IES Abroad Barcelona – Liberal Arts & Business

the most beautiful sight in europe
the most beautiful sight in europe
greatest host parents in the world
greatest host parents in the world

There are a wide variety of courses available, primarily taught in English by our world-class faculty. When you arrive, you are grouped into language proficiency-based levels to focus your course enrollment options. This will also provide a sense of community with your fellow students and will challenge you to maximize your learning.

In addition to your Spanish language course, you will choose from a variety of English-taught IES Abroad courses, as well as Spanish- and English-taught local university courses to round out your semester. All IES Abroad courses include field study activities that help you connect coursework with your surroundings. You can also take Spanish-taught IES Abroad courses.

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Yes, there are 4 day breaks twice throughout the Fall semester.

As far I as I know you need to be a current undergraduate student. At least everyone in my program was. You should also verify with IES themselves.

• Instruction 9.5
  • Academic Rigor 8.5
  • Job Assistance 9
  • Instruction 9
Hansini

Unique Experience

My experience at IES Barcelona was nothing short of amazing. I tremendously improved my Spanish and took courses I always wanted to explore. IES made it easy for students like myself to explore the city. This immersive program has taught me a lot about myself and I am forever grateful for having had the opportunity to study in such a dynamic city. It is worth mentioning that transportation in Barcelona is AWESOME! The bus runs 24/7 and generally very safe. The only thing to be mindful of is pickpockets but for what it's worth, I was extremely careful and managed to get by without any issues.

Take the time to interact with locals! People are so friendly and you'll learn so much more about the city!
Simone

Barcelona!!

Being on this program has really changed me as a person. As a result of studying abroad in this dream location, I was able to experience many different types of environments in one location! From the mountains, to the beaches, to the many plazas and cultural festivities, I was happily immersed in my host city. Barcelona is such an amazing location to study abroad and I would highly recommend doing it with IES Abroad. They made sure from pre-departure to the last day in my host city, that all students were informed and prepared for anything. The staff were extremely helpful, welcoming and always open to sharing their favorite recommendable local gems for students to visit! IES helped students get on their feet and understand how and what types of things they could get themselves immersed in. Whether that was introducing us to tapas, encouraging us to take free dance classes, planning brunch at a beach restaurant, planning hikes, and taking us on trips to other cities outside of Catalonia such as Madrid, IES ensured that we were able to take advantage of such offered opportunities all while preparing us to create our own memories with our own desires to visit other destinations.

For housing, I lived in a homestay with a very welcoming woman and other study abroad students from my program. Each night we all had dinner and talked about the upcoming weekend and things happening in the city, all in Spanish! She was always there to help us with any concerns we had regarding where to go, what to see, and how to get there in the best way. She encouraged us to hang out with friends and explore the city and its amazing culture!

For classes, we had a good variety of options. We also had the option to take courses at a local university, which I took advantage of. I took some of my classes at and extension of UAB. By doing this, I was able to be in another neighborhood for classes, take the metro to class and really understand how to get in and around Barcelona. Unfortunately, my classes did not have local university students but it was still a valuable chance to get outside of the program classes.

Sophie

A Semester on Vacation

My time in Barcelona was very fun and a great learning experience. I spent a lot more time in class and doing homework than I had expected, however, I loved the content that I was learning about in the courses that I was taking. The classes that IES offered were very diverse and interesting and no matter what your major is, there is a class for you. My favorite class was "Science and Society" and "Mediterranean Environment," both taught by the same, amazing professor. These classes helped me understand more about Spain, Europe, specifically the Mediterranean.
I was able to spend a lot of time relaxing in my room and exploring the city. IES allows you to have as much downtime as you want but they also offer a lot of programs that you can get involved with so the entire experience is really what you make of it. The experiences that I had with IES were very memorable and personal. I felt like most of the staff knew who I was and the things that I was involved in. Everyone has the same opportunities through IES and you will get the most out of your experience if you partake in these opportunities or make some of your own. I would go back and do it all over again if I could.

Pre-departure information about what to expect while abroad. Housing situation expectations.
Catherine

Truly life-changing

I initially chose to study abroad in Barcelona to improve my Spanish, but I got this and so much more out of my experience. I grew so much as a person while I was there and now I feel truly independent and cable traveling, speaking Spanish, and taking advantage of every opportunity. Every time you turn a corner in this beautiful city, there is something spectacular to look at or something exciting to do. IES helped to guide my experience and you can use their resources as much or as little as you prefer! I recommend going on as many of the IES Discover programs as possible because they find the best guides and activities as a discounted price. I would not change a thing about my experience abroad.

