IES Abroad Barcelona - Liberal Arts & Business

There are a wide variety of courses available, primarily taught in English by our world-class faculty. When you arrive, you are grouped into language proficiency-based levels to focus your course enrollment options. This will also provide a sense of community with your fellow students and will challenge you to maximize your learning.

In addition to your Spanish language course, you will choose from a variety of English-taught IES Abroad courses, as well as Spanish- and English-taught local university courses to round out your semester. All IES Abroad courses include field study activities that help you connect coursework with your surroundings. You can also take Spanish-taught IES Abroad courses.

Yes, there are 4 day breaks twice throughout the Fall semester.
As far I as I know you need to be a current undergraduate student. At least everyone in my program was. You should also verify with IES themselves.

Kylee

Wish I could go back!!

I loved every second of my time in Barcelona. Not only was IES extremely accommodating before I arrived, they also were helpful once I was there (ex. I got sick and someone physically walked me to the doctor). I lived in an apartment in the center of the city only about a 10-15 minute breathtaking walk to class. In between classes, I would explore all around the city. My professors were awesome and provided good tips for travel, eating, school--you name it. I was so sad to leave and think everyone should have a study abroad experience like I had!

Faith

Cultural Immersion

Going abroad it’s hard to know exactly what to expect; however, IES Abroad makes the process easy and smooth. I was able to accomplish all my goals and interests while abroad. I was able to take 15 credits that transferred directly to my home institution and participate in an marketing internship while living with an amazing host mother and traveling most weeks. I loved being able to live in Barcelona and travel to other countries around Europe and Morocco. IES offers multiple field trip options for those who are a little nervous traveling on their own. Through out my time abroad, I had the opportunity to travel and dive into the Spanish and Catalan cultures which is exactly what I was looking for. Study Abroad is your journey so choose wisely and go with a program that fits your dreams, I know that's why I chose IES Abroad.

Lyric

The Time of My Life!

By choosing to study at IES Abroad in Barcelona, I was privileged to have a once in a life time experience. I was able to meet new people, travel to so many new places, and immerse myself in new cultures. I was able to gain so much more independence and become a more self-reliant person. Not only was this time in my life the most fun and exciting, but it was also a time for educational growth. The classes I took at IES were manageable, but very educational. My teachers were also wonderful and set up the classes in a way that was easy to learn.

Although I was able to travel to many other wonderful countries in Europe, I am so grateful to have picked Spain, as it was the perfect place. There is so much to do and so many beautiful places to see. Even though my apartment was one of the further ones from the IES building, I ended up living directly across the street from Camp Nou, the football stadium, which was amazing! Some of my other favorite places in Barcelona are the beach and Bunkers del Carmel where you can get a beautiful view of the whole city!

The only way I feel that this program could be improved is to maybe try to have students live closer together, because sometimes it was hard to get together with friends.
Ilana

My Semester in Barcelona

Barcelona offers anything and everything that one could possibly want in a city in which to spend a semster abroad. I fell in love with the culture, the people, the food, the architecture, and grew so much more comfortable with the language. My favorite aspect of the city is the countless neighborhoods to explore that all have extremely different vibes. The public transportation made for seamless exploration and felt extremely safe as well as easy to navigate. While in Barcelona, I never felt unsafe or uneasy about my surroundings. It's prime location makes travel throughout Europe easy and manageable.

IES exceeded all expectations. The pre-departure information IES provided answered all of my questions and calmed any remaining nerves. My family received correspondence before, during and after my journey including information on my re-adaptation to living in the US after such an unforgettable time away. The apartments that my friends and I were assigned to by IES were all in great locations with everything that we could possibly need for daily life. We were all assigned a local student to live in our apartment to teach us first-hand about Barcelona life as well as help us with any issues we may run into.

Above all, IES provided me with all of the resources I needed regarding learning to live in a country so dissimilar to my own. IES is located in the heart of the city, and provided us with excellent class choices, study spaces, and academic resources. My favorite part of the scholastic aspect of studying abroad was the relevancy of the course material. I felt that I learned material in class that would help me to thrive in my time abroad as well as further understand the beautiful country of Spain.

Isabella

A Semester in Barcelona

My experience studying abroad with IES Abroad was extremely immersive. I lived with a host mother, who I still remain in contact with. Within my first few weeks I ventured out in the city with IES led programs - such as a bicycle tour of the city. I noticed myself falling in love with Barcelona throughout the semester. It’s a ginormous city, yet so easy to navigate on foot, and IES provided students with all the best resources to find out way around.

Another huge component of studying abroad is the study! The resources, study spaces, professor interactions and overall course material provided by IES was extremely beneficial. I loved how fun the professors made the courses, as well as the new knowledge I gained.

