CEA Study Abroad in Barcelona, Spain

The first of four visits to Antoni Gaudi's stunning outdoor park and work of art.
The atmosphere at the stadium is beyond anything the USA has to offer.
The atmosphere at the stadium is beyond anything the USA has to offer.
Sightseeing the first week we arrived.
Sightseeing the first week we arrived.
parc de la ciutadella
Berlin
Berlin
Paragliding
Paragliding

Barcelona, Spain’s second-largest city, features a cosmopolitan atmosphere, a temperate climate, marvelous art, and fantastic opportunities to learn. Gaze upon Antoni Gaudí’s gothic Sagrada Familia, the church of the Holy Family. Enjoy delicious tapas as you socialize with new friends. Experience the thrill of soccer at Europe’s largest stadium, Camp Nou.

To give you the widest range of options, CEA partners with some of Spain’s best universities, including University of Barcelona, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, University of Vic, and Pompeu Fabra University. You can study at one of these prestigious institutions, or at CEA’s Barcelona Center, located in the heart of the city. You can also experience both with a hybrid learning program.

Interested? Click the “Visit Site” button to learn what’s waiting for you!

• Hands-on learning experiences that transform the world abroad into a classroom
  • Personalized Pre-Departure Advising, including visa and immigration support
  • Courses offered in English that fulfill major and general graduation requirements
  • Comprehensive on-site support, including 24/7 emergency phone
  • Career workshops, Internships Abroad, and Alumni Ambassador positions

CEA Scholarships
CEA Scholarships and Financial Aid

Studying abroad will change your life, improve your employability, and enhance your global competence. That's why we commit more than $2.0 million each year to our financial and scholarship programs.

$400 - $3,000

Apply by 10/3/2019 and get a $1,000 flight voucher!

Allow yourself to experience cultures in parts of the world you’ve only ever dreamt of. Take this opportunity to make this your life. Apply by October 3, 2019, and get up to $1000 in flight vouchers toward study or internship programs abroad.

No, there is no break during the fall semester however there are a lot of days off for long weekends.

Jonathan

If I could do it again, I would

This was by far, THE best experience of my life. Barcelona truly became my home, even though I spent such a short time there. CEA really helps you, not just academically, but also provide helpful insights about Spain, as well as really fun trips/excursions to other places in Spain. The classes I took really helped me understand Spain's culture and gave me a new outlook on how similar we all are. I came into the program not knowing anyone, because I wanted to get the most out of this experience and step out of my comfort zone, and it was the best decision I've made. I met amazing, like-minded people who I shared the best experiences with, traveling throughout Europe and throughout Spain. Traveling throughout Europe, between countries is very easy, which was great, because I was able to travel to Paris, Rome, Milan, Greece, as well as other parts of Spain.
If you're given the chance, Barcelona is the place you need to go.

For future travelers on this program, I would highly suggest doing the program alone, as in go into it without friends from home/school, because it really gets you out of your comfort zone and you end up making the greatest friends. Also, don't travel so much on weekends, and if you do, you'll want to extend your stay in Barcelona. There's so much to see in Barcelona; it's nearly impossible with just the four months you have. Lastly, try to travel far from the city center, on the last metro stop, because that's where you'll find the real Spanish culture and not just the tourist traps. Finally, have a great time! There's so much to do and so much to see, make sure you're making the most of it.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Jonathan, thank you for your thorough and positive review! Your detailed tips and insights will help guide future students when researching and deciding upon their own study abroad experiences. We are thrilled to hear you had a great semester studying abroad with CEA in Barcelona, and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors!

Austin

Do it!

When I say "do it," I don't just mean go study abroad in Barcelona, that should be a given. When I say "do it," I mean fully immerse yourself and make sure you are uncomfortable as often as possible. It sucks that the majority of kids travel for the sake of Instagram, or are simply doing the things that they are already comfortable with... those are not the things that make you grow as an individual. I went as a sophomore, and as most kids go as juniors, I went not knowing anybody on my program. This was definitely the right decision as I was forced to step outside of my comfort zone to create relationships that may end up lasting a life time. I highly suggest you study abroad somewhere, I just hope you do it the way that it should be done, not the way that everyone else does it.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I chose to march alongside the yellowjackets in Paris, and it was a combination of terrifying awe.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Austin, we appreciate hearing your personal approach to studying abroad and are glad it resulted in such a wonderful experience for you in Barcelona. Getting outside your comfort zone is one of the best things about study abroad, and we’re thrilled you embraced it throughout your semester. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors!

Bridgette

The Absolute Best Time of Your Life

Everyone tells you this a thousand times over, but let me add to the list -- studying abroad is the absolute best time of your life. The only way to make the best time of your life even better is to experience it with the help and support of CEA's staff. With the help of CEA, I was influenced to travel to different cities, not just the mainstream and touristy ones, I felt safe in my own city, and was confident that if I needed assistance with anything, a staff-member would happily be there for me. Without CEA, I would have felt so lost and homesick but they helped me form a community in a foreign place and connected me with friends and weekly activities to enjoy and help me acclimate to my surroundings like cooking classes, beach yoga, and mountain hiking trips. I love CEA for their helpfulness and their kind employees, that became my friends.

