CIS Abroad - Semester in South Korea - Sogang University

Semester in South Korea - Sogang University

On our Semester in South Korea program, you’ll study at Sogang University, one of the leading research and liberal arts universities in South Korea. You’ll be among many serious students from South Korea (local students come from the top 1% of their high school classes) as well as numerous international students. Attend the Sunrise Festival at the beginning of the semester hosted by student clubs that welcomes new students to the school.

• AACSB-accredited business school with 40% international student body
  • Easy access to 5 UNESCO World Heritage Sites in and around Seoul
  • Fully-equipped athletic facilities
  • Study at the alma mater of the first woman president of South Korea
  • Numerous interesting student clubs: A tarot card reading club, start-up business club, comic & video game culture club, English conversation club with local students, martial arts club, and more!

CISabroad Scholarships
CISabroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

70% of all CISabroad students receive scholarships, grants, or discounts to study abroad. We're unapologetically committed to increasing access to international education for all students.

$250 - $500

Olivia

Homestays!

My personal favorite experience during my time in South Korea was participating in two homestays! The CISabroad coordinator for my program helped me set up homestays with two different families. I first stayed with a family that lived outside of Seoul, and they took me to places I would have never found as a foreign tourist. I learned about traditional Korean culture, wore their traditional dress(hanbok), visited a buddhist temple to have tea with a monk, went strawberry picking, and so much more! I also stayed with a girl my age who lived in Seoul, and she was my personal tour guide for all the major touristy spots as well as showing me some hidden gems in the city. She taught me how to make kimbap, helped me learn how to ride the bus system, and made me feel like I fit in as a young adult in Seoul. I know I have made lifelong connections with these people, and I am thankful to call them my friends. We often exchange pictures and stories from all our adventures, and I get to still be connected with my trip and the country even while I’m back in the states.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unfamiliar thing I ate was pig intestine sausage. One CIS excursion was going to one of the many markets in Seoul. We ate at a little stall in the middle of the packed market and our coordinator ordered lots of food for us to try! He dared us to try the pig intestine sausage if we thought we could, and I gave it a go! It was definitely unlike anything I've ever had before, but I recommend trying it at least once!