Teach & Learn in Spain, Instituto Franklin-UAH

The Teach & Learn in Spain Program was established to provide English speakers the opportunity to earn a master’s degree while living in Spain. Our program allows students the flexibility to study, teach, and travel - without breaking the bank! This innovative program gives students hands-on experience in the classroom while they earn a master’s degree. Students also receive a monthly stipend and private health insurance.

This is a yearlong accredited academic program from the University of Alcala (60ECTS credits).
The cost of the program is:
€0 for Option A (scholarship option with tuition remission)
€3.800 for Option B

MA in Teaching
MA in Bilingual and Multicultural Education
MA in Global Higher Education

• 1 year program with blended Instruction: online and onsite
  • Hands on teaching experience at a school in the region of Madrid
  • Monthly stipend for assistantship
  • In the heart of the city of Miguel de Cervantes (author of Don Quijote)
  • Private health insurance included

Online courses for Spring 2021! Apply Now!

We are happy to announce that our Spring 2021 Online Program will be running! The application deadline is November 23rd, 2020. Students will earn 3 U.S. credits/course. Students may even choose a Virtual Internship!

Hi Jacob, thanks for your question! Our admissions process is designed to attract candidates who will thrive in both an academic and pedagogical context. We consider each application in its entirety and selection is based on merit. The acceptance rate depends on the program offered and the applicant pool year to year, so the best way to find out more about our rates of acceptance and...

Our program awards Master's degrees in fields relating to education. The degrees are from the University of Alcalá.

Thanks for your question! An undergraduate degree in any field (not just education) is a prerequisite for our program.

The list of nationalities we are able to consider applicants from is based on our partner programs' stipulations and requirements. Please contact us at admissions@institutofranklin.net to let us know about your specific situation so that we can advise you about your options!

• 9-10 rating 73.08%
  • 7-8 rating 23.08%
  • 3-4 rating 3.85%
  • Benefits 8.3
  • Facilities 8.5
Gwendolyn

Amazing program filled with amazing people

I did this program after I finished my UG in 2017. I had already a love for Spain and education. When I found out this with this program I could continue my study in education and actually teach while being in Spain I was very happy. The location of the school is honestly the heart of Spain there is so much history and that happens in Alcala and every corner is so beautiful. The professors are so kind and helpful. Even after being done with the program I still stay in contact with my professors (helps me practice my Spanish too!). I am now done and I am back in the Sates (NYC) I was able to find a teaching job. They loved that I studied and taught in Spain. It definitely made my resume stand out.

What was your funniest moment?
Where do I even start haha! But I honestly had a great group of colleagues and every Friday was never a dull moment.
Gabriele

Unforgettable, Valuable , and Unique Experience

The Teach and Learn in Spain program granted me the freedom to travel, practice Spanish, and earn a Master's Degree in my desired field of study for an extremely low cost and high reward. This degree gave me the ability to teach Spanish at a notable private school in upstate New York. It has also taken me to China where I teach bilingual STEM and Science courses each summer. Most recently, it was my academic achievements at UAH that transferred to NYU where I will be continuing my studies in Speech-Langauge Pathology this coming semester.

Although UAH handed us some, admittedly annoying, challenges, such as working out communication and travel flaws between the university and our school placements and finding accommodation, I wouldn't trade it for the world- in hind-sight. Also, be advised that the diploma and transcripts do take several months to receive!
I give this program an overall 9/10 because the faculty are some of the most enjoyable, helpful, and understanding people you will meet. Your fellow classmates will become life-long friends. It is guaranteed that your experience living, working, and teaching in Spain will be at the top of your most rewarding career choices you will make.

I would improve the proximity of the school placements (I think they have changed this some already?) and the process for receiving the diploma and transcripts.
Allie

MA in Bilingual & Multicultural Education

I really enjoyed this MA program and would recommend it to anyone interested in teaching. The staff was very helpful with visa paperwork and responding to questions/concerns from the very beginning. I liked the variety of classes we studied for the MA in Bilingual and Multicultural Education and had some very memorable professors. Advising and support is provided throughout the program, and the staff does its best to help students adjust to their teaching practicum and works with students and schools to find the best possible solutions. I’m now working in the US in the ESL field at the university level and am so grateful to the continuing support I’ve received from the UAH-IF administration. This MA is special because it gives you the opportunity to work, study, and live abroad in an incredible place!

