IES Abroad Barcelona – Liberal Arts & Business

There are a wide variety of courses available, primarily taught in English by our world-class faculty. When you arrive, you are grouped into language proficiency-based levels to focus your course enrollment options. This will also provide a sense of community with your fellow students and will challenge you to maximize your learning.

In addition to your Spanish language course, you will choose from a variety of English-taught IES Abroad courses, as well as Spanish- and English-taught local university courses to round out your semester. All IES Abroad courses include field study activities that help you connect coursework with your surroundings. You can also take Spanish-taught IES Abroad courses.

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Yes, there are 4 day breaks twice throughout the Fall semester.

As far I as I know you need to be a current undergraduate student. At least everyone in my program was. You should also verify with IES themselves.

Basmattie

My fantastic study abroad experience!

My study abroad experience with IES Barcelona will be a memory I will forever cherish! I am happy that I was able to explore a vibrant city rich with culture, amazing sites, delicious food, and warm hospitality. I was pleased with the classes I took with my program because I found them all relevant and engaging. By the end of the program, my Spanish speaking skills had improved drastically, and I have my Spanish class and my host family to thank for that. I feel very happy to have been matched with an incredibly welcoming host family. My host parents shared with me delicious food, recommendations, important information and helpful advice. I was very comfortable going to them for help if I ever needed anything and although my study abroad experience is over, I still keep in contact with them. Overall, I was very pleased with how my study abroad experience turned out and would definitely recommend it.

My advice is to be open to making new connections and navigating the culture and city. Reflect on your experience, challenge yourself to try something new and grow from the little mishaps and mistakes that may happen along the way.
Hansini

Unique Experience

My experience at IES Barcelona was nothing short of amazing. I tremendously improved my Spanish and took courses I always wanted to explore. IES made it easy for students like myself to explore the city. This immersive program has taught me a lot about myself and I am forever grateful for having had the opportunity to study in such a dynamic city. It is worth mentioning that transportation in Barcelona is AWESOME! The bus runs 24/7 and generally very safe. The only thing to be mindful of is pickpockets but for what it's worth, I was extremely careful and managed to get by without any issues.

Take the time to interact with locals! People are so friendly and you'll learn so much more about the city!
Simone

Barcelona!!

Being on this program has really changed me as a person. As a result of studying abroad in this dream location, I was able to experience many different types of environments in one location! From the mountains, to the beaches, to the many plazas and cultural festivities, I was happily immersed in my host city. Barcelona is such an amazing location to study abroad and I would highly recommend doing it with IES Abroad. They made sure from pre-departure to the last day in my host city, that all students were informed and prepared for anything. The staff were extremely helpful, welcoming and always open to sharing their favorite recommendable local gems for students to visit! IES helped students get on their feet and understand how and what types of things they could get themselves immersed in. Whether that was introducing us to tapas, encouraging us to take free dance classes, planning brunch at a beach restaurant, planning hikes, and taking us on trips to other cities outside of Catalonia such as Madrid, IES ensured that we were able to take advantage of such offered opportunities all while preparing us to create our own memories with our own desires to visit other destinations.

For housing, I lived in a homestay with a very welcoming woman and other study abroad students from my program. Each night we all had dinner and talked about the upcoming weekend and things happening in the city, all in Spanish! She was always there to help us with any concerns we had regarding where to go, what to see, and how to get there in the best way. She encouraged us to hang out with friends and explore the city and its amazing culture!

For classes, we had a good variety of options. We also had the option to take courses at a local university, which I took advantage of. I took some of my classes at and extension of UAB. By doing this, I was able to be in another neighborhood for classes, take the metro to class and really understand how to get in and around Barcelona. Unfortunately, my classes did not have local university students but it was still a valuable chance to get outside of the program classes.

