina
No, I don't recommend this program

Any Help

Beware that you will have trouble finding easy access to any help. I had to go to the ER because the counseling center at Yonsei was not open, and even after I told them my necessity, no one budged. I admit that I already came with some mental issues that I had, up to that point, completely under control. That said, when it got worse, I tried calling everyone I could only to be pretty much told that I am on my own. I went to the hospital multiple times to treat my condition, and each time I asked for someone to escort me, and that never happened. I went by myself each time, despite stressing how physically weak I felt and just how unsure I was if I was going to be able to make it to the hospital. The last straw was having a Korean psychiatrist tell me that he would not up the dosage of my drug (despite the fact that my psychiatrist in the US said that was okay) and told me to go home to the US. I got no explanation as to his reasoning, and he basically shoved me out of the door immediately after to get to his next patients. Yonsei Severence is a wonderful hospital for strictly physical problems, but again, do not expect any help from them in terms of mental disorders. The same goes for the staff of Yonsei University's counseling center and Office of International Affairs as well as USAC. Before studying abroad, seriously look into the school you will be attending and the program through which you are doing it. Make sure you ALWAYS! have access to someone in case of emergencies.