Learn to put down your phone. Taking pictures is fun, but you get the most out of being fully engaged in your surroundings. Also, even though using directions on your phone is important sometimes, let yourself "get lost" in the city and you will run into some amazing things.
Natalie

My perfect semester!

I went to Barcelona through IES last year without knowing a single person. I landed in Spain overwhelmed by the fact that I did not know anyone and that I was in an entirely new place. So I decided then to go into this experience with a completely open mind and by the end of my semester, I was flying home with an entirely new outlook and perspective. Study abroad gave me the opportunity to travel the world and truly immerse myself in the culture and history of a place thousands of miles away from me. I learned about art, politics, and life abroad. I also spent a lot of time getting to know my professors and they were always willing to give out recommendations and advice. Overall, it was an incredible experience and I encourage people to push themselves out of the comfort zones and adventure!

Marqui

"Not better or worse, just different."

When you travel anywhere, there is only so much that words can do to describe your experience, if you weren't there you'll never fully understand.With that being said, I will still try my absolute best to describe to you my experience. Studying and interning in Barcelona, Spain was life changing, to say the very least. Not only was I adapting to a new culture and language, meeting new people, learning new things and seeing new sights, but I gained a new perspective on life overall. One of the biggest take aways I got from Spain was, "if something is different, it does not have to be better or worse, it is just different". That is a perspective that changed my entire view of life and I took back with me to the States. IES and their staff truly brought that quote meaning to life in everyday class settings, field trips, excursions or just conversations. My experience and time in Spain was only as amazing as it was, due to IES. The support staff prior to my departure were very helpful, but once I got there it was phenomenal. IES does an amazing job at truly immersing you into Spainish culture. There are so many informational and cultural excursions you can go to, language assistance and even personal-life support. Anything you can think about potentially needing while living in a foreign country, IES has you covered and then some. I never felt alone or unsafe due to the supportive staff at IES. I am so grateful to have chosen a program that truly cares about the students in the program and the outcome of their experience and future. I would recommend this program to any and everybody and I promise you I am not getting paid or any incentive to say this. If you want more details about my experience abroad please feel free to email me at: mglinsey@umail.iu.edu.

The only thing I can think of as far as improvements for IES would be to provide a bigger facility due to increased enrollment.
June

Amazing Experience

I met so many people from all over the world at the local museums including my favorite, MACBA. I learned so much about the culture and region from inside of the walls of the university. I would not have been able to have this experience without the program, and I commend the staff for all the work they do making the students comfortable and informed.
I would recommend thinking about where you will live thoroughly. There are pros and cons to all options. It really depends on the type of experience you are trying to get. When living with a family, you have to tell them where you are and report back more. There is less freedom than an apartment or dorm, but you get breakfast and dinner everyday- if you want. It is also extremely useful if you are planning to learn about the culture on a deeper level and get better with the language.

It would be nice to have more financial aid options. My home was not much help, so getting funds for the program was a struggle. I applied for the financial aid and received around 2,000 to help with the cost, but it was still very stressful.
Kylee

Wish I could go back!!

I loved every second of my time in Barcelona. Not only was IES extremely accommodating before I arrived, they also were helpful once I was there (ex. I got sick and someone physically walked me to the doctor). I lived in an apartment in the center of the city only about a 10-15 minute breathtaking walk to class. In between classes, I would explore all around the city. My professors were awesome and provided good tips for travel, eating, school--you name it. I was so sad to leave and think everyone should have a study abroad experience like I had!

Faith

Cultural Immersion

Going abroad it’s hard to know exactly what to expect; however, IES Abroad makes the process easy and smooth. I was able to accomplish all my goals and interests while abroad. I was able to take 15 credits that transferred directly to my home institution and participate in an marketing internship while living with an amazing host mother and traveling most weeks. I loved being able to live in Barcelona and travel to other countries around Europe and Morocco. IES offers multiple field trip options for those who are a little nervous traveling on their own. Through out my time abroad, I had the opportunity to travel and dive into the Spanish and Catalan cultures which is exactly what I was looking for. Study Abroad is your journey so choose wisely and go with a program that fits your dreams, I know that's why I chose IES Abroad.

Lyric

The Time of My Life!

By choosing to study at IES Abroad in Barcelona, I was privileged to have a once in a life time experience. I was able to meet new people, travel to so many new places, and immerse myself in new cultures. I was able to gain so much more independence and become a more self-reliant person. Not only was this time in my life the most fun and exciting, but it was also a time for educational growth. The classes I took at IES were manageable, but very educational. My teachers were also wonderful and set up the classes in a way that was easy to learn.