Sophie

A Semester on Vacation

My time in Barcelona was very fun and a great learning experience. I spent a lot more time in class and doing homework than I had expected, however, I loved the content that I was learning about in the courses that I was taking. The classes that IES offered were very diverse and interesting and no matter what your major is, there is a class for you. My favorite class was "Science and Society" and "Mediterranean Environment," both taught by the same, amazing professor. These classes helped me understand more about Spain, Europe, specifically the Mediterranean.
I was able to spend a lot of time relaxing in my room and exploring the city. IES allows you to have as much downtime as you want but they also offer a lot of programs that you can get involved with so the entire experience is really what you make of it. The experiences that I had with IES were very memorable and personal. I felt like most of the staff knew who I was and the things that I was involved in. Everyone has the same opportunities through IES and you will get the most out of your experience if you partake in these opportunities or make some of your own. I would go back and do it all over again if I could.

Pre-departure information about what to expect while abroad. Housing situation expectations.
Catherine

Truly life-changing

I initially chose to study abroad in Barcelona to improve my Spanish, but I got this and so much more out of my experience. I grew so much as a person while I was there and now I feel truly independent and cable traveling, speaking Spanish, and taking advantage of every opportunity. Every time you turn a corner in this beautiful city, there is something spectacular to look at or something exciting to do. IES helped to guide my experience and you can use their resources as much or as little as you prefer! I recommend going on as many of the IES Discover programs as possible because they find the best guides and activities as a discounted price. I would not change a thing about my experience abroad.

Learn to put down your phone. Taking pictures is fun, but you get the most out of being fully engaged in your surroundings. Also, even though using directions on your phone is important sometimes, let yourself "get lost" in the city and you will run into some amazing things.
Natalie

My perfect semester!

I went to Barcelona through IES last year without knowing a single person. I landed in Spain overwhelmed by the fact that I did not know anyone and that I was in an entirely new place. So I decided then to go into this experience with a completely open mind and by the end of my semester, I was flying home with an entirely new outlook and perspective. Study abroad gave me the opportunity to travel the world and truly immerse myself in the culture and history of a place thousands of miles away from me. I learned about art, politics, and life abroad. I also spent a lot of time getting to know my professors and they were always willing to give out recommendations and advice. Overall, it was an incredible experience and I encourage people to push themselves out of the comfort zones and adventure!

Marqui

"Not better or worse, just different."

When you travel anywhere, there is only so much that words can do to describe your experience, if you weren't there you'll never fully understand.With that being said, I will still try my absolute best to describe to you my experience. Studying and interning in Barcelona, Spain was life changing, to say the very least. Not only was I adapting to a new culture and language, meeting new people, learning new things and seeing new sights, but I gained a new perspective on life overall. One of the biggest take aways I got from Spain was, "if something is different, it does not have to be better or worse, it is just different". That is a perspective that changed my entire view of life and I took back with me to the States. IES and their staff truly brought that quote meaning to life in everyday class settings, field trips, excursions or just conversations. My experience and time in Spain was only as amazing as it was, due to IES. The support staff prior to my departure were very helpful, but once I got there it was phenomenal. IES does an amazing job at truly immersing you into Spainish culture. There are so many informational and cultural excursions you can go to, language assistance and even personal-life support. Anything you can think about potentially needing while living in a foreign country, IES has you covered and then some. I never felt alone or unsafe due to the supportive staff at IES. I am so grateful to have chosen a program that truly cares about the students in the program and the outcome of their experience and future. I would recommend this program to any and everybody and I promise you I am not getting paid or any incentive to say this. If you want more details about my experience abroad please feel free to email me at: mglinsey@umail.iu.edu.

The only thing I can think of as far as improvements for IES would be to provide a bigger facility due to increased enrollment.
June

Amazing Experience

I met so many people from all over the world at the local museums including my favorite, MACBA. I learned so much about the culture and region from inside of the walls of the university. I would not have been able to have this experience without the program, and I commend the staff for all the work they do making the students comfortable and informed.
I would recommend thinking about where you will live thoroughly. There are pros and cons to all options. It really depends on the type of experience you are trying to get. When living with a family, you have to tell them where you are and report back more. There is less freedom than an apartment or dorm, but you get breakfast and dinner everyday- if you want. It is also extremely useful if you are planning to learn about the culture on a deeper level and get better with the language.

It would be nice to have more financial aid options. My home was not much help, so getting funds for the program was a struggle. I applied for the financial aid and received around 2,000 to help with the cost, but it was still very stressful.