Teach & Learn in Spain, Instituto Franklin-UAH

Center of Alcalá de Henares
Center of Alcalá de Henares
So focused
So focused

The Teach & Learn in Spain Program was established to provide English speakers the opportunity to earn a master’s degree while living in Spain. Our program allows students the flexibility to study, teach, and travel - without breaking the bank! This innovative program gives students hands-on experience in the classroom while they earn a master’s degree. Students also receive a monthly stipend and private health insurance.

This is a yearlong accredited academic program from the University of Alcala (60ECTS credits).
The cost of the program is:
€0 for Option A (scholarship option with tuition remission)
€3.800 for Option B

MA in Teaching
MA in Bilingual and Multicultural Education
MA in Global Higher Education

• 1 year program with blended Instruction: online and onsite
  • Hands on teaching experience at a school in the region of Madrid
  • Monthly stipend for assistantship
  • In the heart of the city of Miguel de Cervantes (author of Don Quijote)
  • Private health insurance included

Hi Caroline! Great question. For the Teach & Learn in Spain Program, we recommend that students live near the school where they will be completing their assistantship. Many students live in Madrid capital or in Alcalá, it's based on their person preference. Some people like the busy city life and others prefer university cities like Alcalá. The great part of this program is that you will be in the...
Hi, yes we may accept candidates who reside in Asia, but we require native English speakers in the program. Please email us at [email protected] and we scheduole a meeting to chat :)

• Benefits 8.3
  • Facilities 8.5
Allie

MA in Bilingual & Multicultural Education

I really enjoyed this MA program and would recommend it to anyone interested in teaching. The staff was very helpful with visa paperwork and responding to questions/concerns from the very beginning. I liked the variety of classes we studied for the MA in Bilingual and Multicultural Education and had some very memorable professors. Advising and support is provided throughout the program, and the staff does its best to help students adjust to their teaching practicum and works with students and schools to find the best possible solutions. I’m now working in the US in the ESL field at the university level and am so grateful to the continuing support I’ve received from the UAH-IF administration. This MA is special because it gives you the opportunity to work, study, and live abroad in an incredible place!

What was your funniest moment?
The phonetics part of our linguistics class! We had some hilarious moments playing games.
Stewart

Life-changer

I did the Bilingual education masters in 2016 and it was a fantastic experience on both personal and professional levels. First of all, the campus is gorgeous, with centuries-old classrooms and flower-filled courtyards and cute little nooks to get your studying done. The application and visa process can be intimidating but they have an awesome helpful support staff to guide you through the process. The program itself packs in a huge amount of knowledge in a short amount of time, so be ready to study hard, but the instructors are skilled educators that make the process fun. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to advance their teaching career with an MA in a setting that can't be beat. Plus, you have an opportunity to meet like-minded fellow educators, and I for one met some lifelong friends through the program. Oh yeah and the staff rocks.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Hmm I guess it was when I fell in love with one of the professors.
Marissa

A Program with Perfect Balance

I wasn't entirely sure of what to expect when I enrolled in the Master's in Teaching Program at Instituto Franklin. The program seemed almost too good to be true, with its location in the idyllic small city of Alcala de Henares, the low cost of tuition, and a very practical course of study that combined weekly classes with a practicum as a teaching assistant at a local bilingual school.
However, Instituto Franklin not only delivered upon what it promised, but it guided me forward as I was able to build from the program's offerings and use the skills I worked on in the classroom to become more adept as a teacher and better equipped with the tools to set my career in motion. Each course is taught by a professor with a unique perspective and background in a particular area of education, and they were all very hands-on, candid, and active in mentoring us through the process of completing the program. Even for the most intimidating aspects of higher education, such as preparing thesis research or final projects, we were provided a great deal of support from the faculty and also permitted to explore a wide range of topics in accordance with our particular interests. I was able to live and teach in Alcala de Henares throughout my time at Instituto Franklin, and it is a wonderful, energetic place full of historic landmarks, great restaurants, beautiful parks, and I always felt safe at any hour walking through the streets of town. For anyone wanting to spend time abroad (especially in Spain!) while embarking upon a career in teaching, I highly recommend Instituto Franklin.

