API Study Abroad at the Universidad de Cadiz, Spain

API Study Abroad at the Universidad de Cadiz, Spain

The Universidad de Cádiz traditionally belonged to the University of Western Andalusia, centralized within the Rectorado of Seville. It gained its independence and became the Universidad de Cádiz in the early 1980s. The University has been welcoming international students for almost 50 years.

The foreign language department continues to expand and attract more and more international students each year. The main branch of the three-campus university system is located in Cádiz. Students can enjoy the feel of this modern campus, which still retains the old world charm of this fascinating city.

This location is a good fit for a motivated student and traveler with intermediate to superior Spanish speaking abilities.

Europe » Spain » Cadiz

Alex
Cadiz
Oregon State University

Ole Ole Cai!

Participating in this program changed my life. I chose to go to a small peninsula as I thought it would be a place where I could be immersed in the language and really learn it, which turned out to be true. It’s a beautiful, magical place that will forever have a place in my heart. The people of Cadiz, better known as “Gaditanos”, and people of the surrounding areas are so proud of their land, culture, language and way of life and love showing it off. I used to love walking around the old part of the city, or having a coffee at the little bar overlooking the beach. They say that the beaches in Cadiz are the best in Spain, so that’s reason enough to go.
This is a full-immersion program. I was in classes with Spaniards and all my classes were taught in Spanish. This was not easy, but it was so gratifying to notice that by the last week of class, it wasn’t as hard to learn as it once had been. I also took a Spanish Language class with students from all over the world. The combination of the daily language class, all my classes at the University of Cadiz, and being immersed in the Spanish culture is how I learned the language. The Resident Director, a Spanish native living in Cadiz, was amazing. She went above and beyond for every student on the program. I still keep in touch with her to this day! It didn’t matter what time it was when you called her, if you needed help, she’d be wherever you were within 10 minutes; like I said before, Cadiz is a small city!
There are so many great things I can say about the program and I sometimes wish I could go back in time and relive some of the experiences I had all over again just to remember them more clearly!

The most challenging part of this wonderful experience was my host family situation. I was living in a moldy room with no windows, which made me very sick at one point in my program. It was obvious the family hosting me was doing it only for the money and didn’t care about my well-being or really getting to know me. The good thing about all of this was API was very understanding and helpful when I decided to move. My Resident Director helped me find a new place to live, where I was much happier.

Maria
Pittsburgh Pa
Chatham College

Cadiz Siempre Dentro De Mi

My summer in Cadiz was the best thing I have ever experienced!! The city itself was the perfect place for me. It was small enough that I could safely walk everywhere and become familiar with the city, it had beautiful beaches and weather, and most of all had a small home town atmosphere. It was filled strong, passionate people who were friendly and ready to help you at a moments notice. The summer nights were a time for friends and family to spend time together and have fun. Being so close to the coast, Cadiz had amazing seafood! Though it is located in the very Southern part of Spain, it was not hard to travel throughout the country, and even to other surrounding countries. My typical day included morning classes, afternoons on the beach, La Caleta, evenings having dinner with my host family, then getting gelato at Plaza Mina or going to a bar and watching the futbol game with friends. Especially in the summer, the weekends always busy with festivals or celebrations that really added to the cultural experience. There is always something to do, I explored museums and discovered the diverse history of Spain, climbed the Torre Tavira to see a spectacular view of Cadiz, walk through the Plazas and shop, and go dancing at night!

I could not have studied abroad without the support of API, who's staff was as excited as I was about traveling , and helped me step by step from America to Spain. My program coordinator in Spain became my mentor and friend, and went out of her way to make sure that my group had the best experience possible. She also only spoke Spanish to us, which made the transition to my host family easier.

The program coordinator there had a close relationship with my host family, and knew that the family would be welcoming and helpful during my time there. I felt included in all family activities and felt that they really enjoyed the company! Staying with a host family really accelerated my knowledge of the Spanish language and culture.

The teachers at the University of Cadiz also contributed to my language skills. Taking language classes in a fun and relaxed environment helped me retain important grammatical information and use it in real life situations. The teachers there were relatable and understanding, and I felt comfortable taking risks in speaking out loud in class.

This experience is something I will always remember, and has made me become more of myself, now that I have a piece of Cadiz in me always.

API is a little more expensive than some other programs, but worth it!

AliciaKennedy
Rhode Island
Thomas Aquinas College

There's No Place Like Cai-Cai!

I can confidently say that my semester in Cadiz, Spain was THE highlight of my college career - and overall was an incredibly life changing experience.

API is one of the few well-recognized program providers to offer an intensive language study program in Cadiz. The support, guidance and overwhelming kindness of the API staff is unparalleled. API was there for me every step of the way through my experience and I can't imagine having studied abroad with any other provider.

Cadiz - or Cai-Cai as it is affectionately known - is one of the most historic and beautiful cities in all of Spain. It is located in Andalusia province which is known for its amazing food and culture, beautiful beaches and warm, friendly people. There is no shortage of things to do in the city - even though I spent most of my days relaxing on La Caleta. Be sure to visit all of the plazas - especially Plaza Mina (get some gelato!). Catch a show at Gran Teatro Falla or the Balluarte. Climb the tower at La Catedral. Stop by 100 Montaditos on Wednesday for 1 euro menus. Check out the new exhibits at Santa Cantalina - go around sunset for a great view.

The rest of Spain is easily accessible by train or bus, but I promise there is always something to do and see in Cadiz.

If you want a program that challenges you to be fully immersed in a new culture, study a language and enroll directly with Spaniards, this is the program for you!

I had the best 4 months of my life with API Cadiz and I definitely left my heart in Spain!

The mission of API is to transform lives by providing enriching academic and cross-cultural experiences that foster increased self-knowledge, cultural sensitivity and understanding of the global nature of our contemporary world.

*The former API Cultural Embrace and Aspire by API listings are now merged under