Teach & Learn in Spain, Instituto Franklin-UAH

Lucy Ortega 2018 Graduate
Lucy Ortega 2018 Graduate
Teach for a Year, Learn for Life
Teach for a Year, Learn for Life

The Teach & Learn in Spain Program was established to provide English speakers the opportunity to earn a master’s degree while living in Spain. Our program allows students the flexibility to study, teach, and travel - without breaking the bank! This innovative program gives students hands-on experience in the classroom while they earn a master’s degree. Students also receive a monthly stipend and private health insurance.

This is a yearlong accredited academic program from the University of Alcala (60ECTS credits).
The cost of the program is:
€0 for Option A (scholarship option with tuition remission)
€3.800 for Option B

MA in Teaching
MA in Bilingual and Multicultural Education
MA in Global Higher Education

• 1 year program with blended Instruction: online and onsite
  • Hands on teaching experience at a school in the region of Madrid
  • Monthly stipend for assistantship
  • In the heart of the city of Miguel de Cervantes (author of Don Quijote)
  • Private health insurance included

New Courses for International Studies Program 2021

Students choose 1 course in each block. BLOCK 1: Serial Murderers: A Global Perspective; The Transatlantic African Diaspora & Spanish Nexus; Luis Muñoz Marín and the Foundation of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. BLOCK 2: "Reacting" to Early America; Intercultural Communication. BLOCK 3: Male Violence Against Women; Crimes Against Humanity/Genocide; Black Arts Movement.

Our program awards Master's degrees in fields relating to education. The degrees are from the University of Alcalá.

Thanks for your question! An undergraduate degree in any field (not just education) is a prerequisite for our program.

Hi Caroline! Great question. For the Teach & Learn in Spain Program, we recommend that students live near the school where they will be completing their assistantship. Many students live in Madrid capital or in Alcalá, it's based on their person preference. Some people like the busy city life and others prefer university cities like Alcalá. The great part of this program is that you will be in the...

• Benefits 8.3
  • Facilities 8.5
Allie

MA in Bilingual & Multicultural Education

I really enjoyed this MA program and would recommend it to anyone interested in teaching. The staff was very helpful with visa paperwork and responding to questions/concerns from the very beginning. I liked the variety of classes we studied for the MA in Bilingual and Multicultural Education and had some very memorable professors. Advising and support is provided throughout the program, and the staff does its best to help students adjust to their teaching practicum and works with students and schools to find the best possible solutions. I’m now working in the US in the ESL field at the university level and am so grateful to the continuing support I’ve received from the UAH-IF administration. This MA is special because it gives you the opportunity to work, study, and live abroad in an incredible place!

What was your funniest moment?
The phonetics part of our linguistics class! We had some hilarious moments playing games.
Stewart

Life-changer

I did the Bilingual education masters in 2016 and it was a fantastic experience on both personal and professional levels. First of all, the campus is gorgeous, with centuries-old classrooms and flower-filled courtyards and cute little nooks to get your studying done. The application and visa process can be intimidating but they have an awesome helpful support staff to guide you through the process. The program itself packs in a huge amount of knowledge in a short amount of time, so be ready to study hard, but the instructors are skilled educators that make the process fun. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to advance their teaching career with an MA in a setting that can't be beat. Plus, you have an opportunity to meet like-minded fellow educators, and I for one met some lifelong friends through the program. Oh yeah and the staff rocks.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Hmm I guess it was when I fell in love with one of the professors.
Marissa

A Program with Perfect Balance

I wasn't entirely sure of what to expect when I enrolled in the Master's in Teaching Program at Instituto Franklin. The program seemed almost too good to be true, with its location in the idyllic small city of Alcala de Henares, the low cost of tuition, and a very practical course of study that combined weekly classes with a practicum as a teaching assistant at a local bilingual school.
However, Instituto Franklin not only delivered upon what it promised, but it guided me forward as I was able to build from the program's offerings and use the skills I worked on in the classroom to become more adept as a teacher and better equipped with the tools to set my career in motion. Each course is taught by a professor with a unique perspective and background in a particular area of education, and they were all very hands-on, candid, and active in mentoring us through the process of completing the program. Even for the most intimidating aspects of higher education, such as preparing thesis research or final projects, we were provided a great deal of support from the faculty and also permitted to explore a wide range of topics in accordance with our particular interests. I was able to live and teach in Alcala de Henares throughout my time at Instituto Franklin, and it is a wonderful, energetic place full of historic landmarks, great restaurants, beautiful parks, and I always felt safe at any hour walking through the streets of town. For anyone wanting to spend time abroad (especially in Spain!) while embarking upon a career in teaching, I highly recommend Instituto Franklin.

At certain points, I was interested in taking some of the courses offered for the other Master's programs at Instituto Franklin. It might be beneficial if they considered allowing some students to take these classes as electives or provided a dual degree option in the future.
Nicolle

Great and Valuable Experience

I am studying to be a language teacher in the United States, so this experience was very valuable to me. I still need a teaching degree from here to teach here but the degree I earned while in Spain was an invaluable addition to my resume. The classroom experience was also great. There is a difference between American and Spanish schools but I gained experience teaching and leading children. It was also interesting to see the difference in between teaching English and Spanish. I actually learned a lot about English! I loved using my Spanish to communicate and even had the time to make many trips to the local book store. Alcala is also a beautiful city with a lot to see and do! Madrid isn't too far either and the museums are amazing! I highly recommend this program as it can add to any resume and is an experience you won't always be able to have!