At certain points, I was interested in taking some of the courses offered for the other Master's programs at Instituto Franklin. It might be beneficial if they considered allowing some students to take these classes as electives or provided a dual degree option in the future.
Nicolle

Great and Valuable Experience

I am studying to be a language teacher in the United States, so this experience was very valuable to me. I still need a teaching degree from here to teach here but the degree I earned while in Spain was an invaluable addition to my resume. The classroom experience was also great. There is a difference between American and Spanish schools but I gained experience teaching and leading children. It was also interesting to see the difference in between teaching English and Spanish. I actually learned a lot about English! I loved using my Spanish to communicate and even had the time to make many trips to the local book store. Alcala is also a beautiful city with a lot to see and do! Madrid isn't too far either and the museums are amazing! I highly recommend this program as it can add to any resume and is an experience you won't always be able to have!

I know we are graduate students but I would have liked more class activities and chances to get together with my classmates. For example, a few organized trips around the country or something, I'm not very good a traveling on my own all the time.
Mark

Great experience

For me, the teach and learn program, and specifically the bilingual and multicultural education master, was an overall great experience. The year is certainly very intense and requires balancing many different things (teaching full time in a new city while studying and working with the masters program), but I would say it’s well worth it all in the end. I appreciate having been able to participate, and I learned and lot and had fun doing it. :)
To speak to more specific points, I found it useful to be able to have a well rounded approach to bilingual education as this is where my future work seems to be oriented now, but I would imagine that for most people, even those not necessarily interested in language or teaching, the program of study could be approached in a way that’s not overwhelmingly deep or outside of the common person’s interest. Personally, I found that the classes sparked an even greater interest in the field of language and will probably serve as the starting off point to a deeper dive into the field, but again, I imagine anyone could find interest and useful material in this masters program. It’s well balanced and IMPORTANTLY, the professors and faculty were there to answer questions and provide support at all steps along the way.

I would personally like to see (even more) linguistic classes added to the study program, although I realize there is a limit to the time available. Also, more integration of the materials learned in the masters program with the school would be nice, meaning perhaps more coordination between the schools and university. But again, all good in rhetrospect!
Patrick

Great Program

Extremely helpful and supportive staff, will answer any and all of your questions. The pay is great relative to the full time teachers in the community based on our weekly schedule, and it gives you a lot of time to plan other activities like intercambios, private lessons and trips to different cities and countries. It is a busy year but you will be provided be the time and support you need as long as you ask for it. If you are confused about something regarding the portfolio or thesis, ask about it. Proactivity is a must in order to optimize efficiency and enjoyment. The process of writing your thesis can be stressful so be sure to initiate communication between your thesis advisor early and often. If not, you may feel behind and unsupported. But remember it is your assignment, not your advisor’s, they can only help once you have put in the effort.

Jake

Excellent long-term benefits

Hi! I completed the Masters in Bilingual and Multicultural Education program in 2014, and it was undoubtedly THE most worthwhile and beneficial decision that I have made in my professional life. While the content was strong and instructors were knowledgeable during my time, the real benefits came after returning to the US; after some wrangling, I was able to get the degree fully recognized as equivalent to a US-accredited MA, and (after even more wrangling!) I was able to use the degree to obtain a Level I teaching certification in my home state. I'd be more than happy to help guide anyone through this process - just ask Iulia for my contact information! :)

I'm no longer teaching, but simply holding a US-recognized master's degree and having demonstrable language skills has given me a serious leg up in all walks of my professional life, and has brought me some really unique opportunities in the nearly five years since completing the program. You will absolutely get out of this program what you put into it, and it will be worth your time, effort, and dedication!

I know my cohort would have found some benefit in having alumni presentations/Q&A sessions on how to best navigate the homologación process once they return to the US, and maybe some insight on the benefits that the degree has even beyond the education realm. We were largely on our own after graduating, but that was in 2014!
Anonymous
No, I don't recommend this program

Not worth moving overseas for

This Masters program was a huge let down for many people. In the end, many concluded that the only true purpose it served was providing legal authorization to live in Spain if you're looking for a way to do that.
The Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language Masters can be improved by actually doing what the name implies--very few of us felt at the end like the Masters did a good job of teaching you how to teach the language (teachers with previous years of experience teaching Spanish and new teachers alike concluded this). We took deep, theoretical classes about the structure of the Spanish language but in terms of actual pedagogy, very little was applicable to the teaching job on the ground--maybe 20-30% of the coursework was.
Also, the thesis adviser told us all he would provide feedback on our theses (which had to be a curriculum design) and just never did! All we got was a number grade. We emailed several times and he just didn't respond. Very unfortunate since that feedback could have been used in our teaching jobs. I would not tell anyone to go out of their way to go to Spain for this program. Only worth it if you're needing a way to stay in Spain legally. And this is to say nothing of the hassle that is dealing with housing there. If you do it, make sure to set up your own job teaching English and pay your tuition yourself--the university takes a big cut if you go through them.

The Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language Masters can be improved by actually doing what the name implies--very few of us felt at the end like the Masters did a good job of teaching you how to teach the language. We took deep, theoretical classes about the structure of the Spanish language but in terms of actual pedagogy, very little was applicable to the teaching job on the ground. Also, the thesis adviser told us all he would provide feedback on our theses (which had to be a curriculum design) and just never did! We emailed several times and he just didn't respond. Very unfortunate since that feedback could have been used in our teaching jobs. I would not tell anyone to go out of their way to go to Spain for this program. Only worth it if you're needing a way to stay in Spain legally.
Matt

Teach & Learn: Unique opportunity for rewarding graduate school experiences at an unbeatable value

I participated in the Teach & Learn program at Universidad de Alcala's Instituto Franklin during the 2017-18 academic year. Since graduation, I have come to regard the experience as one of the most important pillars of my personal and professional trajectory.

This program is ideal for new or experienced teachers and anyone who wants to work within the educational field. I chose to pursue a Master of International Education, but there are a total of six different degrees that match the skills and interests of prospective applicants. Plus the transferrable skills gained during the program will be valuable to anyone, regardless of their career path.

Being able to work in an ESL classroom alongside experienced teachers was the most significant aspect of the program for me. This practical experience, coupled with the theoretical and academic exploration of education in my Master's classes, has significantly enhanced my skills as a teacher, but also in the areas of public speaking, workplace etiquette, professional networking, academic writing, and others.

The three different funding options allow for a great deal of flexibility when it comes to financing your degree. A similarly positioned Master's program in the United States would cost at least $35-40 thousand dollars, but since I chose to teach in a local school as part of my degree practicum, I never received a tuition bill as my labor helped offset the cost of tuition.

This program also offers a high degree of work-life balance. Between my commitments as an ESL teacher and my coursework at Instituto Franklin, I estimate that my time "on the clock" did not exceed 40 hours per week (except when wrapping up my thesis project in the final weeks). Pursuing a Master's degree while also working part-time originally seemed daunting, but I found that with enough foresight and time management I was able to juggle many competing priorities with a healthy level of stress. I appreciate this very much since I was really able to take advantage of living in a foreign country and didn't feel so overwhelmed from working all the time.

Lastly, the administrators and staff that operate the Teach & Learn program are very helpful, always friendly, and genuinely seem to care about their students' success and wellbeing. For example, many of my professors have offered career advice and expressed their willingness to serve as a reference for their students. I hope to always stay connected to the Instituto Franklin staff, and I will consider them to be lifelong friends and mentors. I also made great friends with my fellow students and still keep in touch with them on a regular basis even though several of us are thousands of miles away from each other.

In conclusion, the Teach & Learn program at Instituto Franklin is a unique opportunity that many people only wish they had the opportunity to pursue. I would highly recommend the experience to anyone!

Bryan

University of Alcalá - MA in Bilingual Education

I graduate from U of Alcalá's Instituto Franklin seven years ago now, and my experience there is still reaping benefits. For those who are looking to expand your academic, social, and global experiences, you really can't do better than Instituto Franklin. The faculty and staff were incredibly supportive and knowledgable. I taught in with great teachers in an excellent concertado in downtown Madrid -- teachers who tutored me well in the field of education and launched me on a new professional path (I'm a teacher now thanks to this program). The colleagues I met in classes were excellent: fun, engaged, and helpful. And the opportunity to travel while in Madrid is outstanding (visit Morocco, France, Britain, Italy, etc. via Ryan Air). This program, if you want it to, will stretch you, in soul and mind, in both comfortable and uncomfortable ways, which is to say in the very best of ways. I have recommended this program to many of my friends and will continue to do so.

