• Spain
    • Madrid
Term
Academic Year, Fall, J-Term, Short Term, Spring, Summer
American Studies Architecture Art History Arts Business Communications Creative Writing Criminal Justice Cultural Studies Economics Education English European Studies Finance Global Studies Health Sciences Hispanic Studies History Humanities International Business International Relations Journalism Language Studies Liberal Arts Linguistics Literature Marketing Political Science Pre-Med Public Relations Service Learning Social Sciences Theater Tourism U.S. Studies +25

Program Details

J-Term Three weeks: € 2,050
You get:
Tuition
Universidad de Alcalá credits
Homestays in families in Alcalá (three meals a day & once a week laundry service) or university dorms (meal plan)*
Orientation Sessions
University services
Health Insurance
Student card
Cultural trips and activities
Airport pickup (on scheduled dates).

Check out our website for Student Discounts!
What's Included

What's Not Included
Airfare SIM cards Visa
Jun 03, 2021
Sep 16, 2021

Come study at one of Spain’s oldest and most prestigious public universities, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1998. Enjoy the historic architecture, traditional tapas, charming locals, and vibrant university-city life in Alcalá de Henares, also known as the City of Cervantes (and Don Quijote)!

Established in 1987, Instituto Franklin-UAH offers specialized educational programs with the Universidad de Alcalá. We offer different areas of study in Spanish- from beginner to advanced. Students are immersed in rich Castillian culture and only 35 minutes from the city center of Madrid. We offer language and content courses, internships, and student teaching!

The cost of the program is affordable for students and includes room and board, health insurance, airport pickup, excursions, and more.

Program Highlights

• 30 years of a experience teaching international students.
  • UAH is ranked 5th best university in Spain (U-Ranking) and top 200 universities in the world (QS World University Rankings).
  • Alcalá is a large city, but with a home town vibe. Tons of events in every season because we are a university city.
  • Excellent public transportation system. It's 30 min by train to Madrid and 20 min to the airport..
  • Internships and Experiential Learning Opportunities.

Brooke

Alcalá is a dream!

Alcalá de Henares is such a wonderful Spanish city. There is so much history and literature and life to experience there. I always felt safe, and I never felt like there wasn't something fun to do around the next corner. Try tinto de verano and patatas bravas in the Plaza de Cervantes, you will not regret it. Get a café con leche and visit the Universidad de Alcalá where classes about Don Quijote mesmerize students like me from around the world. I highly recommend you give this dreamy place a visit!

Adrian

Verano en Alcala

I really enjoyed my time studying abroad this summer. Being able to see many cities in Spain while studying Spanish in Alcala was a very memorable experience and I had loads of fun. Not only did my Spanish improve tremendously but I was also able to have an incredible time, meet lots of new people, and see new parts of Spain that I had previously never visited. Also the material that we learned in the classroom added a layer of depth to the entire experience as many of the things we learned were directly applicable to the experiences we were having.

What was your funniest moment?
Exploring Alcala and being able to take the train to Madrid on the weekends.
Chelsea

Alcalá de Henares July 2021

Alcalá de Henares is a quaint, leisurely city with a family-friendly ambience. It is best for those who want to get away from the fast-paced environment of a big city, although it is only an hour train ride away from the lively downtown of Madrid. My study abroad program was amazing because of the beautiful city and because all of the program staff were welcoming, and had some great recommendations for places to visit! I stayed for a month and think it was a good amount of time to appreciate what the city had to offer. Visit if you have the chance!

It would be amazing if students could vote for which program excursions they would like to partake in or which cities they would like to visit. For example, many students had already seen the places pointed out during the walking tour of Madrid, but it would have been nice to go inside the Royal Palace.
1 person found this review helpful.
Kaili

Wonderful Experience

Studying abroad can seem extremely daunting at first glance. I had so many questions and concerns leading up to the trip. However, I am so happy that I picked this program. The location is absolutely beautiful. There is so much to see just within walking distance! I had the best host mom who made my house mate and I feel right at home. The faculty were incredibly supportive and kind! The classes I took were so engaging and fun. I left with way more confidence in speaking the language as well. I could not believe with how much more Spanish I picked up in just a month!

Do everything! Speak to as many people as you can and do as many things as you can. Everything you do will enrich your experience. You will remember this experience for the rest of your life and you don't want to look back and regret anything!
Raz

A wonderful cultural experience

The Instituto was phenomenal with my semester abroad. All classes were taught in Spanish, and I lived with a host family. These two aspects were wonderful for my cultural immersion and growth in Spanish. I am truly appreciative of the staff who I have grown close with over the semester. They were always helpful, attentive, and supportive of me. One unique part about this program are the excursion, which I wish I had taken more advantage of. They went to Toledo, Segovia, La Valle de los Caidos, and more. With this program I not only made friends from around Spain, but also around the US. I also grown close to the professors and staff and got to know them outside of the classroom, like at futbol games and cooking classes. Without a doubt, living with a host family was one of my biggest stresses, but I have grown so close to them over the semester, and my understanding of the Spanish culture, language, and literature was truly enriched. Yes, having classes all in Spanish was a challenge, but that helped me so much with presenting, writing, and speaking in Spanish. All of these aspects helped me achieve my semester goals abroad, and it's an experience I will never forget.

Read my full story
Heather

A Fun Learning Experience!

My experience was unique in that I became almost fluent in Spanish during my stay. I minored in Spanish during undergrad, but I was completely unaware of my capabilities until I was immersed in the language in Spain. Staying in a host home had its pros and cons, but I took the opportunity to speak as much Spanish as I could with my host family (who did not speak any English), and I was very surprised at how much I learned at OU and was able to apply abroad! We traveled and saw beautiful cities and parts of Spain that I did not know existed. Ibiza was my favorite; a group of us traveled there on our long weekend. The food in Spain is different but delicious, and fútbol is a huge part of the culture I thoroughly enjoyed. Being in Madrid during the Champions league final was exhilarating!

I loved staying in the host home and being immersed in the Spanish language while getting to know my Spanish family. However, the 40 minute walk to and from class was a little far (we sometimes had to make the trek six times a day if we wanted to go home in between classes and activities). My roommate and I ended up buying a 20-trip bus pass around Alcalá, which helped, but being closer to the university would have been useful.
roberson

Study Abroad experience

Truly has been a wonderfull experience. I will others about it and might come to experience the same I did. I will do it again and again if I had to do it again. I felt in love with Alcala, specially the university and the city of Madrid. Great school, great food, great people. I love Madrid, almost everything about. I am going to leave Madrid on sunday for England with tears in my eyes, but I will come back soon. I wish next time I come to Spain to travel more. I did a lot of travel but that was not enough. I have been almost all over. From Sevilla to Barcelona, from Barcelona to Madrid, from Madrid to Toledo last from friday with school. I have been to Valladolid, to many museum and touristics sites. I have enjoyed every bit of it. Bye..

My Spanish skills and as well as communication skills.
Katie

Best Semester of My Life

It has been two years since my time at UAH, and I still can't believe how lucky I was to be involved with this program. The classes were interesting, challenging but not impossible, and used relevant information to enrich our experiences in Spain. The faculty not only were a great resource academically, but also genuinely cared about our well-being during our time abroad. They understood that it was not always easy, and were constantly available to help us in any way they could. The program was also great because they coordinated trips for us that were extremely well thought out. During the trips, there was a great balance of allowing us space to be young adults and giving us educational experiences. I can't recommend this program enough for how much it improved my Spanish-speaking skills and my outlook on life as a whole.