Seated in the center of Spain, the capital city is not only the political and cultural center of the country, but an important player in global economics. Despite its present-day status, much of Madrid’s historic past remains beautifully preserved in its landmarks, museums, and architecture.
A huge variety of tapas bars, dance shows, concerts, outdoor parks, soccer matches, ethnic neighborhoods, and contemporary theater and cinema make it a lively place to live and learn.
- Soak up Spanish culture with museum visits, dance classes, urban art and graffiti tours, and neighborhood visits in Lavapiés, Malasaña or La Latina.
- Explore beyond Madrid with day trips to Toledo, the Monastery of El Escorial, or the UNESCO World Heritage sites such as Toledo and Alcalá de Henares.
- Visits to Seville, Barcelona, Granada, Bilbao, the Canary Islands, or Morocco
- Depending on their program of study, language ability, and availability, students may be able to participate in an internship or volunteer.
- Do Madrid on your own terms by customizing your experience through the Open Campus program. Take one, two, or three six-week blocks, select your academic track from six options, then choose your courses from a wide range of subject areas.
Study Abroad Risk Free!
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!
We know cost is one of the biggest barriers to studying abroad. At CIEE, we dedicate real resources to help break down the cost barriers so every student who wants to study abroad, can do so.
Develop your Spanish language skills this summer, explore historical 20th century events that shaped modern Spain, and discuss how art is used as a creative tool for political activism.
Come to Madrid and take your advanced Spanish language skills to the next level in one of the world’s most energetic, artistic, and cosmopolitan cities.
CIEE’s January in Madrid program invites students of all majors to explore world-famous artists and their art featured in the city’s many museums.