Chap

Phenomenal Staff and Post Graduation Support

I had the absolute pleasure of working with the amazing people during my time at the instituto. She guided me through the post graduation process of obtaining documents for my career after IF. She was kind, compassionate and navigated the challenging waters of Spanish bureaucracy with effortless grace and composition. A true star in the administrative staff of an efficient management.

She was able to help me obtain my diploma from the Universidad de Alcala. As well as have it apostilled by the Hague. A step critical in achieving the level of employment I so desired. If it were not for her continued commitment to alumnus there is no doubt I would not be writing this review right now.

For anyone considering this program, you will find a truly inspiring staff of persons ready to be your advocates and bring success to your aspirations.

Bravo!

Muchas Gracias por todos.

Steven

The Most Authentic Way to Experience Spain

The Teach & Learn program is an excellent opportunity for anyone who wants to expand his or her perspective on what it is like to live in a foreign country. Many students have the opportunity to study abroad in a foreign country and tend to return to their home country with the cliched phrase "life-changing experience" on the tips of their tongues. The T&L program allows for a deeper and arguably more "life-changing" experience. I have come to realize that one doesn't really understand what it is like to live in another country until one works in that country. The process of gather paperwork for the visa, finding a place to live, worrying about finances, feeling stressed at times, and meeting Spaniards is all part of what makes the program so transformative.

Part of what makes this experience possible is the support of the Instituto Franklin staff. One feels at home here. Staff work to ensure that your time in Spain is as good as it can possibly be and that you feel supported. Any issue that I ever had was either resolved proactively or taken care of with a simple meeting with Instituto Franklin staff.

Lillian

Master In Teaching at Instituto Franklin-UAH

The Master in Teaching program at Instituto Franklin-UAH provided practical and theoretical knowledge for teaching in an ESL classroom. The classes were insightful, and the professors were very knowledgable in their fields of bilingual and international education. I especially enjoyed learning about comparative education systems. Developing communicative lessons for the classroom was another highlight of this program. The feedback from the professors and my classmates helped me to develop and improve my teaching skills. The Master in Teaching program helped me to reach my professional goals once back in the United States. This experience impressed employers, and it helped me to land my dream career of working with adult English Language Learners in Chicago.

The process of obtaining the official paperwork after graduation was a bit tedious. I would recommend starting the paperwork as soon as it is available for request. The faculty is helpful in clarifying what must be done to obtain the paperwork, though.
Kathy

Masters in Teaching

I completed my masters in Teaching in Institute De Franklin, in June 2016. I really enjoyed my time in Spain and was placed in a secondary bilingual school along side completing my masters. It was a challenge and I met some amazing people on the course. The lecturers were very helpful and encouraging. I continued to work another year in the school in IES Complutense as a teaching assistant. I returned to Ireland to work for 6 months and now I am starting work in Naples Italy in a school.
The masters was challenging at times but I found myself enjoying and rising to the challenge. We were given the tools to help us teach. We received great support from the staff of the university and have made some wonderful friends who also completed the course. I highley recommend doing this Masters in Teaching and loved my time in Spain.

I have not received my transcript but I believe its very complicated to do this. This should be part of our graduation and its expensive and complicated to complete.
Response from Instituto Franklin-UAH

Hi Kathy

Thank you for your feedback. Transcripts and diplomas can be ordered through Mi Portal on the Universidad de Alcalá site. The cost of each transcript is 27,54 Euros. It you need specific instructions on how to get your transcripts please refer to the document that we shared with you at the end of your studies, titled : The value of the MA Degree.

If you need any help please contact us at our admissions email and we will be happy to help you.

All the best,
Angela Sauciuc

Sam

Great Experience

In general I had a great experience. The program itself was well set up and the staff was very helpful. I found that most of my classes were applicable to the things I was teaching at my school. I learned a great deal, and all of my classes helped me to better serve my students in the Spanish education system. Although there was a lot of work to be done, I feel that the amount of schoolwork/ homework was compatible with the amount of hours I had to work during the week. It was a lot of work but definitely doable.
Something I loved was, the trouble free way that they go about helping you obtain your short-term visa. The Spanish bureaucracy can be difficult to navigate and their help with this process made things much easier.
As an alumna I keep in touch with the Instituto Franklin and find that it is a great networking tool.
Overall, the program served me well, I enjoyed my time there and I would definitely recommend this program for anyone who is passionate about the education system and who would like to learn about a different education system while getting hands-on experience.