CIEE Summer Language + Culture in Alcalá de Henares, Spain

Spend the summer developing advanced language skills and immersing yourself in Spanish culture in the vibrant, beautiful city of Alcalá de Henares.

Through a wide range of Spanish-taught courses, homestays, and various cultural activities and excursions, studying abroad in Spain offers you a unique and exciting intercultural experience.

Study abroad in Spain and you will:

- Improve your Spanish language skills while living in a provincial city near the metropolis of Madrid

- Participate in frequent excursions that take advantage of the rich cultural happenings in Alcalá and Madrid during the summer, as well as in short excursions to nearby sites of historical interest such as Toledo, Segovia, and Cuenca

- Enjoy one longer excursion to Asturias-Cantabria (Session I) and Valencia (Session II)

Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship to Ireland!

Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship is a unique international program to develop change leaders who make an impact on their community and the world.

This fully funded summer 2021 study abroad program to Dublin, Ireland is developed for students of color with special emphasis on leadership, social justice, agitation for positive change and cross-cultural understanding.

CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Lauren

Study abroad in Alcalá de Henares

I had an incredible time in Alcalá. Although it’s a rather small city, its history and proximity to other places makes it an ideal place to study abroad. Alcalá itself is a pretty tranquil place, and nearly everything is within walking distance. The things that are farther are easily accessible using the very easy-to-navigate public transportation system. Not only is there a lot of history to learn, there’s also great food, and hikes nearby. The Cerros de Alcalá are a beautiful place to spend an afternoon hiking, and the view of the landscape and city is phenomenal. Alcalá is also very close to Madrid—only 30-45 minutes on the train—which makes it very easy to go to Madrid for an afternoon or weekend to see all of the museums and sites there.

I would have spent much more time utilizing local resources to connect with Spaniards to improve my language skills. By the time I thought about doing so, I had practically finished the program!
Maggie

Alcalá de Henares

This is a great program! This program appealed to me for its length, language immersion, and classes offered. It will directly transfer credits to my home university which is awesome. I wish the classes were easier, but since I am getting 6 credits in 4 weeks it makes sense. The city is perfect. It is super accessible to Madrid, where I have gone for food, museums and a concert. CIEE got us transport cards. Alcalá itself is a smaller city that is perfect for anyone wanting to improve their language skills. Through CIEE we were able to take excursions and they took care of everything. Not to mention, the site leaders were some of the coolest and kindest people I've met. I am sad to end my program but plan to see my host family in the future.

My only thing was I wished we would have known more about housing beforehand. I stayed with the greatest host family ever, but I didn't find out their information before a week before leaving. However, it still gave me time to communicate with them and feel comfortable before leaving.