If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be to remember that you are gathering knowledge and experience in every single moment, so live life the way you want to. Talk to people and try to understand them. Eat everything that looks interesting. Walk the path less traveled. Book that flight. Go out dancing. Swim in every ocean. Just do whatever makes you feel alive.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Bridgette, what a heartwarming review of your time in Barcelona. We so appreciate hearing your kind words about our fabulous Barcelona staff and the adventures you were able to experience through CEA. Your advice for future students is spot-on, and we’re thrilled to hear you had such a positive experience that lends to lifelong memories of your time abroad. Be sure to stop by and say hello the next time you’re in Barcelona!

Courtney

Study Abroad Barcelona

Overall my experience with CEA was great and I am so grateful for this experience. As I explored the beautiful city of Barcelona I always felt safe and aware of what is happening day by day in the city thanks to CEA. I think CEA did a great job at welcoming us during orientation, as well as making us know how to stay safe during our time abroad. I also think the teachers at CEA were very helpful as well ensuring your time abroad is a memorable one! The only thing I would recommend to CEA is their absence policy, because I feel that 2 absence is not enough especially while overseas. I would also recommend to take a class at UAB or UVic that is offered through CEA because the attendance is more lenient and you get the opportunity to meet a lot of locals and students from all around the world. In all my experience in Barcelona was amazing and would recommend studying abroad here!

I think this program can be improved in certain areas like the housing department. I think CEA needs to do a better job at explaining exactly where you are going to live considering you are spending four months in a foreign country there. I signed up for Residencia Plus but ended up in a dorm styled room when I thought it was supposed to be two private rooms. Another thing I think CEA can improve is their absence policy. You are supposed to save your two absences for when you are sick but then that prevents you from being able to travel.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Courtney, we appreciate your thorough review of your semester in Barcelona. We’re happy that CEA helped you fully experience the city, and we are always looking for ways to improve our programs and appreciate your insight. CEA’s programs are academically focused so that students can transfer credits back to their home institution. As with home institutions, it’s important to attend classes regularly to get the most out of the curriculum. While students do have weekends to travel independently, CEA excursions and local activity recommendations help students learn about their host city.

Tasia

Best Experience with the Best Program

CEA was the perfect program for studying in Barcelona because they provide you with all the support you need to succeed in your education and experiencing Barca. They make available multiple activities so you can immerse yourself into the culture. They also have an incredible staff that makes sure you are happy with your classes and housing. CEA was located in the heart of Barcelona making it central for students to explore before and after class. Overall, CEA definitely enhanced my experience abroad!

Doesn't need improvements!
Natalia

Best four months of my life!

I was greeted by CEA staff from the moment I arrived at the airport to pick up my bags. All throughout the semester, the staff showed unconditional support in academics, housing, and even travel tips. Professors are very knowledgeable in their subjects and courses offer field studies which allow for learning to take place outside four walls.
CEA also offers Experiential Learning Activities which involve activities within the city in addition to trips to Sitges, Valencia, and even Madrid! No matter where you end up going, you learn so much about the culture, language, and the people.
There's always something to do and somewhere new to go eat. Barcelona itself has SO much to offer that there's no going wrong in choosing Barcelona as your study abroad destination. I don't regret my choice and would recommend it to anyone wishing to study abroad!

Involving more activities with locals.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Hi Natalia, we are delighted to hear your study abroad program in Barcelona was the best four months of your life! Thank you for your feedback and for studying abroad with us. Best of luck in your next adventure!

Alison

CEA Study Abroad in Barcelona

I had the most amazing semester in Barcelona thanks to CEA. The program staff was always available and helpful and the professors were knowledgeable and approachable. I was placed in a lovely apartment close to the program center, as well as many restaurants and shops, and CEA was able to accommodate all of my roommate requests. CEA offered a great range of courses and the professors are knowledgeable and truly care about their students. Overall I highly recommend this program to anyone looking to explore Barcelona!

Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thanks for the recommendation, Alison!

Julia

My Experience with CEA in Barcelona

I am studying abroad for the Spring 2018 semester. I only have about one month left in Barcelona and it feels like the time flew by! I have had a great experience studying abroad with CEA. The support of the staff and professors is very helpful. Communication is great and if I ever have questions or concerns there is always someone at CEA who can help.

My favorite parts about CEA are all of the included activities we can participate in. The other day a group of us went on a hike to Montjuic, which is a big mountain in Barcelona. It was great to have a CEA staff member as our guide. Activities like this make my study abroad experience exceptional. Not all study abroad programs are as involved and supportive of their students. CEA does a great job with this.

I would highly recommend studying abroad through CEA to anyone!

I would enjoy having more scheduled trips with CEA on the weekends. I participated in the Madrid and Valencia trips, but it would be fun to have more organized trips- maybe some outside of Spain. A trip to France or Portugal would be great.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thanks for the recommendation and sharing ways we can improve. Best of luck to your future, Julia!