Hollie

IES Abroad Barcelona- Must do!

I had such an incredible experience through IES. IES not only provided us with great classes that easily would transfer to my partner university, but also enabled us to truly have a cultural experience in those classes. I was able to take a few classes at local universities in Barcelona with students from all over the world which was a truly unique experience. IES also provided students with so many extra activities such as field trips or weekend trips to other parts of Spain. There were always activities going on during the week such as wine tastings, or cultural events. This program really positively impacted my life and helped me become an independent, cultured student. I highly recommend the program and traveling to Barcelona!!!

Emily

The Best Months of My Life

Throughout my college years I was never set on studying abroad. I was always a homebody and choose to go to a college that was close to my hometown. However, last minute I decided to submit my application for IES Abroad Barcelona and follow through with the journey. It was hands down the best decision I have made in my life. From this experience I got to travel the world, meet new people, and learn so much about myself. Barcelona made me feel as home. My program, IES Abroad Barcelona, made me feel at home. The staff and professors at IES Abroad Barcelona will do everything in their power to make sure you are getting the most out of studying abroad. While they still have expectations, they understand that you will be taking time to travel and explore the world. I am so thankful that I had the change to experience this journey. It is something you will remember for the rest of your life.

Emma

Advanced Spanish Studies

I enrolled in the IES Abroad Barcelona - Advanced Spanish Studies program. It sounds incredibly cliche, but I fell in love with Barcelona as well as with traveling. The program made the transition into living abroad easy. For first-time Europe travelers such as myself, it was reassuring to have solid support. The academics were challenging but did not interfere with exploring and immersing yourself in a new culture. I had an excellent housing arrangement and still keep in touch with my host family months after leaving. I am not much of a party-goer, but I heard that the social scene and night life in Barcelona is unforgettable. Even while using public transportation late at night, I still felt safe and knew which areas to avoid.

I would definitely have more contact with locals. My immediate circle included my host family and my fellow American peers. Even my classes at an outside institution were also American. I don't regret it because I knew I would have been overwhelmed if I had studied in Barcelona by myself, but the immersion with locals portion definitely needs to be improved.
Emily

Identity

I have never thought about I will be able to go visit Barcelona in a much more meaningful way. Being able to visit my dream city for honeymoon (such a girly dream, but it's true) as a student is way more fun than just a tourist for 3-5days. I get to stay with a homestay that do not speak English, which helps me improve my body language and Spanish quite a lot. I have no experience in Spanish at all before going. But during those two months, I can at least have some small conversation with others. I tried so many things while I am there, food, city life, night life, and more importantly is being able to figure things out by yourself like an independent adult. I also use one of the weekend to go visit Belgium with the friends I made there. However, while having tons of fun there, we also study a lot as well, which is pretty nice for someone want to get some extra credit for school. It's really nice that I can study and play at the same time in a foreign country, and still can be able to get credits. I also made a tons of international friends there as well, I think that enrich me a lot more as a student since I get to communicate with them and know about different culture and opinions. In addition, throughout the journey, I realized that I found myself or discovered a lot of things "about me".
Overall, the whole experience just amazing. Even when I was sick for couple weeks, there are teachers, staff or other resources that you can use. I would definitely go again with IES. LOVE IT!!!!

Lucy

My Semester in Barcelona Spain

I studied abroad spring of 2017 in Barcelona, Spain, and I could not recommend a program more! From enthusiastic and helpful staff to simply being in an upbeat city, it truly elevated my undergrad experience. Although academics may be surprisingly difficult to students, there was plenty of time to immerse yourself in the culture of the city and also to Travel! The program also created opportunities for students to meet and travel with other students, as well as explore important aspects of the city! Additionally, I never spoke Spanish before this semester, which turned out totally fine, but also allowed me to learn a lot of another language in a relatively short time! If I could do it again I would definitely pick IES Abroad Barcelona.

