Study Abroad in Spain with Instituto Franklin-UAH

Come study at one of Spain’s oldest and prestigious public university, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1998. Enjoy the historic architecture, traditional tapas, the charming locals, and vibrant university-city life in Alcala de Henares, also known as the City of Cervantes!

The Study Abroad in Spain program was established in 1987 with the mission of promoting academic collaboration between Spain and the US through specialized educational programs. We cater to students with different areas of study and with different levels of Spanish, from beginner to advanced.

The cost of the program is affordable for students and ranges from 1890.00 euros to 7780.00 depending on the length of stay and number of credits taken.

• 30 years of a experience teaching international students.
  • Alcalá is a large city, but with a home town vibe. Tons of events in every season because we are a university city.
  • Excellent public transportation system. Its 30min by train to Madrid.
  • Our privileged location allows easy travel both within Spain and around Europe
  • Affordable program and all inclusive (except for flights)

Katie

Best Semester of My Life

It has been two years since my time at UAH, and I still can't believe how lucky I was to be involved with this program. The classes were interesting, challenging but not impossible, and used relevant information to enrich our experiences in Spain. The faculty not only were a great resource academically, but also genuinely cared about our well-being during our time abroad. They understood that it was not always easy, and were constantly available to help us in any way they could. The program was also great because they coordinated trips for us that were extremely well thought out. During the trips, there was a great balance of allowing us space to be young adults and giving us educational experiences. I can't recommend this program enough for how much it improved my Spanish-speaking skills and my outlook on life as a whole.

Rachel

Instituto Franklin-UAH 10/10

I loved studying in La UAH and living in Alcalá so much so that I am planning on returning back to Alcalá to get my masters! My home institute is The College of New Jersey but I consider this study abroad program to be the peak of my collegiate experience. I learned about the Spanish culture, litertuare, and linguistics. My favorite memory was going on a class trip to La Alhambra and being able to appreciate the architecture in a newfound way. I would recommend traveling with students from other universities and visiting the city with your classmates, locals, or other vagabonds yearning to interact with this world and one another. Or just stay in Alcalá the whole semester and trek the beautiful landscape and become a regular at a restaurant! I’m so excited to go back and enjoy more of what Miguel de Cervante’s birthtown has to offer.

Joseph

Spring 2010 Semester Abroad

I studied at Instituto Franklin - UAH in Alcalá de Henares, (Madrid), Spain, during the spring semester of my sophomore year. It was the greatest language learning experience of my life. I think the three best things about Study Abroad at Instituto Franklin are the homestay program, the university classes, and the university-organized trips throughout Madrid and Spain. My Spanish host family was patient, caring, and radically hospitable. We still keep in touch to this day. Alcalá de Henares is a fairly large city within the Madrid metropolitan area. Despite its sizeable population, Alcalá still manages to have the feel of a small town. In fact, it's historic center is arguably one of the most beautiful in Spain, all the while being well communicated with public transport to the center of Madrid by train and by bus.

At the university, I studied some of Cervantes' masterworks. The professors at Instituto Franklin are experts not only in the content of their courses, but also at teaching Spanish to English speakers. One memorable trip we took was to visit the windmills at Consuegra. There our class reenacted one of our favorite scenes from El Quijote in Spanish, using a script that we collaborated to write.

It would be nice if classes included Spanish university students, and not only native English speakers. However, the benefit of having classes with all English speakers is that professors suit lessons for non-native Spanish speakers.
Kelly

A home away from home

In the past, I've told people that I lucked out with my study abroad experience, but really no luck comes into play once you choose to travel to Alcala de Henares... The entire area is everything you hope to find in a study abroad experience, host families who become your own family, teachers who are there to help and support you and an incredibly group of students who are all in the program for the right reasons.

With everything being so close to Madrid, you get the best of both worlds. Humble and honest living in Alcala and the big city online a train ride away. It also makes it very easy and affordable to travel to other cities in Spain as well as to different countries.

Classes are great, there are options that allow you to really challenge yourself, as well as classes that help you brush up on your basic skills. The entrance test is nothing to worry about it, it measures your level of Spanish and very accurately places you in classes you should be in. I took a dance and music class, Spanish history, Spanish geography and Don Quixote. I loved every single one for various reasons but especially because the learning wasn't limited to the classroom, the field trips and excursions we went on were the cherry on top.

I have nothing but great things to say about the program at Instituto Franklin and that is telling you the complete truth. I would suggest anybody who is considering this program, search people who attended Universidad de Alcala - Instituto Franklin on Facebook and send them a quick message.

I only wish I had more time with everyone I was with. I left having made lifelong friendships with the other students in the program, the teachers, the locals and especially my host family.
Kacey

Soak in the small town of Alcala and big city Madrid in one semester!

I could not recommend this program more enthusiastically. First, the staff are welcoming and warm people who will help you navigate the various challenges of being abroad. I got sick while I was there and one of the professors went with me to the doctor to make sure I was okay. Second, the host family experience is a challenging and rewarding component. My host parents were so generous and supportive throughout my time in Spain. It is a great way to learn the language and the culture day in and day out. During meals, we would talk about local politics (per my own interests) and the differences between our cultures and opinions. Third, you truly cannot beat the location. Alcala is a medium-sized town that revolves around the large university. There is plenty to do and lots of people from all ages. The Don Quixote festival is the fall cannot be missed- it is gorgeous and the food is amazing. It is the largest Medieval festival in Europe! Then, you're a 40 minute train ride from Madrid, which is full of amazing museums, food, the list goes on. Plus, Madrid has a major airport to travel all over Europe! Because of this awesome location, you get an extra special classroom experience. We learned about Picasso in the classroom, then we took a field trip and saw his work in person at museums in Madrid. The program also invites students from all classes to attend the class field trips. So maybe one class is going to a museum, and you're interested but not in the class, you're welcome to attend! This program helped me expand my view of the world and soak up every second of my time abroad. All I have to say is GO!

About Instituto Franklin-UAH

Instituto Franklin- Universidad de Alcalá is the only University Institute for Research on North America in Spain. Founded in 1987, Instituto Franklin-UAH provides postgraduate research, scholarships and grants, dissemination of publications,...