Liberal Arts, Humanities, Business & Entrepreneurship Program at Barcelona SIS

The Liberal Arts, Humanities, Business & Entrepreneurship Program at Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) offers a personalized classroom atmosphere to students who are looking to rapidly improve their Spanish language skills and gain US credits for major, minor, and elective courses taught in English.

You’ll enjoy a perfect blend of top-notch academics and experiential learning that include intriguing courses, guest speakers, local tours and a variety of cultural activities and excursions. Most electives are taught in English, but students are highly encouraged to enroll in our Intensive Spanish Language Courses to truly get the most out of the Barcelona experience.

For more information, please visit the Barcelona SAE website.

Lily

School For Internation Studies

The classes were a good challange and the staff was very nice and well equipped for their positions. It was an amazing time living in Barcelona and learning about local life and culture. I made a lot of lasting friendships and totally improved my Spanish speaking skills as I was immersed in the Spanish environment. Also, I found the Catalan culture so fascinating with their crazy festivities like the Correfoc, a parade in which people paint their faces, literally swing fireworks around in a crowd and play booming drums. It was so exhilarating!

Taryn

Barcelona SAE Fall 2015

This program completely changed my world-views and greatly impacted my career goals in a positive way. Throughout the quarter, we were taught to look at subjects such as history and multiculturalism from different perspectives while seeing the history of different places first-hand. Our professor was very negative and I didn't like his teaching style, but the program itself was great. I bonded with my host family and was immersed in the culture of Barcelona, as well as other places that we traveled to (other parts of Spain, Italy, France, and Morocco). After my time in Barcelona, I changed my major from Accounting to International Business so that I can hopefully travel the world as a part of my future career. One of my favorite memories was being lost in Barcelona with my roommate the first week we were there. I was starting to get frustrated, when suddenly I turned around and saw Sagrada Familia. I was in awe and realized that beauty can be found under any circumstance! From that point on, I learned to be okay with getting lost and wandering the streets while finding new sights.

This program can be improved by employing a more professional and encouraging professor to teach the classes.
Nicole

Barcelona SAE SIS 2017 Program

Upon coming to Barcelona, I thought it would be a whole different world of weird tales every day. Barcelona SAE made my program feel like home. My favorite element is that it wasn't a program through my university meaning I got to meet so many different people from different schools. This program was pretty inclusive especially with all the counselors, teachers, staff, and weekend trips. It made Barcelona feel like a second home.

This program could be improved with improved communications/ details on what is expected from homestay families.
Maggie-Machre

I LOVED Barcelona SAE!

This was one of the most memorable adventures I have ever experienced. The program was on the smaller side, roughly 12-15 students, which meant the trips, tours, and dining through the program was intimate and geared toward everyone's tastes. They didn't constantly provide programming, which was great because for the most part we were able to choose our own day-to-day and weekend trips. They provided the pre-planned portion of the schedule in advance so it was easy to decide when we would be travelling solo. The events they did include were tours of the Gothic part of the city, several museum passes, the first few days they made sure to schedule activities so the attendees could get grounded without being overwhelmed by a new city and get to make friends with the other students. They provided us with tips, tricks, and safety advice. About mid-trip (week 3 out of 6 weeks) we took a 3-day weekend tour to 4 cities, with a two-night stay in Costa Brava. It was amazingly beautiful, and not an overly tourist driven city - which was SO cool. The program really encouraged you to not be the average american study abroad participant, they wanted you to experience Barcelona more organically. My friends and I enjoyed the housing they found for us, which was a private 3 bedroom apartment in a residential barrio. This program was one of many that sent students to the larger university, so even if you're looking for a larger program you can still get that vibe when you go to class. The program also schedule cultural events at least once a week (flamenco dancing, tapas dinners out, watching soccer games at the local bars) which was awesome. Seriously, I cannot recommend this program enough!!

TLDR: definitely book through Barcelona SAE. They are AWESOME.

Huyen

Amazing Semester Abroad!

I had the amazing opportunity to study abroad in Barcelona for a semester. It was a unique experience because Barcelona SAE was there every step of the way to help the students transition into the Spanish lifestyle. This included day/weekend trips to surrounding towns, tours of each barrio (neighborhoods), and activities such as flamenco dancing, cooking classes, and intercambios with the locals. Without help from the program, I wouldn't be able to fully make the most of my time in Barcelona.
The highlights of the program were definitely the trips we took outside of Barcelona. We went to Zaragoza, Bilbao, San Sebastian, Guernica, and numerous other towns. It was a great way to experience how other Spaniards lived and know what each town was famous for.
Besides the trips, Barcelona SAE also helped with our transition within Barcelona. This included our homestays/apartments, transportation, and classes.
Overall, it was an amazing experience that I would highly recommend to anyone who is thinking about or planning on studying abroad in Spain.

If I could improve on one thing, it would be the duration of the activities that Barcelona SAE planned for us. Many of the activities were for one night and with no followup for interested students. If they offered more opportunities for students to get involved apart from the program, Barcelona SAE would be unstoppable!
Emma

Fantastic program!

I am a semester-long student with this program, and I am so happy with my choice of program. The directors are so helpful and friendly, they're always open to any questions/concerns and even helped me get a package delivered from the US that was stuck in customs. There are so many additional activities and trips included in the program-tours of the neighborhoods, a cooking class, a day trip hiking on Montserrat, a full weekend trip to the Basque country-that I really feel like I'm getting the most out of my experience here and exploring all corners of Barcelona.

There are very interesting classes offered, but I signed up for classes all in Spanish, and I was not told until about a month before I left that they couldn't offer those classes in Spanish because there wasn't enough interest. I would have liked to have more options to take classes in Spanish (which I need for my major) or at least to have known a little earlier that that wasn't possible.

About Barcelona Study Abroad Experience (SAE)

Barcelona SAE is the specialist in Barcelona study and intern abroad. We use the city of Barcelona to offer students and universities boutique, personalized programs, focused on cultural immersion, a wide variety of quality academic options, and all...