I know we are graduate students but I would have liked more class activities and chances to get together with my classmates. For example, a few organized trips around the country or something, I'm not very good a traveling on my own all the time.
Mark

Great experience

For me, the teach and learn program, and specifically the bilingual and multicultural education master, was an overall great experience. The year is certainly very intense and requires balancing many different things (teaching full time in a new city while studying and working with the masters program), but I would say it’s well worth it all in the end. I appreciate having been able to participate, and I learned and lot and had fun doing it. :)
To speak to more specific points, I found it useful to be able to have a well rounded approach to bilingual education as this is where my future work seems to be oriented now, but I would imagine that for most people, even those not necessarily interested in language or teaching, the program of study could be approached in a way that’s not overwhelmingly deep or outside of the common person’s interest. Personally, I found that the classes sparked an even greater interest in the field of language and will probably serve as the starting off point to a deeper dive into the field, but again, I imagine anyone could find interest and useful material in this masters program. It’s well balanced and IMPORTANTLY, the professors and faculty were there to answer questions and provide support at all steps along the way.

I would personally like to see (even more) linguistic classes added to the study program, although I realize there is a limit to the time available. Also, more integration of the materials learned in the masters program with the school would be nice, meaning perhaps more coordination between the schools and university. But again, all good in rhetrospect!
Patrick

Great Program

Extremely helpful and supportive staff, will answer any and all of your questions. The pay is great relative to the full time teachers in the community based on our weekly schedule, and it gives you a lot of time to plan other activities like intercambios, private lessons and trips to different cities and countries. It is a busy year but you will be provided be the time and support you need as long as you ask for it. If you are confused about something regarding the portfolio or thesis, ask about it. Proactivity is a must in order to optimize efficiency and enjoyment. The process of writing your thesis can be stressful so be sure to initiate communication between your thesis advisor early and often. If not, you may feel behind and unsupported. But remember it is your assignment, not your advisor’s, they can only help once you have put in the effort.

Jake

Excellent long-term benefits

Hi! I completed the Masters in Bilingual and Multicultural Education program in 2014, and it was undoubtedly THE most worthwhile and beneficial decision that I have made in my professional life. While the content was strong and instructors were knowledgeable during my time, the real benefits came after returning to the US; after some wrangling, I was able to get the degree fully recognized as equivalent to a US-accredited MA, and (after even more wrangling!) I was able to use the degree to obtain a Level I teaching certification in my home state. I'd be more than happy to help guide anyone through this process - just ask Iulia for my contact information! :)

I'm no longer teaching, but simply holding a US-recognized master's degree and having demonstrable language skills has given me a serious leg up in all walks of my professional life, and has brought me some really unique opportunities in the nearly five years since completing the program. You will absolutely get out of this program what you put into it, and it will be worth your time, effort, and dedication!

I know my cohort would have found some benefit in having alumni presentations/Q&A sessions on how to best navigate the homologación process once they return to the US, and maybe some insight on the benefits that the degree has even beyond the education realm. We were largely on our own after graduating, but that was in 2014!
Anonymous
No, I don't recommend this program

Not worth moving overseas for

This Masters program was a huge let down for many people. In the end, many concluded that the only true purpose it served was providing legal authorization to live in Spain if you're looking for a way to do that.
The Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language Masters can be improved by actually doing what the name implies--very few of us felt at the end like the Masters did a good job of teaching you how to teach the language (teachers with previous years of experience teaching Spanish and new teachers alike concluded this). We took deep, theoretical classes about the structure of the Spanish language but in terms of actual pedagogy, very little was applicable to the teaching job on the ground--maybe 20-30% of the coursework was.
Also, the thesis adviser told us all he would provide feedback on our theses (which had to be a curriculum design) and just never did! All we got was a number grade. We emailed several times and he just didn't respond. Very unfortunate since that feedback could have been used in our teaching jobs. I would not tell anyone to go out of their way to go to Spain for this program. Only worth it if you're needing a way to stay in Spain legally. And this is to say nothing of the hassle that is dealing with housing there. If you do it, make sure to set up your own job teaching English and pay your tuition yourself--the university takes a big cut if you go through them.

The Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language Masters can be improved by actually doing what the name implies--very few of us felt at the end like the Masters did a good job of teaching you how to teach the language. We took deep, theoretical classes about the structure of the Spanish language but in terms of actual pedagogy, very little was applicable to the teaching job on the ground. Also, the thesis adviser told us all he would provide feedback on our theses (which had to be a curriculum design) and just never did! We emailed several times and he just didn't respond. Very unfortunate since that feedback could have been used in our teaching jobs. I would not tell anyone to go out of their way to go to Spain for this program. Only worth it if you're needing a way to stay in Spain legally.