What was your funniest moment?
The phonetics part of our linguistics class! We had some hilarious moments playing games.
Stewart

Life-changer

I did the Bilingual education masters in 2016 and it was a fantastic experience on both personal and professional levels. First of all, the campus is gorgeous, with centuries-old classrooms and flower-filled courtyards and cute little nooks to get your studying done. The application and visa process can be intimidating but they have an awesome helpful support staff to guide you through the process. The program itself packs in a huge amount of knowledge in a short amount of time, so be ready to study hard, but the instructors are skilled educators that make the process fun. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to advance their teaching career with an MA in a setting that can't be beat. Plus, you have an opportunity to meet like-minded fellow educators, and I for one met some lifelong friends through the program. Oh yeah and the staff rocks.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Hmm I guess it was when I fell in love with one of the professors.
Marissa

A Program with Perfect Balance

I wasn't entirely sure of what to expect when I enrolled in the Master's in Teaching Program at Instituto Franklin. The program seemed almost too good to be true, with its location in the idyllic small city of Alcala de Henares, the low cost of tuition, and a very practical course of study that combined weekly classes with a practicum as a teaching assistant at a local bilingual school.
However, Instituto Franklin not only delivered upon what it promised, but it guided me forward as I was able to build from the program's offerings and use the skills I worked on in the classroom to become more adept as a teacher and better equipped with the tools to set my career in motion. Each course is taught by a professor with a unique perspective and background in a particular area of education, and they were all very hands-on, candid, and active in mentoring us through the process of completing the program. Even for the most intimidating aspects of higher education, such as preparing thesis research or final projects, we were provided a great deal of support from the faculty and also permitted to explore a wide range of topics in accordance with our particular interests. I was able to live and teach in Alcala de Henares throughout my time at Instituto Franklin, and it is a wonderful, energetic place full of historic landmarks, great restaurants, beautiful parks, and I always felt safe at any hour walking through the streets of town. For anyone wanting to spend time abroad (especially in Spain!) while embarking upon a career in teaching, I highly recommend Instituto Franklin.

At certain points, I was interested in taking some of the courses offered for the other Master's programs at Instituto Franklin. It might be beneficial if they considered allowing some students to take these classes as electives or provided a dual degree option in the future.
Nicolle

Great and Valuable Experience

I am studying to be a language teacher in the United States, so this experience was very valuable to me. I still need a teaching degree from here to teach here but the degree I earned while in Spain was an invaluable addition to my resume. The classroom experience was also great. There is a difference between American and Spanish schools but I gained experience teaching and leading children. It was also interesting to see the difference in between teaching English and Spanish. I actually learned a lot about English! I loved using my Spanish to communicate and even had the time to make many trips to the local book store. Alcala is also a beautiful city with a lot to see and do! Madrid isn't too far either and the museums are amazing! I highly recommend this program as it can add to any resume and is an experience you won't always be able to have!

I know we are graduate students but I would have liked more class activities and chances to get together with my classmates. For example, a few organized trips around the country or something, I'm not very good a traveling on my own all the time.
Mark

Great experience

For me, the teach and learn program, and specifically the bilingual and multicultural education master, was an overall great experience. The year is certainly very intense and requires balancing many different things (teaching full time in a new city while studying and working with the masters program), but I would say it’s well worth it all in the end. I appreciate having been able to participate, and I learned and lot and had fun doing it. :)
To speak to more specific points, I found it useful to be able to have a well rounded approach to bilingual education as this is where my future work seems to be oriented now, but I would imagine that for most people, even those not necessarily interested in language or teaching, the program of study could be approached in a way that’s not overwhelmingly deep or outside of the common person’s interest. Personally, I found that the classes sparked an even greater interest in the field of language and will probably serve as the starting off point to a deeper dive into the field, but again, I imagine anyone could find interest and useful material in this masters program. It’s well balanced and IMPORTANTLY, the professors and faculty were there to answer questions and provide support at all steps along the way.

I would personally like to see (even more) linguistic classes added to the study program, although I realize there is a limit to the time available. Also, more integration of the materials learned in the masters program with the school would be nice, meaning perhaps more coordination between the schools and university. But again, all good in rhetrospect!
Patrick

Great Program

Extremely helpful and supportive staff, will answer any and all of your questions. The pay is great relative to the full time teachers in the community based on our weekly schedule, and it gives you a lot of time to plan other activities like intercambios, private lessons and trips to different cities and countries. It is a busy year but you will be provided be the time and support you need as long as you ask for it. If you are confused about something regarding the portfolio or thesis, ask about it. Proactivity is a must in order to optimize efficiency and enjoyment. The process of writing your thesis can be stressful so be sure to initiate communication between your thesis advisor early and often. If not, you may feel behind and unsupported. But remember it is your assignment, not your advisor’s, they can only help once you have put in the effort.