Although I was able to travel to many other wonderful countries in Europe, I am so grateful to have picked Spain, as it was the perfect place. There is so much to do and so many beautiful places to see. Even though my apartment was one of the further ones from the IES building, I ended up living directly across the street from Camp Nou, the football stadium, which was amazing! Some of my other favorite places in Barcelona are the beach and Bunkers del Carmel where you can get a beautiful view of the whole city!

The only way I feel that this program could be improved is to maybe try to have students live closer together, because sometimes it was hard to get together with friends.
Ilana

My Semester in Barcelona

Barcelona offers anything and everything that one could possibly want in a city in which to spend a semster abroad. I fell in love with the culture, the people, the food, the architecture, and grew so much more comfortable with the language. My favorite aspect of the city is the countless neighborhoods to explore that all have extremely different vibes. The public transportation made for seamless exploration and felt extremely safe as well as easy to navigate. While in Barcelona, I never felt unsafe or uneasy about my surroundings. It's prime location makes travel throughout Europe easy and manageable.

IES exceeded all expectations. The pre-departure information IES provided answered all of my questions and calmed any remaining nerves. My family received correspondence before, during and after my journey including information on my re-adaptation to living in the US after such an unforgettable time away. The apartments that my friends and I were assigned to by IES were all in great locations with everything that we could possibly need for daily life. We were all assigned a local student to live in our apartment to teach us first-hand about Barcelona life as well as help us with any issues we may run into.

Above all, IES provided me with all of the resources I needed regarding learning to live in a country so dissimilar to my own. IES is located in the heart of the city, and provided us with excellent class choices, study spaces, and academic resources. My favorite part of the scholastic aspect of studying abroad was the relevancy of the course material. I felt that I learned material in class that would help me to thrive in my time abroad as well as further understand the beautiful country of Spain.

Isabella

A Semester in Barcelona

My experience studying abroad with IES Abroad was extremely immersive. I lived with a host mother, who I still remain in contact with. Within my first few weeks I ventured out in the city with IES led programs - such as a bicycle tour of the city. I noticed myself falling in love with Barcelona throughout the semester. It’s a ginormous city, yet so easy to navigate on foot, and IES provided students with all the best resources to find out way around.

Another huge component of studying abroad is the study! The resources, study spaces, professor interactions and overall course material provided by IES was extremely beneficial. I loved how fun the professors made the courses, as well as the new knowledge I gained.

Hollie

IES Abroad Barcelona- Must do!

I had such an incredible experience through IES. IES not only provided us with great classes that easily would transfer to my partner university, but also enabled us to truly have a cultural experience in those classes. I was able to take a few classes at local universities in Barcelona with students from all over the world which was a truly unique experience. IES also provided students with so many extra activities such as field trips or weekend trips to other parts of Spain. There were always activities going on during the week such as wine tastings, or cultural events. This program really positively impacted my life and helped me become an independent, cultured student. I highly recommend the program and traveling to Barcelona!!!

Emily

The Best Months of My Life

Throughout my college years I was never set on studying abroad. I was always a homebody and choose to go to a college that was close to my hometown. However, last minute I decided to submit my application for IES Abroad Barcelona and follow through with the journey. It was hands down the best decision I have made in my life. From this experience I got to travel the world, meet new people, and learn so much about myself. Barcelona made me feel as home. My program, IES Abroad Barcelona, made me feel at home. The staff and professors at IES Abroad Barcelona will do everything in their power to make sure you are getting the most out of studying abroad. While they still have expectations, they understand that you will be taking time to travel and explore the world. I am so thankful that I had the change to experience this journey. It is something you will remember for the rest of your life.

Emma

Advanced Spanish Studies

I enrolled in the IES Abroad Barcelona - Advanced Spanish Studies program. It sounds incredibly cliche, but I fell in love with Barcelona as well as with traveling. The program made the transition into living abroad easy. For first-time Europe travelers such as myself, it was reassuring to have solid support. The academics were challenging but did not interfere with exploring and immersing yourself in a new culture. I had an excellent housing arrangement and still keep in touch with my host family months after leaving. I am not much of a party-goer, but I heard that the social scene and night life in Barcelona is unforgettable. Even while using public transportation late at night, I still felt safe and knew which areas to avoid.

I would definitely have more contact with locals. My immediate circle included my host family and my fellow American peers. Even my classes at an outside institution were also American. I don't regret it because I knew I would have been overwhelmed if I had studied in Barcelona by myself, but the immersion with locals portion definitely needs to be improved.