I think that accommodating students more academically could improve the program, e.g. being less strict about attendance and making it easier to succeed.
Sophia

Best College Semester You Could Ever Have

My time in Barcelona through IES Abroad was absolutely phenomenal. I was looking to study abroad but as a rehabilitation psychology major, I worried that I would not be able to find a program that fit my specific major. However, with the IES Liberal Arts program in Barcelona, I was able to complete classes that would allow me to take classes that counted toward my degree. I hadn't been abroad before either, but after I got there and saw how beautiful the city was and the people there waiting to welcome me, I had no worries at all. I had a host mom and lived in an apartment in Lesseps, a neighborhood of Barcelona (as well as a metro stop). She helped me practice my Spanish and become acquainted with the city. My classes at IES were conveniently located right in the center of the city. I only had a little Spanish before coming to this program, so I took all my classes in English-- but by the time I left, my Spanish had improved tremendously. I can call my host mom now and have a conversation with her with no difficulty whatsoever. IES also offered subsidized programs as well, which I highly recommend! I was so surprised at how many students did not take advantage of those Friday or weekend trips. They plan Friday outings or full weekend trips for you to go on and you only pay a subsidized fee for the entire thing-- and they take care of everything for you so you can just enjoy it! All in all, I highly recommend studying abroad in Barcelona. It is an experience that cannot be compared to the average semester on your home campus. Studying abroad is a journey that gives you so many opportunities that you wouldn't be able to have otherwise. If you're considering study abroad, I can't recommend this program and city highly enough. It's a memory of my life that I treasure every single day.

My only concern with this program was that many of the classes did not match up in terms of course load. One class could have several papers and projects, while others only had a few but both were equal in the amount of credit and class time.
Kiaran

Lady in Spain

If you are planning on studying abroad for the first time, I highly recommend this program. They do an amazing job of walking you through predeparture information, paperwork, etc. They also provide you with tons of resources when it comes to getting to know the city and the culture. Barcelona was the perfect place to be - easy to travel to and from, but also very rich with activity and places to explore! I wish I could've spent more time abroad. Before going abroad, 4 months seemed like a really long time, but in hindsight, I should've planned to stay even longer.

Incorporating the academics with other Spanish students. Sometimes it was hard spending class with only Americans.
katrina

abroad

When going abroad concerns start to run through you mind; how do i get home? what if i dont get the classes i need? where should i live? IES abroad looked after everything. Things i had to find out for myself, get a sim card dont use your data for useless things like instagram or facebook. Download google maps it is the best for public transportation in all of the cities that i traveled to. IES looks after you and will help you to get all of the classes that you need. Use time out either online or magazine, it will give you up to date information about things that are happening like markets or cultural events. Take full advantage of every situation, go out and explore, expand your friend zone, go to a meet and speak, have fun!!

Jenna

IES Barcelona, la mejor experiencia de mi vida

IES provided the best experience I could ask for in a study abroad program. I participated in the IES Barcelona: Liberal Arts and Business program during the fall semester of 2016. Before I left, IES was very communicative with all the necessary information about things to do before departure. It all feels very overwhelming at first, but IES explained all the steps, including housing, Visas, and more in a clear and immensely helpful way. They offered a wide variety of classes so I was able to take some in my field as well as others that fascinated me. I can say with certainty that the quality of the education IES provides is amazing. As a foreign affairs major, this was the absolute best opportunity for me to learn about the world in an immersive and engaging setting. The faculty were incredible and always there to help or talk to. The classes were probably more challenging than most study abroad classes, but I learned so much, and it definitely was not too much work because I traveled or explored Barcelona every weekend! I stayed in an apartment with four roommates. I did not get a language immersive experience as I would have had in a homestay, but I enjoyed being independent and the freedom it allowed. Also, I have heard there is a discrepancy in the quality of the apartments, so while mine was decent, others were much better and others were much worse. For the city specifically, Barcelona is the best! There are endless amounts of things to do, the weather is gorgeous, and it is a central travel hub so getting around Europe is so easy. I miss it so much and this experience will be one that I will never ever forget. 10/10 would recommend Barcelona and IES!

Sophie

How I Fell for Barcelona

I studied abroad in Barcelona for the fall semester of 2016. Unlike a lot of programs that offer a select number of classes, IES Barcelona Liberal Arts & Business offers an endless list of courses to fit the interests and major requirements of every student. Through this program, I was able to intern part-time for a local apartment rental company, an experience that connected me to the city in a really special way, along with broadening my professional network across seas. Because the program invites so many students to participate, the student body in this program is very large and therefore chooses students of varying schools, backgrounds and fields of study. In Barcelona, you never run out of things to do. I wrote a “Barcelona Bucket List” that I got about 20% of the way through, which only gives me an excuse to return in the near future! The location of Barcelona in relation to the rest of Europe is ideal, as it takes less than 2 hours by plane to get to all the main European destinations, and the flights are often extremely inexpensive. And since there are no classes on Fridays, you have 3 out of the 7 days of the week to travel! Regardless of where I traveled on the weekends, I was always so excited to return to my favorite city for the start of a new week. IES Barcelona Liberal Arts & Business has all the aspects of a study abroad program that I was looking for, and I know countless other students who feel the same way!

There could have been shorter class periods and more access to travel guides for different cities.

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...