Sadie
Sadie

The Best Decision I Ever Made

In the months prior to studying for four months in Barcelona, through CEA, the process was so easy. Between my parents and I, the forms were easy and the class options were exciting and interesting. CEA staff were extremely helpful with moving in to our apartment once we arrived in Barcelona, and all of my professors were kind, interesting, and caring. I loved practicing my Spanish with them, and taking the class trips all over the city. CEA planned weekend and day trips to cities like Madrid, Besalu, and Girona, all of which were well-planned, educational, and still lax and fun. Studying abroad in Barcelona was the best four months of my entire life and I would do it over again if i could. My advice would be to seize every opportunity: visit Camp Nou, see as many museums as you can, use your Spanish (or learn Catalan) as often as possible, try every restaurant, and wander around by foot any time you can!

More bonding events between the participants.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thank you for sharing your feedback Sadie. We are thrilled you enjoyed studying abroad with us and will pass along your suggestions to our Program Management team. Best of luck back in NYC!

Read my full story
Brynn

Amazing Experience with CEA

If you have the opportunity to study abroad with CEA, take it! Studying abroad is one of the most influential and rewarding experiences and CEA provides all of the tools needed to have the best experience possible. The location of the school is right in the heart of the city, the staff is absolutely amazing, and the apartments have great locations. The school has a great support system if you ever need anything, and also provides numerous outside of the class activities if you are looking to meet new people or get out of your comfort zone. They also provide you with weekend trips, and one of my favorite trips with CEA was a weekend trip to Madrid. It was so well organized and was the perfect opportunity to get out of Barcelona for the weekend for almost no money at all. Nothing but great things to say about CEA!

Let me stay another semester!
Barcelona, Spain
Sarah

Amazing Experience in Barcelona

CEA has been wonderful every step of the way during my study abroad experience. I've been in Barcelona for almost 3 months now and I'm very happy with all CEA has done to make my stay here amazing. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I especially love the activities and trips that are planned for students, whether it is a weekend trip to the Pyrenees mountains or a tapas cooking workshop. CEA really wants to help immerse you into the culture of your host city and I think they do a great job with it. I love what I am learning in class and especially love when the education extends beyond the classroom during field studies. Overall, I've had a fantastic time studying abroad so far!

I really love all my classes but I think some could be a bit more challenging or make better use out of the time. But I still think they are all really great!
Sierra

Sierra Best Experience Ever

Choosing to go abroad was such an exciting and life-changing decision, and CEA made the transition and duration of my stay SO amazing. From the second you sign up for the program, you have an incredible and constant support system that is available to answer any questions and offer advice. They even have friendly staffers that pick you up from the airport upon arrival and personally take you to your apartment. But it doesn't stop there. The teachers are an incredible resource of knowledge and experience, and I genuinely enjoyed going to class every day to learn from them. Barcelona itself is one of the most exciting and beautiful places on Earth, but can feel overwhelming sometimes and the staff does a fantastic job of making it feel a little more accessible. I enjoyed every second of my study abroad experience, and it wouldn't have been possible without CEA.

I wish the program could be even longer, I never wanted to go home.
Read my full story
Katie

Best Semester of My Life!

I loved living in Barcelona and I don't think I would have had the same experience had I not gone through CEA. They provide you with everything you need. And they give you the best housing around the city. My roommates and I were placed a little further from the city center which we thought would be tough but I could not have been more appreciative of this experience. Besides that, CEA also has amazing excursions and field trips that you can take with them that are essentially part of your tuition. I loved being able to take advantage of these little side trips while sometimes not even having to leave Barcelona. I have come to learn so much about myself and about the world through the amazing classes I took abroad.

Alexander

CEA Barcelona

Absolutely life-changing. I encourage anybody and everybody to go abroad, though obviously I'm a little biased towards Barcelona. CEA provided me with an excellent program, from housing to classes to weekend excursions. We had opportunities to travel to great cities like Madrid or Toledo for next to nothing, not to mention we were given a three day weekend, every weekend. Living in a Barcelona will never fade from memory, it was pure ecstasy; meeting locals, speaking other languages, and reveling in the presence of a different culture was the just the tip of the iceberg. As I've learned since my return to the states, one could talk endlessly about their experiences abroad, and I've not encountered a single person who didn't enjoy their stay in that fabulous city! Just go.

It honestly left very little to be desired!
Anne

Smooth Sailing!

Deciding to go study abroad was the easy part. The hard part was making plans to actually go. Not knowing what I was doing was nerve-racking, but with CEA they made everything so easy! Their staff was so helpful whenever I had questions about anything, from housing to registering for classes.
The CEA staff on sight becomes part of your study abroad family and you'll never want to go home!
They truly want to make your travel abroad experience like nothing you've ever done before!

Location:
72 F / 43 F
Airports:
Barcelona–El Prat
( BCN )

Whether you prefer beaches, buildings, or history, Barcelona is the place to be. Spend your time admiring Gaudi's work at La Sagrada Familia, walking down the Mar Bella beach, or learning about the history in Catalonia.

About CEA Study Abroad

With 23 destinations across 13 countries, CEA Study Abroad offers an ideal balance of academics, internships, and adventure to more than 4,000 students each year. Find out where learning abroad can take you by clicking the “Visit Site” button and...